• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Dilaudid for Oxycodone WD

Cake pop

Greenlighter
Hey. New here. So I have a question. I know that Dilaudid has low bioavailability. Does this mean it won’t help with Oxycodone withdrawal? I’m not looking for a high just to stay out of withdrawal for the next 3 days until my med refill.

i take Oxycodone 10mg 3x/day for years. The past couple of weeks I had legitimate increase in pain from traveling so I use a lot of extra tabs. Now I’m 3 days short. Even cutting down to 7.5 mg three times a day puts me in a tolerable with drawl. I have Dilaudid 2mg tabs leftover from a previous prescription. I’ve never taken them.

I’m trying to understand what the lower bio availability means. It won’t get you or high or it’s like not having an opioid? I just took my last Oxy dose until Thursday. I’m freaking out about major withdrawal since I’ve been in mild WD Basically the last week of every month. Can anyone explain if bio availability?

Thanks for any help I know I’m gonna be up all night stressing and not sleeping because of the mild WD I’m already in
. .

Hey. New here. So I have a question. I know that Dilaudid has low bioavailability. Does this mean it won’t help with Oxycodone withdrawal? I’m not looking for a high just to stay out of withdrawal for the next 3 days until my med refill.

i take Oxycodone 10mg 3x/day for years. The past couple of weeks I had legitimate increase in pain from traveling so I use a lot of extra tabs. Now I’m 3 days short. Even cutting down to 7.5 mg three times a day puts me in a tolerable with drawl. I have Dilaudid 2mg tabs leftover from a previous prescription. I’ve never taken them.

I’m trying to understand what the lower bio availability means. It won’t get you or high or it’s like not having an opioid? I just took my last Oxy dose until Thursday. I’m freaking out about major withdrawal since I’ve been in mild WD Basically the last week of every month. Can anyone explain if bio availability?

Thanks for any help I know I’m gonna be up all night stressing and not sleeping because of the mild WD I’m already in
. .

Dilaudid WILL keep you out of withdrawl.

Bioavailability pertains to the amount of the drug that makes it into your blood.

There are opioid conversion charts on bluelight(and through google) you can refer to help you find an adequate equal dose but when i was on pain management i found(for me personally) using dilaudid at 10% of my oxy dose kept me out of withdrawl.

Hope this helps.

Hang in there....

Good news OP, because you can probably stop freaking out at this point. I'd like to know how much Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) you have at your disposal, because we do want to make sure that you don't run out of that as well. Oxycodone (Percocet, Oxycontin) and Hydromorphone are Opioid Agonists and they are cross-tolerant with one another. In layman's terms, you can medicate Oxycodone withdrawal with Hydromorphone and vice versa effectively with extremely minimal or non-existent withdrawal. For your own sake going forward, you're going to want to acquaint yourself with Opioid dose conversions. There are a variety of resources available online ranging from charts to actual calculators. These are going to tell you how much Hydromorphone is equal to your current dosage of Oxycodone.

I would explain what Bioavailability means, but busted beat me to it and you would also be better off having Wikipedia explain it to you. We will keep it simple for now though.

1mg Oxycodone by the oral route is equal to approximately .4mg - .5mg Hydromorphone by the oral route

This is not taking into account any differences that may arise from incomplete cross-tolerance, but this should be an excellent reference to get you started. Regarding bioavailabilities though, Hydromorphone's is interesting and the oral route leaves you with a relatively low level of absorption ~30%. If you insufflate them, you double that figure to ~60%. Another lesson with BA's, is that intravenous administration almost always implies total (100%) absorption.

Thanks for all the help! I did calculate the dose conversion with a opioid calculator. So I think 3mg should keep out of WD. I just wasn’t sure if the bioavailability would affect that. Dilaudid is a confusing drug. Usually I use Vicodin during these short poll times but my guy is out of town.

I’ve found it easy to interchange V’s & Oxy but Dilaudid feels like a different beast. Sucks I won’t have any pain relief until Thursday.

Wow 10%! When I use V’s I can’t go lower than 10mg tabs w/o an amount of WD. I was thinking of taking a half pill of Dilaudid for my first dose but I think it will be to small.

There's no reason why you can't experiment with insufflation. All issues with Bioavailability aside, I have, as a matter of personal preference, found Hydromorphone to be a more effective analgesic when used by any route apart from oral. It's just a very underwhelming experience when taken orally and I don't know why. I don't experience this with all Opioids. For instance, my preferred ROA with Oxycodone is oral. That's even if injection is on the table with not strings attached.

It's totally the opposite with Hydromorphone. After my last surgery, I really felt like I wasn't getting any relief at all from the Hydromorphone, so I decided to try administering the same equivalent dose rectally and found that it was significantly stronger. You might want to give this a shot.