Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Different Shades of MDMA Powder/crystals

Sabitor

Greenlighter
Hey All,

I have recently been spoilt for choice for uncut MDMA crystals but there have been 3 very distinct types that I have been able to get my hands on.

I havant tried all 3 but from my inspection they only appear to differentiate in colour. They are all reasonably chuncky crystals which need to be crushed before snorting.

Type 1)
Almost white crystals and it isant piperzine which I have also had in the past.

I havant had this type but the person I get it from tells me they had issues sleeping on it. As a side note I have had plenty of speed in the past and this didnt look like speed.

Type 2)

Light brown. I have had this and its deffinately MDMA. Wasant as mind blowing as I was hoping though.

Type 3)

A deep dark brown. Similar looking crystals to 1 & 2 just very dark.

Can people give me there opinions on what they look for in good MDMA. Based on my experiences from other drugs I have found the deeper the colour the stronger the gear. Does this apply to MDMA?

The Dark stuff is reportedly off tap but I havant had it yet.

Any way let me know what you peps think.

Sabitor

Mdma in its purist form is only about 83% so it all depends on the process in making it as too what colour it turns out..

Correct me if im wrong.

Get a reagent test kit from the new Aussie guy and then you'll have a better idea of what your buying.

PURE MDMA is only 83% as nin015 said, but you can pretty much ignore that as thats due to the way it synthesises, it can only be 100% in oil form so doses that recommend 120mg as a good dose are based on it being 83% pure (I'm pretty sure)
83% Pure MDMA will be white, but this is extremely rare. It can easily be off colour (commonly off brown/tan) without affecting the overall strength all that much (can be anywhere from a couple of % to alot).

In short, if you are certain that the white stuff is MDMA and been tested as such (Because they're is countless white RC's that stimulate some MDMA affects). I'd be taking the white because it has the potential to be stronger than the others but it's certainly no guarentee.

However if you have access to a test kit, I'd test each of the batch's and see which is quickest to react, that would be a more accurate way to check purity. Good luck, and I'm glad you found some tasty tasty molly... JEALOUS!

If we want to be precise the maximum purity for MDMA would be 84%. The color does not meant too much like mentioned above it really depends on the manufacturing process. The end product technically should be white if it has been cleaned but it can range from amber, brown, purplish etc etc. The color wont tell you the quality unless your getting it tested. There are a few types of molly circulating at the moment and I have had just as good experiences on brown/purplish MDMA as white crystals.

Sabitor said:
Can people give me there opinions on what they look for in good MDMA. Based on my experiences from other drugs I have found the deeper the colour the stronger the gear.

What drugs does this apply to? Off the top of my head I can't think of any drug which a stronger colour means it's more pure, in most cases a colour is an impurity, though even a tiny percentage of impurity can cause a significant colour change, hence colour rarely being a good indicator of purity.

Im with footzy with this one. More colour usually means whoever cooked it isnt getting the pureist of ingredients or they are skipping a rinse step

Get a reagent test kit
^ this. any other means of telling your 'molly' from a random powder or research chemical are merely guesswork - especially if you have been sold piperazine as molly (or pills) previously.

and while your at it see to a shave, short haircut, and get yourself a goddamn job!

And what is with this 83-84% business. Forensic chemists do not quote the percentage of MDMA freebase in a particular batch of powder but the percentage of MDMA-HCl. The same goes with meth. All the dosages we have ever spoken about, whenever dosage is mentioned, are MDMA-HCl. That is the drug, just like any other drug in any other pharmaceutical; 30mg Pfed-HCL in the cold and flu tabs anyone??

It is rarely over 80-85% because of the very significant hassle in purifying it any greater than that percentage. It is so difficult, that most wouldn't bother. Meth is the same. Government chemists in controlled conditions are battling to do over 90%, even with a lot of time spent on purifications.

Last edited:
MDMA - Molecular Mass 193.2
Hydrochloric Acid - Molecular Mass 36.46
MDMA HCL - MDMA Molecule Mass - 84%

The 84% max purity is caused by the weight of the acid molecule.

The colouration is normally caused by the final separation, filtering and cleaning process.

Many claim the brown MDMA has a stronger effect (the impurities from the synth can effect the high). More balls to the wall experience. Only a tiny trace of an impurity is all thats needed to knock the colour off.

A lot of MDMA crystal we see on ED is white.

All the dosages we have ever spoken about, whenever dosage is mentioned, are MDMA-HCl. That is the drug, just like any other drug in any other pharmaceutical; 30mg Pfed-HCL in the cold and flu tabs anyone??

The question of how dose is measured is an interesting debate.

Is a 120mG pill on ecstasydata 120mG MDMA Molecule + Acid Molecule or is 120mG on edata only 83% of 120mG? Curently unconfirmed. It will depend on if their GC/MS kit can detect the bond. I read a GC/MS cant detect it. I have emailed them and await a response.

