• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Dilaudid amplue

thugpassion

Bluelighter
Iv come across a sealed ampule of 20 cc. of dilaudid that is very old. what is the life of something like that, it has been in a sealed little box for like thirty years. The liquid in the bottle is an light yellow color but looks completely clear very translucent...what do you think happens to this hydromorphone as it ages in a sealed amplue/glass vile that hasn't been exposed to light... . took photo but having a hard time loading it

Last edited:
I would assume it's fine, but wait for others input as I wouldn't know and would rather you not get sick due to my advice.

What happens to opiates in a sealed glass ampule after a couple decades of being in a box in storage

Yeah finally able to post a picture ^^^^^:) "warning may be habit forming" . also look at the box it says 'use this carton to protect contents from light' and its been in that box for a long time.

It's probably fine. Maybe lost a little potency but usually it lasts a long long time

Does any body know how a sterile aqueous solution of hydromorphone behaves after many years in storage? is it still viable, does it pose any dangers to use

I am not an expert on the degradation of different drugs/chemicals over long periods of time but I would imagine the Hydromorphone should still be sterile(depending on how well the conditions were when it was bottled and what sort of protocols they had in place in the 70's for preventing the bottles from being compromised during production).

That said, I would still like to note that I don't think it would be a good idea to IV this old Dilaudid bottle. Another ROA should be perfectly fine though.

Be safe!

Jb

Im pretty sure that this is a sterile ampule/bottle of hydromorphone because it is still sealed and hasent been punctured but am interested to know if it would be harmful to use this for IV because that was its intended purpose and would use it that way if was new, but on the other hand if it could be harmful from degradation and age?

It's doubtful it degraded. The only concern is bacteria and infection. Besides lab testing the only way to find out is being a human gunnie pig. If you do IV only try one and wait a few days to see if any infection developed. Be prepared to go to the hospital WCS where best case scenario you have IV prepped Dilaudid

^If he suspects there is bacterial contamination then I don't think testing on a human guinea pig is a safe or reasonable suggestion. He should filter the contents through a sterile syringe filter.

Most opiates are very stable. Hydromorphine can degrade to the N-oxide as well as 2,2'-bishydromorphone, but it should be reasonably stable if stored properly in the dark.

In the interest of science I'll post this, I did go ahead and shoot a small amount of this dialaudid ampuale and am fine... I believe. I don't know how effective it was though because I have a pre existing tolerance from heroin. I only shot a few milligrams though because 1cc is 2 mgs and there is 20mgs so there is only 40 mgs in the whole bottle. The best way to see if is still viable would be to wait until I'm feeling a little peckish from not doing anything and then see if it makes me feel well?