Do I have a drug problem

ss1879

Greenlighter
I'm fighting with the problem of me having a drug problem or not, one of my friends keep telling me I have one and even went as far as almost dumping my drugs in a toilet. I am 16 years old, and I find myself thinking of drugs all the time lately. I started smoking weed when I was 14, but it was nothing major, just something I would take to feel good on the weekends.

I started drinking only at parties in the end of freshman year, nothing major at the time though. I am a sophomore now, and I've tried many different drugs which I find myself wanting to take again a lot of the time. I started taking prescription pills to relieve stress and feel good, and probably for other reasons too. I started off with pills that had codeine in them, I forgot what they were called, but they felt good and I started taking them in school once a week.

I have a 4.2 GPA, so I knew I would be able to handle being high in school, and I was able to handle it. I then went on to taking Vicodin, which felt amazing and I only took them once a week. Every Friday I would take 3 vicodins in lunch at school because all my afternoon classes are easy, and these were the only times I would take it. I was responsible and never broke my own rules. Lately I have been only thinking about drugs, but I wouldn't say I'm craving it.

I now look forwards to Friday's a lot more than I used to because I take vicodins that day, and I can drink and smoke and party the whole weekend. I have never been this excited for getting drunk and high, which is why I think I may be developing a problem. I have also bought Xanax to start taking since im running out of vicodins and for the reasons that vicodins are very addictive. I am not addicted to these drugs I am taking, but just the thought of being sober on the weekends ruins my mood, and I look forward to taking prescription drugs on Fridays.

I know my habits have gotten out of hand, since I get drunk and high every weekend and I am only 16. I am not at the point that I am addicted, but I am also at the point where it is easy to quit but I just really don't want to and it would make me have no motivation for getting through the week. I've also noticed my short term memory getting a little worse, but I think that is because of overthinking (for example I would forget where I put the tv remote or something like that). I've always been the class clown getting in trouble and being lazy but smart, but teachers now are starting to make comments about me being excessively laid back and not caring at all but I am still getting good grades, so I don't see what the real harm these drugs are doing. I just want an honest opinion if I have a problem or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats defiantly a start to a opiate addiction if you're craving. Stop now. Be smart. Don't do this to yourself at this age.

I read your post, yes it does sound as though you have a drug problem/addiction.

You're already psychologically addicted to opiates and other drugs like herb, since you said how you want to get high and crave the opiate pills. If you are not yet physically addicted to opiates that will happen soon.

You're 16 and you can stop using opiates before you get physically addicted to them. Good luck.

Just to put down some perspective, I was only smoking weed at your age and didnt discover pills until about 17/18. They had 0 impact on my life I just knew i enjoyed them. In 2006 I went to college got out in 2010 and started doing oxy 30s, that became heroin which became IV heroin. I am now clean but my point is the road is crazy long and if you start making reasons to do hard drugs you may find a time line much shorter then mine to a place you never intended to go.

I too consider myself above average intelligence DO NOT let that make you think you are different. I may have majored in chemistry at UConn but I was still shooting up in McDonalds bathroom in the ghetto. I think you will find most people here are going to take the side of, slow down bro you are young and should value that time as a young person.

if you have to ask yourself if you have a drug problem, then more than likely yes...
i asked myself if i was an alcoholic once..while drinking a beer and i pretty much knew my answer haha

never under estimate what pills and other drugs can do to you
yeah you might be fine right now, but just like anything it will catch up with you in the end

seriously doubt you wanna be an "addict" by the time your 17 or 18 because that is what eventually is gonna happen

i got addicted to pain pills on accident during my recovery from a broken foot wasn't fun when i longer had to take them
i didnt know what withdrawal was, but i tell you what i rather stick my D*** in a blender at full speed while mixing in 90% alcohol

I read your post, yes it does sound as though you have a drug problem/addiction.

You're already psychologically addicted to opiates and other drugs like herb, since you said how you want to get high and crave the opiate pills. If you are not yet physically addicted to opiates that will happen soon.

You're 16 and you can stop using opiates before you get physically addicted to them. Good luck.

I truly wish you all the luck you can get! As obvious or annoying this may sound, being addicted at 16 will certainly be the worst thing it can happen to you.

It's like losing your 'life virginity' . Everything you could be, all the friends you could have. The money, family, happiness.

And the worst of all, when you finally need to stop 5, ten or 15 years from now, you still be 16 - emotionally speaking.
It's a huge disadvantage. Why would you allow this?

I'm at your side trust me. I can't do anything for my life but you still can do something about yours.

Suggest you make an U turn or choose something lighter.
Take care!

i tried hydrocodone and oxycodone and preferred hydrocodone cos it seemed to pack a serious punch at a relatively low dose. i can probably get hydros if i wanted right now but i know that it's just not worth it. they're mad addictive and you become so self absorbed when buzzing on opioids. you sorta just only care about your buzz and get upset at others for interrupting of messing with it. you prefer to just get high alone and nod off into that place of utopia that we all crave.

but this is no way to live life now is it? at such a young age i'd go as far to say that it's a waste of life to be flirting with the devil of addiction (opioids). we all know where the road leads as it is well documented on this very forum.

this awareness and acceptance is probably what keeps me from even having a drive to get high on synthetic pain killers. maybe some reading around here will help you out. i'm young as well and still do drugs to this day but i know fully well what to touch and what not to touch.

