DJing ***FAQ*** methods and techniques, bump often

The length of the mix as far as NRG as Rabbi said tend to be shorter. It really all depends on the structure of the track, and the order you put them in. If you were to mix several tracks by tidy trax you could have fairly long mixes (for hard house anyway). Like Rabbi said also you can tell the breakdowns/buildups by looking at the record. With Tidy Trax for example (mainly cause i have just about every record by them) have only one maybe two builds or breaks (or shiny areas, if you will) on the record. Like i said the length of it will really depend on the records, as far as, how long does your next track go before it's first build. A good way to get a feel for it is after the main build up drops back into the song , wait till the end of the first stanza of 8 and drop the first beat of your next track. Again like Rabbi said, you really can't go wrong with 8's, essp. w/house. From there you can determine where exactlly is the best spot to drop it to make them run together smoothly. You may have to wait 8 more, maybe 16. Just play with it and you'll see. It makes alot more sense when you do it.

Do you all ever use the gains on your mixer...? Is it a necessity to do while you are mixing or does it depend on the way you feel more comfortable in mixing? What is the advantage if you use these 2 gains?

i just use the gain on the incoming record to try to match the input volume so one isn't alot louder than the other.
a question: once i get the beats matched, and i bring the needle back to the beginning of a track, the tempo's are a little different. is this the same for everyone, or are my tables fucked up, or do i just suck? it's just a little bit, but mixing trance, i always have to adjust the pitch in the middle of the mix.

That happens to me no matter what tables I play on. 1200 MkII's or M3D's or even shitty Gemini's So. . .I couldn't tell ya.

Hey hey hey now...my gemini pt2400's work just fine for me, and i have no regrets about them, but then again I know those belt drive geminis must be shitty, although i never tried a belt drive turntable.

s-9, that happens to me a lot, I find that I'm not jumpstarting it perfectly. Usually a little push/pull on the record will fix it quite quickly.
And I don't think I have ever, ever mixed through a song without adjusting the pitch in the middle of the mix (although i've only been playing a little over two months), but i have to make constant adjustments to keep the beats matched. the trick is to do it quick enough so that no one else notices they were coming off
wink.gif

dave

whoa.. after reading this i feel a tad better about myself.. I just started mixing about a month ago. Played around before then but didnt have tables to play with 24/7. Now that i live with my pal, i hvae access to mk3d1200's a 600 mixer and a bad ass jbl monitor.
I started messing around more and more last month and I had never read this thread before today. I started mixing and throwing the treble out on the mix i would bring in and then fadding it in when i sounded right. I would pitch bend coming in and out. The only problem i still have EVERYDAY is that most tracks (i spin tech.hard.darkstep jungle) start out nice and slow with a snare beat easy to recognize. But then, about 30 seconds before it blows up, another snare will kick in that is WAY off... I dont know yet how to recognize that beat up front and match *IT* to the track already playing. does that make sense?
See it will go like this... song going hard mix comes in with another track... everything is fine and dandy and then.. TAP TAP TAP TAPTAP TAP TAP TAP... TRAINWRECK... and this is at a time way before i want to take the other track out.
im still REAL new to this so if i sound stupid as all get out.. thats why
oh yeah.. i think i forgot to ask... any suggestions?
smile.gif

If you are having to adjust your pitch in the middle of a mix it is just due to your beat match being slightly off. No big deal as long as you fix it quickly before it's noticable. Actually, if you get into pitch bending this is the way all your mixes will be. Takes way too much time to perfectly set the pitch, and if you're really good at it, your beat will never get off enough to be noticable. But I wouldn't recommend this until you're *really* proficient at beatmatching.
------------------
Fuck PLUR! It's all about hardcore assfucking!--The stuck-up 8ups
Just remember, I can delete you--Spencer

i can beatmatch good. i'll get them matched for a significant amount of time, but when i go back to the beginning of the the track to fade it in, the beats separate quicker than they did when i was matching them the first time. is that just the way it is when you pick up the needle, and bring it back to the beginning. i'm thinking difference in rpm just because the needle is at a point on the record where the diameter is different than it was when i matched them originally.

Good hypothesis sketch, but the rpms are the same... the 'linear velocity' however IS different (ahhh, pre-calculus). I notice that too by the way.
To answer a question thats a ways up, i do use my gains. While track A is playing, i bring in track B with its gain a little bit down. After B's channel fader is all the way up, i start to increase B's gain while reducing A's gain. That way the volume doesnt double when both tracks are playing and then go really quiet when a comes out.
Clip, it just sounds like your records arent matched properly. The point at which it trainwrecks might just be the point where they are out of sync enough that you notice.

Good hypothesis sketch, but the rpms are the same... the 'linear velocity' however IS different (ahhh, pre-calculus). I notice that too by the way.
To answer a question thats a ways up, i do use my gains. While track A is playing, i bring in track B with its gain a little bit down. After B's channel fader is all the way up, i start to increase B's gain while reducing A's gain. That way the volume doesnt double when both tracks are playing and then go really quiet when a comes out.
Clip, it just sounds like your records arent matched properly. The point at which it trainwrecks might just be the point where they are out of sync enough that you notice.

I have no clue why that happens. It is a pain in the ass though. I guess that is what seperates the men from the boys...realtime corrections.

As far as I know, if moving the needle to a point on the outside of the record has any effect on the pitch, it's minimal. I wouldn't think that would affect your match.
Remember that you've been pushing/pulling the record tiny amounts (or basically the same thing using the pitch slider) to get the incoming record layered perfectly from where you originally dropped it in. That means that even if you have it matched, you may have to do some slight finessing after re-dropping the record. Just because it stays matched for a long time doesn't mean that you have it matched perfectly, you almost never will. What sounds matched to you could be slightly off, but you can't tell because one beat is inside the other, i.e. one beat is slightly shorter/longer than the one you're matching it to. When you drop the record in, it's not hitting at exactly the same moment as it was before, so it will start to gallop at different periods.
Practice the pitch-slide technique. This works wonders. It's how I learned to beatmatch in the first place. It fixes errors extremely quickly, and it also allows you to rough-match the records extremely quickly (think like 10 seconds).
dave
------------------
http://www.kdvs.org:8080/ramgen/Archive/archive/DaveSteinwedel.rm

The difference in RPM because of the needle placement is so negligable that I don't think it affects BPM (it would only change it ever so slightly--although eventually that will affect it). It may be that because you've been adjusting the pitch/record, it will be in a slighty different phase when you restart it.
When you restart the record, is it significantly off (like doesn't match at all) or barely off? It should be the latter.
Practice using the pitch slide technique to bring it in phase quickly. You should only need to make the silghtest of adjustments to get it back in pitch.
This method seriously works so well. From first starting a record, I can get a rough match in 10-30 seconds (i only started about 2 months ago). And the more you practice, the quicker you can refine it. It works f-in miracles.
dave
------------------
http://www.kdvs.org:8080/ramgen/Archive/archive/DaveSteinwedel.rm

I would worry about wearing out the pitch adjustments on my techs using that method. Moving it quickly and frequently that is.