• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Do antidepressants (SSRIs) ruin the high from recreational drugs?

drewpy

Greenlighter
I've learned that I can no longer take MDMA/MDA while on Escitalopram. It seems marijuana still works the same, less paranoia. Stimulants still work. Opiates and psychedelics don't quite seem the same.

What are your experiences and opinions on this?

Last edited:
Anti-depressants reduce the effects of MDMA, so if you roll at all it won't be very hard. Some people can still roll with a decent dose, but say the effects are greatly diminished and it isn't the same.

Marijuana is fine to smoke while taking anti-depressants, there's no diminished effect there, as it still gets you high.

It depends on the recreational drug in question, really. Ketamine and SSRI's have no known effects together, it still works, and isn't that dangerous.

It's possible to feel the effects of DXM, but you absolutely shouldn't take them together as it can lead to too much serotonin in the brain (serotonin syndrome.)

For alcohol/GHP, benzos, opiates, and barbiturates, anti-depressants will increase the sedating effect that these drugs give by potentiating these drugs, or making them feel stronger. So you need to dose carefully when taking these two together because the SSRI's will allow you to take less of the drug in question but still feel high. Relatively safe combination otherwise.

With stimulants and amphetamines, it works the same as combining anti-depressants with MDMA. Most of the time the effects are diminished, but it it still possible to get fairly high off of recreational drugs, but be careful of the heart complications the combo can cause.

Psychedelics work like alcohol, benzos, etc (stated above) do with SSRI's. They can increase the effects of the drug, so you may not need as much. This excludes ayahuasca; it is very dangerous to combine ayahuasca with SSRI's.

I take an SSRI and I've taken that three times with no results. The first time kind of felt like a mild dose of adderall, but it only lasted like an hour. I've read in several sources from a Google search that anti depressants decrease the effect of MDMA

i remember back in few years, i took ssri for 6 months. potentiated shrooms and some NboM`s nicely imo. also got a lifelong tinnitus from that ssri treatment. Should not have started taken those and pushed maybe through it somehow, ah who knows...
it rings loud, but i'm so used to it now. and yea, its pointless to take and waste mdma .

If you don't get anything from ecstasy while on ssris I would have to assume the roll is bunk. Ive been on and off ssris for 14 years. Ive found that it does somewhat diminish lsd and mdma but definently kill doesn't kill it. Just a word of warning though, serotonin syndrome is possible combining serotonin acting drugs with ssris. Never happened to me, but the risk is there.

It's been my experience that SSRI's and SNRI's have a potentiating effect on specifically MDMA. I read that they enhance the effects of ecstasy because they keep the serotonin in the receptor sites in your brain. Ecstasy specifically effects the neurotransmitters serotonin and norepinephrine. Ecstasy floods the brain with these neurotransmitters, so it makes sense that these antidepressants would have an effect on E. This could possibly just be something that my body reacts well with. I just know when taking Prozac and rolling on E, I couldn't get a complete sentence out to the waiter at a bar because my mouth was chattering so much. Also my eyes were fluttering big time! This was only while I was taking an SSRI. I rolled since then, while not on an SSRI, and I didn't have the same effect .

Last edited:
Ssris do not enhance the ecstasy high. In fact, they prevent it.

Drewpy, if these antidepressants have a negative effect on ayahuasca then it would definitely have the same effect with DMT since that is the psychoactive chemical in ayahuasca.

Ssris do not enhance the ecstasy high. In fact, they prevent it.

That seems to be the consensus, however I definitely rolled harder while taking Prozac! Also it's been said that SSRIs increase the effects of psychedelics. MDMA it is one part Psychedelic 1 part amphetamine so definitely there is the possibility of enhancing the role.

Last edited:
i remember back in few years, i took ssri for 6 months. potentiated shrooms and some NboM`s nicely imo. also got a lifelong tinnitus from that ssri treatment. Should not have started taken those and pushed maybe through it somehow, ah who knows...
it rings loud, but i'm so used to it now. and yea, its pointless to take and waste mdma .

