View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DMT is what makes you dream?

Bobsterbeino

Greenlighter
As for all those people that think DMT is what causes you to dream, I have heard many pseudo scientific claims from uneducated people saying the same, and that it is released only during REM sleep.

The only time I have experienced lucid dreams I have used the WILD method of lucid dreaming, Which is keeping your mind conscious while in that half asleep stage known as stage 1 as you progress to stage 2 you're instantly shot into a lucid dream. It's an interesting feeling, I usually feel like I am doing barrel rolls in my bed, then shot into my dream.

REM sleep is known as stage 5, so if DMT is what makes you dream, how come I can dream while in stage 2, if stage 5 is when the DMT is released?

Simple, I don't think it's what makes you dream, and I have been unable to find any scientific evidence stating otherwise.

I am not formally educated on this in any way, but I think my observation of my personal experience is enough to convince me that this is a much too common misconception.

Or am I incorrect and the whole act of lucid dreaming interrupts your normal sleep pattern? Actually shooting me straight into REM sleep instead of stage 2?

But I am an open minded person, so feel free to try and convince me otherwise.

No, DMT is just a psychedelic if ingested exogenously. Dreams are a very complex phenomena and as far as science ca tell us DMT is not present in the brain (nor is it "released" during dreaming, sex, death etc) at a high enough level to produce any actrion.

^^Where are you getting your information? This is from Erowid:

As of September 2010, this question of whether DMT is produced in the brain does not have a simple yes or no answer. It has not yet been conclusively demonstrated that DMT is produced in the living human brain, but there are strong reasons to believe that it might be, as well as technical issues that make the theory difficult to verify.

Source

I'm actually reading a book on this guys research on DMT. It's called "DMT: The Spirit Molecule" by Rick Strassman, M.D.

There's very strong evidence that DMT is produced in nearly every living thing. It's believed to be produced in the pineal gland, which he calls the "soul's seat".

I'm not very far into the book yet, but it's very interesting. Apparently, there's a spike in DMT before death, and at a certain point in pregnancy.

It's only a theory that DMT is produced when we dream and I don't think there's too much evidence to support it, but there's definitely strong evidence that DMT is naturally produced in our brains.

I'm actually reading a book on this guys research on DMT. It's called "DMT: The Spirit Molecule" by Rick Strassman, M.D.

There's very strong evidence that DMT is produced in nearly every living thing. It's believed to be produced in the pineal gland, which he calls the "soul's seat".

I'm not very far into the book yet, but it's very interesting. Apparently, there's a spike in DMT before death, and at a certain point in pregnancy.

It's only a theory that DMT is produced when we dream and I don't think there's too much evidence to support it, but there's definitely strong evidence that DMT is naturally produced in our brains.

That book is pretty shoddily researched and sourced. From my recollection most of what Rick Strassman says is unfounded.

^yeah, there is little evidence beyond speculation regarding DMT's purpose in the human brain. All the "release during death" type stuff is mostly speculation regarding NDE's. There's a documentary out based on the Spirit Molecule book & preceding research as well. Its an interesting watch, but wavers back & forth between science & pseudoscience/speculation. IMO Strassman's non-scientific publications should be taken with a grain (or otherwise appropriate amount) of salt.

I've also read some claims that seem to infer DMT is produced in living plants & animals as a biosynthetic precursor to serotonin or similar neurotransmitters, this is not well supported either though.

I'm not so sure about that.

It was legitimate research with human experimentation included. I'm not very far in the book yet, but I think it sounds legit.

Nah, pretty much everything Strassman claims is complete fucking horseshit.

DMT is absolutely nothing like dreams and it's nothing like near death experiences. I don't believe it's used in the brain for it's psychedelic effect at all.

I have the book, a LOT of the stuff he writes is either conjecture in some cases, or bollocks in others. It is, however an enjoyable read, the bioassay studies are interesting.

its pretty well known that the idea that DMT is produced in the brain... and taking it further - used from dreaming... is not proven or even solidly theorized. Its actually sort of mind-boggling how many people go spouting this "hypothesis at best" as a fact when it is definitely not... at all. Even popular movies like Gasper Noe's "Enter The Void" (which i do find enjoyable although I am still puzzled why lol) discusses it as if its science fact.

Its still up in the air whether or not its even produced in the brain at all... although we do know that it is produced in humans bodies... somewhere lol.

I maintain that DMT is present in tissue extracts (brain, but also perhipherally) but not at concentrations comparable to psychedelic dosages.

Rick Strassman's book is equal parts legend and fairy tales. It really shouldn't be counted on as a pharmacological reference for DMT.

DMT is also produced in humans; however, its production and purpose in the brain has yet to be proven or understood. [8] It is originally derived from the essential amino acid tryptophan and ultimately produced by the enzyme INMT during normal metabolism.[9] The significance of its widespread natural presence remains undetermined. DMT is structurally analogous to the neurotransmitter serotonin (5-HT) and the hormone melatonin

As told by wikipedia ^
When tryptophan is ingested with a 30 gram carbohydrate snack it is seen to boost serotonin levels. Serotonin is responsible to help produce the hormone melatonin which regulates sleeping. There are some uncanny connections between the chemicals dmt and those that aid out sleeping.

I think that WILD puts you into rem sleep despite not having to go through all the stages. This is why wild happens best early in the morning (when REM sleep is at its longest cycles). Any full blown lucid dream requires REM sleep I believe.

just because you are awake for a few minutes doesn't mean you have to start the stages all over again. I always have WILDS after waking up early in the morning then falling back to sleep. Did you have yours from a fully awake state?

Stephen Laberges book comments on these topics a bit i think, but it sounds like youve read it.

I don't know about DMT's role in dreaming but I would imagine that there could be one. I never understood the skepticism regarding Rick Strassman and his DMT work. I suppose that people are aware by now that DMT has been found in the pineal of live rats. The research is being done and it sounds like he was onto something all along.

https://www.cottonwoodresearch.org/

You need to read the link I posted. I'm sorry but you are wrong. He is a doctor who specializes in psychiatry with a fellowship in clinical psychopharmacology. You are ill informed at best. Try Wikipedia or read his book. He is on the forefront of the research and you talk out of your
ass on Internet forums.

You wouldn't know about any of this if it weren't for him. It's ok, you're not alone. The other pretentious know-it-all's are are back pedaling since this came out. Hilarious!

+1 for the barrel rolls! I have been lucid dreaming for a little while now and I ALWAYS get that feeling of flipping around in my head. Just a side note, my lucid dreaming became quite profound in the months following a DMT experience. Floating above my bed etc... Nobody will really know an answer until clinical evidence has been gathered, so instead of bashing each other, we should be proactive in our support for DMT testing to take place so we can learn more about this fascinating chemical.