• Psychedelic Medicine

DMT | +50 articles

How DMT differs from other psychedelic medicines

by Carol Routledge, PhD | Pharmacy Times | 10 Jan 2022

Carol Routledge, PhD, chief medical and scientific officer at Small Pharma, discusses DMT, how it differs from other psychedelic medicines, and what the future holds for DMT-assisted treatments.

London-by-Night-1600.jpg

First phase clinical trials prove promising for DMT-assisted therapy

by Bryony Porteous-Sebouhian | Mental Health Today | 20 Oct 2021

Twenty years ago, the current new lease of life being given to psychedelic research and psychedelic-assisted therapy might have felt impossible. After years of stigmatisation and the pharmacological community scoffing at the idea, psychedelic substances such as psilocybin, MDMA and DMT (N, N-Dimethyltryptamine) are taking the spotlight for innovative treatments for mental disorders.

In December of 2020, pharmaceutical company Small Pharma and Imperial College London’s Centre for Psychedelic Research announced they would be conducting the world’s first clinical trials testing DMT’s effectiveness in treating major depressive disorders, that have been underserved by traditional SSRI (serotonin reuptake inhibitors) treatment.

The initial findings on the mechanistic effects of DMT by the Centre for Psychedelic Research have been very informative in terms of how DMT works. But what does this research uncover about the practicality of DMT assisted therapy? What does it indicate about the future potential of DMT as a therapeutic treatment?

We spoke to Dr Carol Routledge, Medical and Scientific Officer at Small Pharma about the initial process of choosing DMT for their research, the promising start made by their first clinical trial and on Small Pharma’s next steps.

Small Pharma and its history with psychedelic research

To start off our discussion, we asked Dr Routledge about how Imperial College London became their partner in the trials and about Small Pharma’s history with psychedelics as a treatment for mental disorders.

“I've been at Small Pharma for just under a year and a half now. And Small Pharma’s choice of DMT being the first psychedelic that they wanted to develop was made before I got here, but we can talk about the reasons for this selection later. Because of the experience that the Centre for Psychedelic Research has, not just with DMT, but all psychedelics and particularly in terms of the mechanistic studies they have conducted, it just made a lot of sense to partner with Imperial. So, they are advising on the study, both in terms of our better understanding of DMT, and then also in terms of the therapy protocol that is wrapped around the pharmaceutical.”

Dr Routledge also makes mention of researchers such as David Nutt, who as Routledge puts it “kept the flag flying” for the pharmacological potential of psychedelics.

On choosing DMT as their first development candidate in psychedelic-assisted therapy - the phrase ‘world’s first’ will always come with a lot of attention - we also spoke about Small Pharma’s history that led up to it.

“Small Pharma started off developing a metabolite of ketamine, 6-hydroxy-nor ketamine, which is still in our portfolio; this is where our introduction into psychedelic-assisted therapy started. I think Peter,” here speaking about Peter Rands, Small Pharma’s CEO and founder, “became interested in the research on psilocybin. Before selecting DMT, Small Pharma did thorough research into the psychedelic arena and selected DMT for, three different main reasons.”

“So first, it is a short acting psychedelic, but one that we think will have long-acting therapeutic benefit. Second, there's a reasonable amount of preclinical research that has been done on DMT. So, it shows activity in animal models of depression. Whilst animal models of depression are not so predictive, the models show that DMT has the same qualities as other antidepressant molecules in those models."

"Also, organizations like Imperial College London have done quite a lot of mechanistic research in humans. So, we have a good understanding of how we think that DMT works. They've used fMRI and EEG to really understand the change in neural connectedness and the increase in excitability to put together this hypothesis around brain plasticity and resetting of the brain. Thirdly, not many companies are working with DMT, they are developing other psychedelics but not really developing this one.”

Each psychedelic compound comes with its own limitations and unique qualities that lend it especially well to therapeutic benefits. We asked Dr Routledge what makes DMT so special, what is the DMT ‘unique selling point’, what makes it more marketable or accessible as a therapeutic solution?
“If you're a patient who's working, you don't really want to spend all day in a clinic which might be necessary with a psilocybin experience.”

“I do think because it’s a short, but more intense, psychedelic experience. So, when/if this drug reaches the market, people will be prescribed psychedelic-assisted therapy, and they will go to a clinic to have this treatment, I think that this treatment will always be given in clinic with a therapist present. But, If you're a patient who's working, you don't really want to spend all day in a clinic which might be necessary with a psilocybin experience. LSD has an even longer psychedelic experience, more like 10 hours, so again, there might be a need to spend all day in a clinic.”

“From a clinical flexibility point of view, then DMT should really help. It's akin to other in clinic treatments. A patient would go along to the treatment centre or the health clinic, they would have the preparation session, then the administration of DMT. The psychedelic experience would last 20 to 30 minutes, and then the patient would undergo integration therapy. Altogether, a full treatment session should be somewhere between an hour and a half and two hours and so a lot more clinically flexible.”

“In terms of how it affects the brain, based on data from academic research, the underlying mechanism appears to be very similar for both DMT and psilocybin. So based on that, we think that the greater intensity of DMT, even though the experience is shorter, elicits the same mechanism that you see for psilocybin. And this is one of the reasons that we do think DMT-assisted therapy should have antidepressant activity, at least the same as if not better than psilocybin.”

Focusing in on the psychedelic effects typical to a DMT experience, Dr Routledge commented humorously, “I haven't taken DMT, just so you know, so I can't tell you first hand,” but as Routledge mentioned above, there is a whole host of knowledge and understanding of the effects of a DMT experience.

She continued, “but, people will probably have visual hallucinations, which can be anywhere from just seeing geometric shapes to seeing balloon men or balloon animals and similar beings. So, depending on how sensitive that person is, they often hear auditory hallucinations, and they might lose a sense of time. You don't lose a sense of ‘you’, but you kind of perceive yourself in a slightly different way. And sometimes people will have discussions with themselves.” This is where DMT really lends itself to being paired with the “wraparound” therapy.

“So, they see that other self, and they have discussions back and forth. And this is supposed to be very therapeutically beneficial, because they can talk through a lot of the issues that they have.”

The search for a well-tolerated dose

DMT is one of the more intense psychedelics that we know of, as such we asked Dr Routledge about the challenges this might bring in terms of establishing a dose that would be well-tolerated in participants or patients.

“This is the reason that we conducted the first part of our study (the Phase I component) in psychedelically-naïve healthy subjects, then we will go on to dose participants in the second part of the study with the Phase IIa efficacy component. We wanted to understand how tolerable different doses of DMT are in the psychedelic naïve population,” psychedelic naïve here meaning people who have never taken or experienced psychedelics before, “because we think a lot of patients will be psychedelic naïve. So, we wanted to understand which doses of DMT elicited a breakthrough psychedelic experience in everybody but that were very well tolerated and safe.”

“You would always start at a low dose, in this case, we started at a pharmacological dose. This means we started at a dose that wouldn’t elicit a psychedelic experience, but they may feel different. And then you slowly increase dose levels in different subject groups. So, with your second group of healthy volunteers, and based on the levels of DMT in the bloodstream, you increase to a slightly higher dose. Again, you measure the psychedelic experience, if they have one, and measure safety and tolerability parameters. We also measured electroencerphaloram (EEG) changes to provide further data on the mechanisms of action of DMT.”

“Then, if this dose is safe and well tolerated, then again, you increase the dose a little bit more in group three, and then you increase the dose a little bit more in group four and so on. You don't necessarily want to go as high as you can get to, but you do want to feel that you've tested a reasonably high dose. We can then select the dose that gave everybody a psychedelic experience, but was safe and well tolerated to take to the second part of the study and this is what we were able to do.”​
Reflecting on the fact that all participants had a positive experience, Dr Routledge said, “I don't think I had expected any significant challenges but, I didn’t think all doses would be tolerated so well. But they were, in fact they all were. No one came back saying ‘I wish I hadn’t done it’ or ‘it was awful’. DMT was really safe and well tolerated in this study.”
“It may not sound like a particularly big thing, but the fact that we've been able to select a dose that elicits a psychedelic experience in all subjects and that it's incredibly well tolerated and safe, is great.”

Many of the additional details of this first phase of the trial are still what Dr Routledge called “blinded”, meaning the study’s findings, the data etc is still in need of reviewing and analysing, and so all additional data will come out later, once the Phase I component is “unblinded”.

The horizon for Small Pharma and psychedelic-assisted therapy

Finally, we discussed what might be on the horizon for Small Pharma with this drug, the clinical trials and possible future trials, as well as what Dr Routledge herself sees in the future for psychedelic research and psychedelic assisted therapy.

On Small Pharma’s plans for the future specifically, Dr Routledge said, “Too early to say, yes we do have other interests, but don’t quite know what they are yet. Also, we’ve chemically modified our DMT molecule, to give it a slightly different profile. One of the arguments around DMT is that it might be too short to treat some mental health disorders, in that a patient may not be able to go through their whole journey during the experience. So, we have found a way to potentially extend it. I’m not meaning extending to three hours, but just slightly. In addition, modifying DMT means you have the potential to administrate it via a different route. So, instead of intravenously it could be orally administered or inhaled. So that will be our next ‘watch this space.”

On psychedelic-assisted therapy as a whole, and its potential Dr Routledge had lots to say, “Psychedelic-assisted therapy is a different way of treating people. So, we really have to understand how you take these molecules all the way to the market. How will each step of the process work? It is projected that patients will go to a clinic in order to be treated with this drug, there will be a therapist present during treatment who will provide the therapy."

"I think all of this is achievable. But for us, like a number of other companies, we also need to understand how often patients need to have these treatments. Do we only dose DMT once a year? Do we dose twice a year? So, we need to work out just how long the efficacy lasts, and when one needs to repeat the treatment and therapy.”

“I think if I had to be a betting man, or woman, I think most psychedelics will work across a number of these disorders.”

“So that includes depressive disorders, anxiety disorders, substance abuse, and it might be that different psychedelics work differently across various conditions, so DMT might work better for some, and psilocybin for others.”

“I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry for a long time. I have worked on SSRIs in the past. I do think SSRIs are effective, but clearly in a very different way to psychedelic-assisted therapy. But they are not effective in all patients.”

“Although effective, I don't really think SSRIs get to the root cause. Whereas I do believe that psychedelic assisted therapy potentially could.”

“So, it's not, ‘do I think psychedelic assisted therapy will remove all SSRIs from the market?’ No, I don't. And more importantly, that's not the aim. This just gives patients another choice and let's face it, the unmet need for mental health disorders is huge. There are so many people out there with various depressive disorders that are underserved by current treatments. So hopefully DMT assisted therapy will go a long way to serving some of those people.”

https://www.mentalhealthtoday.co.uk...ials-prove-promising-for-dmt-assisted-therapy

Last edited:
Cybin_Manhattan_Psychedelic_Clinic_Underserved_Minority_Communities_Psychedelic_Spotlight.jpg

Is DMT the best new treatment for depression?
Psychedelic therapy could bring the ancient healing powers of drugs like DMT into mental health clinics.

by Stephen Johnson | Freethink | 10 Jul 2021

Psychedelic therapy is slowly but surely inching its way toward mainstream medicine. Since the U.S. and other nations began easing regulations on psychedelic research in the 2000s, studies have shown that drugs like psilocybin and LSD seem effective at treating conditions like addiction, anxiety, and depression.

Now, a U.K.-based neuropharmaceutical company — Small Pharma — is conducting the world’s first clinical trials exploring whether DMT can treat major depressive disorder. The research could transform how mental health professionals approach therapy, shifting the focus away from SSRIs and toward the healing powers of psychedelic experiences.

“DMT-assisted psychotherapy could actually be one of the best treatments ever,” Dr. Carol Routledge, chief medical and scientific officer at Small Pharma, told Freethink. “I really, really genuinely believe that, and I don’t say that lightly.”

Psychedelic therapy is a pioneering field. But in some ways, the field’s recent findings can be viewed as ancient knowledge rediscovered.

The interesting origins of psychedelic therapy

In South America and Africa, native tribes have ingested psychedelics as part of religious practices for millennia. Research suggests the history of hallucinogen use stretches back to 1,000 B.C., possibly much earlier.

The shamans who administered these substances seemed to be experts in psychedelic botanology, able to identify and combine various barks, vines, and leaves to create powerful hallucinogenic concoctions, like ayahuasca, whose main psychoactive component is DMT.

For the natives who consumed psychedelics, the line between spiritual practice and medicine was blurry. Most seemed to view the plants not merely as drugs but as entities to consult, or portals to another dimension. “They carry you there where God is,” tribespeople in the southern Mexican mountains told the author Robert Gordon Wasson in the 1950s.
“DMT-assisted psychotherapy could actually be one of the best treatments ever.” - Dr. Carol Routledge

The 20th century brought psychedelics into the scientific realm. In the decades after Albert Hofmann first experimented with LSD in 1943, researchers conducted hundreds of studies exploring the therapeutic potential of psychedelics. By the 1960s, it’s estimated that tens of thousands of people took drugs like LSD and psilocybin as part of psychedelic therapy and research.