FAD, I too have had bad experiences while taking these antidepressants. I should never have started taking them. I believe they actually made things worse! I'll never take them again!

Interesting, good to know but unfortunate. Does this include DMT?

The risk is due to the MAOI contained in ayahuasca, which is required for DMT to be active orally but can cause serotonin syndrome in combination with SSRIs. DMT itself I do not know if it has any interaction, but the primary concern is the MAOI as I understand it.

Serotonin reuptake inhibitors will either nullify or largely reduce the of MDMA, MDA, LSD, shrooms and other Serotonic drugs. As MDMA and MDA both also act on Dopamine and also Norepinephrine much like classical Amphetamines do you will still get the speedy effects but not the much sought after lovey dovey and psychedelic effects. This is because they inhibit the reuptake of Serotonin into the pre-synaptic neuron from the synapse.

Some other Serotonin reuptake inhibitors notably the Tricyclics which act mostly as Serotonin and Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (to varying degrees as well as having mild to moderate anti-muscarinic effects and some of them also antagonize Dopamine to varying degrees and even some Serotonin receptors) can have rather unpredictable effects on Tryptamines atleast and can actually increase the effects of LSD and Psilocybin in a bad way.

The only way SSRI's could dumb down the effects of opiates however is through liver enzyme inhibition. Some opiates such as Codeine as a good example need the CYP2D6 enzyme to convert Codeine into Morphine but most SSRI's are CYP 2D6 enzyme inhibitors. I have been prescribed the Tricyclic anti-depressants Amitriptyline (acts as a SNRI) and Trimipramine (a weird one that along with acting as a anti-depressant has atypical anti-psychotic properties) right along with Oxycodone, Morphine, Dilaudid and Fentanyl and these drugs did not dumb down the effects of opiates at all. Of course certain "atypical" Opioids such as (Dextro)propoxyphene (trade names Darvon, Darvon-N, Darvocet, etc but except for a few countries it has largely been banned worldwide) Tramadol, Tapentadol and even Demerol can negatively interact with Serotonin reuptake inhibitors such as SSRI's, SNRI's and TCA's but that's a whole other story.

My anecdotal findings regarding SSRIs and recreational use-
(Citalopram, 20mg)

Opiates: No perceptible differences (kratom, codeine).
Alcohol: Mildly potentiated sedation; increased severity of hangover.
Stimulants: Minor reduction in mental effects; physical stimulation unchanged (caffeine, nicotine, cocaine, ethylphenidate, 3F-phenmetrazine)

Have yet to test psychedelics. Overall, I'm of the opinion that, with the exception of MDMA and perhaps certain psychs, any alteration to the subjective intensity of the high as a result of concurrent SSRI use can be counteracted with slight increases in dosage, and that, in the case of allegedly synergistic side effects (as in the case of alcohol), the user quickly builds a tolerance to any potentiation (or subconsciously accommodates through reduction of intake)

When starting SSRI treatment, I was worried nothing would work... for the most part, however, everything is unchanged! Perhaps a very slightly reduction in pleasure, but not nearly enough that it would discourage your average Bluelighter from using.
As someone who used drugs nightly in addition to being on antidepressants in the past, it bears mentioning that nightly use COMPLETELY reversed/overrode the benefits of my antidepressant and quickly brought back the anxiety, depression, and insomnia. Something to watch out for, if you're using often :)

Last edited:
It's possible to feel the effects of DXM, but you absolutely shouldn't take them together as it can lead to too much serotonin in the brain (serotonin syndrome.)

Though I have taken DXM while I take lexapro (as well as effexor) I made sure to keep my dose low. I advise against taking this combination at all times. Even with a low dose, I have felt uncomfortable side effects such as a racing heart. I also noticed more intense feelings of depression or paranoia up to several days following the use.

