• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Diphenidine - Experienced - ~300mg

To propose a new theory such as opioid activity in diphenidine you need hints, not facts. Facts come from putting that theory to the test in the lab.

Generally a very good post, but for the idea of opioid activity in diphenidine I don't think any anecdote is needed. There are compounds like MT-45 that apparently go in an opioid direction, while there are also overlapping regions of dissociative drugs having activity on transporters.
So with a little bit of SAR theory you can come up with a number of receptors to screen for affinity, and it is probably smart to do a wide sweep anyway. Because of those overlaps some MOAs are just more 'suspicious' i.e. likely to be present as 'secondary' action than others. At the same time unless I'm mistaken it can be unpredictable and a compound may for example just coincidentally be an allosteric modulator at some site of a receptor that we weren't expecting.

I appreciate that experiences can fuel hypotheses, but it is also very tricky and tempting to read too much into certain sensations and making incorrect conclusions and assumptions. Which is why I don't think that the emphasis should be on ambiguity and ideas fueling what should be substantial theory and empirical data...

But, I just mean to suggest a word of warning, not a tsunami of criticism on the community or the vice docu's. We are involving ourselves in a very complex field and to some extent it is unavoidable that we try to find a match between the science and what we experience.

My only concern about the speculative pharmacology that appears on bluelight is that it can distort the way people report qualitative effects. For example, instead of simply saying that x psychedelic is stimulating they might say "x psychedelic acts like a dopamine reuptake inhibitor" or instead of saying they feel euphoria they might say "seems to act as a serotonin/dopamine releaser" or "seems to act as a µ-agonist." Using speculated drug-receptor interactions as a simplistic shorthand for qualitative effects is often a misleading exercise. It doesn't do justice to the complexity of one's subjective experience or the objective methods of pharmacology, in essence it can be the worst of both worlds. This is not to say people shouldn't speculate and I am certainly guilty of it myself, but I think it's not the most useful way to conceptualize a drug effect in the absence of binding data.

If you read PIHKAL and TIHKAL you will see that Shulgin did very little speculation about pharmacodynamics, instead he made a point of rigorously observing his own response to a compound: His heart rate, appetite, erectile function, pupil dilation, etc. Because of this Shulgin's research is timeless, it will never be dated or obsolete. If Shulgin had been using the prevalent in vitro methods of his day (such as inhibition of twitch response in isolated strips of Guinea-pig ileum) his data would be borderline worthless––and if he had been using the (now obsolete) terminology from those methods as shorthand for his own experience it would have been even worse. We cannot accurately identify pharmacodynamic interactions in our own brain, if things were that easy then there would be no need for electrophysiology or autoradiography or really most of pharmacology as a science.

crOOk said:
When I said "Hamilton" isn't a valid source I was simply saying this because your work is released on either your blog or vice articles neither of which are adequately peer-reviewed to serve as valid sources. I will stick to this statement and hope you will agree to some degree. An article like the one you linked (which I have yet to read entirely) is without a doubt a valid source.
Peer-review is notoriously flawed and subject to reviewer bias, anyone who has spent a good chunk of their life reading (or contributing to) the scientific literature will have no trouble pointing out errors printed in high-impact journals. As a whole scientific literature is certainly a better source for information on drugs than the news media, but each have their strengths and many of the weaknesses in both have a similar origin (a desire to impress readers and reviewers, a desire to publish frequently, a desire to align oneself with social mores, simple human error). It's ironic that you are complaining so much about the shortcomings of non-academic writing and yet seem unwilling to actually read the scholarly journals you treat as the only source of valid information. The answer to all your questions about the pharmacodynamics of MXE have existed in the ACMD literature since 2012, when they were reported by Brain Roth of NIMH's Psychoactive Drug Screening Program, his results were further reported in PLoS ONE: to reiterate MXE does not have MOR affinity below 10,000 nM.

