• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Dihydromyricetin and profound anti-alcohol effects

negrogesic

Moderator: BDD, OD
Staff member
Dihydromyricetin is a flavonoid that is most commonly found in the form of vine tree extract. It is used sometimes as hangover relief remedy. The structure is unremarkable, appearing very similar to quercetin:

Dihydromyricetin, via its own GABAergic properties, seems to competitively block some of the GABAergic effects of ethanol. This may be either via dihydromyricetin's activity at various BZD binding sites, or perhaps due to quercetin like activity at GABA-A b1 and b3 (which is just my speculation and has yet to be characterized with dihydromyricetin).

Yet it supposedly reduces symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and has apparent anticonvulsant activity, which again, based on its similar structure to the more well profiled flavonoid quercetin, probably stems from non-BZD topiramate-like activity at GABA-A b1 and b3 sites. Or perhaps like similar flavonoids, like baicalein, which seem to behave as non-hypnotic positive allosteric modulators of GABA-A (specifically at BZD binding sites -- apart from a1 subunits). Yet others, like oroxylin-a, are supposedly negative modulators of GABA-A. My guess is that the real story here is that many of these act as very low efficacy positive allosteric modulators, thus producing conflicting reports of both negative and positive allosteric modulation.

I have used dihydromyricetin following fairly heavy drinking, using doses of 2 to 4 grams, and the effect in reducing hangover/residual effects of alcohol is shockingly unsubtle (ie, it very significant reduces hangover/residual intoxication). The magnitude of this effect is far more profound than what one would expect from a flavonoid, instead more resembling something one would expect from a pharmaceutical.

It does not reduce the dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, but the vast majority of cognitive symptoms are gone. Following a night of pretty heavy vodka consumption with 4 grams of dihydromyricetin before bed, one wakes up surprisingly refreshed and alert, without the dizziness and sense of poisoning, mental fog, rebound anxiety, etc. Some of the physical aspects are strongly minimized, nausea, etc.

It is not side-effect free. Most notable in my experience:

- sleep disturbances, vivid dreaming, waking up undesirably early

- seems to increase total drinking if taken before drinking as it seems to partially reverse alcohol intoxication

- increases total drinking if one anticipates that they will consume the dihydromyricetin at the end of the night (since it can serve to reduce the negative consequences)

Since I recently kicked kratom after a few month run, and have also used a benzos a few times recently (which give me horrible rebounds due to past dependency), any increase in insomnia for me is quite unwanted, so I have been resorting to dihydromyricetin less as of late, but the power of its effects are undeniable.

Related readings:

Last edited:
How chemically stable is it? It reminds me of psoralene (psoralene). If that chiral -OH can undergo dehydration then it might produce a chemical with some unusual toxic activity. Such compounds used to be used as tanning activators (until banned in 1996). It makes your skin more susceptible to burning (and sunburn is a form of radiation damage).

I ask because the British playwright Dennis Potter died of cancer that was caused by PUVA therapy to treat his psoriasis. If you look at the Wiki page on psoralen you will note a few other compounds with similar activity. A cyclohexene with a 2-3 double-bond seem key. I have to say that a medicine designed to intercalate into DNA sounds like a bad idea. After all, that is what thalidomide tuned out to do.

These flavonoids majorly reduce toxicity of ethanol too, which seems to tie hand in hand with the hangover. Here’s a study which may be applicable..

One thing I noticed is that… “A significant increase in lipid peroxidation (malondialdehyde, MDA) products was observed in liver tissue after administration of ethanol, which was attenuated by pre- and post-treatment with a high dose of quercetin.”

Lipid peroxidation seems to be the mechanism behind toxic aldehydes forming. It also seems acetaldehyde promotes lipid peroxidation.

Here’s an article showing how these flavonoids attenuate acetaldehyde toxicity..

“The difference in the amount of unstable acetaldehyde-albumin complexes found in serum after the consumption of red and whiie wine may therefore be caused by the higher concentration of antioxidants, including flavonoids, in red wine than in white wine. Because acetaldehyde and acetaldehyde-albumin complexes have been implicated in the pathogenesis of alcohol-mediated tissue damage, these data suggest that dietary antioxidants may influence the biological consequences of excess alcohol consumption.”

And finally one more for good measure, if you’ve been following me you know my looking into flavonoids found in honey. Honey also protects from ethanol toxicity.

“Lipid peroxidation and glutathione depletion were significantly inhibited by sidr honey.”

-GC

For those that are drinkers, I'd recommend giving it a try, curious to see the effect in others.

Question is, if it does serve as a positive allosteric modulator of GABA-A, would it not downregulate GABA-A with extended use? My guess is that it's action more resembles flumazenil, exhibiting weak partial activation rather than antagonism.

Interesting. I'm curious to try it. My gut tells me to stay away, though. Without a hangover I suspect my drinking would quickly get out of control.

Interesting. I'm curious to try it. My gut tells me to stay away, though. Without a hangover I suspect my drinking would quickly get out of control.

Wouldn't call it hangover free, but it is definitely diminished very substantially.

On a side note the following is a great discussion of the varying GABAergic properties of flavonoids:

I have tried a number of the flavonoids (in isolated form) mentioned in the above article, but never have I noticed such an unmistakable effect from any of them as I have when using dihydromyricetin following alcohol consumption -- which is interesting because this profound effect is taking form as an anti-effect through its displacement of another drug rather than through some sort of direct, primary effect.