becoming obsessed with drugs at a young age shapes the mind to revolve around getting high and buddy as i said, that's no way to live. provided some people keep a lid on their vices, the chances of you being another extremely responsible user are slim especially when you're taking high grade opioids before you became old enough to purchase cigarettes.

for me, every sunday i dose kratom - a relatively forgiving herbal version to this opioid high that we all love. maybe that will be a better selection as it is indeed 'lighter' than synthetic opioids.

just don't throw away your brain too early m8. i've looked at a lot of my friends lose their minds to something as simple as weed and this came from smoking pot at a young age.

fly safe!

do u have a problem? I don't think so.. the answer will always be relative to what is the social norm of drug use in your experience

Does this sound like the beginning of every opiate addicts story? Yes

just drop the pills, smoke and drink with your friends and have a good time..u don't wanna end up being that guy that spends half the time at parties in the bathroom because your shot won't register..slippery slope

thats how i started dude, check out my username, just some kratom for 4 years and ill probaly never be the same, it might not happen to you though, i dont know what the chances of it happening are, but i think the question is do you really wanna roll those dice?

btw if you really dont care and you think addiction is worth it, just know you need a steady affordable legal prescription to a high dose of opiates, that is if you want your life to manageable in any way, if not then your days will be spent finding drugs, period

not that a doctor prescribed addiction is any less harmful in terms of your feelings and mind than a illegal one, its just easier to procure, so you won't end up in jail or robbing an old lady, or sucking a big black cock, and slurping down that cum when he offers you another hit for a swallow, but youll stiill wake up hurting every day, that will still be all you think about, ectera

No one here can tell you if you have a problem or not, all they can do is share their experiences and compare you with where they were at your age. Truth is, maybe you don't have a problem. But then again, what if you do? What I can tell you for a fact is that its not worth risking it, especially if you are capable of making those grades. I graduated second in my class and gave my speech high as a motherfucker. Didn't go to college. Now its almost ten years later and I have absolutely nothing to show for it.

The reason you are looking forward to doing drugs on weekends is because you are young and have yet to experience all the things drugs have to offer you. Its a fun ride at first. Trouble is, for most of us theres no getting off the ride. Then before long you get bored of it. Then you get sick of it. Its no longer fun. The mystery is gone. You want to go home, but you cant.

Why risk getting stuck like that? its not worth it.

Last edited:
Sometimes its a live & learn self therapy & trials. No matter what anyone says on here or tells you in.person, you're gonna try & do what you want.

The thing I see crazy in a lot of these stories is how young people start drugs at.......young people need their minds to develop.

From my experience, this is how it begins: The looking forward to getting high and the thought of going without ruins your mood. You said your teachers have made comments also. You're a good student, don't risk getting in trouble at school! You could wreck your chances of getting into college.

Plus now you're taking Xanax when you can't get the pain pills and they are addicting too. Mixing with alcohol can be dangerous. Ask yourself how will you react if suddenly you can't get anything at all? What if someone offers you some random drug, would you try it? Please be careful. I'm going to move this to the Dark Side.

When you are young and trying drugs your reward center of your brain is developed enough to get pleasure from drugs, especially opiates, however your prefrontal cortex (executive decision making part of your brain) is not yet fully developed. This means it will be harder for you to make rational, sound decisions when it comes to drugs. Just wait a few years till you are in your twenties and then try it. It will be more rewarding.

IME I started early and it has brought me nothing but misery. Half of my life I spent in a haze and now I want to experience it all, but I am starting out with nothing because I used all my resources getting high. You don't have to do this. Get your ducks in a row first with school and college...then party. You will have a much better time.

Basically once you find yourself thinking of the drug whenever you DON'T have it, that is the first step to building up an addiction. Especially with opiates.

The problem is rarely drugs--the problem is the need underneath the use. If you can develop your mind and spirit to have an enthusiasm for life, drug use will not be defined by need but rather by want. And like any other want, you are in charge of whether or not it is healthy to indulge the want. If you need anything (sugar, gaming, spending money/shopping, socializing, sex, drugs, junk food) as a constant consumption you are not in control, the NEED is in control. If however, you can say, I really want the high of (fill-in-the-blank) right now but now is not a good time or place, you are in control of your desires. It's all a balancing act and since you are just learning how to balance all that adult life entails I would advise you to do it as substance free as you can. Substances for altering consciousness will always be available. Right now the most important thing for you to do is to learn to be at ease with yourself and with life. Once you have that down, you can make better choices.

Great advice from many people. I'd say that if you are asking yourself "do I have a problem?", then chances are very high that you do, and you've basically already answered your own question.

I'm not going to be a hypocrite, I started smoking weed and drinking occasionally at 13 (and dabbled with other stuff like LSD & MDMA), but I never touched an opiate until much later.

Opiates and benzos (xanax) are very dangerous and can quickly ruin your life. Just stick to weed, man. You have too much to lose at this point in your life just so you can feel a nice body buzz. It's not worth it.

Edit: I've lost two friends to opioids. More specifically, I lost them to their own bad decision making, but you get the gist. Opioids are dangerous.

Last edited:
Exactly!

But if nothing can stop you start with something lighter.

Does this sound like the beginning of every opiate addicts story? Yes

Doesn't it? 16 years old, pill popper, Vicodin and Xanax. Classic beginnings to a story that sometimes ends with a needle in your arm.

Or dead, in prison or in a clinic.
You can do something about this now.
Think of that as a second chance. You already know what can happen to you from so many different angles. And, it seems you are questioning whether you should go on.
I guess you don't want to be that person.