• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Dihydrocodeine and Codeine?

chrispche

Bluelighter
I have found Codeine more euphoric than Dihydrocodeine. Is this common? I get Dihydrocodeine prescribed for lower back pain and when I run out. I sometimes obtain Codeine Linctus cough medicine which is legal bought over the counter in the UK. I seem to get more euphoria from that than I do from Dihydrocodeine 30mg tablets. Is this common, what's going on there?

Cheers.

It could be dose related, or perhaps you are one of the lucky ones who metabolizes codeine super well to morphine.

I find codeine better than dihydrocodeine as well as hydrocodone. When i was young and had zero tolerance I would need at least 30 mgs of hydrocodone to feel anything. Where as 60 mgs of codeine was nice. When I live in southern California I had a doctor that would script me 100-200 60 mgs codeine tablets (known as Tylenol 4 here) when I said I was trying to kick street dope. Two of those were nice (when I was not addicted to the street stuff). I think my body takes the codeine and does the right thing with it. But i never understood the "vicodin" hype. Hydrocodone was weak to me. Dihydrocodeine seems on par with codeine.

According to Wikipedia Dihydrocodeine is two times more potent than normal Codeine.

The key paragraph here is...

"Dihydrocodeine is twice as strong as codeine. Although dihydrocodeine does have extremely active metabolites, in the form of dihydromorphine and dihydromorphine-6-glucuronide (one hundred times more potent), these metabolites are produced in such small amounts that they do not have clinically significant effects."

I'm wondering if that has something to do with the varying effects I experience in the two.

I find dihydrocodeine better than ordinary codeine. Codeine does nothing for me these days and even dihydro I have to take a shit ton, but at least that still lets me feel something.

I unfortunately have maybe the worse metabolism to codeine, needing over 100mg to even get the mild pain relief, not even sure I’d call it that, let alone euphoria.

Dihydrocodeine at least gives me a bit of something at similar doses.

My S/O on the other hand, can take a single 30/500mg Zapain (Codeine/paracetamol, script only in the UK) and is pretty out of it.

I unfortunately have maybe the worse metabolism to codeine, needing over 100mg to even get the mild pain relief, not even sure I’d call it that, let alone euphoria.

Dihydrocodeine at least gives me a bit of something at similar doses.

My S/O on the other hand, can take a single 30/500mg Zapain (Codeine/paracetamol, script only in the UK) and is pretty out of it.

Zapain? Didn't do shit for me and has Paracetamol in it which is bad for your liver in doses I'd like to take with the Codeine in. So I get a prescription for 224 30mg Dihydrocodeine tablets every three weeks. If I run out and I'm desperate. I get as I said Codeine Linctus cough mixture over the counter here in the UK. That stops Dihydrocodeine withdrawals, plus I get a bit of euphoria with it to. A stronger euphoria than Dihydrocodeine. I mean don't get me wrong the Dihydrocodeine still gives me a sense of contentment and well being, just not as much as Codeine.

Zapain? Didn't do shit for me and has Paracetamol in it which is bad for your liver in doses I'd like to take with the Codeine in. So I get a prescription for 224 30mg Dihydrocodeine tablets every three weeks. If I run out and I'm desperate. I get as I said Codeine Linctus cough mixture over the counter here in the UK. That stops Dihydrocodeine withdrawals, plus I get a bit of euphoria with it to. A stronger euphoria than Dihydrocodeine. I mean don't get me wrong the Dihydrocodeine still gives me a sense of contentment and well being, just not as much as Codeine.
I personally avoid paracetamol like the plague, already done enough damage to my liver, the thought of having paracetamol is giving me jaundice 😂

Only take codeine and dihydrocodeine phosphate tablets, used to do CWE in my younger years, but just wasn’t worth the time or effort.
I’ve never seen Codeine Linctus for sale OTC though, not sure if my local pharmacies sell it, but it’s honestly more likely I just never noticed, am known for being a bit oblivious sometimes 😅
Tbh, I’ve never really described either codeine or dihydrocodeine as particularly euphoric, only notice that dihydro seems to make me more numb I guess?

I personally avoid paracetamol like the plague, already done enough damage to my liver, the thought of having paracetamol is giving me jaundice 😂

Only take codeine and dihydrocodeine phosphate tablets, used to do CWE in my younger years, but just wasn’t worth the time or effort.
I’ve never seen Codeine Linctus for sale OTC though, not sure if my local pharmacies sell it, but it’s honestly more likely I just never noticed, am known for being a bit oblivious sometimes 😅
Tbh, I’ve never really described either codeine or dihydrocodeine as particularly euphoric, only notice that dihydro seems to make me more numb I guess?
If you are in the UK. You don't see it displayed. You have to specifically say you have tried all the other dry cough based medications (Usually with DXM in) and that nothing worked. Suggest Codeine Linctus and you'll see them reach under the counter and produce a bottle. Note, not all pharmacies will sell it though. My local all night pharmacy sell it to me. I guess they know that if you turn up later in the day to ask for it, your more legit.

If you are in the UK. You don't see it displayed. You have to specifically say you have tried all the other dry cough based medications (Usually with DXM in) and that nothing worked. Suggest Codeine Linctus and you'll see them reach under the counter and produce a bottle. Note, not all pharmacies will sell it though. My local all night pharmacy sell it to me. I guess they know that if you turn up later in the day to ask for it, your more legit.
Haha well that’d explain it, I’ll keep that in mind next time, a quick search though, seems like the gov might be making it script only soon.

I have found Codeine more euphoric than Dihydrocodeine. Is this common? I get Dihydrocodeine prescribed for lower back pain and when I run out. I sometimes obtain Codeine Linctus cough medicine which is legal bought over the counter in the UK. I seem to get more euphoria from that than I do from Dihydrocodeine 30mg tablets. Is this common, what's going on there?

Cheers.
Are you sure u can still get that in the UK? most online legal UK pharmacies seem to be out of stock. Can you still get it from your local pharmacy?

I've never had Dihydrocodeine, but I have had Codeine in the form of T3 and I took it along with a tramadol and it knocked me out. I woke up the next morning constipated as hell lol

My GP prescribes it for chronic lower back pain. I was at first getting Co-Dydramol. He changed it to plain Dihydrocodeine. I didn't argue or object. Maybe he doesn't know of this new rule? I don't know. I mean I haven't heard of it.

I agree codeine is more euphoric than DHC, I don't rate them at all. Some people swear by them but there is a big difference with the 2