Science should be treated as a method not an abstract symbol of Truth or a talisman to ward off anything that doesn't appear on pubmed. There are things published in Vice that have definite scientific importance but would not be printed in scientific journals (cf. the article "Sea DMT"). Now I write for Harper's and the New York Times Magazine, my next article will contain a broth microdilution assay to determine the MIC of amfonelic acid against E. coli, are the results invalid because they will be published in a literary magazine? The next peer-reviewed article I contributed to, which is currently in press, details the analytical characterization of diphenidine but all the authors learned about diphenidine from non-scholarly sources, does that invalidate our findings? Useful information is everywhere if you have the critical ability to recognize it.
crOOk said:
I did however stumble across the termal decomposition results you present. When I first watched the video I was wondering about the relevance of this product since it formed under conditions that are nothing like smoking. I would've liked to at least hear some details about the results and the conditions other than "oil bath 250°C", e.g. how long was the substance exposed to the oil bath and how much of the efavirenz was converted during that time. Repeating the microwave trial I remember from earlier in the video and analyzing the product would seem to be of more interest, since simulating the conditions of smoking the drug in a pipe yielded no result and the microwave processing step is crucial according to the "manufacturers".
I also wish more could have been included on that experiment, and I am hoping to publish the decomposition data independently. I fight very hard to include as much scientific information as possible, which is difficult when the videos are intended to appeal to millions of viewers, that said you have complained repeatedly about it being "90% entertainment" when it contains the most complete portrait of the psychedelic effects of efavirenz in humans yet created. It includes interviews with street users, chemical analysis of street samples, a description of the psychedelic effects from a medical doctor who conducted self-experiments, interviews with dealers who use the drug professionally as an adulterant, a review of the pharmacodynamics and behavioral effects in rodents (with unpublished footage of the HTR at 1000 frames/sec), thermal decomposition via two different routes, hypotheses regarding the role of expectation and the placebo effect from a UN drug researcher and an anthropologist, and my own description of the drug's qualitative effects at 900mg. If you took all this as pure entertainment then I suppose I should be flattered.
crOOk said:
...you [do not] follow any guidelines for the trials you conduct (single dose, single subject, not double blind, not placebo-controlled, blah blah)
If you think humans ingesting psychoactives and reporting on their effect without a double blind placebo control is invalid then make sure to dismiss everything in bluelight, erowid, PIHKAL and TIHKAL as well as most of information gathered by ethnobotanists and anthropologists. Randomized controlled trials are extremely important, but they are not the only valid measure of a drug's effect.

Last edited:
Nice response man. :) Nice to see you posting here again, even just a bit.

so in the context of the need for good data on relatively novel dissociative drugs, i just wanted to point out that it would be good if we understand better how these substances work and at this time we should realize the confusion and incorrect info that seems to be circulating and propagating.

It can be very pro hr to consider the possibility of these drugs having some suspected pharmacodynamics such as mor or monoamine reuptake activity, so that for example some ways of using them or combining them may be avoided. (just look at the mxe combinations thread, indeed it does suggest relatively complex pharmacology of the compound and/or its metabolites - it's begging for explainations). But on the other hand i think skepticism is healthy and we need to be careful about what we suggest and claim, because people are clearly happy to copy claims as fact and let them accrue credibility out of thin air. Especially if those claims are fantastical though agreeable ideas like a lot of dmt and pineal gland theorizing.
qft!

@Hamilton
I see where this is going. I'm not with you on the quotes. You made some very valid points, but you can debate and boast all you want, I will still not call vice articles valid sources. There is no place on earth where I could more reliably find factual errors than inside the vice magazine. Not in an 8th graders math test, not on the North Korean news broadcast, no place whatsoever. So vice articles are not a valid source imho. That's what this discussion is about, isn't it? It's not just hurt egos causing a long multi-quote game of pong trying to discredit one another and juggle with words, right? Sure it is no problem pointing out errors in articles printed in high impact journals and sure you've written a lot of very interesting articles for vice, the sea dmt article being one of them. Still information from that and similar articles should not be represented as facts before it has been thoroughly reviewed. Also, in a magazine where gonzo journalism and informative articles are mixed, when should a reader know how seriously information was taken when the article he is looking at was written?

