View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines DMT Induced seizure??

Blazedpeach

Greenlighter
Whenever I smoke dmt with someone new I ask them a range of questions like "Do you have any family history of epilepsy, schizophrenia, stoke, suffered a severe brain injury...ect"
This guy I've been hanging out with initially said yes to having once had a head injury when he was 13. He was in a coma for a few months, even had surgery and all that. Had to relearn literally everything. He's now 24 and hasn't experienced any complications since his recovery. He also was accompanied by his mother who vouched for him when he claimed to have smoked dmt a few times before.
I informed them of the possible risks anyway, which include seizure, stoke, and brain aneurysm.
A few months have passed since then and we've shared many experiences with no signs of any trouble. Until today. We were sitting on my couch, took a couple of hits and suddenly my dog wanted to go outside (like always right then, second hit in, without fail seems like lol) just when Bear started whining to go out, Dan started twitching or jerking his head to the left. I asked him what was wrong and stuttered a few times and then said " I dunno, what do you mean" and he kept doing it. He would blink real hard and look kinda far away like he was trying to focus on something. I tried to get him to look right at me but he kept jerking to the side and blinking and just didn't really seem able to focus for a few seconds. I asked him if he was fucking with me and he said no. My dog was getting frantic about having to go potty so I told Dan I was going to let him out. When I came back (literally not even a whole twenty seconds later) and Dan seemed fine. I asked him if he remembered what happened and he said yeah, that was weird huh. YES IT WAS WEIRD. I don't know what to think. He's mad I won't smoke with him anymore and he insists it was probably because there was "a lot going on" he says. But I call bullshit. We've smoked together at crowded parties and that never happened before. I think he may have had a small seizure. What do you guys think?
Also, he recently told me that he sees himself with "baby hands" every time he smokes dmt. I read just earlier tonight and I quote "a sensation that an arm or leg feels bigger or smaller than it actually is" is a common description of an "aura" (the feelings one gets just before having a seizure).
Just kind of sharing the experience to get some input, and possibly some confirmation I'm making the right choice by not continuing to share and or supply with my friend.

We were consuming DMT Freebase.
Ok, I would not be too worried about him seeing himself with small hands when he's under the influence of a very powerful hallucinogen.
Did he recall if he tried to stop the contractions in his neck?
Did he feel weird/behave differently/had any problems after the effects wore off?

It happens...

Had a friend sieze once at a high dose to never have problems again. I think it is not unheard of to happen on psilocybin as well.

Unsure of severity of the event.

Ok, I would not be too worried about him seeing himself with small hands when he's under the influence of a very powerful hallucinogen.
Did he recall if he tried to stop the contractions in his neck?
Did he feel weird/behave differently/had any problems after the effects wore off?
No, he seems perfectly fine. He stayed the night so I could watch him.
He said he couldn't help but to do it. He couldn't predict it well enough to try and prevent or correct it. Even though it was rhythmic.

No, he seems perfectly fine. He stayed the night so I could watch him.
He said he couldn't help but to do it. He couldn't predict it well enough to try and prevent or correct it. Even though it was rhythmic.
I can't say what it is obviously, but I've had weird muscular contractions on psychedelics, although not rhythmic as you described.
For me it was more like a non severe cramp moving around in a muscle.
Do you know how much each of you was vaping that time?

First off, props for being that “provider” (term I like to use over any other for this particular role) that actually cares enough to get a background on someone before partaking.

I’ve had two instances that I’ve heard of (neither under my watch) where people had seizures from DMT.

The first was a good friend who smoked 100mg for his first time (stupid amount) and proceeded to dive through a glass table then flop like a fish.

The second was a gal in my group who had been doing K for days on end. She seized up but most of the group were hesitant to get help (festival) cuz they thought it would end soon. From what I heard she was still seized up 30min later as she got carted away in an ambulance.

DMT is a gift from god but also isn’t benign either. It can take you there and never let you come back if it really wants to.

-GC

Sounds like a minor/partial seizure from your description. I've had various types of seizures myself, but never from psychedelics. People can have partial seizures in which they may be unaware that it even happened and will appear conscious, yet other people can tell something happened.

I think you did everything right

However, honestly, I would have your friend put something in writing that he knows the risks. Worst case scenario, you don't want to get sued by a grieving family.

Personally I would be very uncomfortable sharing my stash with him after that, namely just due to his own safety. But if he's an adult... idk, his choices.

Also, he recently told me that he sees himself with "baby hands" every time he smokes dmt. I read just earlier tonight and I quote "a sensation that an arm or leg feels bigger or smaller than it actually is" is a common description of an "aura" (the feelings one gets just before having a seizure).
nah, I know what he's trying to describe. Every time I smoke DMT and look at my hands, arms or legs they look like like they have become... very short and blunt, almost cartoonish and "baby hands", compared to what they were. It looks very strange and happens every time for me. I've never heard "baby hands" but that rings a bell and resonates with my own DMT experiences.

Last edited:
Sounds like a minor/partial seizure from your description. I've had various types of seizures myself, but never from psychedelics. People can have partial seizures in which they may be unaware that it even happened and will appear conscious, yet other people can tell something happened.

I think you did everything right

However, honestly, I would have your friend put something in writing that he knows the risks. Worst case scenario, you don't want to get sued by a grieving family.

Personally I would be very uncomfortable sharing my stash with him after that, namely just due to his own safety. But if he's an adult... idk, his choices.

nah, I know what he's trying to describe. Every time I smoke DMT and look at my hands, arms or legs they look like like they have become... very short and blunt, almost cartoonish and "baby hands", compared to what they were. It looks very strange and happens every time for me. I've never heard "baby hands" but that rings a bell and resonates with my own DMT experiences.
Even if I had something in writing I doubt I would be able to sleep at night knowing I was the one. I decided to stay stubborn with my decision. If he wants to take those kinds of risks he must do so else where. He's going to be upset with me a while but I'd rather have that than a guilty conscience.

Even if I had something in writing I doubt I would be able to sleep at night knowing I was the one. I decided to stay stubborn with my decision. If he wants to take those kinds of risks he must do so else where. He's going to be upset with me a while but I'd rather have that than a guilty conscience.
I would make the same decision as you.

We truly have no idea. Many people who take medications will, for whatever reason, NEVER admit it to someone else. I have a friend who is schizophrenic and takes meds... I've seen him take them, I KNOW he takes them, but no matter what I say or ask, he refuses to admit he takes any medications.

I'm not saying that's what's going on here, I'm just saying there are too many potential UNKNOWNS going on, especially if he had a major brain injury, that DMT is just throwing some lion bait into a bunch on pigeons and hoping there isnt' actually a lion there (I'm weird as fuck and come up with weird fucking analogies but I hope you get what I'm saying).

DMT itself is a rather safe molecule, but this is assuming someone has a "normal" brain condition which it's being introduced to.

DMT is more unpredictable than any other psychedelic IMO.

I used to be johnny appleseed and would give out DMT free to all my friends, but like you, I did not give it out like candy and always made sure nobody would be hurt.