• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Do benzos just cause munchies?

Bluuberry

Bluelighter
Is it just simply a side effect that benzos make me want to eat? I have to literally force myself to eat normally (for yeeeears). I'm a great cook but I'd rather not even eat to be honest. It just seems like a chore to me these days.

So I've been wondering, is it that benzos relieve my anxiety enough that I can eat? I mean, when I drink beer, I don't get hungry barely at all. So I wouldn't think its the whole GABA fun time making me hungry. But when I take benzos I get -really- hungry, like want to eat full meals. And this is how I SHOULD feel, because I'm very underweight and recently realized I need to eat like 4-6 meals per day to get enough goodness in me. It makes me wonder if the reason I have recently lost all desire to eat is due to anxiety.

It makes me ravenously hungry.

You can tell I'm on some kind of benzo when I look half-asleep but I'm shoveling huge amounts of food lazily into my face & smiling contentedly. It's not even that I like the taste of whatever I'm eating when I'm in such a state, it's almost as if I just like the physical process of chewing & swallowing food, if that makes any sense at all...

Benzos make me crazy hungry. Like binge eat hungry. And everything tastes great lol

Another vote for hitting up the taco bell drive thru for the 3rd time

Yeah they make you extremely hungry. When I started using them I noticed after having a big meal just 30 mins after I would feel the urge to munch on some snacks or something...

I spent over 8 years on benzodiazepines and I've been on opioids for 2 years more or so, and during the time when I was on benzodiazepines, I was very very skinny. I began putting on some weight like half a year after I quit this shit. It killed all the joy in me.

Yes when I would take large doses of xanax or klonopin(8-15mg) or 60 mg Valium(valium seemed the worst with munchies, maybe xanax worse I dunno)with my Subs I would get munchies like no other...then when all my benzo''s ran out it was like a chore to eat I lost weight, was sooo hungry but couldn't eat, it was wierd. But ya they do, make you come up with wierd combonations of food also, but I always went for a tub(the whole thing) of Gelato Ice Cream..If you haven't tried it get it!!!

Whenever I take a decent dose of Klonopin or Xanax, about 4-10mg, I binge eat anything that I can get my hands on. I find myself making food while eating food and then snacking afterwards. Very common amongst most of my friends too. I don't know what causes this but I don't think its the anxiety. I have bad social anxiety myself and I eat normally otherwise but when I take a decent dose I always get the munchies. It doesn't taste as good as it does when you're high on weed but I sure can eat a hell of a lot more.

That's funny because I take subs too. about 4mg a day and I find myself making the weirdest concoctions of food that turn out to be incredibly tasty. I might not think so otherwise if I weren't loaded though..

Actually yes to a degree. A doctor told me once that benzos relax the stomach in a fashion sometimes causing hunger. Plus you have to take into account that reduced anxiety by itself .can. make you hungry, as stimulants reduce or completely abate hunger the opposite is true of depressants. I can say for sure that if you smoke cannabis , using a benzo with weed will make the chucks (munchies) all the more intense

Ive never noticed hunger in association with benzos. But, also Im almost always taking other shit with my benzos. At least weed, which does give me munchies.

For me, benzos kind of like alcohol... Maybe cause me to eat more. Like binge eating, as many others have said. So perhaps yes...

Benzos + cannabis will have me eating everything. I'm a night eater and there's been numerous times where I've eaten so much that in the morning my stomach is still full digesting food which sometimes can make me feel sick.

For most people, benzos will make you hungry. Very hungry.
My friend, who is extremely health conscious, had a box of Halloween chocolates (bought on sale, for "once in a while" type treats). One morning after he woke up from benzos, noticed they were ALL gone aha. He just ate them in his sleep I guess.

Klonopin never made me any more hungry than usual.

Honestly this is the first time I've heard of benzos ever making anyone hungry.

The only drug that does that for me is weed and MAYBE alcohol but the latter is usually more just having consumed more empty calories probably and wanting real food.

benzos make me sleep eat, every time! I also ate in my sleep after a surgery where i was given a few shots of demerol lol I racked up a huge charge at the hotel in Philly i was staying at :/