The experiences reported in the early days of psychedelic research sometimes had the same religious overtones that natives had long described. In one of the first experiments involving DMT in 1958, a 27-year-old female participant reported:

“The whistling has stopped; I have arrived. In front of me are two quiet, sunlit Gods. They gaze at me and nod in a friendly manner. I think they are welcoming me into this new world.”

The results of early psychedelic research were promising. A 2016 meta-analysis of 19 studies that used psychedelics to treat mood disorders between 1949 and 1973 found that 79% of participants showed “clinically judged improvement.”

But amid tectonic shifts in culture and medicine in the mid-20th century, psychedelics began to take on a suspicious New Age veneer in the public consciousness. It didn’t help that the drugs weren’t always researched or consumed responsibly.

By the 1960s, LSD had become popular in the American counterculture movement, thanks in part to figures like the psychologist-turned-guru Timothy Leary who once said, “To learn how to use your head, you have to go out of your mind.”
“To learn how to use your head, you have to go out of your mind.” - Timothy Leary

The media often covered psychedelics from a sensationalistic perspective. This frustrated some psychedelic researchers, partly because people were suddenly hesitant to participate in experiments. In 1968, Charles C. Dahlberg, an American doctor who received a grant from the National Institute of Mental Health to study LSD, wrote:

“Mass communications concerned with the effects of drug use have primarily relied upon emotional rather than rational appeals, and have associated LSD use with mental illness, crime, mass orgies, and the like.”

The U.S. made it illegal to possess LSD in 1968. In 1970, Congress passed the Controlled Substances Act, which classified psychedelics as having “no recognized medicinal value.” The United Nations also passed a treaty banning psychedelics in 1971. Facing tougher restrictions and dwindling funding, global psychedelic research slowed to a crawl.

But in the 2000s, the field revived in part because emerging brain-imaging technologies allowed scientists to study psychedelics from a new angle. In 2014, the editors of Scientific American published the op-ed, End the Ban on Psychoactive Drug Research, which argued that: “new thinking is desperately needed to aid the estimated 14 million American adults who suffer from severe mental illness.”

Today, psychedelics remain controlled substances under federal law. But the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has been approving more psychedelic research in recent years, as privately funded studies steadily show the drugs may treat some mental illnesses more effectively than conventional medicine. In some cases, a single dose of a psychedelic can generate months-long therapeutic benefits.

Compared to LSD, MDMA, and psilocybin, DMT and its potential in psychedelic therapy remain little understood. But early data suggests that the world’s most powerful hallucinogen may also have outsized effects on depression.

Experiencing the fifth dimension

What is DMT? Medically known as N, N-dimethyltryptamine, DMT is a naturally occurring chemical found in many plants and animals. Humans also produce DMT in the brain. Like all tryptamine drugs, DMT acts on the brain’s serotonin receptors, which causes strong emotional and perceptual changes.

Unlike other hallucinogenic drugs though, DMT delivers intense psychedelic experiences within seconds of ingestion and the effects last only a few minutes. People who ingest DMT don’t develop a tolerance, and the drug’s psychological effects don’t diminish with repeated dosing.
In some cases, a single dose of a psychedelic can generate months-long therapeutic benefits.

As far as DMT’s effects — “It’s an experience that exists outside of our everyday perceptual understanding of reality,” Dr. Chloe Sakal, a psychiatrist based in the U.K., said. “It’s like experiencing the fifth dimension, but then only having four dimensions to describe it in.”

In 2019, Dr. Sakal participated as a volunteer in a study that examined DMT’s effects on the brain. She was injected with DMT as researchers recorded her brain activity with EEG and MRI. Seconds later, she was “in a completely different place.”

“I no longer knew I was in an MRI scanner,” she said. “My entire reality was very different — really colorful, really vibrant. And I couldn’t even remember that I was in a study. I was in a different dimension.”

Dr. Sakal was soon surrounded by six or seven sentient beings. She recalls them as beautiful, all-knowing, and humanlike but not quite human. They didn’t speak to her vocally, but she interpreted from these beings a message that everything was okay and that humans need not fear death.
Some trip reports sound like the drugs put people in touch with an inner therapist, tucked away in the psyche.

“It felt like I had been reunited with everything, like I was complete again,” she said. “It felt like time had stopped and I was there for an eternity.” Yet, she had only been in the MRI for 10 minutes.

Weeks later, Dr. Sakal was injected for a second time with DMT in another part of the study. Again, she found herself in the presence of sentient beings, but this time they communicated “a suggestion that I could potentially control my reality better by deliberately choosing what to focus on in life."

DMT-assisted therapy

Small Pharma’s clinical trials aim to find out whether experiences like these can treat depression. The first phase, which began in February, aims to explore the effects of DMT-assisted therapy on healthy volunteers who have never consumed psychedelics. The second phase will do the same, but with patients suffering from major depressive disorder.

The DMT therapy process will be more comfortable than Dr. Sakal’s experience in the MRI. It starts with patients undergoing multiple preparation sessions with a therapist, where they discuss the goals of the treatment. Patients then receive an intravenous dose of DMT while lying on a bed and listening to preselected music with two therapists nearby. The sessions last about an hour.

“Following the DMT dosing session, patients are encouraged to discuss their experiences with the therapist,” Small Pharma’s website says. “These sessions encourage patients to integrate insights from the session with an intention to guide breaking away from challenging emotional and behavioural patterns.”
DMT delivers intense psychedelic experiences within seconds of ingestion and the effects last only a few minutes.

DMT could be a powerful treatment for depression because although conventional treatments help stabilize mood, they don’t fix the underlying psychological issues that can contribute to depression. SSRIs also fail to help roughly one-third of the patients who take them. Psychedelics are fundamentally different. Their healing powers seem to lie not only in chemistry, but also in their ability to generate profound experiences that can have long-lasting psychological benefits.

Take Dr. Sakal’s experiences. She walked away from the DMT trials with two key messages: we shouldn’t fear death, and we can control how we choose to perceive our lives. Psychedelics seem to help people shift their perspectives; some trip reports sound like the drugs put people in touch with an inner therapist, tucked away in the psyche.
“It’s like experiencing the fifth dimension, but then only having four dimensions to describe it in.” - Dr. Chloe Sakal

“Often in mental illness, people get very stuck in rigid thought. They get stuck with a very negative perception of the world and they ruminate about very difficult persecutory things,” Dr. Sakal said. “But when you take psychedelics, it takes you out of that and it offers you a new way of looking at the world.”

But the benefits of DMT aren’t only experiential. The 2019 brain imaging study that Dr. Sakal participated in was led by Dr. Chris Timmermann, a neuropharmacologist and leading DMT researcher who’s collaborating with Small Pharma in the ongoing clinical trials. His work shows that the brain-wave patterns that emerge during DMT trips resemble those of the dreaming state, and that the drug seems to give rise to radically new kinds of connectivity in the brain.

“The brain becomes diverse, and it becomes diverse and unique in a novel way, in a creative way,” he told Freethink. That’s one of the reasons why Dr. Routledge thinks DMT may effectively “reset” the depressed brain.

“What psychedelics do is that they break that (negative thought-pattern) pathway. They break those neuronal connections, and then they increase neuronal connectivity and synaptic connectivity,” she told Freethink.
Conventional treatments help stabilize mood, but they don’t fix the underlying psychological issues that can contribute to depression.

While other psychedelics have similar effects, DMT seems uniquely suited for psychedelic-assisted therapy for three main reasons. For one, its effects only last about five to 20 minutes, unlike other psychedelics that can last more than eight hours. The benefits of DMT also don’t diminish with repeated dosing. And because DMT is naturally produced in our brains, scientists have a relatively high degree of confidence that it’s safe to consume under the right circumstances.

Still, more research needs to be conducted on DMT’s use in psychedelic therapy if it’s ever going to become a viable treatment for depression. Small Pharma’s clinical trials could pave the way. DMT-assisted therapy could treat depression through a radically new approach, one that brings the ancient healing powers of the world’s most powerful psychedelic into the clinic.

Last edited:
4pn9d.jpg

Practicing death with 5-MeO-DMT

Marti was a bright, optimistic, attractive 40-year-old woman when she first entered a support group for cancer patients that I facilitated at the Center for Attitudinal Healing in Tiburon, California. It wasn't until a few years later that her illness wrought its devastation on her body and her spirit. During that time we had become friends, and she became interested in my shamanic work outside the center.

When her death was imminent, she became quite frightened and anxious. I shared with her my experiences with 5-MeO-DMT, with which I had been working for a number of years, and which might be helpful to her in dealing with her concerns and the challenges to come.

I told Marti it was a "spiritual medicine" from the Amazon, used by indigenous peoples there to contact the spirit world. Indigenous cultures typically use 5-MeO-DMT as a snuff, although on some occasions they use it as an admixture to ayahuasca. Rather than making a snuff, contemporary users prefer to vaporize extracts of 5-MeO from plants and inhale the smoke.

She became especially interested in it when I mentioned that I called it 'death practice medicine' because it helped people work with the letting-go process, something she would face in the all-too-near future, and opened them up to the reality underlying the physical world, where as William Blake put it, "energy is total delight."

My first practice

The first time I took 5-MeO-DMT, I was with Terence McKenna in his home in Occidental with two other friends in 1985. I went first; I inhaled the smoke. When the medicine came on, time, space, and ordinary consciousness were totally obliterated.

At warp speed I shot down a hyperspace energy tunnel in full panic that this time I had gone too far, I was dying and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I knew I would never see my family again, never enjoy a sunrise, and never again walk in the mountains or forests that always filled me with joy. I tried to stretch my arms and legs out to the sides of the tunnel to slow down, but alas, I had no arms or legs. I had no body, just energy of what previously had been me, zooming toward infinity.

Realizing there was nothing I could do, I surrendered to my fate with the thought, I can't stop this, so I might as well be totally present and get as much from it as I can, right up until the moment when I die. At that precise instant, I went into a state of total bliss.

A gentle explosion of white-gold light evaporated all notions of past, present, future, shape, form, identity, and space. There was only infinite, pulsating "all-ness" of ecstatic energy - a cosmic organism of joy that just kept exploding into a sea of infinite emptiness, devoid of materiality but filled with love. This was the cosmic conscious state referred to by the mystics of all religions around the world as god/goddess/holy spirit/the mysterium tremendum.

After 10 immeasurable minutes, parts of my psyche that had been blasted into the far reaches of the cosmos gradually began floating back into awareness. I could see sections of my ego identity slowly appear from the vast distances of far-off space, heading toward what was my body, lying there on the rug, beginning to recompose itself. After another 10 minutes I was back to baseline here but with a new relationship to death, to dying, to letting go.

The peace-filled channel

I have been working with physical death in one way or another since my rude introduction into the teaching of impermanence, just months before my fourth birthday, when my father died. As an adult I received a Ph.D. in psychology and went on to help start the second hospice program in the United States. Then I helped start the Center for Attitudinal Healing, where I worked with children and adults with cancer for 32 years.

Over this time I sat bedside with numerous children and adults, witnessing their final moments. All too often I saw that anxiety and fear, along with a resistance to let go, created intense struggle for the departing person and increased anguish for attending family and friends. My job in being there, enlightened by my death-practice work with the energy medicine, was to serve as a labor coach, helping the natural letting-go process to happen as smoothly as possible, thereby birthing the person "back home" into the infinite cosmos from whence he came, an existence of pure consciousness, pure light, pure love.

My 5-MeO-DMT journey experience with letting go and entering cosmic bliss allowed me to remain peaceful no matter what was happening, as I knew that the key was surrendering into the underlying reality of oneness with all. Thus, I was able to be a peace-filled channel for the love and light that awaited each dying person when he finally did release. This function seemed to help the dying person, as well as others in the room, to feel more trustful of what was taking place and release into it with more peace and ease.

My experiences with other psychedelics (including peyote, psilocybin, and ayahuasca) and other life-threatened individuals over the years, and working with indigenous healers in Mexico and the Amazon, has repeatedly evidenced how the letting-go process with mind-altering substances, when used responsibly in supportive settings with experienced guides, allows the journeyer to exercise what I call the "surrender muscles." It creates an opportunity to do vital preparation work for the ultimate letting-go journey when physically dying by strengthening the letting-go process.

The dynamics of letting go

A key dynamic for a fruitful and transformational psychedelic journey is releasing control and surrendering into mystery, and allowing the experience to unfold. In doing so, journeyers learn about the cartography of altered space; they learn about levels of consciousness and being beyond the physical self and the identity of ego. They experience an aspect of their being that is transcendent of whom and what they thought they were; they learn of the cosmic self. This experience not only brings more comfort and ease with the altered states that frequently accompany physical death, along with an ability to navigate within them, but it also provides a sense of inner peace and serenity.

