DJ Etiquette when starting a set at event?

Wunderkind

Bluelighter
I was just wondering, if anyone could give me advice on mixing out of the next DJs set.

MY main questions are this:

1. Is it ok to mix out of the set seamlessly? (If possible.) Or should you just let their record run out, even if they are transitionable.

2. Is it alright to touch another DJs record, such as doing a spin back, or scratching on it, or other manner of manipulation.

Thanks for the help. Any other random advice would be greatly appreciated as I am soon going to be performing and do not want to create the chance for faux pas.

I always mix out... even if being announced my an MC...

If I am headlinding, I stop the record...

If you scratch with any of my records, I'd beat your ever lovin ass right there in the booth. That being said, I'd just stop the turntable and point at it itll he picks it up, or asks me to.

i stop the record regardless. i usually have a "purposemaker" tune to start my sets either with some witty vocal or hard as nails beat dropped, and i find the effect is gone when u mix it into another tune. usually will ask the previous dj to either take the record or direct me as to what sleeve it belongs to in his bag.

plus theres usually some house guy before me. hard acid techno doesn't mix to well with deep chicago house

who is the "smart guy" that made the line-up with you following someone who spins chill, deep chicago house?:\

~C

Probably the same guy that let Theo (is that the jackasses name) follow me last wednesday.

OUCH. ;)

just playing man, you do a good job.

hey man...as much of a pain in the ass it is..I have to let him play on the nights when he wants to. All the gay guy's love him;)

~C

I guess that changes on Sept. 1 when that place is straight again.

Tell that lying bastard that he can get a job, and learn to beatmatch. :D

lmao...

Gay guys loved it when I brought George Acosta to Kansas City :D

Gay guy all like trance... is that a coincedence? :)

i usually let the previous' dj's record play out, even if its mixable. Like someone stated earlier, i always pick out the first record im gonna play, and i want it to make an impact and let everyone know a new dj is on the decks.

just do this (ala sasha)

take a badass sample from a track that is beatmatch friendly...just a breakdown or acid sample, something catchy but good that you could listen to forever...loop the bitch in the cd deck (preferably cdj-1000)...let it run for a bit until the beat of the other track runs out, now heres the fun part...match your next track to this loop asap, and now FUCK with the loop...hit the effects, eq's, volume, whatever, just keep this awesome loop going...your next track should be something that builds nicely...put it in with no bass and just keep your loop playing while you tease the audience with a beat...eventually give them the beat, leave your loop in through the whole rekkid...you will completely overshadow the dj before you just with this mix...sasha does it all the time :)

have fun

you will completely overshadow the dj before you just with this mix

The contest is over now Adam. A club night, or party (for a dj) is not about overshadowing the guy before you. Its about working together to create a good, flowing night of music. No matter what kind it is:\

Sorry to sound flamish, its just that there is nothing more I hate than a dj who cares about nothing more than themselves, what time slot they get etc. etc.

~C

mix out of the record, unless previous djs have stopped altogether, but i find that to be a pain in the ass.. mix out if you can.. but DONT touch anyone elses' records unless you want your kneecaps broken....

Code~613 said:
The contest is over now Adam. A club night, or party (for a dj) is not about overshadowing the guy before you. Its about working together to create a good, flowing night of music. No matter what kind it is

different things mean different things to different people. there's no 'right' and 'wrong' here...

alasdair

never ever ever ever touch another djs track. I ended a set with brown acid one time, and the next dj thought it he was gonna fuck around with it and started to touch my record. i damn near tackled his ass like that linebacker in the reebok commercial. a man's record is like a man's woman. look but dont t hink of touching

if you do pick up his record pick it up on the out side of the record a hand on each side not touching the grooves and do whatever you fuckin feel like doin after he is done just dont scratch or spin back

I can understand out of total respect that you treat another dj's equipment and music with complete care. But personally I wouldnt have any problem with someone, touching the grooves or spinning back my vinyl .... It gets enough abuse from me as is and it holds up pretty well :)

yeah...i guess I would'nt mind if a dj wanted to do some scratching with my rekkids. Providing they knew what they were doing. I dont want some jackass tearing up my wax thinking they know how to scratch:\

~C