• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Do antidepressants/antipsychotics treat phobias?

metaltommy

Greenlighter
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, im not sure where to post it. Please move it if necessary.

I dont know that much about this, but I hear these drugs can treat OCD. What about phobias? Can these drugs make these fears go away? Does a drug even exist?

I have mysophobia. (fear of dirt and germs) My doctor wants me to take antipsychotics. But I think they wont help at all. Would.. they actually help?

maybe, how much is your phobia affecting your quality of life, and those close to you?

if it is at the point that you are really desperate, maybe it is a decent option.

doctors try to fix problems with whats available to them though, easy to give you a strong drug to mask the symptoms of the anxiety, but it takes some time and effort to gradually address where the problem has rooted.

i really am not that educated on the possible means of treatment for phobias, but off the top of my head i think there are psychologists/counsellors who probably assist in exposure therapy, lessening your response to the stimulus by overcoming the fear through confronting the fear in manageable blocks. giving yourself time to rest and reflect and not going too deep too fast, but also supported with their presence.

in general anti depressants from personal EXP its hard to feel intense emotions since well....that is what they are designed for
to keep anxiety, panic, fear, ocd at bay pretty much to keep you from "going crazy"
so an unqualified answer if your phobia turns into any of the above then yes there is a good chance itll help you

i would honestly suggest going to psycho therapy(dont let the name fool you) or CBT as itll help you get to the root of your phobia by
bringing it to the surface...not in a scary way, analyze what is going on and help conquer your fear

if you wanna cheat i would suggest trying exposure therapy, you pretty much throw yourself into the deep end so to speak
helped me a shit ton of my phobia of driving