• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids dilaudid trouble

leetron

Greenlighter
Hey guy's, I'm new here but I always come to Bluelight when I have questions about things. I had to make an account because I really couldn't find an answer to the question I have. If this isn't the right place to post this I do apologize. So, I recently started shooting up. I have a really high tolerance to opiates been on them for a long time due to a injury but enough about that. Okay so I prepared my shot like i always do it was a dilaudid 8mg i was really sick at the time so i may have rushed it. I used hot but not boiling water shaked it and sucked up with a filter made sure there was no cotton on the tip and did my shot shortly after i started feeling the rush but I became really hot my face turned red and so did my eyes and my heart rate shot up i could feel it beating in my head a little bit I had to go outside to cool off while sipping on a cold glass of water about 5-6 mins it went away and i was pretty content. that being said it was pretty frighting now im probably not gonna shoot up anymore and will probably just go back to snorting like it literally frightened the shit out of me enough to burn all my needles bands and cookers etc..has anyone ever experienced this? sorry if this is all cluttered but anywho Cheers!

That sounds like a histamine reaction. Try taking some benedryl. I very much could be wrong though as I haven't IV'd since '96

Hmm it could be but I've shot so many of them and this is the first time it ever happened my buddy said it could of been too hot the water i used had me worried tho

It may have just been a dirty shot. That's happened to me a few times.. Sometimes it makes you sick as a dog and other times you just feel hot/ill/uncomfortable.

To help avoid this, make sure your rig, cooker, etc are clean and preferably new. Also there is no need to heat the shot. It just destroys your dope. I hope you have a better experience next time :)

So weird how I've done soooo many and then bam dirty shot although I did use an old cooker but I did clean all the black off the bottom and cleaned it out I was doing morphine the day before never do that again

Yeah if you heat it not only does it destroy the dope, but it dissolves fillers and other crud you don't want in your veins. The dilaudid will dissolve in cold water :)

Thanks for the info peach I know I said I burned all my shit but it was easy for me to get more rigs did exactly what you said and the 12mg shot I did a few min ago felt more powerful than when I use hot water not sure if it was a metal trick but all gooood

No problem :)

We have a mega thread dedicated to IV drug use with plenty of useful info, I'd post a link but my phone is being a shit.. You should be able to find it with the search engine and check it out.

Sounds like old fashioned cotton fever to me - not sure of the exact cause, but sometimes when using a cotton filter these symptoms happen - been happening to junkies forever. It only lasts a few minutes, too.

Some speculate that it's due to bacteria on the cotton, or mold on the cotton. I honestly don't know, but it happened to me once or twice too.

Sounds like old fashioned cotton fever to me - not sure of the exact cause, but sometimes when using a cotton filter these symptoms happen - been happening to junkies forever. It only lasts a few minutes, too.

Some speculate that it's due to bacteria on the cotton, or mold on the cotton. I honestly don't know, but it happened to me once or twice too.

You're more likely to get cotton fever if you reuse cottons/filters obviously but most IV users I know are kinda.. unclean when they bang dope. I've gotten it even though I tried to be clean but maybe it just shocks your body sometimes. Perhaps someone else could tell us what can cause it other than germs and such? That would be interesting.

Cotton fever can only last for a short time? I remember I got it a while back and I was very sick for almost 2 days I always use new filters from the u cup pack sometimes I'll reuse the cookers but I always wash them out and clean the soot off and usually boil it and I have only used a dirty needle once but it was from me and I cleaned it and boiled it for a minuet or two that was when I was waiting for my order of clean rigs to come in I usually get about 300 rigs mailed a month although I never go through them all and I give a bunch away to people on the street actually pretty stoked that there is no H here in this province heard tell of it but the source I know says it's not worth the time hahaha

It's really nice of you to give people clean needles! Just be careful, man.

If you stayed sick that long from a dirty shot then that's normal too. It doesn't happen as often but I've made myself pretty sick before.. But I had this terrible habit of reusing needles several times (do NOT do this) but I no longer shoot up..

And definitely stay away from heroin, it's poop. Hell, tar even looks like poop..