The practice builds confidence that whatever is dying is okay, for they are about to enter a state of blissful oneness with all that has been, is now, and will forever be. Thus, they feel comforted that they will not be separated from the loved ones they seemingly are leaving behind. The practice suggests that the love they share does not die with their physical bodies, for they experience themselves as more than the physical containers that house their life spirit for the time of their life walk upon Mother Earth.

Marti, the cancer patient mentioned earlier, was eager to try the energy medicine after we talked about the experience and how it might prove helpful in defusing her fear and anxiety about death. We set up a time and safe setting, she arranged for a mutual friend to be there as an additional support person, and we went forward with our plan.

On the day of the journey, we met in her home. I first set the stage for sacred space by placing her spiritual objects and pictures in a circle around her. I then invited her to speak her intentions for the journey and her gratitude, after which I said a prayer that used her spiritual notions of deity. Marti inhaled the smoke, held it for the required 45 seconds, and then collapsed backwards onto the pillows laid out for her journey. Her eyes rolled backward in her head; her body shook uncontrollably. Then she was totally still.

"Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Oh, my God,"
she mumbled. "Oh, my God. I can't believe it. I can't believe it." A gloriously serene smile appeared on her face, now softened in a way I had never seen before. Marti lay peacefully on her back for another 20 minutes before she opened her eyes. Blinking, she looked at her friend and me, at the room, then back to me.

"I saw God," she said. "I really did. I saw God. It was unbelievable, but it happened. Death is okay now. I know I will be okay, that I will be with God, with everyone. It's all love; it's all light. We are all together! Thank you, Tom. Thank you so much. I can't believe this medicine. What a gift. You have to share it with others!"

The future of the practice

Marti died peacefully one week after her journey. I have seen similar results with scores of others, helping them ease their fear of death and dying and what happens after death. I can't help but believe how helpful this work could be with others who seek to exercise their surrender muscles in preparation for their physical death and/or for spiritually enhanced living.

The indigenous peoples with whom I have studied consider these agents as having a guiding and healing spirit, as being alive, a wisdom elder, a sacred sacramental gift from the spirit world. They must be approached only with the utmost respect, reverence, and humility. It is easy for our materially based, sensation-seeking culture to abuse these substances, and when that occurs, great harm can result. These substances are not for everyone. Most certainly they are contraindicated for people with high blood pressure, heart problems, seizure history, or those on any kind of psychoactive medications, as well as those suffering from any kind of mental illness. A trained guide who knows the territory also is necessary, along with a safe and secure setting, and creating sacred space in alignment with the journeyer's belief system and intentions.

It is my hope that federal regulations will allow these substances to be used responsibly by qualified practitioners, who can conduct research to validate the potential of these substances to create a sustainable world; one that is peaceful, loving, and just and that is built on the recognition brought forth by the journeys, that all of creation is interwoven in an invisible web of love that is truly the essence of our being.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/defau...=posts&t=75716

Last edited:
First-ever-study-launched-to-explore-benefits-of-microdosing-LSD-730x410.jpg

DMT found in the normal brain

Medical Xpress | 27 June 2019

Drinkers of Ayahuasca experience short-term psychedelic episodes many describe as life-changing.

The active ingredient responsible for these psychedelic visions is a molecule called dimethyltryptamine (DMT). For the first time, a team led by Michigan Medicine has discovered the widespread presence of naturally-occurring DMT in the mammalian brain. The finding is the first step toward studying DMT— and figuring out its role—within the brains of humans.

"DMT is not just in plants, but also can be detected in mammals," says Jimo Borjigin, Ph.D., of the Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology. Her interest in DMT came about accidentally. Before studying the psychedelic, her research focused on melatonin production in the pineal gland.

In the seventeenth century, the philosopher Rene Descartes claimed that the pineal gland, a small pinecone-shaped organ located deep in the center of the brain, was the seat of the soul. Since its discovery, the pineal gland, known by some as the third eye, has been shrouded in mystery. Scientists now know it controls the production of melatonin, playing an important role in modulating circadian rhythms, or the body's internal clock. However, an online search for notes to include in a course she was teaching opened Borjigin's eyes to a thriving community still convinced of the pineal gland's mystical power.

The core idea seems to come from a documentary featuring the work of researcher Rick Strassman, Ph.D. with the University of New Mexico School of Medicine. In the mid-1990s, he conducted an experiment in which human subjects were given DMT by IV injection and interviewed after its effects wore off. In a documentary about the experiment, Strassman claims that he believed the pineal gland makes and secretes DMT.

I said to myself, 'wait, I've worked on the pineal gland for years and have never heard of this,'" she said. She contacted Strassman, requesting the source of his statement. When Strassman admitted that it was just a hypothesis, Borjigin suggested they work together to test it. "I thought if DMT is an endogenous monoamine, it should be very easy to detect using a fluorescence detector."

Using a process in which microdialysis tubing is inserted into a rat brain through the pineal gland, the researchers collected a sample that was analyzed for—and confirmed—the presence of DMT. That experiment resulted in a paper published in 2013.

However, Borjigin was not satisfied. Next, she sought to discover how and where DMT was synthesized. Her graduate student, Jon Dean, lead author of the paper, set up an experiment using a process called in situ hybridization, which uses a labeled complementary strand of DNA to localize a specific RNA sequence in a tissue section.

"With this technique, we found brain neurons with the two enzymes required to make DMT," says Borjigin. "And they were not just in the pineal gland."

"They are also found in other parts of the brain, including the neocortex and hippocampus that are important for higher-order brain functions including learning and memory."

The results are published in the journal Scientific Reports.

Her team's work has also revealed that the levels of DMT increase in some rats experiencing cardiac arrest. A paper published in 2018 by researchers in the U.K. purported that DMT simulates the near death experience, wherein people report the sensation of transcending their bodies and entering another realm. Borjigin hopes to probe further to discover the function of naturally occurring levels of DMT in the brain—and what if any role it plays in normal brain functions.

"We don't know what it's doing in the brain. All we're saying is we discovered the neurons that make this chemical in the brain, and they do so at levels similar to other monoamine neurotransmitters."

Last edited:
800px-Shulgin_sasha_2011_hanna_jon.jpg

DMT: Biochemical swiss army knife of Neuroinflammation and Neuroprotection?

Attila Szabo, Ede Frecska

The inflammatory theory of many neuropsychiatric illnesses has become an emerging trend in modern medicine. Various immune mechanisms – mainly via the activity of microglia – may contribute to the etiology and symptomatology of diseases, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, or Alzheimer's disease. Unwanted and excess inflammation is most typically the result of dysregulated innate immune responses. Recognition of self-derived damage-associated molecular patterns (DAMPs) or pathogen-associated molecular pattern molecules (PAMPs) is usually leading to the activation of tissue resident immune cells including macrophages (microglia) and dendritic cells. They act as ‘gatekeepers’ continuously monitoring the tissue microenvironment for potential ‘danger signals’ by means of their pattern recognition receptors, such as Toll-like receptors or RIG-I-like receptors.

Once a DAMP or PAMP has been recognized by a pattern recognition receptor various downstream signaling pathways are initiated, which eventually leads to the secretion of inflammatory cytokines and many other soluble factors important in the elimination of invading microbes. Pattern recognition receptors couple to nuclear factor kappaB (NF-kB), the master transcription regulator of inflammatory cytokines and chemokines. Macrophages and dendritic cells are also capable of antigen-presentation so they can initiate adaptive immune responses by priming naive T-cells. During inflammation of the central nervous system, polarization towards the T helper 1 and 17 subsets is especially important as these T cells play a major role in the development of chronic inflammation and brain tissue damage in infectious diseases and autoimmunity.

It has been known for decades that immunomodulation through serotonin/5-hydroxytryptamine receptors (5-HTRs) has the potential to regulate inflammation and prevent damage of the nervous tissue. Recently another receptor has been added to the greater picture: the orphan receptor sigma-1 (Sig-1R). 5-HTRs and Sig-1R have been shown to be expressed ubiquitously in higher vertebrate tissues and mediate various processes, including the regulation of cognition and behavior, body temperature, as well as immune functions. Both 5-HTRs and the Sig-1R use G protein-coupled (GPCR) pathways thereby modulating a plethora of cellular functions, such as cytokine/neurotransmitter release, proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis.

The molecular chaperone Sig-1R is located at the endoplasmic reticulum-mitochondrion interface and has an important role in the fine-tuning of cellular metabolism and energetics under stressful conditions. At the MAM, Sig-1Rs are involved in the regulation and mobilization of calcium from endoplasmic reticulum stores. Neuroprotection by Sig-1R activation can be attained by preventing elevations of intracellular calcium-mediated cell death signaling. Based on its central localization and function, pivotal physiological activities of the Sig-1R have been described such as indispensable role in neuronal differentiation, neuronal signaling, cellular survival in hypoxia, resistance against oxidative stress, and mitigating unfolded protein response.

Tryptaminergic trace amines (e.g. DMT) as well as neurosteroids are endogenous ligands of the Sig-1R. Tryptamines are naturally occurring monoamine alkaloids sharing a common biochemical – tryptamine – backbone. DMT was shown to be endogenously present in the human brain and in other tissues of the body, however the exact physiological role of this tryptamine has not been identified yet. It has been shown that, besides its affinity for the Sig-1R, DMT also acts as an agonist at numerous serotonin receptors, such as 5-HT1A, 5-HT2A, and 5-HT2C. This wide-spectrum agonist activity may allow DMT to modulate several physiological processes and regulate inflammation through the Sig-1R and 5-HTRs.

Indeed, DMT has been found to modulate immune responses through the Sig-1R under various conditions. These include the suppression of inflammation by blocking inflammatory cytokine and chemokine release of dendritic cells, as well as inhibiting the activation of Th1 and Th17 subsets. The biochemical background of this extensive ability lies in the possible cross-talk of the GPCR-coupled downstream signaling of 5-HTRs/Sig-1R and other inflammatory pathways in immune cells, as well as the fine-tuning of cytokine feedback loops in peripheral tissues. Thus, in neuroinflammation, two major scenarios are possible:

i) The modulation of cytokine production by brain resident microglia that implies a negative feedback regulation of inflammation via the induction of the release of anti-inflammatory IL-10 and TGFB occurring subsequent of both 5-HTR and Sig-1R activation;

ii) The direct/indirect control of NF-kB signaling and possibly other pathways involved in inflammation through intracellular kinases, adaptor proteins, etc. This way, the activation of 5-HTRs and Sig-1R may also interfere with the chemokine, inflammatory cytokine signaling of immune cells through intracellular mechanisms.

Most of the receptors that are involved in psychedelic effects belong to the GPCR family or interact with GPCRs. The role of 5-HTR/Sig-1R GPCR-coupled signals in the intracellular regulation and orchestration of NF-kB and MAPK pathways may be of particular importance regarding the complex neuroimmunological effects of DMT.

The above outlined picture suggests a direct control of NF-kB transcriptional regulation of chemokines, pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines, which may render DMT as a potentially useful therapeutic tool in a broad range of chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, and pathological conditions connected to increased unfolded protein responseincluding but not restricted torheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, etc. However, the powerful sychedelic property of DMT poses an important problem that must be addressed in future drug design.

Protective and neuroregenerative effects of Sig-1R agonists have been reported in several in vitro and in vivo studies. The selective Sig-1R agonists 2-1 phenylcyclohexanecarboxylate and cutamesine have been shown to strongly promote neuroprotective mechanisms and significantly increase neuronal cell survival and regeneration under various conditions, such as traumas, autoimmunity, and neurodegenerative disorders. Specific Sig-1R stimulation has also been found to greatly increase the levels of the glial cell-derived neurotrophic factor GDNF that promotes neuronal cell survival and differentiation.

The neuroregenerative potential of DMT through the Sig-1R has been suggested earlier as multiple biochemical and physiological mechanisms exist, which facilitate the transportation and binding of DMT to the Sig-1R in the mammalian brain. Thus DMT, as a natural, endogenous agonist at both the Sig-1R and 5-HTRs, is hypothesized to be an unique, many-faced pharmacological entity, which has many important roles in the immunoregulatory processes of peripheral and brain tissues, as well as involved in the promotion and induction of neuroregeneration in the mammalian nervous system.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4828992/

Last edited:
DMT-1.jpg

DMT: The Biosynthesis Debate

by Shane O'Connor | Psychedelic Science Review | 11 Sep 2019

DMT is a psychedelic compound that belongs to the serotonergic class of psychedelics, including psilocybin and LSD. DMT, akin to all other serotonergic psychedelics, reliably evokes a multitude of subjective effects on brain functions such as cognition, perception and emotions.

In the last couple of decades, there has been much debate within the scientific community over whether the mammalian brain produces DMT endogenously. And if so, is the compound produced in sufficient quantities to initiate the remarkable psychoactive effects observed when administered exogenously? A debate has also ensued concerning the role of the pineal gland – a tiny neuroendocrine organ in the brain whose primary function is nighttime secretion of melatonin – in the synthesis of DMT. This article will give a brief overview of the history and current findings of DMT biosynthesis and will also aim to contextualize these findings.

