• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Do high potency benzodiazepines have an antidepressant effect ?

Kdem

Bluelighter
In my own experience, I have noticed lorazepam having an antidepressant effect. Clonazepam can have that too, although it can go both ways.

I have read many reports that alprazolam has an antidepressant effect.

Again in my own experience, drugs like temazepam, oxazepam, diazepam do not have an antidepressant effect. In fact, the opposite is true.

If known, what is the mechanism ?

I vaguely remember a paper were clonazepam did something funny to serotonin, but I don't think that has much importance

I notice this too. The day I take my clonazepam, as the following day, I get on an amazing, great mood, but I guess it has much more to do with being free from anxiety, relieved and how that affects your mind, rather than some mysterious or funny pharmacological mechanism

I vaguely remember a paper were clonazepam did something funny to serotonin, but I don't think that has much importance

I notice this too. The day I take my clonazepam, as the following day, I get on an amazing, great mood, but I guess it has much more to do with being free from anxiety, relieved and how that affects your mind, rather than some mysterious or funny pharmacological mechanism
Clonazepam has a very long half-life. 50% of the dose could be in your system the following day.

No offense to anyone, but these answers have nothing to do with the matter why/if high potency benzodiazepines have an antidepressant effect. And the question about what mechanism is involved.

clonazepam is a high potency benzodiazepine. perhaps just a little less potent than alprazolam, which is the most potent (common) benzodiazepine.

'antidepressant' is a broad term, not specific to any pharmacologic class, if i'm not mistaken. were you asking if they showed any SSRI, SARI, SNRI or DNRI properties (most common classes of antidepressants, but for example, ketamine has been argued to have antidepressant properties)?

that's why i said that i read something about clonazepam having some interaction with the serotonergic system, which i doubt has anything to do with its mood-lifting properties, which i proposed weren't due to any pharmacological mechanism, but simply due to relief from anxiety feeling good, something i have noticed myself.

EDIT: here is the paper i was refering to - Region-selective reduction of brain serotonin turnover rate and serotonin agonist-induced behavior in mice treated with clonazepam. - doesn't seem to say anything about antidepressive properties though

Last edited:
Not really, benzos are a CNS depressant, its just how your brain responds to the feeling, everyones different. in the end if used long term you will become just dull.

clonazepam is a high potency benzodiazepine. perhaps just a little less potent than alprazolam, which is the most potent (common) benzodiazepine.

'antidepressant' is a broad term, not specific to any pharmacologic class, if i'm not mistaken. were you asking if they showed any SSRI, SARI, SNRI or DNRI properties (most common classes of antidepressants, but for example, ketamine has been argued to have antidepressant properties)?

that's why i said that i read something about clonazepam having some interaction with the serotonergic system, which i doubt has anything to do with its mood-lifting properties, which i proposed weren't due to any pharmacological mechanism, but simply due to relief from anxiety feeling good, something i have noticed myself.

EDIT: here is the paper i was refering to - Region-selective reduction of brain serotonin turnover rate and serotonin agonist-induced behavior in mice treated with clonazepam. - doesn't seem to say anything about antidepressive properties though

No, I wasn't referring to any major action on serotonin like the SSRIs.

I've seen reports describing Xanax as having an antidepressant effect. Perhaps even specific references to serotonin.
No personal experience with the drug.

In my own experience, as far as 'mood' is concerned clonazepam can go either way.
Clonazepam can have an energizing effect. (I'm aware of the clonazepam-specific action on serotonin)

Lorazepam had some mood lifting properties. I'm not referring to euphoria, but a lift in mood and possibly an energizing effect.

None of the low potency benzodiazepines I have taken had anything like that.
Not diazepam, not oxazepam, not temazepam.

Hence my question. Do the high potency benzodiazepines as a category have antidepressant effects that other benzodiazepines do not have ? If so, what is the mechanism ?