• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Diphenyhramine/Promethazine/Hydroxyzine - Best/worst?

pally pete

Bluelighter
Hello there everybody!

Which 1st generation antihistamine has the least undesireable side-effects/Best potentiation? I've got Diphenydramine 25mg capsules, 15mg Promethazine tablets, 25mg Hydroxyzine tablets and Promethazine syrup.

I've always found Diphenhydramine dry me out quite a bit even at only a 25mg dose. I use them alongside Oxycontin (OC's). To stop the itch and apparently potentiate the Oxy. I've also used Promethazine at doses of around 15-30mg dose and they seems slightly less anticholinergic and the Hydroxyzine seem probably the most easy on me.

Even though I've done my research on them does anybody else know of any other unwanted side effects. I used to always use Cimetidine or Grapefruit juice and Tonic Water for the Quinine. But my Liver has taken a battering so I've decided to not use the Cimetidine or Grapefruit or Tonic water.

Do any of the antihistamines give your liver a hard time? I know Oxy alone, too much, too often is bad for your Liver anyway.

Also does anybody find eating 'Tums' or something similar which are 500mg Effervescent Tablets (Calcium Carbonate 300mg/Calcium gluconolactate 2940mg) About 10 - 20 minutes before helps the Oxy in any way?

I currently use 160mg Oxy per dose, crushed into powder and taken orally with a soft drink or cup of hot tea.

Thanks for reading. ;)

DPH is best for light potentiation but if itching is an issue then hydroxyzine is your best choice. Promethazine is very sedating but if you're seeking "the nod" with oxy then it may be of better value. No known liver toxicity with these meds at therapeutic dosage. Going above labeled dosage for your intended use is not recommended, as all these drugs can trigger akathisia attacks which are insanely unpleasant and that's putting it mildly. Akathisia can be stopped with a potent quick-acting benzo, ideally temazepam, so get some if you intend higher dosing of those first-gen antihistamines/antipsychotics. Better safe than sorry.

As you can see all have their specific qualities, depends on what you seek most.

DPH is best for light potentiation but if itching is an issue then hydroxyzine is your best choice. Promethazine is very sedating but if you're seeking "the nod" with oxy then it may be of better value. No known liver toxicity with these meds at therapeutic dosage. Going above labeled dosage for your intended use is not recommended, as all these drugs can trigger akathisia attacks which are insanely unpleasant and that's putting it mildly. Akathisia can be stopped with a potent quick-acting benzo, ideally temazepam, so get some if you intend higher dosing of those first-gen antihistamines/antipsychotics. Better safe than sorry.

As you can see all have their specific qualities, depends on what you seek most.
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I forgot to say thanks for your imput. It's very much appreciated.

I do like the nod but on far too many ocassions I've gone past the nod and just passed out and woke up hours later feeling robbed! As I didn't get to enjoy my Oxy.

Tonight I have just taken 30mg DXM (Apparently this stops tolerance to Oxy from building up), 25mg Hydroxyzine, 15mg Promethazine, 600mg Cimetidine, 660ML Tonic water (Quinine) and 300mg Pregabalin which I use anyway for Anxiety. I also take 30mg Diazepam per day but I've not taken that today as I don't want to pass out and I foolishly binged last night on the Diazepam and took around 150mg so that will still be active in my system anyway.

Have a good night everyone. It's probably day time everywhere else but it's 10PM here.

Have fun and stay safe ;)

I now plan to take 200mg Oxycontin (OC's) crushed up into powder and taken orally with a drink.

You probably already know this and it's not a direct answer to your question ...
An almost empty tummy to start, and a high fat, low volume snack taken just before/with/just after your OC is the best potentiator of all, IMO . Several studies concluded potentiating pushing 40%.
Examples might be a chocolate bar, or a fried egg, or a couple pieces of bacon.

I would say Diphenhydramine. Promethazine for takes much longer to reach full affect and leaves me with a much longer drowsy hangover the whole of the next day.I have never tried Hydroxyzine. DPH can cause dry mouth but thats what gum is for :)
Are you using it for recreation, sleep or antihistamine? Personally I used them to help me sleep they are way to drowsy for much else imo.

Quick question guys (new on here so I have no idea if I'm doing this right or I'm on the right thread etc)

300mg Diphenydramine (Benadryl) and 50mg Promethazine (Phernergan)
1) Safe together?
2) Effects?
3) Decent dose?
4) Different doses better?

I've taken 50mg Promethazine and up to 500mg Diphenydramine a few times seperatley and have had no bad side effects but I've never taken them together before so any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated xxx

I would call Hydroxyzine the best for Opioid potentiation with Promethazine coming in at number 2 and Diphenhydrinate coming in at number 3. Promethazine is more sedating then Hydroxyzine but Hydroxyzine is better at increasing the actual euphoria.