Biosynthesis of DMT is dependent on the action of two enzymes, AADC) and INMT. First, the dietary amino acid tryptophan is converted to tryptamine via the action of AADC. Tryptamine then undergoes N, N-dimethylation. Following this, the synthesis of DMT from tryptamine requires double methylation reactions catalyzed by INMT.

A recent study that has garnered much media attention around the world demonstrated, for the first time, the co-expression of both IMNT and AADC in the cerebral cortex of the mammalian (rat) brain. This finding is crucial as it provides a credible process for endogenous synthesis of DMT in the mammalian neocortex. In fact, the research group detected DMT at slightly lower.

The study also shed light on the involvement of the pineal gland in the biosynthesis of DMT. The study did this by demonstrating similar levels of extracellular DMT in animals with or without the gland. These results suggest that biosynthesis of DMT is not dependant on the pineal gland.

Critics of Strassman have challenged the hypothesis that the pineal gland can produce enough DMT to induce an out of body experience. It would need to produce about 25 mg of DMT very rapidly (over the course of no more than a minute or two). The daily secretion of melatonin from the pineal gland is roughly 30 µg, about 0.001 of the weight of DMT needed to induce such “mystical” states. Taken together, the findings mentioned above suggest that the pineal gland lacks the ability to produce DMT at levels originally proposed by Strassman.

Frequently in science, experiments that produce robust results don’t resolve a debate but instead lead to more questions. Strassman’s claim that the mammalian brain has the capacity to endogenously synthesize DMT seem to have been substantiated. However, the same experiment appears to refute his claim that the pineal gland is the brain structure responsible for DMT synthesis. If anything, this experiment represents a stepping to stone, which will enable the scientific community to further our understanding of the complex pharmacodynamics of DMT. It is refreshing that in today’s scientific climate, the stigma of psychedelic research is slowly lifting, allowing for an evidence-based inquiry into such topics.

Last edited:
Backchannel-Alex-Aliume-0656.jpg

DMT and its Potential Psychiatric Promise

by Samoon Ahmad | Technology Networks | 12 Jul 2021

Psychedelics’ potential is rivaled only by their power. They are extremely potent substances that have been used in various cultures dating back thousands of years, largely for ritualistic and spiritual purposes. In addition, they have traditionally been called upon to offer those who wish to gain insight into realms believed to be inaccessible to the conscious mind.

This is more or less the same reason why interest in psychedelics has skyrocketed among clinicians, researchers, and the general public. For clinicians, these drugs are being touted as potential groundbreaking treatment options for a host of psychiatric and inflammatory conditions as they can potentially treat symptoms that are extremely difficult to manage with conventional medicines. For researchers, studying psychedelics can help them understand how these substances can eliminate the interference of ego structures and conscious experiences in their subjects to unveil the most fundamental dynamics of the mind, thereby offering new insights into our understanding of neuroscience, consciousness, and how the two intersect. For the general public, they offer relief from symptoms of hobbling psychiatric conditions, fuel for philosophical musings, and the opportunity to take part in deeply meaningful experiences. As has been frequently reported in research dating back to at least 2006, psychedelic sessions are frequently ranked among the top five most meaningful experiences in individuals’ lives even more than a year later.

Psychiatrists are very excited about the potential of psychedelics, particularly with respect to drugs like psilocybin, LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide), and MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine). Despite the excitement about adding these substances to psychiatrists’ toolkits, one of the most potent psychedelic compounds available, DMT (N,N-dimethyltryptamine), has received very little attention from clinicians until recently.

While there is no question that DMT holds enormous potential, as clinicians we must first understand how to harness it.

What is DMT?

DMT is a classic psychedelic that can induce profound changes in sensory perception (hallucinations), feelings of euphoria, and radical alterations in typical thought patterns. On the neurochemical level, DMT behaves similar to other psychedelics (e.g., LSD, psilocybin, mescalin) by not only binding to serotonin 2A (5-HT2A) receptors in the central nervous system, but also interacting with other serotonergic (5-HT1A, 5-HT2C, and 5-HT7) and glutaminergic receptors, sigma-1 receptors, and trace-amine associated receptors. DMT also interacts with acetylcholine and dopamine signaling. Interestingly, DMT exists naturally in the brains of mammals, including humans, though the reason is unclear. Some have speculated that it may play a role in altering consciousness to allow for dream states, spiritual or mystical experiences, or even passage from life onto death. Currently, there is no evidence to support these claims, and it is not even clear if DMT exists in concentrations high enough to produce measurable effect.

DMT is the main ingredient in medicines that have traditionally been prepared and consumed as teas by indigenous peoples from throughout South America well before any European contact. The most well-known example is ayahuasca. In conjunction with DMT (from Psychotria viridis), ingredients in these teas include naturally occurring monoamine oxidase inhibitors, which delay onset and extend the duration of DMT’s effects for several hours. If one takes synthetic DMT, which is often inhaled using a vape pen, the effects may take a few minutes to manifest and may peak within five to ten minutes before beginning to wear off. The entire experience may only last 30 minutes or so.

What are the effects of DMT?

One of the most promising areas of research for psychedelics in recent years has been its potential role in mitigating anxiety and depression among terminal cancer patients suffering with existential crisis. Unfortunately, there are few pharmacotherapies or interventions in the field of psychiatry that can be used to help patients as they struggle to come to terms with their own mortality. “The ego, faced with the prospect of its own extinction, turns inward and becomes hypervigilant, withdrawing its investment in the world and other people,” Michael Pollan wrote in his paean to psychedelics, How to Change Your Mind. Psychedelics offer the opportunity to suspend the ego temporarily, which can be experienced initially as terrifying, but it is followed by a gradual sense of surrender, acceptance, love, and a greater sense of unity with the universe as the ego dissolves and one experiences simulated death and rebirth. Psychedelics are not treating end-of-life anxiety and depression pharmacologically; rather, they are treating these conditions phenomenologically (i.e., through the subjective experience it induces).

Though DMT acts upon the same serotonin receptors as other classical psychedelics, the DMT experience is unique. With smoked DMT, the ego is not just dissolved in a transcendent experience; it is obliterated.

According to DMT users, the visible world is often replaced by extremely vivid kaleidoscopic patterns of color. Furthermore, users report being transported to what they describe as another plane of reality with the presence of godlike creatures, and many of those who have taken DMT have reportedly interacted with these creatures. An online survey conducted by researchers at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine involving 2,561 individuals (median age 32 years; 77% male) who reportedly had encounters with these ostensibly autonomous beings found that half of participants who considered themselves atheists before the experience no longer did afterwards, and more than half of total participants believed that these beings are conscious, intelligent, benevolent and continued to exist after the encounter in a real but different reality.

Characterized by Davis as an “ontological shock,” over half of the participants claimed that the DMT experience was one of the most spiritually significant and meaningful moments in their lives. Many respondents also reported profound changes in outlook and positive changes in life satisfaction and subjective well-being.
Potential Directions for DMT Research

Clinical trials of DMT are only now beginning, so it will likely be years before we even start to glean its full potential. However, years of research has shown us that the beneficial psychological effects of psychedelics appear to be tied to their long-term subjective effects and how they change patient perspective. The important question to ask is that if DMT imparts its effect through ego annihilation, wouldn’t it make sense that it could be even more effective than other psychedelics?

Theoretically, yes.

Like other psychedelics, it may prove capable of easing existential distress among terminally ill patients and promoting subjective well-being. It may even help individuals with substance use disorders overcome their dependence. A pharmaceutical company based in the United Kingdom, in conjunction with Imperial College London’s Centre for Psychedelic Research, initiated a phase I trial earlier this year to see if DMT could be used to treat major depressive disorder.

However, there are potential roadblocks to DMT’s use in a clinical setting, too—at least in its smoked or vaped form. As Stephen Ross, one of my colleagues at New York University who has studied psychedelics extensively, observed during a conversation we had about frontiers of psychedelic research, psychedelics are only part of the equation in a larger model of medication-assisted psychotherapy. Patients should not simply be given these extremely potent drugs, and then left on their own to process the experience. They need guidance from people who have the tools and training to place it into a larger narrative.

To properly provide care, staff members need to be trained to be effective guides to patients who are experiencing the acute effects of the drugs and to help them contextualize and absorb the experience. Furthermore, patients need to be psychologically prepared for the experience and will likely require several sessions before and after the experience to effectively process it. Given the enormous difference between the acute effects of DMT and LSD or psilocybin, it stands to reason that protocols and models that provide the best therapeutic experience are not even remotely interchangeable.

To fully harness the therapeutic power of DMT, as well as psychedelics in general, research will need to focus not only on the potential conditions it can help treat or the neurophysiological effects of the drug, but how the drug is administered and how patients are guided through the experience. We will need to embrace the role of navigator, rather than simply impartial facilitator of awareness, growth, and psychological development of our patients.

About the author:
Samoon Ahmad, M.D., is Professor of Psychiatry at NYU Grossman School of Medicine.

*From the article (including references) here :

Last edited:

DMT for Depression

by Scotty Hendricks | BIG THINK

As psychedelic research returns to the mainstream of medical science, several lesser known drugs are being seen as possible therapies for mental illness. One of these is DMT, which is the subject of a slew of new studies about its potential use in treating depression.

DMT is the common term for N,N–dimethyltryptamine, a powerful psychedelic drug. Its chemical structure is similar to that of serotonin and melatonin, and it is believed to bind to certain serotonin receptors in the brain.

Since the 1960s, scientists have thought that some mammals may produce DMT in their bodies. Its presence in the brains of rodents has been reported, and trace amounts have been found in the human body and cerebrospinal fluid. Exactly what naturally occurring DMT is doing remains a subject of investigation.

Because DMT is also found in a variety of plants, teas containing the drug have been consumed by many native peoples of South America for at least 1000 years, often for religious purposes. It only received serious scientific attention as a therapeutic drug beginning in the 1950s.

Dr. Stephen Szára, a Hungarian psychologist working in the mid-20th century, was denied access to LSD by the Western companies that then produced it. At the time, LSD was considered a powerful tool with applications in spycraft, so neither communist countries nor their biomedical scientists were allowed access to it. Unable to work with that psychedelic, he turned to DMT as an alternative.

Eventually moving to the U.S., he continued to work with DMT and explored its possible applications as well as those of other psychedelics.

What does DMT do?

Unlike the more famous LSD or psilocybin, DMT trips are often quite short, sometimes lasting as little as five minutes. The short duration is more than made up in its intensity, however, with users reporting extremely vivid hallucinations. Typical doses lead to visions of complex, multicolored geometric patterns, ego death, and altered thought patterns.

DMT has another unique feature: high doses of it can lead to an occurrence called a “breakthrough,” at which point the user no longer perceives themself as being in the same plane of existence. The new location can be truly phantasmagoric, ranging from hyperspace to non-Euclidean realms. These strange places are often populated by even stranger creatures known as “machine elves.”

The machine elves, named by the ethnobotanist Terence McKenna who popularized DMT in certain circles, have been reported by users since Dr. Szára’s experiments. Reports of the elves can vary dramatically, especially in appearance, but users tend to agree that the hallucinated creatures are intelligent and benevolent. The frequency with which these beings are reported may explain the use of DMT as a religious tool for contacting the spirit world. Though some users have speculated if these beings are real, author and psychedelic authority James Kent stresses that they are hallucinations.

What is Ayahuasca?

Typically, DMT cannot be consumed orally. It must be smoked or, as is common in medical studies, injected. If it is combined with a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, it can be consumed in tea. Variations of this tea, some including different hallucinogenic substances, are often known as ayahuasca from one of the names given it by indigenous South Americans.

While the production and consumption of ayahuasca go back millennia, it has only recently become popular with Western psychonauts. An entire industry of ayahuasca tourism has formed in South America, focused around northeastern Peru, with more than a few psychedelic tourists and celebrities shelling out for a chance to drink the tea in a ritual setting.

By all accounts, a trip on ayahuasca is similar to a DMT trip but with a much longer duration. It also prominently features the purging of the contents of the participants’ stomach and bowels. Some practitioners consider this part of the purification process. However, tourists looking for an “authentic” experience may be getting high on hype.

Can DMT be used as medicine?

Current studies focus on how the drug works in the brain and how it might be used to treat mental illness. As Dr. Carol Routledge of Small Pharma explained to Freethink, the extreme effects of this drug might be exactly what some patients need, especially when more common drugs like SSRIs have failed:

“A lot of the mental health disorders like depression, like post-traumatic stress disorder, even OCD, have this real negative cycling thought process which leads to ingrained neuronal processes. And it’s almost impossible to get out of those, and I think that’s why SSRIs don’t really even attempt to do that. What psychedelics do is they break that pathway, they break those neuronal connections, and then they increase neuronal connectivity and synaptic connectivity.”