I suppose this suggests that more than anything, the GABAergic effects of these flavonoids reside mostly in weak partial/competitive activation of the GABA-A receptor, which would mean that they probably produce barely noticeable effects on their own, but when they force another more active ligand off the GABA-A receptor, their effect is like night and day.

Question is, does it possess anxiolytic activity in its own right, and could it be useful in benzodiazepine withdrawal (like flumazenil is)? As far as the second question my guess is probably no, since in my very painful experience nothing significantly alleviates severe benzo withdrawal (at least, not without protracting it). Then again, I never tried flumazenil.

Last edited:
Emoxypine is said to have similar anti-alcohol action. Reducing ethanol’s effects somewhat, but greatly reducing hangover. I can’t speak to this myself as I no longer drink, though I do have emoxypine and have used it a few times.

Totally unrelated but the active compound in Passion flower is also a flavonoid. Don’t remember the name atm, I can add it later. It’s active at serotonergic receptors and there’s an extract available on eBay atm that is quite nice.

Last edited:
These flavonoids majorly reduce toxicity of ethanol too, which seems to tie hand in hand with the hangover. Here’s a study which may be applicable..

One thing I noticed is that… “A significant increase in lipid peroxidation (malondialdehyde, MDA) products was observed in liver tissue after administration of ethanol, which was attenuated by pre- and post-treatment with a high dose of quercetin.”

Lipid peroxidation seems to be the mechanism behind toxic aldehydes forming. It also seems acetaldehyde promotes lipid peroxidation.

Here’s an article showing how these flavonoids attenuate acetaldehyde toxicity..

“The difference in the amount of unstable acetaldehyde-albumin complexes found in serum after the consumption of red and whiie wine may therefore be caused by the higher concentration of antioxidants, including flavonoids, in red wine than in white wine. Because acetaldehyde and acetaldehyde-albumin complexes have been implicated in the pathogenesis of alcohol-mediated tissue damage, these data suggest that dietary antioxidants may influence the biological consequences of excess alcohol consumption.”

And finally one more for good measure, if you’ve been following me you know my looking into flavonoids found in honey. Honey also protects from ethanol toxicity.

“Lipid peroxidation and glutathione depletion were significantly inhibited by sidr honey.”

-GC

what would you say is high dose of quercetin in humans but not rats? highest dose on the market is 500mg, but low bioavailability makes it kind of useless even in grams.

Totally unrelated but the active compound in Passion flower is also a flavonoid. Don’t remember the name atm, I can add it later. It’s active at serotonergic receptors and there an extract available on eBay atm that is quite nice.

which one is that? im curious. its hard to find much typing passion flower there are just way too many supplements out there !!

Totally unrelated but the active compound in Passion flower is also a flavonoid. Don’t remember the name atm, I can add it later. It’s active at serotonergic receptors and there’s an extract available on eBay atm that is quite nice.
Aren't harman and harmaline the primary active compounds in passion flower?

Aren't harman and harmaline the primary active compounds in passion flower?

common myth, to my knowledge only found in trace amounts.

the main active principle seems to be Isovitexine and other flavonoids. i remember them having serotonergic activity but after rereading it also gaba-a agonism is cited.

1997 - Behavioural effects of Passiflora incarnata L. and its indole alkaloid and flavonoid derivatives and maltol in the mouse.pdf
2008 - ANTIRADICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE EXTRACT OF PASSIFLORA INCARNATA.pdf
2008 - Anxiolytic Activity of a Phytochemically Characterized Passiflora incarnata Extract is Mediated via the GABAergic System.pdf
2010 - Pharmacognosy and Chemotypes of Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata L.).pdf
2018 - Flavones-bound in benzodiazepine site on GABAA receptor.pdf

common myth, to my knowledge only found in trace amounts.

the main active principle seems to be Isovitexine and other flavonoids. i remember them having serotonergic activity but after rereading it also gaba-a agonism is cited.

1997 - Behavioural effects of Passiflora incarnata L. and its indole alkaloid and flavonoid derivatives and maltol in the mouse.pdf
2008 - ANTIRADICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE EXTRACT OF PASSIFLORA INCARNATA.pdf
2008 - Anxiolytic Activity of a Phytochemically Characterized Passiflora incarnata Extract is Mediated via the GABAergic System.pdf
2010 - Pharmacognosy and Chemotypes of Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata L.).pdf
2018 - Flavones-bound in benzodiazepine site on GABAA receptor.pdf

I always knew there were substances beyond the nearly imperceptible amount of harmala alkaloids giving the effect.

Yea once I began studying flavonoids I realized MANY psychoactive drugs rely on them for their effects. Chamomile, Linden Flower, S. Nemorosa, Hops, the list goes on. I bet they play a role in the subtleties we see with drugs like cannabis.

-GC

cwause aim mänsally händicupped, bro. no sourcing, get it?

Interesting. Does it help with the headaches too. I dont mind too much the mind fog of hangover but the splitting your-head-is-about-to-blow-up headaches of a "good" hangover I wish I can do something about it everytime I go thru that. Nothing really helps, may be that compound helps.

no sourcing for vitamins?? woww this place has become complete trash !

You seem to constantly expect others to do the work for you. Time and again you expect people to experiment on rare drugs, find you links for substances, and then when you say you’re going to we never hear from you again. Quit being lazy and find this shit yourself.

-GC

You seem to constantly expect others to do the work for you. Time and again you expect people to experiment on rare drugs, find you links for substances, and then when you say you’re going to we never hear from you again. Quit being lazy and find this shit yourself.

-GC

fuck you