differences in private/ public business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the WA law on access to places of public accommodation:

49.60.030. Freedom from discrimination--Declaration of civil rights

(1) The right to be free from discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a disabled person is recognized as and declared to be a civil right. This right shall include, but not be limited to:

(b) The right to the full enjoyment of any of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, or privileges of any place of public resort, accommodation, assemblage, or amusement;

49.60.040. Definitions

(9) "Full enjoyment of" includes the right to purchase any service, commodity, or article of personal property offered or sold on, or by, any establishment to the public, and the admission of any person to accommodations, advantages, facilities, or privileges of any place of public resort, accommodation, assemblage, or amusement, without acts directly or indirectly causing persons of any particular race, creed, color, sex, national origin, or with any sensory, mental, or physical disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a disabled person, to be treated as not welcome, accepted, desired, or solicited;

(10) "Any place of public resort, accommodation, assemblage, or amusement" includes, but is not limited to, any place, licensed or unlicensed, kept for gain, hire, or reward, or where charges are made for admission, service, occupancy, or use of any property or facilities, whether conducted for the entertainment, housing, or lodging of transient guests, or for the benefit, use, or accommodation of those seeking health, recreation, or rest, or for the burial or other disposition of human remains, or for the sale of goods, merchandise, services, or personal property, or for the rendering of personal services, or for public conveyance or transportation on land, water, or in the air, including the stations and terminals thereof and the garaging of vehicles, or where food or beverages of any kind are sold for consumption on the premises, or where public amusement, entertainment, sports, or recreation of any kind is offered with or without charge, or where medical service or care is made available, or where the public gathers, congregates, or assembles for amusement, recreation, or public purposes, or public halls, public elevators, and public washrooms of buildings and structures occupied by two or more tenants, or by the owner and one or more tenants, or any public library or educational institution, or schools of special instruction, or nursery schools, or day care centers or children's camps: PROVIDED, That nothing contained in this definition shall be construed to include or apply to any institute, bona fide club, or place of accommodation, which is by its nature distinctly private, including fraternal organizations, though where public use is permitted that use shall be covered by this chapter; nor shall anything contained in this definition apply to any educational facility, columbarium, crematory, mausoleum, or cemetery operated or maintained by a bona fide religious or sectarian institution;

With few exceptions (New Jersey is one) a privately own business can toss you out for any reason they f-cking want so long as its not for discrimination reasons. (Mahan has given you the list of what qualifies as discrimination in WA)

Its private property, they can do what they want (subject to the standard discrimination laws-some states prohibit sexual orientation discrimination, some do not).

But in most states, if they dont like you or for no reason, they can toss your ass out unless they are discriminating against you And the discrimination is illegal. (Certain types of discrimination is prohibited everywhere in the states, some is not. Race discrimination is illegal everywhere, sexual orientation discrimination is not which means its illegal everywhere in the U.S to be tossed because your black but in many states it is perfectly ok for them to toss you if you are gay).

Now, state funded places or public property have a different set of rules but a place does not fall into that category just by being a public place.

Last edited:
Maybe they tossed him out for asking confusing questions instead of placing an order.
"Can I order something?"
"Yes, what would you like, sir?"
"It doesn't matter. I just need to know if I can order something."
"Yes, if we have it. What is it that you wanted?"
"I don't want anything, I just want to know if I can order something."
"It depends on the order, sir."
"Listen, can I order something or not?"
"Just get the fuck out."

zx13xz said:
Maybe they tossed him out for asking confusing questions instead of placing an order.
"Can I order something?"
"Yes, what would you like, sir?"
"It doesn't matter. I just need to know if I can order something."
"Yes, if we have it. What is it that you wanted?"
"I don't want anything, I just want to know if I can order something."
"It depends on the order, sir."
"Listen, can I order something or not?"
"Just get the fuck out."

who are you talking about? if this is referencing to me, you're an ass. my question wasn't confusing at the fucking slightest. look how many times i had to repeat the fucker to people who refused to accept that that was indeed the real question.

..why do all of your threads end up like this? Maybe you should post in S/O - "How to manage your anger towards faceless people who post on forums". 8)

^why are you monitering all of my threads outcomes? how other people misinterpret my info is their problem. and BL is full of assholes just as much as it is full of wonderful people, so i know alot of threads end up like this.
the question was stated and stated again clear as day.

try understanding the difference between ANGER AND ANNOYANCE for once, btw. it's annoying when someone implores you to elaborate on something that isn't pertinent or necessary to the question.

Holy Moley, mr Cub.. You, my friend-- have some serious problems. The answer to your question-- no matter the situation is.... The business is right. If they are treating you in a way that seems unfair to you-- it doesn't matter-- you are wrong. You are an asshole and you deserve to be treated that way by them. End of story. Get some counseling as well.

I am sure I don't need to explain why this thread is being closed.

Curious Cub, I strongly suggest you review the forum guidelines before posting in Legal again. This is a serious forum and we do not tolerate name-calling in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.