Early reports from Small Pharma suggest that DMT, in conjunction with therapy, can be used to help break away from undesired behavioral patterns. Other studies also suggest that it could prove useful in helping with depression and anxiety. Dr. Routledge suggests that the stimulated connectivity among neurons allows the brain to “reset.” As a result, these conditions can be more effectively treated. There is also discussion about how the mystical experiences triggered by the drug might help those with mental health problems to examine the root causes.

*From the article here :

Last edited:
There JUST ISN'T ENOUGH info. about DMT.

Thank you so much Mr. even though sometimes we are not worthy enough. <3

NearDeathExperiencesAndDMT.jpg

Study investigates near-death experiences and DMT*

by David Wilder | Aug 30, 2018

A new study published earlier this month in Frontiers of Psychology explored the similarities and differences between the strange phenomenon of near-death experiences and the psychedelic state induced by the consumption of DMT, finding that there is a significant overlap of subjective effects between the two experiences.

While there is no universally accepted definition of near-death experiences, people who have had them describe experiencing feelings of inner peace, traveling through a dark region or “void” (which is often associated with a tunnel), and visions of a bright light.

DMT users commonly report the perception of a high-pitched whining or whirring sound during the onset of the experience, and reflecting on end-of-life topics including death, dying, and the afterlife. The DMT-containing Amazonian brew known as ayahuasca (which translates to “vine of the dead” or “vine of the soul”), along with psychedelics in general, has also been linked to themes of death and dying.

Both near-death experiences and DMT trips have been described as being “realer than real” and are sensitive to contextual factors like existing psychological traits and mental states (set), and the environment in which the experience occurs (setting).

Near-death experiences have been associated with long-term positive changes in mental health, greater concern for others, decreased fear and anxiety surrounding the prospect of dying, heightened appreciation for nature, reduced interest in social status and possessions, and increased self-worth.

Similarly, DMT users have reported reduced death anxiety, pro-ecological behavior and a connection with nature, and the treatment of psychological issues such as depression and substance abuse disorder. In fact, data gathered in the study led researchers to posit that the overlap between near-death experiences and the DMT state may extend past the acute experience itself into the area of long-term psychological changes.

While the subjective effects of DMT have been researched in the past, the researchers believe that this study was the first to formally explore the relationship between near-death experiences and the DMT state.

The results

The study’s results show that qualities associated with near-death experiences were significantly likely to occur following the administration of DMT. In fact, all 13 participants scored above the standard threshold for a near-death experience after being dosed with DMT.

A few subtle differences were identified between the characterizations of DMT trips and near-death experiences. For example, the psychedelic experience is known for engendering the experience of entering an unearthly realm more so than actual near-death experiences, while nudging up against the feeling of a “point of no return” happened more often in actual near-death experiences than with DMT.

But the researchers believe that there may be a reasonable explanation for these differences. It all comes down to the fact that this study, which took place in a safe laboratory setting, involved prior screening, psychological preparation, and consent, compared to a spontaneously-occurring near-death experience catalyzed by sickness or an unforeseen accident. After all, it must be far different to prepare for a psychedelic experience than it is to randomly undergo a near-death experience.

Conclusion

Overall, the findings exposed a strong overlap between features of near-death experiences and the DMT state. Both phenomena have evoked out-of-body experiences, entering into unearthly realms, perceiving and communicating with sentient beings, and the general themes of death and dying. That is not to say that if you smoke DMT you are guaranteed to have an experience of dying (sometimes referred to as an “ego death”) or that you will end up reflecting about death. However, these things are certainly possible and something that should be considered before trying DMT or any other psychedelic substance.

The researchers note that the differences between the two experiences might come down to contextual differences rather than anything inherent to the specific inducers themselves. In fact, the study suggests that certain factors—such as delusional thinking and personality trait absorption—can have a significant effect on both the intensity and quality of the experience.

The study’s findings indicate that DMT and other psychedelics could assist in one’s preparation for death. Future research studies could further investigate the overlap between near-death experiences and the psychedelic state, which may develop further understanding about the inevitable and universal phenomenon of death, perhaps even promoting a greater sense of familiarity with and healthy acceptance of it.

What does this mean?

It would be completely understandable (especially for a psychedelic-naïve person) to think that this is all a bit strange. After all, why would taking drugs have anything to do with the process of dying, and why would we want to prepare for it?

Each culture has its own beliefs pertaining to death, as well as a unique set of opinions concerning how to best prepare for death. Many in our modern Western society become upset, sometimes even to the point of traumatization, simply by thinking about, discussing, or experiencing various aspects of death.

An example of a culture taking the opposite approach are the Tibetans, who have used the Tibetan Book of the Dead for 13 centuries in order to learn about and prepare for the end of life. It would be reasonable to say that cultures who spend time becoming familiar with death may have a better understanding and positive relationship with it than we do in the West.

But that doesn’t mean that we’re doomed. Now that hard evidence surrounding the similarities and differences between the DMT state and near-death experiences has been obtained, perhaps our society can begin to develop a healthier relationship with death, and in turn, live our lives to the fullest.

*From the article here :

Inside_a_5-Meo_DMT_Retreat_Who_Should_Shouldnt_Embark_on_Heros_Journey_Psychedelic_Spotlight.jpg

Inside a 5-MeO-DMT Retreat*

by Travis Reilly | Psychedelic Spotlight | 3 Feb 2022

The psychedelic facilitators tell us open-minded participants, who have a willingness to dive deep into their inner world generally have the most success at the Tandava Retreat wellness center in Tepoztlan, Mexico, and they'll turn potential patients away who could possibly be harmed by this experience.
What do a Tatooine dirt farmer named Luke Skywalker and a would-be psychonaut enrolled at one of Tandava’s psychedelic retreats have in common?

Both are about to embark on one heck of a mind-bending “hero’s journey,” at least according to entheogenic entrepreneurs Joël Brierre and Victoria Wueschner.

Joël — the CEO and founder of Tandava Retreat’s parent company Kaivalya Kollectiv — and Victoria — its Head of Education — recently offered Psychedelic Spotlight Media Director Swati Sharma an inside look at its flagship wellness center in Tepoztlan, Mexico. They spoke to her about everything from their early experiences with hallucinogens and the trajectory of their blossoming business to why their retreats utilize 5-MeO-DMT, a potent psychedelic compound outlawed in the United States and transformative enough to earn the nickname the God Molecule.

According to Joël and Victoria, however, the 5-MeO experience is so powerful, so visceral, and so mystical that a simple description could hardly do it justice.

“Putting it into words for people can be quite tricky,” Victoria said, explaining the best way to understand the psychedelic voyage is to study up on what American mythologist Joseph Campbell calls the “hero’s journey,” a narrative framework beginning with a call to adventure which has famously served as a template for everything from Skywalker’s saga in “Star Wars” to Neo’s evolution in “The Matrix.” Wueschner said the hero’s journey comparison is so apt Tandava bakes it into their retreats.

“It’s a transcultural geography that can provide a footing in what can be a very unnerving situation,” Brierre added.

Why choose 5-MeO-DMT for a psychedelic experience?

So, why 5-MeO-DMT instead of more commonly used medicines like psilocybin or ketamine?

“What makes 5-MeO stand out is that ineffability, that sense that there is not an individual self … and our entire sense of egoic identity dissolves away,” Brierre said, calling it the “crown jewel of the entheogenic kingdom.” “What’s on the other side of that type of individual death, you know, that is the grand mystical experience that has been sought after and attempted to be explained for millennia.”

Wueschner, meanwhile, compared smoking 5-MeO to “throwing a grenade into the lake of your subconscious.”

“Everything that’s been suppressed down for so long, it starts to come up to the surface to be looked at and to be worked through,”
she said.

As the pair told Sharma, open-minded participants generally have the most success at a Tandava Retreat. “The main thing that we look for is a willingness to surrender … everything they think they know about themselves, everything they think they know and understand about everything. The process is so far beyond what the mind can conceive, that the mind can fight it tooth and nail if not properly prepared,” Brierre said.

“It really takes somebody being ready to jump in there,” Wueschner agreed.

Who should NOT embark on this trip?

On the other hand, they don’t recommend the experience for persons suffering from “complex” post-traumatic stress disorder or experiencing “excessive” obsessive-compulsive disorder.

“5-MeO is probably not suitable for someone who is very, very, very attached to who they are and what they think this [existence] is and is not willing to budge on that,” Brierre said. “Someone who is very firmly set in their ideals and doesn’t have a lot of wiggle room can cause turbulence in the experience as well as the integration process, and so we certainly do turn [people] away on occasion, as this may not be the best fit for them at this moment.”

If 5-MeO-DMT has a bad rap among some in the psychedelic-assisted therapy community, Victoria and Joël believe that has less to do with the drug itself than with its frequently under-qualified administrators.

“There are facilitators … running around who found this online, or maybe only had an experience with it once, and think that it’s, like, appropriate to start serving other people without … having a deeper relationship with the medicine and learning, proper contraindications,” Wueschner said. “So, things can get very messy.”

“If you’re serving this medicine, you should have a background in integration [because] a 10-year-old could hold the pipe for somebody, but … to be a facilitator, you need to be able to walk somebody to, through, and from the experience,”
she concluded. “5-MeO-DMT is the biggest medicine there is. It is huge. So much can come up — traumas, memories we didn’t even know about from when we were little kids, and it’s big stuff.”

*From the article here :

Could DMT be a superior treatment for Substance Use Disorder?​

by Amanda Siebert | The Dales Report | 4 Feb 2022

Several psychedelics companies are pursuing drug development research for new treatments for substance use disorder, including Vancouver-based Entheon Biomedical, which is looking specifically at N,N-dimethyltryptamine, or DMT.

Last week, The Dales Report sat down with CEO Timothy Ko and Chief Science Officer and Director of Operations Dr. Andrew Hegle to learn more about what brought the two executives to the psychedelic space, details on Entheon’s upcoming study, and how DMT could potentially be used as a treatment for substance use disorder.

Ko, who has a broad history as an entrepreneur, was brought to psychedelics for a deeply personal reason, having lost his brother to a fentanyl overdose in 2019. He’s also used them himself to overcome trauma.

“Some of the same triggers and stressors that my brother faced, I also faced, and I knew anecdotally that psychedelics had the ability to transform my life and allow me to live a free and unencumbered life,” said Ko.

“I’ve made it my mission to seek out those that know more than me to validate whether psychedelics could be useful for treating those with addiction. And pretty quickly, we’ve heard a resounding ‘yes’.”

Dr. Hegle, who serves as an adjunct professor of pharmacology at UBC, comes from a background in molecular biology and neuroscience, and like Ko, has also lost people in his life to substance use disorder.

Why DMT?

Ko explained that the reason that psychedelics more broadly, and DMT specifically, are being researched as a potential treatment for substance use disorder has to do with their “ability to generate hugely profound experiences and insights”—outcomes that are sought after through existing treatment paradigms including 12-step recovery and psychotherapy.

“There’s always this push towards a better understanding of motivating factors, impulses, motivations, and stressors,” he said. “Where we think DMT is hugely beneficial is that, especially for those that are suffering from substance use disorder, they may have some very difficult trauma issues that are underpinning that.”

If a person encounters an extended challenging period during their experience while using psilocybin, LSD, or ayahuasca, there isn’t a mechanism to bring the trip to an end—but with intravenous DMT, there is an opportunity to provide greater control, said Ko.

“With DMT, just by virtue of its unique pharmacokinetics, you do have that ability to modulate, titrate, and end the experience if medically necessary, and we think that that’s a particularly useful feature that for actual in clinic use.”

Hegle provided further details on the drugs pharmacokinetics: “DMT is really unique in the fact that it has something like a half-an-hour metabolism, so it comes in and goes out very fast.

“It’s very powerful, but it provides a really intense but short experience. By administering it in the clinic, we can give it to you for as long as needed,” he said. “Some patients may find that an hour is sufficient, or maybe two hours, for the psychotherapist who’s there to help them really make the most of that powerful experience.”

Another clear benefit of the shorter treatment period is cost savings: drug-assisted psychotherapy involving psilocybin or MDMA can last four to six hours.

“Because of that short session length, people might not even need to take the whole day off. They could come in for a few hours and be released as an outpatient,” added Hegle, noting that intravenous administration allows for real-time adjustments to dosing.

Watch the rest of the interview above to learn more from Hegle and Ko about how they imagine DMT being used in a clinical setting, and about Entheon’s clinical trial, which is about to kick off at the Centre for Human Drug Research in Leiden, Netherlands.

amanda-siebert-150x150.jpg

Amanda Siebert

Amanda is a freelance multimedia journalist focusing on the intersections of business and culture in the cannabis and psychedelics industries. She is a co-founder and editor-in-chief at Inside the Jar, a growing independent publication focused on drug culture in Canada and the United States, and a regular contributor to Forbes and The Dales Report. Her first book, “The Little Book of Cannabis: How Marijuana Can Improve Your Life”, was published by Greystone Books in 2018, and was named the #1-selling non-fiction cannabis book in the country in 2019. A follow-up, "The Little Book of Psychedelics," is in the works. Her byline has appeared in the New York Times, Vice, Leafly, Calgary Herald, Georgia Straight (where she received national and regional awards for her work), and CannCentral, among others.