Last edited:
Also, in a magazine where gonzo journalism and informative articles are mixed, when should a reader know how seriously information was taken when the article he is looking at was written?

When you're on the internet you're always supposedly filtering information using your brain powers and knowledge and whatnot. I remember how fellow scientists were jokingly saying "source: twitter" when they didn't have the journal references handy. If you think any communication platform such as pubmed or whatnot is infallible, you are insane. The data you read on teh internets is all the works of men. Greedy, flawed, easily corruptible men (and women).

EDIT: I just want to add that the combo of vaped diphenidine and inhaled diethyl ether is insane!!!! Major Tom to ground control, I'm stepping through the door....

I like vice reports and for example how the efivirenz item was set up and investigated is very decent. Hamilton can be proud. It´s nonsense to have unrealistic expectations of it to be perfect and absolutely hermetic, especially since it is a fringe subject and there is not an entire industry behind it.

Some of what drives it is pure curiosity and this is a trait shared by many researchers, peer reviewed scientific authors and pop journalists alike. But yeah another part of it is sensationalism, this is unavoidable and I guess it is fine, it can often help to make the items more impressive and interesting to watch... though of course some of the time it is more transparent than at others.

IMO crook is being a little bitter, but the point he has that is lurking underneath is that if it is not peer reviewed literature and other media, the ´peer review´ that does still happen is more informal and may be less reliable. As long as that is understood, it seems fine to me.

When you're on the internet you're always supposedly filtering information using your brain powers and knowledge and whatnot. I remember how fellow scientists were jokingly saying "source: twitter" when they didn't have the journal references handy. If you think any communication platform such as pubmed or whatnot is infallible, you are insane.
I never said that and if you know other posts of mine you should know that I'm highly critical of whichever article I read. When claims are made in an abstract, the first thing I try to do is look for flaws and mistakes. Sometimes a look at who funded the study is even more revealing. This doesn't change the fact, that these articles are still the best we got and surely much more thoroughly reviewed than vice articles lol.

It's plain wrong to rub into my face that articles printed in high-impact journals contain errors caused by carelessness or some agenda the authors had just because I pointed out that vice articles are not peer reviewed and not backing up their claims by listing sources or thoroughly explaining the methods they used to come to certain conclusions. The flaws in the former don't change anything about the fact that there are very profound flaws in the latter that make them unsuitable for e.g. proving to me that MXE has MOR affinity, even if Hamilton might know his shit very well.

Sure I could have looked up the article and moved on to his source (he does list an author for his source) to see what's behind those claims. Ironically it is stated in the article that "3-MeO-PCP and 3-MeO-PCE are simply incredible drugs. They have a true capacity for healing, as the 3-methoxy group infers µ-opioid receptor affinity [3]" and it then states at 3 that the activity is insignificant. This insignificant mu opioid activity first serves as an arguement to stress how awesome these chemicals are when really there is no truth to it. It's also not just the 3-Methoxy group that causes this activity which everyone will know who has a rough idea of how ligands dock to their target proteins (the author included!). In the end to really be credible these claims in e.g. vice articles would usually have to list a peer-reviewed article as source, so why go through them first? (unless they conducted the experiments themselves like in the efavirenz article or are based on anecdotes nowhere else to be found like the sea dmt article)

IMO crook is being a little bitter, but the point he has that is lurking underneath is that if it is not peer reviewed literature and other media, the ´peer review´ that does still happen is more informal and may be less reliable. As long as that is understood, it seems fine to me.
That's all, exactly. And "may be less reliable" is a huge understatement eventhough some of Hamilton's articles are very good. I'm also not saying I didn't enjoy the video to some extent and surely he can be proud of it, but I would still prefer the subject to be treated a different way instead. From what I gathered, so would he.

And yes I agree I'm a little bitter here (well observed), partly because I have seen tons of misinformation in the vice and partly because in all honesty I have a grudge against Hamilton as a person, not as an author. On the other hand I would say that a lot more people would agree to my opinion if it wasn't Hamilton we were talking about here who stepped in to save his name, rightfully so. Say, if we were talking about wired magazine or the sun^^.

