• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

DM - Leeds University most popular institution for drug users as eight out of ten und

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Leeds University most popular institution for drug users as eight out of ten undergraduates admit to trying illicit substances

By Daniel Miller
PUBLISHED: 19:48, 22 May 2013

With reader comments

• Nationally 70% of students admitted trying drugs at least once in their lives
  • Cambridge is least druggy university with 57% students admitting to trying
  • Only 4% of students quizzed said they need drugs to have a good night out
  • Cannabis the most popular drug by far with 68% of students having used it
The vast majority of students at British universities have experimented with drugs with a staggering 85 per cent at one institution admitting to have dabbled with illegal substances, a recent study has found. Leeds university ranked the most popular institution for drugs users in the survey for student magazine Tab, with more than eight out of ten admitting trying them at least once in their lives. Manchester (84 per cent), Liverpool (82 per cent), UCL (82 per cent) and Newcastle (82 per cent), all followed close behind. Nationally, 70 per cent of students admitted trying drugs at least once in their lives, but only four per cent said they needed drugs to have a good night out.

The lowest reported drug use among students was found at Cambridge University where still more than half (57 per cent) of students quizzed said they had taken at least one illicit substance. Rivals Oxford with 67 per cent also come towards the lower end of the list.

Pete Mercer of the National Union of Students said he did not find the result particularly surprising. He told the Times: 'Sometimes drug-use is a one off experiment, sometimes it's longer term recreational use, but sometimes it's a form of self-medication and a way of dealing with other issues. 'It's important that those concerned with student wellbeing consider why students might take drugs and work to support those that are in a potentially vulnerable state.'

More...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...raduates-admit-trying-illicit-substances.html

'It's important that those concerned with student wellbeing consider why students might take drugs'

Because it's FUN!!!

At least that's why I did it at uni and that was way back in the 80s.

'It's important that those concerned with student wellbeing consider why students might take drugs'

Because it's FUN!!!

At least that's why I did it at uni and that was way back in the 80s.

But why would you do drugs for fun if they lower your productivity? I mean come on life is all about being productive and fun does not go with that.

Seriously everyone in my rehab facility says that's why I shouldn't smoke it, excuse me if productivity is not in mind after 9PM