• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Difficulty metabolizing 11 hydroxy THC

karlm1

Greenlighter
I have used marijuana as an antidepressant which worked better than anything I ever tried. Unfortunately after completing a session about 5 years ago my body rejecting metabolizing the THC properly. This was a sudden reaction where any amount taken in either inhaled or as an edible would build up as if there was a reverse tolerance. I would get extremely high and the high would last for maybe 8-10 hours. This responce happened regardless of dose. At the end of the high I would be left with an incredible hangover that lasts sbout 30 hours. Experimenting with dose had the same effect even if I only did 1 milligram. The hangover is too much to deal with so I had to stop. I did ftom time to time return and test things out but the same thing happens every time regardless of dose. Recently I found a workaround using transdermal THC. THC transdermaly bypasses first pass metabolism so Im guessing that it doesnt convert to 11 hydroxy THC. Although THC is classified as psychoactive it's certainly not as psychoactive as 11 hydroxy THC. This method does work on my depression however at $10.00 a patch its way more expensive and definitely not as much fun. I originally thought that I was having a DDI with something else I was using but after cycling off the other meds I was taking the side effect stays. Im now thinking perhaps there is something wrong with glucuronidation as 11 hydroxy THC goes through glucuronidation before being converted to THC COOH and eventually eliminated from the body. It appears that THC itself is metabolized by CYP2C9 into the more psychoactive 11 hydroxy THC which I am now skipping by using transdermal delivery. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened or something I might try to remedy it.

I have used marijuana as an antidepressant which worked better than anything I ever tried. Unfortunately after completing a session about 5 years ago my body rejecting metabolizing the THC properly. This was a sudden reaction where any amount taken in either inhaled or as an edible would build up as if there was a reverse tolerance. I would get extremely high and the high would last for maybe 8-10 hours. This responce happened regardless of dose. At the end of the high I would be left with an incredible hangover that lasts sbout 30 hours. Experimenting with dose had the same effect even if I only did 1 milligram. The hangover is too much to deal with so I had to stop. I did ftom time to time return and test things out but the same thing happens every time regardless of dose. Recently I found a workaround using transdermal THC. THC transdermaly bypasses first pass metabolism so Im guessing that it doesnt convert to 11 hydroxy THC. Although THC is classified as psychoactive it's certainly not as psychoactive as 11 hydroxy THC. This method does work on my depression however at $10.00 a patch its way more expensive and definitely not as much fun. I originally thought that I was having a DDI with something else I was using but after cycling off the other meds I was taking the side effect stays. Im now thinking perhaps there is something wrong with glucuronidation as 11 hydroxy THC goes through glucuronidation before being converted to THC COOH and eventually eliminated from the body. It appears that THC itself is metabolized by CYP2C9 into the more psychoactive 11 hydroxy THC which I am now skipping by using transdermal delivery. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened or something I might try to remedy it.
Smoking by passes first pass metabolism so if first pass was the issue you'd see the same results with that ROA as you seem to think you are getting Transdermally.
Also regardless of bypassing first pass or not all things pretty much end up being metabolised in the liver so this would still usually result in most metabolites being made.

Just to throw it out there have you considered some degree of the issue is Psychosomatic due to a switch in your response to one of anxiety?
It seems pretty common in chronic consumers for them to have the positive effects of THC flip into anxiety hell.

Yeah, it is very common. I was a 24/7 smoker for many, many years, loved it, consistently got positive effects, anxiety relief, euphoria, etc. Then gradually the effects started to flip on me, until about 2 years ago I just had to stop using it very often, because I was getting a lot of anxiety and just finding that it no longer relaxed me most of the time. I still use weed from time to time, l I love it when I'm out to see live music, and occasionally I'll partake when hanging out with good friends who still smoke a lot. I keep it to a couple of hits and I get high as fuck. But when I'm at home bored, or looking to relax, I stay away from weed because 9 times out of 10 I get really anxious and just wish I had stayed sober. many people report this shift over time, though some never seem to encounter this problem. I wish I still got positive effects from weed every time, because I tend to try to use other, more dangerous and addictive drugs to try to relax now. I wish weed still did it for me. It doesn't though, and sadly it's pretty common for this to happen eventually.

On the plus side, the last time I bought weed was a year ago, and I still have most of it. I used to spend so much money on weed.

Smoking by passes first pass metabolism so if first pass was the issue you'd see the same results with that ROA as you seem to think you are getting Transdermally.
Also regardless of bypassing first pass or not all things pretty much end up being metabolised in the liver so this would still usually result in most metabolites being made.

Just to throw it out there have you considered some degree of the issue is Psychosomatic due to a switch in your response to one of anxiety?
It seems pretty common in chronic consumers for them to have the positive effects of THC flip into anxiety hell.
Thanks, no I dont get anxiety I just get an extreme hangover on any amount used. It wasnt a gradual
thing. It was sudden like a light switch where any amount will give me the hangover even 1 mg. I had a pretty healthy tolerance which flipped to zero tolerance overnight. I believe something is interfering with metabolizing the drug.

Thanks, no I dont get anxiety I just get an extreme hangover on any amount used. It wasnt a gradual
thing. It was sudden like a light switch where any amount will give me the hangover even 1 mg. I had a pretty healthy tolerance which flipped to zero tolerance overnight. I believe something is interfering with metabolizing the drug.
Do you have any issues like this with other substances/medicines?
If it was a metabolic thing you'd see similar issues crop up time and time again with other things.

I honestly would visit the idea of it being psychosomatic and look what if so would be leading you to believe something so strongly on a conscious or subconscious level you're displaying the symptoms of that belief.