• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Dihydrocodeine - emotional withdrawl?

Bicuit-Barrel

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, I'm new here and so apologies of this question is in the wrong place or I sound trite but I'm really hoping for some advice please.
On and off for about 3.5 years I've recreationally used codeine and DHC every couple of weeks (sometimes going several months as a break) and not feels any symptoms of dependency.
Over the last 6 weeks I've used DHC doses up to 600mg at least once a week and now a week after stopping I can't feel any physical withdrawal but feel so sad and can't stop crying. Has anyone else ever experienced these symptoms or am I worrying over nothing?
Thanks for your help.

Welcome to bluelight!

It's common for people going through withdrawal and post acute withdrawal to experience depressive feelings. These feelings should subside on their own as long as you abstain from opiates so just hang in there.

Hello everyone, I'm new here and so apologies of this question is in the wrong place or I sound trite but I'm really hoping for some advice please.
On and off for about 3.5 years I've recreationally used codeine and DHC every couple of weeks (sometimes going several months as a break) and not feels any symptoms of dependency.
Over the last 6 weeks I've used DHC doses up to 600mg at least once a week and now a week after stopping I can't feel any physical withdrawal but feel so sad and can't stop crying. Has anyone else ever experienced these symptoms or am I worrying over nothing?
Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I always suffer extreme severe depression when going through Opiate Withdrwal too (On top of my usual Depression) but the Opiate Withdrawal depession is definitely discernible from my normal depression. As my mood swings increase in severity, and my feelings of guilt also increase. Suicidal ideation also increases, and just as you explain, I also suffer bouts of crying... Sometimes on and off for days and for long periods of time :( It sometimes really can feel like the end of the world! And I get thoughts of harming myself and others. But as 'falsifiedhypothesi' says, these feelings will subside as long as you abstain. In general (IMO/IME) it usually takes around 1-2 weeks to pass before my mood begins to lift.

I must add, that these feelings, and especially the crying spells, are worse when I'm withdrawing from full Agonist Opiates. Such as - Morphine, Oxycodone, and Opium. With Dihydrocodeine, and Codeine it's usually not quite so bad, but it's still rough times. Morphine and Oxycodone are most definitely the worst for me though.

It's usually 1-2 weeks max, but the evil of withdrawal can make time seem too slow down, where minutes feel like hours, hours feel like days, days feel like weeks etc..

Time will heel... If you get desperate, Pregabalin, and Clonidine can also be very helpful. Although, even these will not always stop the crying spells.

Good luck.. And I hope you get through this, and have as Merry Christmas as possible ;) (That is if you do celebrate Christmas..?)

Hi pally_pete
Thank you for your nice reply and sharing your experiences...its such a relief to know this sort of experience is normal and I'm not going crazy. Have also been having thoughts of harming myself (which have not done in 2+ years so it's quite disturbing to have the feeling come back). Thanks again for your encouraging advice and send Christmas wishes to you too x