*From the article here :

DMTfractals-1920x1524.jpg

DMT an effective treatment for depression and anxiety*

by Andrea D. Steffen | Intelligent Living

Johns Hopkins researchers recently conducted a new survey into the anti-depressant qualities of DMT – a short-acting psychedelic. They reported that it resulted in extraordinarily positive improvements in well-being. The research thus revealed that the use of the synthetic psychedelic 5-MeO-DMT appears to be associated with unintended improvements in self-reported depression and anxiety when given in a ceremonial group setting.

5-MeO-DMT is a psychedelic that is found in the venom of Bufo Alvarius toads, in a variety of plants species, and can be produced synthetically. It is the strongest and most heavily dissociative derivative of DMT. Its duration of action is brief, making it a potentially more useful option in clinical applications, as opposed to longer acting psychedelics such as psilocybin and LSD. Often within a minute of being inhaled or injected, DMT is in full effect. The length of the effect can range anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes.

Alan Davis, one of the researchers working on the project, said:

“Research has shown that psychedelics given alongside psychotherapy help people with depression and anxiety. However, psychedelic sessions usually require 7—8 hours per session because psychedelics typically have a long duration of action. Because 5-MeO-DMT is short-acting and lasts approximately 30-90 minutes, it could be much easier to use as an adjunct to therapy because current therapies usually involve a 60—90 minute session.”​

The Study

• They analyzed reports from an independent group of 5-MeO-DMT users that has been experimenting with this particular psychedelic for over a decade.​
  • Then, they surveyed 362 adults with the majority (63 percent) reporting having only used 5-MeO-DMT between one and three times.​

The Results

• About 80 percent of the participants reported improvements in anxiety and depression after use.​
  • Improvements were also related to stronger beliefs that the experience contributed to enduring well-being and life satisfaction.​
  • These results were published in The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse.​

Conclusion

The psychedelic agent psilocybin was granted Breakthrough Status by the FDA last year because early clinical evidence demonstrated the psychedelic to be extremely promising as a treatment for major depression. This means that the FDA will now assist and expedite subsequent development processes. Perhaps the biggest challenge scientists are facing in turning these psychedelic agents into clinical treatments is the long duration of acute action.

A dose of psilocybin results in acute effects lasting up to eight hours, requiring extensive treatment scenarios to be established allowing for the safe clinical administration of the drug; while DMT offers a much briefer duration of action, allowing for a hypothetical treatment session of less than two hours. Furthermore, a previous study by Davis published in The Journal of Psychopharmacology showed that 5-MeO-DMT had a safe profile of use and low risk for health and legal consequences.

Davis said:
“It is important to examine the short- and long-term effects of 5-MeO-DMT, which may enhance mood in general or may be particularly mood enhancing for those individuals experiencing clinically significant negative mood. Regardless, this research is in its infancy and further investigation is warranted in healthy volunteers.”

*From the article here :

Last edited:
5dc062aa1d3ee.jpg

A Beginners Guide to DMT*

Everything to know about the hallucinogenic “spirit molecule”—common side effects include seeing aliens and finally connecting with the universe.

by Markham Heid | VICE | 2 Feb 2022

When Jonathan Bell first tried DMT, he was already well-acquainted with psychedelics—at 34, he had taken acid and used mushrooms on dozens of occasions. Even so, he was staggered by the intensity of his first DMT trip.

“It’s such a bungee jump into a new realm that it can be quite disorienting,” said Bell, now 44, who lives in Denver. Since that first trip, he estimates that he’s used DMT hundreds of times.

As he thought about what it’s like to take the drug, he made a motorboat sound with his lips. “It is a completely immersive experience of seeing and feeling,” he finally said. “Within the space of a breath, you go from regular waking consciousness to something wholly different.”

Describing what any drug “is like” can be difficult. But users say the profundity and variety of the DMT trip makes it especially difficult to put into words. The late biochemist Alexander Shulgin was an early drugs-as-therapy pioneer. In a 1997 book that he wrote with his wife and collaborator, Ann Shulgin, he described one of his personal experiences with inhaled N,N-Dimethyltryptamine, or DMT.

“I was being destroyed—all that was familiar, all reference points, all identity—all viciously shattered in a few seconds,” he wrote. “I couldn’t even mourn the loss—there was no one left to do the mourning. Up, up, out, out, eyes closed, I am at the speed of light, expanding, expanding, expanding, faster and faster until I have become so large that I no longer exist.”

Shulgin’s account touches on several hallmark features of the DMT experience, including the rapid onset and the overwhelming sense of one’s self and identity evaporating into something grander and more intimately enmeshed in the fabric of the universe.

While DMT is less well-known than other hallucinogens, some consider it the ur-psychedelic—the alpha and omega in any true psychonaut’s arsenal of mind-expanding substances. It’s often referred to as an “entheogen,” or a substance that can facilitate divine or spiritual experiences. It’s the main psychedelic (significantly diluted) in Ayahuasca brews. Some refer to it as the “god molecule.”

“It’s sometimes described as literally being shot off into DMT space,” said Roland Griffiths, a professor of psychiatry and neuroscience at Johns Hopkins University. Griffiths is the founding director of his university’s Center for Psychedelic and Consciousness Research who has published research on DMT. He said the drug produces “a profound shift in conscious experience.” Not long ago, this may have sounded like loopy hippie hyperbole, but Griffiths is one of the world’s leading experts on the use of psychedelics as medicine, and he said the neurological research on DMT suggests that it could provide real psychological benefits among people with conditions such as depression and anxiety—a view that some recent clinical trial data support.

And then there’s the fact that DMT has been found to occur naturally in the human brain. No one can say with certainty what it’s doing there, but some researchers have speculated that it may underlie some of neuroscience’s more inexplicable phenomena—including some aspects of near-death experiences.

So what does this mean for you, a layperson who’s curious about DMT or possibly even curious about trying DMT? Here’s what we know for sure about this relatively mysterious, but definitely intense psychedelic.

What is DMT?

N,N-Dimethyltryptamine is an organic compound found in many plants and, in lesser amounts, in the nervous system of humans and other mammals. Chemically, DMT is related to serotonin, melatonin, and other neurotransmitters that affect core elements of the human experience, including mood and memory.

Like LSD, peyote, psilocybin, and mescaline, DMT is considered a “classic psychedelic,” meaning, human beings have long experimented with its psychotropic properties—for at least several hundred years, said Griffiths. “All the classic psychedelics have different effects and onsets and durations of action,” he explained. “But they all share a principal site of action, which is the serotonin 2A receptor.”

DMT, like these other classic psychedelics, is a serotonin 2A receptor agonist, which means it binds to these receptors and induces neurochemical shifts that alter sensory perceptions, cognitive processes, and other brain functions related to consciousness. DMT also interacts with a range of other receptors and pathways. Research in the journal Nature Scientific Reports has found that it not only alters the brain’s chemistry, but it also shifts the brain’s electrical activity in ways that map onto people’s psychedelic experiences. In other words, a user’s trip seems directly tied to these brain changes.

How do people make, buy, and use DMT?

Synthetic DMT can be made in a lab, but users usually encounter the drug in the form of a powdery white salt that has been extracted from the bark of tropical trees or other plant sources. As with other drugs, dosage can vary depending on the user and the particular extraction. But, like other drugs, smaller doses produce milder effects. Most of the research and literature on DMT has looked at so-called “breakthrough” doses—or those potent enough to trigger a completely immersive psychedelic experience.

In terms of how people get a hold of DMT, Griffiths said some users extract it themselves using internet DIY guides and plant cuttings purchased online. Bell said he usually encounters DMT in preloaded vape pens, which cost around $100 and are good for at least 10 to 15 trips. Some users also pay “guides” to walk them through the whole experience. “My understanding is that usually people are paying anywhere from $200 to $500 for somebody to bring them the drug and then dose them with it, so they’re paying for a drug and an experience and that facilitation,” said Alan Davis, a psychedelics researcher and assistant professor at Ohio State University.

In Ayahuasca brews, which people drink, Griffiths said that DMT powder is mixed or cut with other plant compounds that slow and soften its effects. In this form, the drug takes a bit of time to set in—anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or longer—and the subsequent trip can last for many hours.

Pure DMT, on the other hand, is usually smoked or vaped. “Sometimes it’s mixed with a little bit of marijuana and smoked,” Griffiths said. “Other times, it’s heated up until it can be vaporized.” (Less commonly, DMT is injected intravenously.) He said the drug’s effects are felt almost instantly—within a matter of seconds, and usually after a single deep inhalation. Compared to many other psychedelics, the DMT trip is a short one; it tends to last no more than 20 to 30 minutes.

What is it like to take DMT?

That’s tricky. “Much of the experience is ineffable because it seems to access parts of my brain that I don’t have human language to describe,” said Amy Shula, 40, a Denver-based clinical research program manager.

Shula said that she’s smoked or inhaled DMT around 20 times total. Like Bell, she said every DMT experience is unique, but she still recalled aspects of her first trip.
“There are levels to it,” she said. “After the first hit, my body gets very relaxed and colors get very vivid.” The second inhale added new layers of experience. “I feel weightless, as if I'm in water but someone or something is holding me,” she said. “And then it’s as if I’m looking at a geometric matrix—a somewhat transparent matrix that encompasses everything.”

Shula said she usually tries to inhale and hold three or four hits, but the force of the trip often prevents her from getting there. At a certain point, the world around her is gone. “I go into a kind of hyperspace, not like a tunnel, but like I’m moving through space at lightspeed, and seeing colors and shapes that I’ve never seen before,” she said. “There’s a sense of oneness with everything—like I’m the universe experiencing itself.”

Other users describe similar sensations. “I died, or at the very least, my soul left my body and arrived in what can only be described as a divine realm,”
said Tim Leonard, 39, a Detroit-area entrepreneur. “I saw a translucent human skull with an active brain emitting colors and energy. The brain was connected to the heart, which was also bursting with color.”

“The message,”
he said, “was that being born human is a great gift. It’s a miracle that we exist and that we are conscious of our own existence.”

When it comes to the so-called “breakthrough” trips associated with higher doses of the drug, some user experiences are remarkably—almost eerily—commonplace. These often include a feature that is sometimes known as “the encounter.”

“Not infrequently, people have these experiences in which they’re encountering some kind of sentient autonomous entity,” said Johns Hopkins’s Griffiths.

Shula described one trip where she saw a “godhead” that resembled an Aztec mask. “I felt safe and held by it, and it was showing me that it was about to lead me on a journey,” she said.

The specifics of these encounters vary from user to user, and not everyone has them. But these sorts of encounters are so commonplace among DMT users that Griffiths has published research on their features. His surveys of DMT users have found that the entity encounter tends to be mostly visual and telepathic. The most common descriptions of the entity are as a “being,” a “guide,” a “spirit,” or an “alien,” but it can take just about any form—including some that are nonsensical or frightening. (Terrance McKenna, the ethnobotanist and noted psychedelics researcher, famously described the entities he encountered as “machine elves.”)

“There’s usually some kind of communication with this entity, and it’s normally a hugely compelling experience,” Griffiths said. “People report that it’s altered their entire fundamental conception of reality.” Oddly, he said that descriptions of these encounters are often bizarre or chilling. “And yet the primary emotions people feel are love and kindness and joy, and the attributes they ascribe to the entity are things like consciousness, benevolence, and sacredness,” he said.

This all maps very tightly onto Leonard’s experience. Over and over again, he used words like “love” and “beauty” to describe his trip. “My perception of life has changed,” he said. “Love and gratitude and intelligence seem to be the root of our creator and of all creation.”

Even after the hallucinatory effects of DMT have faded, people tend to believe that the encounter they had was real. Many say it felt more real than everyday consciousness, and most—including Leonard—continue to believe that the entity they communicated with still exists… somewhere. “They don’t regard it as a dream or something fanciful,” Griffiths said.

He mentioned Rick Strassman, a clinical associate professor of psychiatry at the University of New Mexico and noted DMT researcher. In his bestselling book DMT: The Spirit Molecule, Strassman soberly entertains the idea that parallel universes might actually exist, and that DMT somehow allows users to access them. “That’s a pretty radical thing for a physician scientist to propose,” Griffiths said. “But so many of his study participants had these experiences that he couldn’t just dismiss them.”

Finally, DMT often engenders a sense of oneness or connectedness with other things and with the universe.

It’s noteworthy that many people who use Ayahuasca report many of these same experiences, although often in more abstract or symbolic forms—sort of like a “lite” version of the DMT trip. Meanwhile, the experiences of users of 5-MeO-DMT could be described as even stronger or more profound.

“DMT is typically called the spirit molecule, while 5-MeO is described as the God molecule,” said Davis, the Ohio State professor. “With 5-MeO, people report a complete dissolution of the ego and complete unification with God and the universe and everything that’s ever existed. It’s a more robust and dramatic transformation.”

Can you use DMT for medical purposes?

