• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [DMT Extraction Subthread] Lazy Man's DMT Tek

I've never seen a glass container break from a strong base solution and I've seen glass bottles hold some very strong laboratory stock solutions.

I've also used that 1g lye per gram of bark and it worked great. Quart sized tall, thin(ish) pickle jar is what I used. Not one of those short, bulgy ones. Find something that is on the tall and skinny side; you get more resolution of the layers; like you get more liquid off the top before you touch the other layer.

Dissolving the base is certainly a strongly exothermic reaction but nothing glass shattering. You can kinda touch the sides of the glass but you definitely let it cool down before continuing your extraction

^ Actually, I usually add the naphtha immediately after the MHRB powder, while the exothermic reaction is still in full swing. This heats the solvent and allows it to become supersaturated with DMT. This is particularly useful on the first pull, when crystals sometimes start to crash out as soon as the (drawn off) naphtha cools to room temperature in the evaporation dish.

I've never seen a glass container break from a strong base solution and I've seen glass bottles hold some very strong laboratory stock solutions.

I've also used that 1g lye per gram of bark and it worked great. Quart sized tall, thin(ish) pickle jar is what I used. Not one of those short, bulgy ones. Find something that is on the tall and skinny side; you get more resolution of the layers; like you get more liquid off the top before you touch the other layer.

Dissolving the base is certainly a strongly exothermic reaction but nothing glass shattering. You can kinda touch the sides of the glass but you definitely let it cool down before continuing your extraction

I'm not questioning whether it works, I'm just thinking large batches could get interesting if not careful.

Maybe I'm thinking pure Hydrochloric acid. Hell, I know just enough chemistry to be dangerous!

^ actually, i usually add the naphtha immediately after the mhrb powder, while the exothermic reaction is still in full swing. This heats the solvent and allows it to become supersaturated with dmt. This is particularly useful on the first pull, when crystals sometimes start to crash out as soon as the (drawn off) naphtha cools to room temperature in the evaporation dish.

bingo

why wait for anything when you can extract in under an hour?

Because the heated naphtha also pulls all kinds of crap like plant oils and won't give you as pure product...

^ You can always clean it up thru recrystallization if you want, but my first pull of each batch is usually pretty nice; little white round pinwheels of spice! :) <3 :)

I have a friend of a friend whose is going to do an extraction soon, and has found lye that has sodium hydroxide but also sodium hypochlorite. Is says it has no phosphorous or anything else. Is this ok?

/where can you obtain naptha in the sort of quantities need to do this extraction? can you obtain it online?

all of the guides ive read suggest hardware stores, but they only sell butane in these tiny little condensed air spray cans which is not useful for the purposes of this extraction...

I have a friend of a friend whose is going to do an extraction soon, and has found lye that has sodium hydroxide but also sodium hypochlorite. Is says it has no phosphorous or anything else. Is this ok?

NO! Sodium hypochlorite is bleach. It will destroy any indole-ring containing compound, including tryptamines. :X You want just plain NaOH.

/where can you obtain naptha in the sort of quantities need to do this extraction? can you obtain it online?

all of the guides ive read suggest hardware stores, but they only sell butane in these tiny little condensed air spray cans which is not useful for the purposes of this extraction...
Yeah, you can get pure heptane from chemical supply companies online, buy VM&P naptha from hardware stores (or another brand of paint thinner that's just naptha), and I've been thinking recently that petrol (gasoline) should work fine.

I'm planning on doing an extraction here in a couple weeks with around a pound of Mimosa, I read the Erowid tek here and feel I have it down for the most part I was wondering though, when I go to put my jars in the freezer do I have a lid over them? or just have them open? I was gonna use some Mason jars or something. Thanks for any help! and sorry for resurrecting this thread but I didn't want to make a new thread

Why wouldn't you put a lid on the jar? Mason jars are a bit big for a freeze precip, you should just be able to use a jam jar, maybe two.

I was wondering if it might mess with the evap process but thanks Vader

You're not evaporating in the freezer, though, right? You're precipitating the DMT out of the solvent.