• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

DM - Caffeine is so dangerous that it should be regulated like alcohol and cigarettes

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Caffeine is so dangerous that it should be regulated like alcohol and cigarettes, warns leading expert

By Anna Hodgekiss
PUBLISHED: 13:25, 28 February 2013

• Dr Jack James claims that the stimulant is causing ‘untimely deaths’
  • Says its 'lethality' is being underestimated as it's widely considered harmless
  • But caffeine is now in many everyday foods, drinks, medicines and toiletries, meaning we are unwittingly consuming or exposed to more than we think

Caffeine is so dangerous and is being consumed in such high quantities that it should now be regulated, a leading expert claims. Dr Jack James says that the stimulant is causing ‘untimely deaths’ and that its 'lethality' is being underestimated. Dr James, editor in chief of the Journal of Caffeine Research, and head of the department of psychology at Reykjavik University, Iceland, says he is concerned that the substance is increasingly being added to products such as energy drinks, alcoholic drinks and medicines. As a result, many of us are unwittingly consuming way more than we think - with worrying implications for our health and society as a whole. Dr James believes the risks caffeine poses to our health are so great that products that contain it should be taxed and restricted like cigarettes and alcohol. Sales to children in particular should be restricted. He says that as well as tea and coffee, caffeine is found in fizzy drinks, energy drinks, bottled water, alcoholic drinks (such as Tia Maria), cookies, chewing gum, yogurt and flavoured milk. It is also commonly found in cold and flu remedies, weight loss pills, mints, cosmetics, soaps and even tights to aid slimming.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-alcohol-cigarettes-warns-leading-expert.html

Well, it wouldn't hurt to actually have caffeine levels on all caffeine products. So many milligrams per gram of coffee grounds for example.

I dont drink coffee, although I take caffeine pills on occasion, but I find it interesting how caffeine is treated like an angel compared to other drugs. Society would be outraged if the government dared to take away caffeine and tell us what we can and cant put in our bodies.

is it april 1 or am i missing something

I say regulate everything and let people choose to do what they want

If they die from drinking too much coffee then its just a part of natural selection

If they're going to regulate everything else, why should caffeine be the exception? I don't see the big deal.

I wouldn't lose anything. Caffeine is nasty as hell! Peripheral acting stimulant? NO THANKS! :p

It fits the mould. It increases alertness and puts off fatigue. It works with work. Its not too euphoric. It doesn't "mess you up" in normal amounts to any wild degree. It just fits. Until society is ready to slow down... There is no chance of it being controlled to any degree that would really reduce availability to those who might need/use it to stay in a perceived flow...

Society would be outraged if the government dared to take away caffeine and tell us what we can and cant put in our bodies.

So it takes a cup of coffee for people to wake up and see what's been going on for years?

Leaping Gnome

Heh... yeah right. Without easy caffeine this economy will collapse even faster.

If they die from drinking too much coffee then its just a part of natural selection

Bingo, people are always doing stupid shit and dying....best way imo is give ppl the facts and let them decide.

Curious about the Journal of Caffeine Research. Homeopathy bullshit perhaps?

Not saying caffeine is the greatest by any stretch, but a tad overdramatic. To respond to an earlier post, they do put caffeine in soaps to "energize" your morning shower...

I think that this may be an argument to de-regulate alcohol and cigarettes.
If they are no worse than caffeine...

(But alcohol is far worse, and cigs are as well. Actually, caffeine is really very safe, though not as safe as cannabis.)

Caffeine is nasty as hell! Peripheral acting stimulant? NO THANKS! :p

That's your argument? I bet if it was meth you'd be singing hallelujah

I think that this may be an argument to de-regulate alcohol and cigarettes.
If they are no worse than caffeine...

(But alcohol is far worse, and cigs are as well. Actually, caffeine is really very safe, though not as safe as cannabis.)

Actually, no. Weed is very dangerous in a psychological sense for a sub-set of the population.

Last edited:
Weed is very dangerous in a psychological sense for a sub-set of the population.
Very true.
But some people get a racing heart from caffeine, and there is the possibility of lethal overdose...
Hard to say which is safer, maybe.