• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! Dmt extraction final step: evaporate or freeze??

lukecooper

Greenlighter
Almost finished with first dmt extraction and am stuck on the last step, I've put the naphtha containing the dmt into the freezer and when I took it out the next day there was a solid frozen layer at the bottom, I'm assuming this is a mix of dmt and fats. My question is should I leave the naphtha to fully evaporate for a few days? Thanks
Edit: a.confusa was used

Last edited:
what you call a "frozen layer" at the bottom is most probably somewhat impure DMT freebase crystals... if you let all of the solvent evaporate, you will get a much more impure product. just seperate the crystals from the solvcent while still cold and let the crystals dry for a day or two.

I generally evaporate my nonpolar solvent. If I need to clean up the precipitate then I resolve and carefully mix it so the insoluble material doesn't get suspended in the solvent.

I use to freeze it out but I grow amazing crystals with evaporation, I also do a/b followed by defat and sodium carbonate wash, my non polar layer is generally clear and I evaporate down to about 50mL and pour that off to keep the impurities down.

You can always clean up what you get the first time.

There shouldn't be ANY frozen layer unless you pulled some of your water/lye layer over when you separated the Naptha.
All you should see in your, perfectly clear, Naptha when freeze precipitating are white crystals growing on the bottom of your glass pan.
Evaporating is only going to INCREASE impurities and should only be done AFTER you have harvested your pure white crystals.
When done correctly you should see little to no residue when evaporating after your freeze precipitation and you should/can reuse your naptha at least once.
Keep practicing. I cooked meth for several years and learned a lot of useful tricks doing that before I ever even heard of DMT, so....practice, practice, practice.
OP, are you using MHRB or A. Confusa?

Last edited:
True dat ^.. if it's really frozen and not just precipitated, you have clearly done a fractional freeze on a bit of water in there. If it's a tiny bit, you could get it out by drying over a desiccant which won't dissolve in the hexane - it absorbs the water and you can then filter it out. But that's only for quite tiny bits, otherwise you have to do the a/b extraction again.

The major difference between evaporating and freezing is like phuckingnutz says that you actually separate by recrystallizing giving you purer product whereas with evaporating you get rid of nothing. Both involve pushing the solubility gradually so the DMT starts to precipitate, if you don't get as good results from freezing you either haven't honed in on the proper high concentration of your solution before cooling it down, or if the crystals aren't nice you are going too fast. I'd always recommend perfecting your freeze crystallization so that you can evap what's left over and either keep it as lesser product or recombine with later extractions that let you lose some more impurities.

So the frozen layer is mainly water/lye and dmt? So how can I remove the lye/water mixture?

if you seperated your phases (organic vs aqueous), there should be no water in your container to freeze out. how does it look like? maybe post a picture...

So the frozen layer is mainly water/lye and dmt? So how can I remove the lye/water mixture?

No, there is no DMT in the aqueous layer, unless you haven't made your batch basic enough. Try separating it again, but throw NOTHING away until you know where your DMT is.
The separation may be done several ways. Consult Youtube.

How did you separate the naphtha from the watery layer in the first place?

It could be ice at the bottom... Did you cover the naptha container in the freezer or leave it open and exposed to the air? Also it's probably too much naptha to freeze precip and should evaporate

this thread is another reminder that you should do proper research before you perform an extraction ;)

Freeze, filter.

Then evaporate and clean residue. Options are a 2nd a/b extraction from the residue if it's really dirty, activated chaarcoal+IPA and if it's already really clean a cold water wash.

You'll end up with the most peculiar extracts when you start trying different techniques. Back when I still extracted very large amounts per extraction (~120g) I ended up with 99.9% pure DMT (confirmed by NMR, GC/MS performed in a Merck lab).

However the most pleasurable extract I ever yielded were red translucent crystals. Dosage was about 1/3 of the white.

Last edited:
Hooray for red jungle spice, yes. Should be best extracted using xylene, I believe. Or perhaps toluene was better.
I don't think the potentiating agents were ever convincingly elucidated.. they were thought to be MAOI and candidates were yuremamine and kokosaginine.

That shit was the bomb, best I ever had, now that you mention it I would do an extraction again for that especially, but not that interested in plain DMT right now. Don't have those solvents on hand... and I doubt you get a peculiar extract with cyclohexane.

IM DMT also lasts a damn long time yes.

Hooray for red jungle spice, yes. Should be best extracted using xylene, I believe. Or perhaps toluene was better.
I don't think the potentiating agents were ever convincingly elucidated.. they were thought to be MAOI and candidates were yuremamine and kokosaginine.

