• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Dig around or move to a new site?

BlueIV

Bluelighter
If you aim for a vein and it rolls, or you just don't get the flashback for whatever reason, do you move the needle around for a while?
At what point is it best to just give up and switch to new site, with a fresh needle?

Whenever you get fed up really... I've sat trying on one vein I knew I could get for like 25 minutes, blood everywhere... if you got another easier injection site go there by all means but what I'd do with rolling veins was try to use a free finger to stop it from rolling by pressing down on the vein right above or below where you are going to puncture so that blunt pressure from your finger will hold it from rolling whilst the needle can pierce it, good luck be safe!!

Thanks! Sometimes I wish I had another hand, using the free finger sounds like a good idea, but I think I would have a tough time holding the needle and keeping it lined up properly.

if I actually had another vein available I wouldn't sit there for 20mins trying to hit the vein I usually go to..i would just try the fresh vein knowing all be quick..me im lucky if I find one vein, everyone I know has a spot on there arm they can shoot quick, me I fucking gotta get a belt, do all this bullshit to hit

I can see some veins without a tourniquet, but not one has hit one on me without using one. It's always in my IV kit.

i see all these 10yr heroin addicts that shoot up without a belt in the same spot in theyre arm each time and hit, but me, im on and off for 10 years and gotta fucking hit my neck cause I got no veins. with my ridiculous tolerance I need to use this much heroin daily

profilepic59404_11.jpeg

Last edited:
I would get a port before I would consider hitting my neck. Just the thought of that creeps me out. I'm sure I would be passed out well before it came to hitting a vein on my neck.

I would get a port before I would consider hitting my neck. Just the thought of that creeps me out. I'm sure I would be passed out well before it came to hitting a vein on my neck.

Oh, just like, stroll into a hospital and order up a port at the front desk?
"Excuse me ma'am, it's been getting difficult to find viable veins for me to inject illicit drugs into, can someone please install a port, asap? Preferably in the next 30 minutes before my current high starts to wear off. "

If it were easy - hell, even if it weren't (god knows what lengths we're willing to go to for our fix sometimes) every iv drug user would have one.

Unfortunately both ways are very bad for you, which is why using a new syringe and having good technique is paramount. The pull out method (lol) will just keep damaging the needle until it is so dull you can't puncture without bruising. Digging is bad as well because you are just poking god know what down there. You could be putting multiple holes through the vein and then when you go to shoot the holes you created leak everything out because of the pressure flowing through the syringe. Sorry that there is no easy answer for this one... Just another one of the dangers of IV use.

I feel like my veins get SUPER irritated when I dig and then that vein is out of commish for a while. I basically try a few times (not digging) on a vein, then will switch needles and move up the vein a little bit to leave the irritated are alone. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For a while I was finding it easier to hit with a 29g 1/2" pick, but then I got this weird suction thing going when I tried to register so I went back to the 30g 3/16" needle and that seemed to fuck up my veins less.

I have horrible veins though. If I was shooting coke I would end up in my hands and feet really quick. Guilty of using the neck though. God, I shudder to think that I used to hit my jugular. I can't imagine it now that I am clean.

On a ramble here, but I miss an easy register and good hit on the first try more than I miss the high or rush sometimes. UGH!