• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Difficulty urinating after taking opioids?

Forever Changes

Bluelighter
I know opioids can cause constipation, but is difficulty urinating also common side effect of opioids?

I use Tapentadol and find that it can be really difficult to have a pee, as though the muscles in my bladder only work very weakly

Is it potentially dangerous, or just a relatively harmless side effect?

Last edited:
Absolutely, I had to go to the hospital/psych ward once a few hours after using some heroin. They needed me to urinate in a cup at intake. I was waiting for 6 hours, but still couldn't urinate no matter how much water I drank.

They ended up giving me a catheter, just to get a urine sample...

Absolutely, I had to go to the hospital/psych ward once a few hours after using some heroin. They needed me to urinate in a cup at intake. I ended up waiting for 6 hours, but still couldn't urinate no matter how much water I drank.

They ended up giving me a catheter, just to get a urine sample...

That happened to me when I was hospitalized while on methadone. The catheter hurt.

That happened to me when I was hospitalized while on methadone. The catheter hurt.
I don't recall it being painful, but incredibly weird and uncomfortable... unnatural. The nurse was a cute younger woman, but that ended up making it even more awkward for me. I was pretty young back then.

They wanted to put one in me when i had sepsis, i flat out declined and told them i will measure my own piss. Doctor said "whats up,not man enough?"
And yeah... i fell for that old trick. Ouchie in. Tickled out.

I know opioids can cause constipation, but is difficulty urinating also common side effect of opioids?

I use Tapentadol and find that it can be really difficult to have a pee, as though the muscles in my bladder only work very weakly

Is it potentially dangerous, or just a relatively harmless side effect?

Heya..

Yeah. When I was taking oxy I had this problem all the time. Even on 10-20mg.. It was like those muscles were numbed.

I think the trick where you turn the tap on must've worked cos I never needed a catheter or anything, and I panic about these things (making it worse)!!

I haven't had opioids for over two years and it hasn't happened.

Cheers,
Abbey xx

Here as well. Worst one was bupe but morphine also gives me a bit of problems urinating. Might be related to anticholinergic activity as opioids are indirect ones and anticholinergics cause difficulty urinating among other symptoms.

Like ultimate said..
nothing wants to leave. Same as on stims for me. I can piss for what seems like an eternity because the flow is so weak...or not at all... Being constipated really sucks too.
side note. I went when I was around 15 and had to get a catheter... I pulled it out myself and let me tell you...that was a mistake..

Like ultimate said..
nothing wants to leave. Same as on stims for me. I can piss for what seems like an eternity because the flow is so weak...or not at all... Being constipated really sucks too.
side note. I went when I was around 15 and had to get a catheter... I pulled it out myself and let me tell you...that was a mistake..
Ooouuuch!!

It is a very common side-effect. Happens every time. And if it doesn't happen, its how I know I didn't take a high enough (recreational) dose.
Is the mechanism known? Do the bladder muscles become too relaxed or something or does the bladder neck get blocked up from the muscles contracting or relaxing there?

I believe the muscles around the bladder are needed to contract in on the bladder to force urination, while on opiates they are too relaxed and can't contract.

Not quite. The urinary sphincter needs to relax to let urine out, while the urethra needs to contract. Opiates flip this around, increasing contraction of the sphincter muscle while decreasing contraction of the urethra.

I'm getting some difficulty urinating now, without tolerance, even from kratom. It's not strong enough to be a concern to me but I remembered this thread. Also do I get anorgasmia, this would be bothersome if it wouldn't at the same time kill my libido.

Weird that opioids fuck around with the ability to relax(!) some muscle. I never felt anything related in other muscles.

What did the sphincter muscle say to the urethra?
Don't PISS me off!
😆 😆 😄 😄