With stimulants and amphetamines, it works the same as combining anti-depressants with MDMA. Most of the time the effects are diminished, but it it still possible to get fairly high off of recreational drugs, but be careful of the heart complications the combo can cause.

Since I am prescribed a stimulant along with two anti-deprssants, I have definitely noticed chest tension and often increased heart rate.

Psychedelics work like alcohol, benzos, etc (stated above) do with SSRI's. They can increase the effects of the drug, so you may not need as much. This excludes ayahuasca; it is very dangerous to combine ayahuasca with SSRI's.

I found this interesting, about the ayahuasca, as I remember reading an article in a magazine about it being "the psychedelic drug you should try." I don't recall any warnings about this, so I hope that piece of info gets passed along to more people who are taking an SSRI and considering ayahuasca.

In my personal experience SSRIs have no effect on psychedelics, marijuana, opioids, benzos, alcohol, dissociatives, or stimulants. I have limited experience with stims and none with MDMA. When I tried 5-meo-mipt, which is supposed to be "rolly," I didn't experience anything like that, although it could have been bunk because I only tried it from one source. It depends on the drug and the person, though. From what I've seen Prozac diminishes the effects of many drugs more so than other SSRIs.

Good morning,
Based upon my personal experiences with SSRI in combination with MDMA, mixed together, it has not been the most pleasant feelings ever.
Back in 1999, i was prescribed Prozac, 20 mg because I was not eating well so my primary care doctor placed me on Prozac to open up my apetite. So, in a few weeks I felt refreshed because the Prozac was working and I was eating like a savage.
I did not know the reason why I did not feel my fucking rolls back then when my friends would be rolling their tits and dicks off and I was not. It would be the same roll and the same amount. I was extremely disapointed. Then, a year later, upon my research, I learned that that SSRI's block the positive effects of the ecstasy.
In fact, when I stopped the Prozac, weeks later after my body completely got rid of the fluoxetine, having what I call newly replaced and restored serotonin, when I rolled, OMG! I remember that night very well. The pill was called musical notes with the symbol engraved onto them and the color of the 2 pills were blue. I double dropped, btw, this was the year 2000, anyways, I rolled sooooo hard and soooo good. It was my second best roll ever!

Last edited:
I've rolled once. It was about 2 years ago, I was off medication. I still cant get a feeling like that again. My experiences on various stimulants...

MDMA (crystals "molly")- i was on 150mg effexor xr (SNRI), and 50 mg seroquel (anti-psychotic...*note that I do not think seroquel made an impact, and certainly not as large as effexor. Seroquel at this dose does absolutely nothing when I've been taking it consistently *) --- MDMA turns to straight speeding for me. I've done it ALOT for someone that gets as little out of it as I do. It's not unpleasant. It puts me in a good mood. Just not euphoric. Or caring, or particularly sociable. Just speed. Energy. Go time. I did it when I wanted to do something active and quick. Clean the house, yard work, etc. Was great for late night gaming sessions with friends. I do remember being disheartened when my buddy was rolling, and I was just fast, and alert. Focused. Not unlike adderall. I did do alot of jaw grinding still. But no foot tapping (my classic adderall effect) So. Is it good? Sure. Clean, focused, speed. Just don't expect to roll. If you're not getting killer deals, I wouldn't suggest it. Not to mention that serotonin sickness is always a chance *although I'll say, I was doing it alot. Almost as coffee.* My WORST experience on this combo was self inflicted. Got a little binge-happy, and ended up hallucinating from sleep deprivation, and throwing up from over exertion.

Adderall-same medication as above, 150mg effexor xr, 50mg seroquel. Adderall used to be my preference in highschool. Not anymore. This is tied for second as the most disappointment I've gotten from substance (it's tied with MDMA. The first time on medication, and expecting to roll...) I had all the adderall side effects, and in my opinion at a worse level. Restless, unable to stop moving for even one second, worst jaw clench of my life, heartpounding. And that was it. Mentally, I felt practically nothing, except racing thoughts. No focus, none of the sharp perception. No socialbility. Just uncomfortably waiting for the side effects to end. All in all, i was uncomfortable, and would have prefered not doing it. Certainly not worth it, I will never try this combo again. Waste of time, and money.