What about MDMA Tartrate or MDMA Phosphate? Maybe ecstasydata are only reading the MDMA molecule from the GC/MS. Currently I dont know what they are measuring.

We assume MDMA HCl but the only setup out there testing for mG is Ecstasydata (at least for europe). All our dosages are based on this and shulgin reports. Does Shulgin consume 120mG MDMA + Acid Molecule or 120mG of MDMA molecule? Know one really knows.

I have started a thread on ADD discussing this very thing as I dont know? Would be interested to find out if someone does :)

Can people give me there opinions on what they look for in good MDMA.

References from others. Good source. Marquis Test result.

Based on my experiences from other drugs I have found the deeper the colour the stronger the gear. Does this apply to MDMA?

Sometimes the darker the gear the more "stoned" and "off the wall" it isnt necessarily the MDMA causing this. It might be to do with how the MDMA reacts with the impuritie in your body. Its a bit of a grey science this one. But.. the brown shit can be known to be stronger. Not always..

mdma_tartrate_2.jpg

MDMA Tartrate (Max purity of MDMA Tartrate approx 60% )

Last edited:
^ Your a machine on the subject, you have some fantastic posts in ED.

I've had brown, White, Pinkish and have not been able to tell a difference. I always go for "rocks" though. It's easy to step on powder but way harder to step on chunky crystals.

The molly I get offered always has a yellow tinge to it, and that smell <3 certainly not clear but its potent stuff!

generic "i've only seen them with a tan colour from dude" or "white" from pictures i've looked at. haven't decided to use molly as yet, given the opportunity has only arisen.

Futura2012 - you raise an interesting point and I too will look into this.

However, I know someone who has seen hundreds upon hundreds of lab test results from seized pills and the MDMA in the pills is always MDMA-HCl. Of course MDMA crystal/powder, which seems to be more available than it ever was, might routinely come in different salt forms. I cannot recall how the purity of the MDMA is expressed and whether it is expressed as MDMA or MDMA-HCl.

I've had brown, White, Pinkish and have not been able to tell a difference. I always go for "rocks" though. It's easy to step on powder but way harder to step on chunky crystals.

Valid point about going for rocks. The only thing you have to watch there is fake rocks in the mix.

The smell is usually liquorice or aniseed smell from the safrol oil. Its such a powerful smell it survives throughout the synth processes.

Be warned you can easily fake this smell with anise aromatherapy oil. I have heard a few stories now on ED with users reporting "moon rocks" stinking of "safrol" and they are confused when "they dont do shit"

Quick squirt of this and the most revolting Research Chemical will smell like a fresh batch of MDMA.

I was reading this article about a Super Super Lab bust in Aussie for another ED Lab thread.

http://www.hawkesburygazette.com.au/news/local/news/general/biggest-ecstasy-lab-ever/442011.aspx

I tried to figure out the quantity of tablets they had in regards to confiscated MDMA crystal and freebase.

I estimated it came out to be 482 million 500 thousand tablets. Fairly impressed was a mild understatement.

I was always under the impression pills in Aus there are a lot of bunks like in USA. I have never seen a recorded E lab on this scale before. Maybe times have changed.

I would appreciate it if someone can confirm if this theory about pills there is right or wrong?

Judging by this lab you have as many super pills as Holland :D

Futura2012 - you raise an interesting point and I too will look into this.

However, I know someone who has seen hundreds upon hundreds of lab test results from seized pills and the MDMA in the pills is always MDMA-HCl. Of course MDMA crystal/powder, which seems to be more available than it ever was, might routinely come in different salt forms. I cannot recall how the purity of the MDMA is expressed and whether it is expressed as MDMA or MDMA-HCl.

Hello Biccie

Interesting you say this. Which lab reports do you see that say they contain HCL? Edata wont report the salt because of DEA restrictions. On our pills of the 90s thread on ED someone suggested a "Defqon DANCE" might have an alternative salt. Why does it contain only MDMA yet is errm for a better word "dancey". Maybe not a coincedence there is DANCE stamped on the back of them but they only contain MDMA no adulterant.

Just out of interest if Edata only measure the salt (ie MDMA molecule + Acid Molecule) and report this. If you made a pill with a heavier Acid salt such as say Acetate or Posphate then the pill report would work in your favour as the MDMA could only be approx 50-60% pure.

Unfortunately the ADD thread got closed :( (dunno why) but they all agreed with you Biccie and said always assume HCL.

One comment on there pointed out that due to the potency factor of MDMA is relatively low (ie not like LSD or DOM) then + or - 16% makes no difference. This was a valid point.

However a different salt at + or - 50% would be a different story.

The crazy thing is if a defqon was say an acetate and all this fuss with superpill status at circu 200mG it may only be 100mG and its a "Placebo Superpill" LOL :D