• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! DMT Identification - Possibility of Adulterants or Analogs in Vape Cartridges?

RoleOfTheDi

Greenlighter
I've been using DMT for a few years and I've only ever used the vape cartridges from local sources but it's become impossible to find in my area. Recently I got a cart the came from the internet.

The taste is very similar but off in a way I can't properly explain. The effects are also very similar. The geometry is noticably different, the onset is slightly slower and the duration about two to three times as long. The crystalization in the vape solution itself was very unlike anything I'd seen before, almost like it was full of hair.

After hitting it I immediately developed tremors, elevated heart rate and then begin shivering from cold. Then the classic symptoms of allergic reaction began. Swelling, itching and clogged sinuses. Also at what should have been a breakthrough dose I had symptoms I never heard of from DMT. I became very agitated and couldn't stop moving trying to get comfortable. The movements were repetitious and accelerated and felt necessary. Denying or even questioning the impulse never crossed my mind. There was geometry everywhere but not like what come to expect and it was very overwhelming. I couldn't speak words, my thoughts were incoherent and I felt very stressed. No fear or panic just general anxiety and dissatisfaction - the polar opposites of how DMT has always made me feel.

I'm aware that adult allergies happen spontaneous for reasons unknown. But I've never had warning signs before. I've IV'd it twice in the past with no adverse reaction. I'm very upset at the idea of never experiencing DMT again so I'm trying to exhaust all other possible explanations. After some research and not finding much on the topic at all, Ive come up with two possible explanations.

Analogs like DPT and other tryptamines can have very similar effects to DMT. Some are research chemicals and not exactly illegal and easier to obtain. And possibly distribute as DMT since many people might not question it.

The other possibility is that since fentanyl seems to be making an appearance in all sorts of places it shouldn't - methamphetamine, cocaine, heroin, pills, ect. - why not in DMT as well?

Are either of those plausible? If so how could I test the theory? Does anyone else have another hypothesis? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

There's not much I could find on the subject so thank you for any information, ideas, advice or insight anyone can provide.

Sounds like they used less then pure DMT imo.
Ive made vapejuice from DMT and its important to start off with as close to pure white crystals as possible.

The more oily and yellow the Crystals are the more DMT oxide and gunk from the plant source is present in the final product.
Did you notice any difference in colour of the various products you tried?

Let's pump the brakes a second here - first things first, DPT is nothing like DMT. The only way DPT is similar to DMT is in terms of intensity. So in that sense you could say that strong coffee and a very spicy pepper also have similar effects. This is in addition to the fact that a massive dose of DMT (50mg) is a relatively low dosage for DPT. So, it's not DPT you have my friend. If you did, though, maybe I'd ask for some - although vaping it is not the way to go at all IMO.

But I digress - another thing you mention, about fentanyl showing up in places in shouldn't, like meth, heroin, cocaine....these all sound par for the course in terms of fentanyl contamination. The people who sell these drugs, generally, have a, erm, particular vibe if you will - and are more willing to do sheisty sheit.

If I heard about LSD paper, mushrooms, DMT, ketamine, or MDMA cut with fentanyl, I would be very very concerned and wonder what the hell the world has come to. But that really doesn't happen much.

From what you're saying, it sounds like they did not get all the solvents out. I can only imagine what vaping naptha would do to one's nervous system..

Best to just be safe, and extract your own DMT. I am by no means a chemist, and I did it successfully with only VM&P naptha, MHRB, a couple mason jars, a glass pipette, some protective chemical gloves, a pyrex dish, and some potassium hydroxide. It's a pretty straightforward process, and this way you can know what you are using.

Other than that, I'd recommend vetting your online vendors a bit better

Cheers

Let's pump the brakes a second here - first things first, DPT is nothing like DMT. The only way DPT is similar to DMT is in terms of intensity.
I never understood where the misconception came from that DPT is like DMT other than some of the letters are the same. To me they could not be more different. DPT being like intense LSD for a much shorter time. At least IMO. I guess someone else could think they are similar although most here would agree they are different.