Cocaine-this one is positive :) -effexor xr 150mg, seroquel 50 Mg, but was not taking at the time, stopped probably 6 days before but *disclaimer, I have only done coke on this combo, so it is possible I'm still not getting full effects*-generally everything I hoped for. I certainly don't think coke lives up to its name though. I bought about 4g for this week or so. first time, I had no experience with this substance at all. I called a friend, and told him I had gotten coke, but didn't know enough to determine anything. But I knew it wasn't meth or molly. Just doesn't look the same. Any ways, I prepared my dose. Small. Two key bumps. Never felt anything like this in my nose before. Speed and euphoria. Happiness. Soothing body high, which was strange to me for a stimulant. But all in all, YAY. I was high on EVERY level, unlike the last two experiences. I actually got, as one might say, pretty fucked up every time I did it. My mind wasnt on a traditional "speeding" level though. More flowing and happy thoughts, not racing. My focus wasn't exactly keen. But a positive experince for me. Would do again for sure

Methamphetamine- take this as you will, my medicine use at this point is not regular. I was tired of effexor ruining my substance endeavors, and started taking it only to stop the insane withdrawal symptoms (as best as I can describe: dysphoria. That word has never held so much meaning. My brain gets... scratchy? I feel like my mind is leaking. Depression hits instantly. It is bad enough to make me use SOMETHING everything I get it. Remember these symptoms) I only used seroquel to come down from stimulants at this point. Anyways-ended up unintentionally with a 7g bag of meth *also note, I never got it tested, so who knows what it really was, but I think you'll agree that it was meth. First line, was what I describe as "I'm 90% sure this isnt MDMA, so maybe a little lower dose wouldn't hurt". Cleanest speed high I have ever had. My thoughts were orderly, but rapid. I actually have so many ideas and notes coming in that I couldn't right them down fast enough. Focused. No, obsessive. So obsessive that I managed to spend 10 hours jotting down legal information and organizing it. Euphoria, I could do anything I needed to do if I wanted to focus on it. No a petite, thirst or sleepiness. The first 24 hours, I did three conservative lines. Jaw clenching like crazy. I had no desire to do anything but focus on large tasks, usually organizing. Time flew. And i mean FLEW. "I'll do that in 10minutes" turned to "what have i been doing the last 9 hours? Only to realize I was just focusing on my task. After the first 24, I went on an incredibly self destructive binge. 7 days-6 hours of sleep. The equivalent of 2 adult size meals. Day 3 of binge, getting that effexor withdrawal. But more crystal stops it. Every time I start to crash I get it. Good experience? At first. If I had been smart and careful, it could have been an overall great experience. -my advice? If you're on effexor, there's probably some reason why. Sit down and think. Will this worsen my mentality? Is my mind in a place that can withstand something that can make me feel insanity? -I'm not a lecturer, we all know our minds. Mental health is not for this thread though (though you can contact me if you have questions

Bonus) Acid.
So you want to do a? I have 1 question
1)are you on an snri?
If yes, cut your losses and walk away.

Acid is the number one disappointment I've had when it comes to substance.-effexor 150mg, seroquel 50mg

Bought an 11 strip. Took one. Excited, waiting... feeling good I guess... then I got visuals! Well, 1 visual. I call it kaleidoscope vision. 6 distinct, detailed "snowflakes" appear. 3 on top, 3on bottom, slightly overlapping, rotating slowly. It's always there, butslight concentration gives them clarity. Ok cool. But that was it. I was sober. Completely sober, with 1 repeating visual. I tried 3 hits, same thing. 6 hits, something. Complete waste. The ONLY potential here is if you stacked it on something else. Then you get visuals with any high (note: serotonin sickness, probably not a great idea)

So take from that what you will