• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Dihydrocodeine - severe stomach/abdomen pain

Took 100mg of DHC (orally) and after 20 minutes my stomach started acting up.
At first I thought it was just constipation/nausea, but them the pain got more intense, so I decided to just lay down and figure out if I was supposed to be concerned.

10 more minutes passed and the pain got extremely intense, so intense I could barely breathe and talk and at this point I kinda figured out this probably wasn't supposed to happen.

I'm guessing it was a stomach cramp, pain was located in the abdomen area, il felt like something was crushing all my organs and it kept getting more intense (I think I could feel some spasms too).

At this point, I decided to take some Gaviscon, which made the whole situation a lot better and I was feeling almost okay, but then when I tried to eat dinner I started having symptoms similar to a stomach flu (nausea, complete appetite supression, dizziness...).

After a short while, thankfully, it got better and I started to feel normal again, but still I can't really figure out why did that happen.
Here's the thing:

I'm pretty unexperienced when it comes to opiates, previous expierences were IV Fentanyl (hospital, no side effects), IV Morphine (same as Fent), Oral Codeine (30mg for pain relief only, no side effects), 5-10mg Oral Oxycodone IR multiple times (pain relief and recreational, no side effects at all, I don't recall having constipation either).

All opiates I have consumed (also the DHC) are pharma, so quality concern are out of the picture.
However the DHC, wasn't a syrup but oral drops so maybe some ingredients caused this.

Ingredients were:
• Dihydrocodeine
• Citric acid
• Water
• Alcohol (95%)
• Various flavouring ingridients
• Glycerine
• Sucrose
• Sodium Saccharine
• Methtlparaben

Besidies these factors, I consumed the dose (only 3/4 of the whole thing since I flushed the rest) on a fully empty stomach and mixed it with a really fucking cold fizzy drink.
I honestly doubt that it has anything to do with what happened, because the pain was way too intense.

Also my gallbladder was removed, but I can't find enough info on this topic, so I can't say if it matters, it could be the main reason though.

Does anyone know what could be the cause for this?
Am I safe to consume other opiates/opioids?
Will this keep happening if I took DHC again?

First, this is not an opioid side effect, something else is going on.

The most likely scenario is you have experienced a stomach bleed, ulcer, or otherwise perforated organs from consuming the NSAIDs combined with the dihydrocodeine. (How much did you take???)

How much ibuprofen or paracetamol was in the 100mg of Dihydrocodeine you took?

Assumimg you have an ulcer, of which I've had several from combining OTC nsaids with alcohol, the pain generally lasts 1-3 days. Eat as much food as possible.

If you are seriously debilitated by pain or can't function-> go to the hospital. You can easily die from a bad ulcer.

The really intense pain lasted 1-2 hours, now I'm ok, I'm pretty sure I'm constipated still and I'm slightly nauseous.

Thanks for the advice though, If it gets worse or keeps going, I will definitely seek medical help.

First, this is not an opioid side effect, something else is going on.

The most likely scenario is you have experienced a stomach bleed, ulcer, or otherwise perforated organs from consuming the NSAIDs combined with the dihydrocodeine. (How much did you take???)

How much ibuprofen or paracetamol was in the 100mg of Dihydrocodeine you took?
There is no ibuprofen or paracetamol, dihydrocodeine is the only active ingredient.

There is no ibuprofen or paracetamol, dihydrocodeine is the only active ingredient.
Makes no sense then, go to the doctor. I'm not doubting your story I'm just telling you it's very abnormal.

Opioids do not cause these types of side effects

If I were you I'd already gone to the hospital

Makes no sense then, go to the doctor. I'm not doubting your story I'm just telling you it's very abnormal.

Opioids do not cause these types of side effects

If I were you I'd already gone to the hospital
That's what I'm saying, I have no idea why that happened.
At this point I thought the gallbladder removal had something to do with this.

I'm getting better tho, I actually can go the bathroom right now (and it all looks normal) but I probably will see a doctor. Thank you

You may be talking about biliary sphincter spasm. It's a bit right of your belly button. I've had a few different opioids do it to me, but usually codeine. I found taking codeine with food or a glass of milk may lessen the chance of it happening. Crackers, bread, and antacids are what have sometimes helped the symptoms, which are very painful. Hope this helps. :)