• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Diphenhydramine - Long Term (Ab)use

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperString

Greenlighter
Hey there!

My name is Tuesday, and i am 36 years old. I am taking high doses of Diphenhydramine on a daily basis for about 6 years now. At first, i took it because i really enjoyed the trips (yeah, i know most people dislike it). Then i have found that taking DPH throughout the day does help vastly with my existence in reality. For me DPH is a therapeutic drug, and for that reason i'm taking between 700 and 1500 mg/day.

I am aware of the potential dangers of long term use of DPH. I think i am well informed and i don't have a need for assistance/counselling in that regard.

My actual request is just to find people who share the same habit of taking DPH chronically, for exchange of experiences and the like. If you are taking DPH long-term please private message me (if you'd like to talk about it).

Also, if anyone here in the forum is interested in whatever piece of information i can give, i will. Just ask.

Please don't try and talk me out of it. It won't happen. ;)

With Regards
Tuesday

Benadryl as a therapeutic medicine? 700-1500mg a day? Jesus Christ man

omg dude i break the advil pm (ibuprofen dyphenhydramine) into halves cause the 37.5 mgs dyphen is too high for me i gotta take 18.75 and sometimes still thats gross ... man a gram ?

Have you experienced any negative effects from taking so much DPH? Any effects on your body?

What exactly are the therapeutic effects it gives you? Do you have any conditions which mean you gain some benefit from taking it chronically??

I've been curious about this as well, though in the 50-75mg/day dosage range, for sleep and H2 related anxiolysis (occasionally preferable to the OTC GABAergic anxiolysis obtained through valerian and the like).
There are some erowid retrospectives on chronic, high dose use- perhaps poke around there. Tolerance to DPH builds pretty quickly, ime, I can see how one could hypothetically use at that level. Not the first time I've heard of it, either; I wish I had more information to offer.
If you feel so inclined, please share your experiences and rational, the community is always in need of that sort of anecdotal data.

My god... I took 100mg once and felt like ass. I understand tolerance but what exactly are gaining out of this? Do you still trip? What do you mean by your existence in reality? Is this a spiritual comment or a physical/mental impairment?

This sounds beyond dangerous. Who knows what long damage you're causing yourself.

What doses did you take originally and at what rate / how long did it take to reach the doses your at now ? Do you suffer from any symptoms similar to HPPD ? Are your sleep patterns still normal ?

There is nothing to gain from flaming you and I have no intention of passing judgement as you are not entering into this behavior. If you are still here I am serious about my questions.

The longest I used diphenhydramine for was 2 months every night for sleep. I ended up getting to a dose of 250mg just to help me sleep. The withdrawals were very very shitty it's the worst case of akathisia I've ever had, it was very painful. Plus I couldn't sleep or if I did it was very poor sleep. You should taper off of your dose slowly.

I start. Acting like its fear and loathing in loss vegas sweating and clearpy greatly disturbed at 250 mg. So your saying 30-60 a day? Like twelve over 24 hours ive found can improve my mood

^im not sure how people can enjoy that feeling. It's all the feelings of being disturbed without any quality hallucinations other psychedelic drugs would produce, other then seeing shadow people out of the corner of your eyes.

I took large doses of this and Dramamine on a semi daily basis back in like 05. I still have slight visual distortions from using this drug. I've used a lot if them(drugs) and I can't think of another that has done more long term damage than large doses of this. I'd quit. Just smoke some weed, that in itself can get pretty trippy and deep coupled with the right mindset and environment.

To all the people wondering why anyone would do this: there is a pretty sweet yet dangerous euphoric sweet spot amongst all the dysphoria. At some point you realize you've been walking and talking with people for 30mins only to blink and be by yourself. Or searching the house for the non-existent Jazz music in my head. It's all like a wicked sort of funny at the time when you come to but the cotton mouth alone...I wish I never tried this before I tried cough syrup lol.

Last edited:
This is in no way safe, and OP is almost certainly trolling. If not, you're going to kill yourself if you continue with that habit.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.