Right now, everyone’s talking about psychedelics as potential game-changers in the treatment of addiction, depression, anxiety, trauma, and other mental health conditions. DMT, even outside of Ayahuasca therapy, is a growing part of that conversation.

“A lot of depression or anxiety is about feeling disconnected or alone or isolated, or not having a place in the world,” said Davis. “One of the core features [of DMT] is this complete connection to the universe and dissolution of all those thoughts.”

Griffiths has helped lead several studies into the therapeutic action of psychedelics—mostly psilocybin. He said that DMT’s rapid onset and relatively short trip duration make it an attractive candidate from a logistical point of view: A mushroom trip can last eight hours or more, while someone can experience DMT in the space of an hour or 90-minute therapy session. He also said that, like other psychedelics, DMT seems to induce the kind of heightened neuroplasticity and shifts in neuronal functioning that seem to partly underlie these drugs’ benefits.

But he has reservations. “People are back to normative levels of consciousness within 30 minutes, and the experience is much more discontinuous from normal reality,” he said. “With DMT, it could be harder to make sense of these experiences and integrate them into normal ways of thinking and being in ways that are helpful.”

Griffiths said that DMT, like other psychedelics, doesn’t appear to be toxic to the brain or body. But it isn’t without risk. “For one thing, all of these drugs are illegal,” he said.

“The other concern is that these kinds of experiences can be destabilizing to some individuals,”
he said. “In our research, we do not administer psilocybin to people with family histories of psychotic illness like schizophrenia because it’s possible that an experience of this sort could push them over into a chronic psychotic disorder.” This is more a precaution than a proven risk—researchers who have looked to see if psychedelics can trigger serious mental health problems have not found evidence of elevated risks.

When it comes to 5-MeO-DMT taken outside of clinical settings, Davis said the drug is so potent that people who are unsupervised may get into life-threatening trouble. “You could fall forward in a way that your airways become compressed and you suffocate,” he said.

Why and how does DMT naturally occur in our bodies?

Arguably the most intriguing thing about DMT—and also the most perplexing—is the discovery that we have some of it inside us. No one knows why it’s there.

“There are people who have put out some interesting ideas, but there’s not enough [evidence] to even call them theories or hypotheses,” said Davis. Among the speculations is that DMT somehow plays a part in dreaming or spiritual experiences, though why we would be equipped with such a chemical isn’t clear.

“One of the more interesting ideas is that DMT may be somehow related to the death and dying process—that it may be released in the pineal gland during death or dying,” Davis said. Again, though, that’s just a guess.

Davis also pointed out that some common features of near-death experiences—leaving one’s body, connecting with some kind of benevolent higher power—seem to share attributes with DMT trips. Some researchers have even speculated that DMT and the near-death experiences they trigger may help us more convincingly play dead—a life-saving strategy and vestige of a time when humans were not infrequently attacked by wild animals.

“Others posit that these aren’t creating hallucinations at all, but opening up real dimensions of contact that we can’t normally access,” Davis said.

While there are plenty of unanswered questions about DMT, it seems undeniable that it offers people a profound experience. “I think it helps us tap into something we don’t typically have access to with our human brains, like a gateway to see more truth,” said Shula, the Denver clinical research program manager.

“It has 100 percent affected me,” she said. “I feel like it showed me what life is—that there is no time or space, no end, and everything is interconnectedness.”

*From the article here :

Last edited:
img-hero-derm-research.jpg

School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin

DMT and Stroke Research

by Tanya Ielyseieva | Truffle Report | 11 Mar 2021

As psychedelics become increasingly viable as treatments for mental and physical health issues, drug developers have begun researching treatments to boost the recovery of neurotransmitter systems throughout the brain and spinal cord. Truffle Report decided to look into the research surrounding DMT and how it can promote structural and functional neural plasticity, and potentially aid in stroke treatment and recovery.

In 2018, one in every six deaths from cardiovascular disease was due to stroke. The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that 15 million people suffer from stroke worldwide each year. Of these, five million die, and another five million are permanently disabled. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), stroke is one of the leading causes of death in the United States, with about 795,000 U.S. people suffering a stroke each year.​

What is a stroke?

A stroke occurs when the blood flow that delivers oxygen and nutrients to the brain is blocked by a clot or bursts. When part of the brain can receive neither the blood nor oxygen that it needs to function, brain cells die. The death of the brain cells can lead to a serious physical or mental disability, or in the worst-case scenario, death.

There are three main types of stroke:​
  • Ischemic stroke is the most common, responsible for about 87 percent of total case numbers. During an ischemic stroke the arteries delivering blood to the brain become narrow or blocked, which prevents blood and oxygen from reaching the brain. Ischemic strokes can be thrombotic (the clot forms in one of the arteries supplying blood to the brain) and embolic (the clot forms in the part of the body such as the heart, arteries in the neck, or upper chest).​
  • Hemorrhagic stroke is caused by breakage or leaking in the blood vessel, which leads to bleeding in the brain. This break stops oxygen and other nutrients from reaching brain cells. Hemorrhagic stroke can be intracerebral (tissues surrounding the brain are filled with blood) and subarachnoid (an area between the brain and tissues that is filled with blood).​
  • Transient ischemic attack, often referred to as TIA or mini-stroke, happens when blood flow to the brain is blocked by a temporary clot.​
The symptoms of stroke vary. The only thing that they have in common is sudden and unexpected emergence. The list of symptoms can include:​
  • Confusion, disorientation, memory loss​
  • Trouble speaking and understanding speech​
  • Numbness or weakness in an arm, leg, or the face​
  • Severe headaches​
  • Difficulty seeing or vision loss​
DMT and brain studies

DMT is a psychoactive compound that can occur naturally within the human body and induces an intense psychedelic experience when ingested. So why are researchers interested in the DMT as a possible salvation for stroke victims?

Previous studies have shown that DMT has great potential to boost neuroplasticity in the brain and to protect it from hypoxia.

A study by researchers at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health in collaboration with the Isfahan University of Technology in Iran discovered that DMT binds to sigma-1 receptors (Sig-1R), which are located throughout the human body. Sig-1R has a major role in protecting brain cells from losing oxygen, resulting in cell death.

A 2016 study by researchers at the Oslo University Hospital in collaboration with the University of Debrecen in Hungary and Sant Pau Institute of Biomedical Research in Spain investigated the effects of DMT on neurons and immune cells during hypoxic stress. Hypoxic stress occurs when organisms encounter insufficient levels of oxygen. Results showed that DMT increases the survival times of these cell types, suggesting that this psychedelic drug can protect cells from hypoxia-induced cellular stress, meaning DMT helps to keep brain cells alive.

A 2018 study by David Olson showed that psychedelics can change brain cells in rats and flies. DMT was found to promote neuroplasticity.

A 2020 study by researchers at the Complutense University Of Madrid in Spain found that not only does DMT encourage the formation of new neurons and activating neural stem cells, it also helps rodents to better perform memory tasks.

In a 2020 study by researchers at the Semmelweis University in Hungary in collaboration with the University of Oslo, DMT-treated rats had reduced brain injuries and increased motor function. The effects were demonstrated in rats who had ischemia-reperfusion injuries in their brains.

With these studies in mind, researchers are now asking whether or not the effects of DMT can help stroke patients. If so, how do they eliminate the hallucinogenic part of the experience while maintaining the neurogenic benefits?​

Current DMT clinical research

The first company to make the news was Algernon Pharmaceuticals. This Vancouver-based clinical-stage drug developmer is aiming to use DMT to aid acute ischemic stroke recovery with a microdosing protocol, with clinical trials to start as soon as possible in 2021. The study is being led by Dr. Rick Strassman, who famously labelled DMT “The Spirit Molecule” and has Professor David Nutt of Imperial College London attached as a consultant.

However, PharmaDrug has now filed an FDA Orphan Drug Designation for DMT in stroke. This Toronto-based specialty pharmaceutical company aims to use DMT for emergency medical assistance within three hours of stroke symptom onset.

“We are building an industry-leading foundation to explore the clinical potential of DMT in rare neuropsychiatric and neurological disorders. With the submission of our orphan drug application to the FDA now complete, we will move swiftly to accelerate the research and development of DMT for acute ischemic stroke,” said Daniel Cohen, CEO of PharmaDrug, in a press release. “Additionally, we will continue to broaden our DMT clinical programs by taking advantage of valuable FDA regulatory incentives such as orphan drug, fast track and breakthrough therapy designations.”

If DMT is found to be safe for stroke patients, it can potentially prevent damage in the brain and help speed up post-stroke rehabilitation.

Last edited:
779af029468cc12e16466481dc04dd64.jpg

5-MeO-DMT and the Spiritual Path to the Divine Light*

by Gerardo Ruben Sandoval Isaac | Reality Sandwich

After performing over 1,600 ceremonies, I have witnessed the magical healing properties of vaporized venom of Bufo alvarius. I have seen with my own eyes the medicinal application for many illnesses that afflict mankind nowadays.

I have introduced this sacred medicine to doctors, lawyers, psychologists, therapists, my dad, old senile patients, artists, AIDS and cancer patients, severely depressed people, schizophrenic patients, and drug addicts. All sessions turned out with marvelous positive results.

It is the only substance I have witnessed capable of showing us who we really are. It removes our ego-made masks and shows us what we are made of… Light!

As a gynecologist, I haven’t got the time to dedicate my life fully to this sacred molecule and spread the word of its value. But I am humbly proud of what I have done and realized. As an ob-gyn, I am a witness to the birth of humanity, but through this amazing spiritual work, I am also a witness to humanity’s rebirth.

I believe that the secretion of the Bufo alvarius toad was the magical component in the smoke blend used by the Sonoran Yaqui Don Juan Matus in Carlos Castaneda’s book The Teachings of Don Juan, which he loved to call “humito” or “little smoke.” Reading that Castaneda’s experience of smoking humito was such a powerful entheogenic experience can only lead to the suspicion that it actually was 5-MeO-DMT from the Sonoran Desert toad; something that was kept secret for so long, escaping the Spanish conquistadores and the Inquisition that tried to abolish all signs of polytheistic religions.

Hollywood has also secretly tried to capture the magic and power of entheogens such as in the film Renegade, in which Mesoamerican Indians, my ancestors, gained the most sacred knowledge from their treasured entheogens.

One can only presume that everything is in place at the right time, with all happening for a reason. I am not so interested in the past use of this medicine but in the actual and future use of this powerful entheogen.

For some reason 5-MeO-DMT has appeared now. Let’s accept it and embrace it like the Seri Indians have, giving it a proper use, with the respect it deserves.

I suggest preparing the body and the mind for the experience. In order to achieve the maximum knowledge or wisdom one would need to respect and have high intentions for the experience when ingesting an entheogen.

I must emphasize that I have never used an entheogen for entertainment purposes, except for LSD in common doses. All of the hundreds of experiences or trips I have made have had a purpose. My respect for the experience has always been as profound as it is for the substance. I act as a facilitator of the experience in a ceremonial setting.

The ceremonies are shared in a loving context and with mutual respect, with attention paid to what every person requires in their process of evolution. The sole purpose of these ceremonies is to reconnect the human being to the primary or primal Source. All people, regardless of their conditions or gender, may become masters of their own consciousness, and receive privileged access to perform an apocatastasis, returning to their own selves again by means of liberation, healing, purification, and transformation.

Since I was young living in Catorce I have always pursued knowledge to become a better man, to help my relations.

I have always consumed entheogens to attain a religious experience.

Entheogens are the fundamental pillars of my religion, of my relationship with God or the Source or the Light. So instead of going periodically to church or a temple I prefer to have a trip or an entheogenic experience.

I don’t believe in partying with entheogens. If I used them a lot, it was probably because it was my destiny. Any other ordinary individual surely would have lost his or her mind.

Humans suffer from a disease I call “Everlasting Dissatisfaction Syndrome.” We will never be satisfied with what we possess. It is our human desire to want more, be more, in an endless effort to fill a space that will never be filled with material things. Eventually we will end up like a spider trapped in its own web.

Overpopulation, waste, pollution, depletion, and destruction work synergistically to influence humankind in a negative way.

This human desire for overconsumption or consumerism is the main factor obscuring our purpose. Entheogens, I believe, are the cure for this evil human disease.

We must learn to love what we possess and be grateful for the life that is given to us.

There is a relationship between light exposure and endogenous (or naturally produced) DMT. The less exposed our brains are to artificial light, the more DMT will be pumped into the brain’s bloodstream. Without this exposure, ancient Biblical characters such as Moses, Abraham, and Isaac had more DMT endogenously and hence were able to have such profound religious experiences. This explains the multiple revelations of divinity received by humankind in ancient times.

As soon as we created artificial light we deprived ourselves of secreting naturally produced DMT, and maybe 5-MeO-DMT, by the pineal gland. Technology basically separated us from the Light Source, the Divine Light of Consciousness. And that is why I believe now is the time for this medicine to be shared among our tribes worldwide. This might just be the solution we are all waiting for.

