• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Dilaudid vs Oxy

zootedpkz

Greenlighter
Hey everyone I’m in the hospital after breaking my left Femur... broke my right femur last April absolutely unreal. I’ve been getting 4mg Dilaudid every 4 hours for pain relief no longer IV. Should I try to switch over to 10mg of oxy? I’ve heard Dilaudid isn’t very effective orally. But the conversion charts say that 4mg Dilaudid is equal to 13mg Oxy. Any input is appreciated, I just want to be as comfortable as possible. Thanks!

I would strongly reccomend you add an NSAID such as naproxen (my preference), ibuprofen, ketorolac or the like. Most studies show that the combination of a NSAID and an opioid is much more effective than either alone. And curiously, opioids alone are actually not very good painkillers.

Oxy has a higher bioavailability when taken orally and they both have about the same duration of effect. It really comes down to personal preference. What relieves pain the best for you and what are the doctors most willing to prescribe?. For me personally Dilaudid>Oxy.

Agreed. I prefer Dilaudid over Oxy but either should be sufficient enough. If your really worried and in serious pain, you can always tell your doc the Dilaudid isn't doing much and try to hold off a few days and that'll give you extra pain pills since he will probably see those as ineffective and prescribe you a whole new set of pain pills.