I just realized that possibly 20 years ago a person had to be self sufficient in DMT. Now in 2023 it has made almost street drug status, complete along with the guessing of what it could be. With DMT I don't think corners should be cut. Trust yourself. Not anyone selling it to you.

I never understood where the misconception came from that DPT is like DMT other than some of the letters are the same. To me they could not be more different. DPT being like intense LSD for a much shorter time. At least IMO. I guess someone else could think they are similar although most here would agree they are different.

I just realized that possibly 20 years ago a person had to be self sufficient in DMT. Now in 2023 it has made almost street drug status, complete along with the guessing of what it could be. With DMT I don't think corners should be cut. Trust yourself. Not anyone selling it to you.

That’s a good point. It’s amazing where DMT is now to 20-30yrs ago. I always suggest extracting oneself because learning the process is easy, rewarding and once you know it you can extract many other plants as well. (Like Mescaline for example!)

Interesting to hear DPT is so different, I heard it described as DMT’s evil cousin and that was enough for me to be scared lol.

-GC

That’s a good point. It’s amazing where DMT is now to 20-30yrs ago. I always suggest extracting oneself because learning the process is easy, rewarding and once you know it you can extract many other plants as well. (Like Mescaline for example!)

Interesting to hear DPT is so different, I heard it described as DMT’s evil cousin and that was enough for me to be scared lol.

-GC
I still encourage you to try DPT if you get the chance my dude.

It's a holy sort of experience, for sure. Had me on my hands and knees and such. Blasted open a vortex before my very eyes, a spinning portal to other dimensions.

Evil is most certainly not the right word - ominous, serious, heavy, rapturous? Oh ya

Don't write it off is all I'm saying - I got immense value out of my DPT experiences. But it's not to be taken lightly lol. Only thing that sucks is how horrible it is to insufflate...

I still encourage you to try DPT if you get the chance my dude.

It's a holy sort of experience, for sure. Had me on my hands and knees and such. Blasted open a vortex before my very eyes, a spinning portal to other dimensions.

Evil is most certainly not the right word - ominous, serious, heavy, rapturous? Oh ya

Don't write it off is all I'm saying - I got immense value out of my DPT experiences. But it's not to be taken lightly lol. Only thing that sucks is how horrible it is to insufflate...

Yea I’ve got about 50-100mg of what I presume is DPT. It was given to me in 2014 or so by a buddy who was gifted it as 5-MeO-DMT. Thing is, upon talking with him the dosage just wasn’t matching up with 5-MeO. It sounded much more like DPT and looks like it too, also DPT was really common back then.

Now that I think on it, I should see if any reagents can differentiate between DMT, DPT, and 5-MEO. I’m willing to give it a go finally after all these years either way.

-GC

I've never had 5-MeO, but I can tell you DPT has a very strong smell, for one potential indicator, and has always been white in my experience. 100mg is certainly enough to give you a ++++ when insufflated - and god forbid you mix it with something........ahahahah let me know if you try it

I should see if any reagents can differentiate between DMT, DPT, and 5-MEO
I would try to mix up some Modified Van Urk reagent.

I dunno about dpt vs dmt but it differentiates psilocin from say baeocystin. I forget exact recipe could prolly track it down if you're really interested.

I think I found it by researching TLC for psilocybin. I believe it was on shroomery

I would try to mix up some Modified Van Urk reagent.

I dunno about dpt vs dmt but it differentiates psilocin from say baeocystin. I forget exact recipe could prolly track it down if you're really interested.

I think I found it by researching TLC for psilocybin. I believe it was on shroomery

Please do. A quick search reveals there’s quite a few different modifications. I do have the Hofmann which is said to be another name for Van Urk reagent. Now how is it modified? :)

It would be cool to try and figure it out before I dive head first into a potential 5-MEO mindfuck lol.