The Sonoran Seri Indians name all toads otac, the Yaqui Indians name the desert toads boboc, and the Mayans call all toads Xpek.

Amazed by it they embraced it and now besides using peyote, they use this sacrament in their ceremonies.

Now in my free time I share this molecule and medicine with the people along with my Seri chant and sacred mantras in a ceremonial setting based on respect and the will to be a better person.

I won’t go deep into the testimonials of the individuals who have been a part of this quest, in order to respect their privacy, since many were drug addicts, or had severe mental issues or were living a nightmare, like myself. But just to mention some: women suffering from sexual repression, severely depressed people, victims of strong drug addictions, patients with terminal disease, families separated by madness and reunited by an entheogenic experience — these are a few of the many different circumstances that my dear and precious toads’ secretion has cured and fixed. I have been following up on as many people as possible and have discovered there are definite pre- and post-states of awareness induced by 5-MeO-DMT or other entheogenic experiences.

I recall the experience of a well-known, very bright psychologist. As soon as the medicine entered his body he started to scream, “It burns! It burns!” He yelled uncontrollably. I tried my best to calm him down. Afterward he told me he had been sent to hell, and even breathing burned. It was the most horrifying experience of his life. He complained to me. He demanded an explanation for what I had “done to” him. It took him a long time to calm down. The last complaint came a month after his experience, when he called me asking the same question: “What on earth did you give me, Doctor?”

Whether they have good or bad experiences from 5-MeO-DMT, everyone who tries it evolves in some way. They also contribute in fulfilling my dream-purpose of spreading this Light, curing and healing humanity.

We have a curious capacity to learn from an entheogenic experience. It is crucial to have time to assimilate it and have feedback regarding the experience.

Many can testify that the Truth has set them free.

It has now become more than a mission, a purpose to get together with the Light tribe and share this Light and fulfill the planet’s will.

I have always seen positive results, short- and long-term, everywhere I give this medicine. It has really become more of an honor to be part of this enlightening movement, the Light Revolution of Consciousness.

Now that I have learned from my mistakes I can proudly show my scars. I embrace them and hope to become a better man every single day, conscious of the spiritual world and of every word put into action — thanks to the magical healing and enlightening properties of 5-MeO-DMT.

I am a manifestation of the Light that has come to awaken my brothers and remind them that we are all one. We are one living, conscious being. Our planet is alive and we are all connected to every single thing in the whole multiverse.

Hikuri cleaned my body, showed me the right way to live, Teonanacatl (“flesh of the gods”) enlightened my mind, and the Bufo alvarius or “sapito” (“little toad”) secretion turned on or reconnected my soul with the Divine Light to shine on and through myself, my kind, my offspring, and my planet.

All entheogens - peyotl, hikuri, or jicuri - are God’s Light… God’s molecules.

We are beings of Light that decided to condense into matter through our human-bound form.

Now I only have to look back at my life and my actions to confirm I was destined to have a long spiritual path toward enlightenment. And thanks to these entheogens I have grown to be a good man with a rich spiritual life, devoted to service.

All experiences have made me who I am today: Dr. DMT, Dr. Gerry Alvarius, even Dr. Bufo, or simply Dr. Gerry. Whatever people call me they constantly remind me of my purpose. I humbly accept the honor of delivering this sacred molecule to as many people as possible in my life’s span.

*From the article here :

http://realitysandwich.com/320490/the-god-molecule/

DMT-Therapies-3.png

More companies embracing 5-MeO-DMT to create therapies*

by David E. Carpenter | LUCID | 16 Feb 2022

While it is no wonder that for over 40 years psychedelic devotees have found the potent entheogen a useful means of transcendence, it is somewhat remarkable to see millions of dollars pumped into studies of 5-MeO-DMT by laser-focused interests with deep pockets. With encouraging clinical results as a therapy for the debilitating symptoms of treatment-resistant depression (TRD), 5-MeO-DMT is emerging as a medicine with the capacity to relinquish some individuals from depressive conditions.

As Johns Hopkins psychologist and psychedelic researcher Bill Richards said of such transcendental encounters: “Once you discover mystical consciousness in your memory banks, you can’t pretend to be worthless anymore.”

Along with the steep capitalization into research and development of 5-MeO-DMT, one key indicator that the drug is on track to become a viable therapeutic medicine is the DEA’s decision in December to greatly increase production quotas of 5-MeO-DMT for research purposes. The agency boosted quantities that can be produced from 35 grams in 2021 to a significant 2,550 grams for 2022. The increase, says the DEA, is due to “estimates of the medical, scientific, research, and industrial needs of the United States for 2022, as well as lawful export requirements and establishment and maintenance of reserve stocks.”

The following are the primary companies that are, to varying degrees, engaged in R&D of the compound known by its acolytes as “the God molecule.”​

GH Research

An Ireland-based clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, GH Research, made a speedy rise in 2021 announcing its aim to develop novel and proprietary 5-MeO-DMT therapies for patients with TRD. Currently singularly focused on studies of the molecule, the company’s lead product candidate (GH001), a synthetic 5-MeO-DMT formulation, is administered via a “proprietary inhalation approach” intended to produce ultra-rapid durable remissions in depression.

GH Research became highly visible on the psychedelic therapy scene last year with its IPO on Nasdaq and capital contributions reported at an impressive $309 million. That substantial backing has helped fund trials of GH001, which is showing potential to relieve symptoms of TRD. A Phase 1 preliminary safety trial enrolled 46 healthy volunteers and showed no serious adverse events. Findings from the successful outcome of the Phase 2 part of a Phase 1/2 clinical trial of GH001, which enrolled eight participants with TRD, revealed that seven of the eight patients were brought into an ultra-rapid remission of their symptoms.

While the 5-MeO-DMT molecule itself is not patentable, GH Research is putting considerable energy into developing IP around its novel formulation and delivery, saying it has “filed several patent applications covering novel aerosol compositions of matter of 5-MeO-DMT, novel manufacturing methods for the purification of 5-MeO-DMT, high purity 5-MeO-DMT and novel uses of 5-MeO-DMT in various disorders.”

The company is working on two more products currently in preclinical development: a proprietary injectable (GH002) and a proprietary intranasal (GH003), which they anticipate developing in subpopulations within their focus area of psychiatric and neurological disorders.​

Beckley Psytech

Another frontrunner in the pursuit of 5-MeO-DMT therapies to treat the symptoms of TRD is England-based Beckley Psytech. The private company was formed in 2019 as a close strategic partnership with the non-profit Beckley Foundation, led by Lady Amanda Feilding, who has dedicated over 50 years of her life to the exploration of psychedelics. Beckley Psytech’s clinical research – currently in Phase 1 in collaboration with King’s College London – is evaluating the safety and tolerability of intranasal 5-MeO-DMT in psychedelic-naïve healthy subjects.

While its present research seeks to understand the pharmacokinetics of the drug – meaning its absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion within the body – Beckley Psytech is looking ahead and anticipating the inevitable deficit of psychedelic practitioners to administer therapies once the drug becomes legal for medical use. The entire psychedelic therapy sector faces a bottleneck in this respect, making Beckley Psytech’s proactive approach a key factor in its business strategy.

Led by CEO Cosmo Feilding Mellen (son of Lady Amanda Feilding) last year the company entered a collaboration with educational platform Fluence, which provides professional training in psychedelic therapy for psychiatrists, psychotherapists, and social workers. In January, Beckley Psytech announced that a first cohort of psychotherapists had entered training to understand the unique demands of psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy using 5-MeO-DMT. Beckley Psytech’s Phase 1 trials have an estimated completion date of March 2022, with Phase 2 trials expected to begin later in the year.​

Mindset Pharma

Mindset Pharma creates novel drugs inspired by psychedelics like psilocybin and 5-MeO-DMT. Looking to mimic the positive attributes of those substances, while minimizing the potentially hazardous effects that can be inherent to such drugs, a focal point of its business strategy is to develop drugs with improved efficacy and reduced toxicity. To that end, Mindset Pharma is developing a pipeline of pre-clinical psychedelic drug candidates optimized for pharmaceutical use, two of which are the drugs MSP-4019 and MSP-4020 (compounds inspired by 5-MeO-DMT).

Founded in 2019, the Toronto-based drug discovery company says its recent preclinical results of the two drugs demonstrated improved safety profiles via a mouse head-twitch assay, says Mindset Chief Scientific Officer Joseph Araujo. The mouse head-twitch response induced by hallucinogens is a widely used behavioral assay for 5-HT2A serotonin receptor activation.

Citing potential concerns about the risks that 5-MeO-DMT may pose to patients in terms of serotonergic toxicity, Araujo notes of their novel formulation, “our next generation compounds showed no signs of 5-HT syndrome, a serious potential health risk associated with first-generation drugs, 5-MeO-DMT and DMT.”

Parow Entheobiosciences

Pre-clinical stage biotech company Parow Entheobiosciences (PEB), in partnership with Back of the Yards Algae Sciences (BYAS), recently announced they had created the first known 5-MeO-DMT from parotoid gland cells harvested from a Sonoran Desert toad. The process, which does not harm the donor toad, is similar to a technique used extensively in the cultured or lab grown meat industry.

While being a key step toward toad conservation of vulnerable Incilius alvarius populations, the company’s greater aim is to study the cell-based, cruelty-free drug material extracted from toad parotoid cells — which contain a range of defense toxins that include 5-MeO-DMT — to explore whether natural, full-spectrum 5-MeO-DMT outperforms synthetic psychedelics in psychiatric conditions.

The cell-based process, says BYAS founder and researcher Leonard Lerer, MD, has proven to produce good yields and concentration of 5-MeO-DMT. “We also have proof of concept that we can produce immortalized cell lines that are essentially a bio-factory,” says Lerer. Also working in collaboration with Hadassah BrainLabs in Israel — which studies non-human models of psychiatric and neurological diseases — BYAS and PEB are exploring whether natural, full-spectrum entheogens including psilocybin outperform synthetic psychedelics in conditions such as depression, OCD, and PTSD.

Lerer believes the data from those tests will inform their cell-based toad secretion work moving forward, noting the first results will be available later in 2022 and presented at conferences and published in peer-reviewed journals.​

Biomind Labs

Biomind Labs is an R&D biotech company creating novel pharmaceutical drugs for a variety of psychiatric conditions with a focus toward creating nanotech delivery systems. In November, it announced development completion of a “thermosensitive nasal gel delivery system” for its 5-MeO-DMT product candidates. Creating 5-MeO-DMT analogs to treat the symptoms of eating disorders (BMND04) and chronic pain (BMND05), the company says its nasal gel consists of an “adequate viscosity liquid, which turns into a mucoadhesive gel almost immediately after insertion into the nasal cavity upon contact with the mucosa at body temperature.”

Biomind Labs CEO Alejandro Antalich remarks that “the delivery system has the potential to allow for decreased doses compared to the doses necessary to achieve similar results through other forms of systemic administration.” While Biomind Labs is involved in Phase 1 and 2 studies of both of ayahuasca and DMT, its work with 5-MeO-DMT is still in the evaluation and pre-clinical stage.​

Lexston Life Sciences Corp.

Canadian company Lexston Life Sciences Corp. has previously focused on providing cannabis testing and research services and is now expanding into research of naturally derived 5-MeO-DMT. The company announced in January an agreement with Egret Bioscience Ltd. and Alvarius Research Inc. to investigate the entourage of various tryptamines produced in the Colorado River toad.

Alvarius is an R&D company focused on conservation and genomic resource development for the amphibian. Lexston says that Alvarius recently “commenced an ex situ conservation program with eight individual toads from two independent captive populations and has developed ethical means to harvest parotoid gland secretions.”

The company’s aim is to characterize key tryptamine profiles with the goal of optimizing future breeding populations. The teams say they will also jointly develop an alternative to synthetic toad-free tryptamine production, using a cell-based culture pipeline to produce the compounds of interest while seeking to retain the natural entourage effect.​

Cybin

Cybin is aimed at progressing psychedelics to therapeutics for a range of indications including depression, alcohol misuse, neuroinflammation, and anxiety. Part of its recent work with respect to 5-MeO-DMT has been the pursuit of a patent position for R&D evaluating “deuterated” tryptamines for psychedelic-based treatments.

Deuteration refers to the process of modifying a drug molecule to create improved pharmacokinetic or toxicological properties. The increasingly prevalent IP tactic using deuterated compounds has been employed by Cybin as a strategy for filing its novel analog of the drug 5-MeO-DMT, a tryptamine, with the U.S. Patent Applications Office (USPTO).

In February, the company announced it was granted a USPTO patent for its investigational compound CYB004, which includes a range of deuterated forms of DMT and 5-MeO-DMT. Cybin CEO Doug Drysdale says this development gives his company an edge in creating next-gen drugs using 5-MeO-DMT. Drysdale said in a statement that the USPTO grant adds “strong protection for our growing intellectual property portfolio of psychedelic-based compounds, supporting and protecting the investments that we are making in our CYB004 program.”

*From the article here :