Cotton fever can only last for a short time? I remember I got it a while back and I was very sick for almost 2 days I always use new filters from the u cup pack sometimes I'll reuse the cookers but I always wash them out and clean the soot off and usually boil it and I have only used a dirty needle once but it was from me and I cleaned it and boiled it for a minuet or two that was when I was waiting for my order of clean rigs to come in I usually get about 300 rigs mailed a month although I never go through them all and I give a bunch away to people on the street actually pretty stoked that there is no H here in this province heard tell of it but the source I know says it's not worth the time hahaha

2 days? That sounds a little long. I thought it was usually a day at most, but I have never personally experienced it. I've only ever IVed a handful of times though.

Cotton fever doesn't really come from cotton though, bit of a misnomer, it's just bacteria in the shot. Pretty sure you can get it even with an unfiltered shot.

Well i was more sick for the first day but felt a little bit sick on the second day..Yeah fuck H peach and yeah well the town I'm in the closest needle exchange is about 35 minuets away so i just order a bunch and give most of em out along with everything else just not the dope hhahahaha. trying to ween off now tho i realized now that i don't have much pain anymore but I've been on em so long that i have a pretty bad addiction trying to only do enough to get well each day and slowly lower my dose as fucked as it sounds im actually quite afraid to go to the Dr and get on some sort of program due to small town gossip ahhh fuck the struggle is real LOL

Well i was more sick for the first day but felt a little bit sick on the second day..Yeah fuck H peach and yeah well the town I'm in the closest needle exchange is about 35 minuets away so i just order a bunch and give most of em out along with everything else just not the dope hhahahaha. trying to ween off now tho i realized now that i don't have much pain anymore but I've been on em so long that i have a pretty bad addiction trying to only do enough to get well each day and slowly lower my dose as fucked as it sounds im actually quite afraid to go to the Dr and get on some sort of program due to small town gossip ahhh fuck the struggle is real LOL

I feel ya on the "small town syndrome" but if you really want to quit, don't let peoples opinions get in the way. Fuck em!

I've never heard of cotton fever lasting for two days - the few times I thought I had it, it was a short period (few hours at most). Same exact symptoms that the original poster listed, especially the instant flushing/heat (and not in the good 'warm blanket' way, markedly uncomfortable).

I guess it could depend on the type of bacteria/virus/mold causing the issue though.

Sounds like a shot of Talwin I did before I realised they started putting the NX crap in it. Jeesh, as soon as I got the rig out I thought I was going to die right there in my truck. Sweat started pouring down my face and I had to hightail it into the Denny's I was at for the can. It was like 2 days worth of detoxing in 15 to 30 minutes. I never liked the generic K4s for IV either, I used to just pull the plunger, pop a couple in the syringe, add water, shake, and bake, but that was way back in the bad old days. Some mornings I'd do 4 to 6 just to start the day off good. I don't IV these days, and "try" to keep a manageable opiate tolerance. Good luck man, but as stated before, keep your chit clean. I ended up with endocarditis from bad house keeping practices, and you do not want to deal with that. I consider myself lucky that's that is the only real issue I ever got.

Sounds like a shot of Talwin I did before I realised they started putting the NX crap in it. Jeesh, as soon as I got the rig out I thought I was going to die right there in my truck. Sweat started pouring down my face and I had to hightail it into the Denny's I was at for the can. It was like 2 days worth of detoxing in 15 to 30 minutes. I never liked the generic K4s for IV either, I used to just pull the plunger, pop a couple in the syringe, add water, shake, and bake, but that was way back in the bad old days. Some mornings I'd do 4 to 6 just to start the day off good. I don't IV these days, and "try" to keep a manageable opiate tolerance. Good luck man, but as stated before, keep your chit clean. I ended up with endocarditis from bad house keeping practices, and you do not want to deal with that. I consider myself lucky that's that is the only real issue I ever got.

Yes, endocarditis is one of the worst case scenarios but many would be surprised just how easy it is to get it. One of my old friends had it and it damn near killed her.. (Not my friend anymore cause she banged more than just dope IE my boyfriend)

Anyway.. I'm glad y'all are okay. Never heard of cotton fever/dirty shot killing anyone but I'd imagine its not good for you, and if you get it over and over then you need to be more hygienic when it comes to your IV drug use.

I also agree hot water is not needed. I use fresh spring water, not tap and cold water. Mixes with Dilaudid well and filter and do your thing. I don't think it was a bad reaction but just my opinion. Cold fresh water works for me.