View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Do mushrooms make you lethargic?

ahint

Bluelighter
Hey, sorry if this is an easy question to google but I haven't found anything and kind of wanted personalised advice.

So I'm considering doing mushrooms for the first time in the next month or so. I've tripped five times (four times on LSD, once on 2c-b) with no issues, I've done ketamine quite a lot with no issues if that's relevant, but I cannot handle weed at all, not even a bit and pretty much every time I've tried it (regardless of good set and setting) I haven't been able to hack it. There's something about the headspace and the lethargic, heavy, dragged down body high that makes me really freak out. I'm quite nervous to try shrooms as I've heard they can have this type of body high, and if they do I'll stay away.

So basically, I'm asking do shrooms make you lethargic and heavy in the way weed does?

Thanks for reading!

I definitely get tired on shrooms. They're not stimulating like acid. That hasn't stopped me from going on long hikes on them, so it's not like you get couch locked, but it's definitely somewhat lethargic.

There is body load with mushrooms for sure. I couldn't quite call it heavy/lethargic, though my memory is a little off since it's been over a fkn year since I've had them (UNACCEPTABLE!! hahaha). While you haven't tried it, I'd liken it very much to DMT (given they're almost the same thing). It's a pleasurable body high IME, but I guess it can feel a little 'heavy'. I don't recall it making me feel lethargic or uninterested in moving, though in higher doses (no idea on weight, but roughly 22 dried cubensis, stems and caps for this example) had me utterly pinned to the couch on the comeup, exactly like DMT.

Mushrooms are kind of disorienting and you may feel a bit disabled on them compared to your normal coordinative ability. You usually won't want to move around a whole lot. On top of that, sometimes people's stomachs get a bit upset.

I've never had stomach issues on them, really. Grind them to powder, put in orange juice, chug. I think the nausea comes in part from making your stomach break down big pieces.

I agree mushrooms have a lethargic aspect to the trip vs LSD which can be quite simulating. I wonder if this is a side effect of psilocybin, or maybe other alkaloids in the mushroom produce this effect

I've never had stomach issues on them, really. Grind them to powder, put in orange juice, chug. I think the nausea comes in part from making your stomach break down big pieces.

I believe you're likely correct. The one time I truly blew myself away with shrooms, it ended badly and only because suddenly my stomach had had enough of trying to digest fibrous fungal matter and decided it was coming back up. I think this was almost entirely due to fasting the whole day prior, and then forgetting to eat anything after I'd come up (to sort of assist with moving things along, so they don't just sit in my stomach).

My last trip, while not nearly as high dose, was fine in this regard as I ensured to eat something. Though I wasn't very interested in food...

For me, low dose gives me energy/stimulation and clarity of mind. Medium/high dose definetly make me lethargic, or at least very relaxed.

as crypticarc said, disorienting... i think thats a nice word do describe a moderate shroom trip, imo

lots of people tend to dislike marijuana and like classic psychedelics, so i don't think just cause you don't like it you won't like shrooms. i don't like mj but shrooms are fun.

and also, it varies from person to person really

Yes my friends and I would always joke we needed a butler or like a hired friend as a servant to get us things to make tripping better lol.

They can, and at higher doses or during certain times while you're on them they do have body load where they make movement difficult or you don't want to move. YMMV.

Don't be afraid of it or freak out over this. Just go with it.

You really should try them before you decide that you don't like them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I think other psychedelics might be for me.

That's a fair choice ahint :) perhaps one day in the future you may reconsider; I, among many, consider mushrooms to be quite wonderful :)

Mushrooms are beautiful. Don't let this put you off them. I've had active, incredible experiences on them. I think you owe it to yourself to try them at least once. They're a classic for a reason.

4-AcO-DMT/psilacetin makes me lethargic and sleepy, i'm constantly yawning. Mushrooms are pretty similar, although ive only done them twice. However I wouldn't liken this feeling to the cannabis high at all. It sounds like what you mean is cannabis gives you anxiety after you smoke it. IME the most anxiety inducing aspect of most psychedelics at moderate doses is the body load. So mushrooms may not be the high you're looking for, but you still might want to experiment. you never know till u try it

I would test a small dose and see how you feel. If you don't like it then hey, at least you will have tried it once!

I would test a small dose and see how you feel. If you don't like it then hey, at least you will have tried it once!

That's a good idea! I might do that, with benzos at hand if it gets too much. Is it something that it's possible to go to sleep on if it gets too much, or is it pretty much impossible to sleep?

On a low dose (say 1g) with xanax on hand, you should be able to get to sleep.

When I dose shrooms or other 4 sub tryptamines I know It's coming on when the yawning starts...almost makes them not worth doing it gets so bad sometimes, but then the tripping starts and the lethargy passes and it's all worth it then.

They don't make me feel "tired" as such, they do make me feel heavy and like gravity Is pulling me down but its not a bad feeling, its quite nice for me.

Mushrooms are amazing, don't diss them til you try them.