Last edited:
I think we're all on the same page here (no pun intended). Sure, there is more truth in peer reviewed journals than vice documentaries.

I ended up getting some more diphenidine. I really do enjoy it very much as long as I don't mix it with that horrible, horrible ethylphenidate that I did very well to throw away. I was thinking about all this discussion we're having here, and to be honest I have no idea if it has opioid activity. Like I said before, it's just an educated guess. All I know is that it's wildly euphoric and has surprisingly few side effects that I know of.

On a side note, as I mentioned before I tried the diphenidine + diethyl ether combo which was like flying through space at high velocity, everything around me was semi-transparent and I could see the stars and galaxies through all the other stuff. I would confuse distances and shapes throughout the night, at some points I felt thin like a stick figure, or fat and huge like the marshmallow man from ghost busters. At one point as I lay in bed I stretched my hand and effortlessly grabbed the andromeda galaxy and pulled it further close to our own galaxy just because I wanted to hug it <3 lol.

On a side note, as I mentioned before I tried the diphenidine + diethyl ether combo which was like flying through space at high velocity, everything around me was semi-transparent and I could see the stars and galaxies through all the other stuff. I would confuse distances and shapes throughout the night, at some points I felt thin like a stick figure, or fat and huge like the marshmallow man from ghost busters. At one point as I lay in bed I stretched my hand and effortlessly grabbed the andromeda galaxy and pulled it further close to our own galaxy just because I wanted to hug it <3 lol.
Did you combine the ether with smoked diphenidine? You mentioned that is very reenforcing for you, for how long did you keep smoking/huffing?

Whenever I did diethylether in the past I had a very hard time stopping before passing out. After a few huffs I'd get a headache and the only thing that brought relief would be another huff, so I'd keep going until I'd find sleep, all covered in drool. I also found the smell to be problematic if I have to interact with other people on the same or even the next day.

I can imagine how it might be a very powerful combination though, never tried to combine it with any dissociatives.

I have kinda laid off the diphenidine for now, it just seems way to hard to control my actions when I'm on it. I always take a lot of precautions, e.g. I put up a note on my scale to remind me that it is NOT a good idea to redose another full dose or I'd remove the battery from my cell and put them into different places or I'd remove the key from the door, all simply to remind me that my sober self advises me not to do certain things. Still each and every time I find myself breaking all the rules I've set and last time this resulted in me being sick until the next day, repeatedy vomiting. I also spilled 1.5 liters of water onto my bed which sucked. These are all things that I would never do on ketamine or pcp, eventhough the latter is sort of disinhibiting in it's own way.

As much as I've enjoyed high dose oral diphenidine, I'm really afraid of who I become when I'm on it. It's doing more than just disinhibiting me, it gives me some genuinely stupid ideas. The last redose during my last trip was instructed by some evil professor lol. I knew exactly it was way too much while I weighed it out, but there seemed to be some sinister force inside me driving me to do it which manifested as said evil professor who was apparently conducting experiments on me.

Well, it would be impossible for me to say how long and how much. All I know is I vaped a good amount of diphenidine (by the way when I vape it's nothing as horrible as what you describe with the oral route) and I inhaled the fumes from my jar of diethyl ether about five or ten times.

Ether is a somewhat nastier drug, and not particularly safe I suppose, but I never got a headache or hangover from it. But then again I was careful not to get too carried away. I had only good times with it. Maybe you're somehow doing it wrong?

Ether is a somewhat nastier drug, and not particularly safe I suppose, but I never got a headache or hangover from it. But then again I was careful not to get too carried away. I had only good times with it. Maybe you're somehow doing it wrong?
I doubt that. There's not much to it lol. I used to soak some tissue in it, place it in a container, open the container and inhale, very simple. I just lacked self control. The headache would only show after I had already used much more than I planned to use. Every single time I did ether I kept doing it for the rest of the day.

love your work Hamilton i'll most likely have some quesstions for you. but quickly, what do you think of MXE, do you enjoy it?