That shit was the bomb, best I ever had, now that you mention it I would do an extraction again for that especially, but not that interested in plain DMT right now. Don't have those solvents on hand... and I doubt you get a peculiar extract with cyclohexane.

IM DMT also lasts a damn long time yes.
If only I had any idea how I yielded that stuff. I have actually used Xylene and Toluene plenty of times during my extractions, but never did I end up with these imperial red translucent crystals. I was using Coleman Fuel that time and all I got were 600mg out of a total of 8g spice. I tried to reproduce it afterwards using the same material, but I failed. Did you ever manage to extract it reliably?

I remember hearing different things about it back then, e.g. the active compound being yuremamine, others said yuremamine is a compound produced only by some subspecies of Mimosa Hostilis that would render DMT orally active, possibly by a mechanism other than MAO inhibition.

Kokosaginine, eh? I haven't even heard of that one. Lots of rumors surrounding this "jungle spice".

To do that you would need to extract used (napthta extracted) MHRB with xylene I think, otherwise you would pull a lot of DMT along with it which surely isn't bad but by comparison makes it less red and jungle-y. But I can't say about anything actually reliable per se. Should be soluble in xylene, toluene and limonene and if it's soluble that's all there is to it, potentially that is. Don't know about possible different pH requirements or anything like that. Just check DMT nexus.

The MHRB i have now did not yield much DMT before and I'm pretty sure i did a decent job with good equipment. Unfortunately I dumped some red mimosa fraction a while back since it was in an intermediate stage and I neglected the whole topic for a while. Hopefully I have more luck next time or let it at least be nice and jungley.

I don't see how DMT would be rendered active without MAO inhibition if it gets eaten by MAO. Potentiated maybe, or competitively inhibited but most of that technically involves inhibition.

Anybody ever bought m. Hostilis bark from *snip*? Trying to find a reliable source. Please help!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how DMT would be rendered active without MAO inhibition if it gets eaten by MAO. Potentiated maybe, or competitively inhibited but most of that technically involves inhibition.

Well it's not entirely impossible that it would form some sort of complex with other compounds preventing MAO from processing it. E.g. a process like chelation could turn out to be responsible. However this takes speculation a bit far and my chemistry knowledge is very limited, so let's just leave it at this: A lot of people claim the root bark of (some subspecies of?) Mimosa Hostilis to be active orally without adding any MAOI. I've never tried it and I am not planning to. I will just keep smoking DMT or injecting it intravenously every couple of years. :)

Btw regarding IM DMT: What is your dosage?

My wife has tried smoking DMT once, but we ended up burning the material in a freebase pipe. If this has happened to you before you know the horrible sensation this will cause in your throat. Add to that her unfamiliarity with the indole taste and it's easy to understand why she is never gonna smoke DMT again, no matter how much I try to convince her.
She IS willing to try an injection of DMT, but I promised myself that I am never gonna give her intravenous injections of psychoactive compounds for recreational reasons. I would be willing to give her an IM shot of DMT though. The information I have found has been very heterogenous with some people claiming it to be inactive at doses below 300mg of the fumarate and others stating that 100mg sent them to hyperspace for hours. I really wouldn't want to see us fuck this up which is why I have abstained from doing it with her ever since her attempt to smoke it failed 16 months ago, despite occasional requests.

An MAOI would be another option, but it's hard to go all the way to hyperspace with the oral route in my experience.

Last edited:
There shouldn't be ANY frozen layer unless you pulled some of your water/lye layer over when you separated the Naptha.
All you should see in your, perfectly clear, Naptha when freeze precipitating are white crystals growing on the bottom of your glass pan.
Evaporating is only going to INCREASE impurities and should only be done AFTER you have harvested your pure white crystals.
When done correctly you should see little to no residue when evaporating after your freeze precipitation and you should/can reuse your naptha at least once.
Keep practicing. I cooked meth for several years and learned a lot of useful tricks doing that before I ever even heard of DMT, so....practice, practice, practice.
OP, are you using MHRB or A. Confusa?

So when I put mine in the freezer I used a thin pyrex or glass plate and I only had naptha it froze all but a small puddle day 1 I thawed it let alil evaporate froze it again less froze same time frame I repeated 1 more time and let it all evaporate the last time and a nose thin crystalyn spot spread alil yellowish not bad and then a blank spot and then white powder spots Idk wat it was never found any info so I washed it away and made peace with the decision so any clue?

and how does one wash the impurities?

make an account on DMT Nexus forum - or search forum without an account (i think you can view without being a member)

pretty sure its all on the first page from memory