-GC

I've been having trouble finding it but i thought it used dimethylaminocinnamonaldehyde in stead of p-dimethylaminobenzaldehyde and I'm seeing sulfuric acid may be used instead of hydrochloric The good news is it looks like an ehrlich reagent may suffice. According to Trouts notes (I highly recommend it's a free pdf it's got tons of useful and hard to find info) 5-meo-dmt will turn bluish and it say DET will be reddish purple. I assume DPT would react similarly to DET. I just tested the 5 meo and it does have a blue hue. I've misplaced (or possibly thru out when I was drunk) my DPT so I cant test it.

Another (more reliable) option would be to run thin layer chromatography (TLC) which the book also has tons of good info on. If you do go this route, I'd be more than happy to help you learn how. TLC is incredibly useful. Not only does it allow you to verify with much greater sureness, it can also illuminate if other compounds are present.

Are either of those plausible? If so how could I test the theory?
RCs seems possible, but I highly doubt theres fentanyl in it. Do you know if it is synthetic or extract? The synthetic carts are entirely clear usually, and for whatever reason, it can be quite different than extracts which might have a hodgepodge of alkaloids DMT, NMT, their n-oxide derivatives and potentially even beta carbolines.

Def sounds weird. The only real way to know would be to get it tested by a real analytical lab.

I've been using DMT for a few years and I've only ever used the vape cartridges from local sources but it's become impossible to find in my area. Recently I got a cart the came from the internet.

The taste is very similar but off in a way I can't properly explain. The effects are also very similar. The geometry is noticably different, the onset is slightly slower and the duration about two to three times as long. The crystalization in the vape solution itself was very unlike anything I'd seen before, almost like it was full of hair.

After hitting it I immediately developed tremors, elevated heart rate and then begin shivering from cold. Then the classic symptoms of allergic reaction began. Swelling, itching and clogged sinuses. Also at what should have been a breakthrough dose I had symptoms I never heard of from DMT. I became very agitated and couldn't stop moving trying to get comfortable. The movements were repetitious and accelerated and felt necessary. Denying or even questioning the impulse never crossed my mind. There was geometry everywhere but not like what come to expect and it was very overwhelming. I couldn't speak words, my thoughts were incoherent and I felt very stressed. No fear or panic just general anxiety and dissatisfaction - the polar opposites of how DMT has always made me feel.

I'm aware that adult allergies happen spontaneous for reasons unknown. But I've never had warning signs before. I've IV'd it twice in the past with no adverse reaction. I'm very upset at the idea of never experiencing DMT again so I'm trying to exhaust all other possible explanations. After some research and not finding much on the topic at all, Ive come up with two possible explanations.

Analogs like DPT and other tryptamines can have very similar effects to DMT. Some are research chemicals and not exactly illegal and easier to obtain. And possibly distribute as DMT since many people might not question it.

The other possibility is that since fentanyl seems to be making an appearance in all sorts of places it shouldn't - methamphetamine, cocaine, heroin, pills, ect. - why not in DMT as well?

Are either of those plausible? If so how could I test the theory? Does anyone else have another hypothesis? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

There's not much I could find on the subject so thank you for any information, ideas, advice or insight anyone can provide.

I have had an experience that may or may not have some weird thread of a connection.
The end of last summer I did a line of what I thought was just meth. It was not .
It was contaminated with fentanyl. And holy fucking fuck, was it INTENSE.
Reminder .. I didn't know it was in there.
( I'm going to keep it short and if there are questions ... Lmk)
So I do the line and 10 minutes later I was sitting in the family room organizing and my heart started racing and I got very warm lika a niacin flush but not quite as sweaty as one , I started feeling like I was falling forward off the stool and kept falling like the floor was gone , I got really nauseous and threw up .
I drank some water and took deep breaths closed my eyes and laid down still felt the falling but not as intense
As soon as I closed my eyes the geometry I saw was INCREDIBLE. And scary .
When I did the line it tasted and smelled felt and reminded in all ways , albeit subtly, of Coke.
My heart was racing the whole time but it was weird.

Racy but not panic racy. It was a Mello racy if that makes sense.
I don't know, all I know is that shit was nuts.