• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DMT "aztec" feeling

True - mushrooms may have played a bigger part in the past but I was really struck when I read a book about Maria Sabina - she was literally the only person in the entire village who ever took mushrooms. And she only took them to diagnose illness like some kind of witchdoctor. So whatever tradition there was had died out by the time Wasson got there.
Absolutely! :)

It didn't just "die out", aztec use of entheogens was totally forbidden by the conquistadors because it was thought to be a devilish unchristian practice. And by the time Wasson and Hoffman made their expedition to Mexico, mushroom use was almost forgotten.

With Cortez's defeat of the Aztecs in 1521, the Europeans began to forbid the use of non-alcohol intoxicants, including sacred mushrooms, and the use of teonanácatl ('wondrous mushroom', or 'flesh of the gods') was driven underground.
from http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_history

During the initial conquest of Nueva España from the Caribbean throughout Central America to México, the use of inebriating intoxicants (including fungi) was a dominating factor in the culture and peoples of the Aztec empire. These sacraments were frowned upon by the Spanish invaders, who observed the Aztec priests and their followers being served the sacred fungi at festivals and coronations. It should be pointed out that the Spanish were very mycophobic and they were repulsed by the mere mention of any type of mushroom. They also deplored the pagan like rituals and the priests who employed mushrooms and other magical herb/drug plants as divinatory substances. They wrote in their histories that Teonanácatl (Teunamacatlth), a term used by the Nahuatl speaking Aztec priests in describing the sacred mushrooms may have implied "God's Flesh or Flesh of the Gods." However, many historians wrote of the mushrooms in a negative view. For example: one author described the mushrooms as "Hongol demonico ydolo" (for more terms and names of the sacred mushrooms, see Allen, 1997c). According to Wasson (1980), "teo" meant awesome or wondrous and "nanacátl" implied mushroom or even meat.

Teonanácatl or "magic mushroom" was one of the most important of the many narcotic drug/herb plants described in several codices written after the arrival of the Spanish in the 15th century. The mushrooms were often administered among the common people, merchants, visiting dignitaries; and even the wealthy were known to have consumed them.
http://www.mushroomjohn.org/aztec1.htm

The Church was appalled at the Mexica’s communion with demons. Ritual intoxication never took hold in Christianity and was considered part of the realm of demons and black magic. Fray Bernardino de Sahagún and Dr. Francisco Hernández would provide the earliest written accounts of people using entheogenic plants. From Sahagún’s account of the Chichimeca peyote ritual.

“There is another herb like tunas of the earth. It is called peiotl. It is white. It is found in the north country. Those who eat or drink it see visions either frightful or laughable. This intoxication lasts two or three days and then ceases. It is a common food of the Chichimeca, for it sustains them and gives them courage to fight and not feel fear not hunger nor thirst. And they say it protects them from all danger.”

The Jesuit priests went to great lengths to stamp out all vestiges of drug use. So thorough of a job they did, it would be another four centuries before evidence of the use of mushrooms would become public again. That is not to say that the practices were abandoned, they just went underground.
http://www.pkbrent.com/pyramidlodge/Pyramis/mexicaplants.htm

I've wondered about that "it was stamped out by the catholics". You need to do some pretty thorough "stamping out" to stop something happening for 400 years. I wonder if once the catholic religion was implanted in the natives they themselves found the idea of taking mushrooms anti-religious or thought that they brought on "madness".

Maria Sabina said her and a friend picked some mushrooms when they were kids and their parents found them laughing their heads off but "they did not shout at us because they knew that shouting at people who have taken the little ones that spring forth can cause madness".

Tribal INtelligence

Every time I have done DMT I have had some sort of tribal faces, beings dancing round my eyelids I think Aztec/mayan and they seem to be switching from happy to evil to mischievous as if saying look at this, look at me. I think the old tribes art must have been inspired by these images/ entities. but I may just sound like I'm talking bollocks lol.

One time I was told off for being greedy as I had done it twice in one day and was locked in what I can only describe as a psycadelic coffin and was told that I would never see any of my friends/ loved ones again as I had traded them for all the secrets of the universe and once I accepted this they released me. There is definitely intelligence in this drug

Last edited: