• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Differences in ADHD meds

Basteel

Bluelighter
ATTENTION DEFICIT DRUGS

Methylphenidate (Methylin, Ritalin, Metadate, Concerta, Focalin, Attenta, Equasym, Rubifen, Daytrana)
Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine)
Amphetamine salts (Adderall)
Methamphetamine (Desoxyn)
Bupropion (Wellbutrin)
Atomoxetine (Strattera)
Benzphetamine (Didrex)
Modafinil (Alertec, Provigil)
Pemoline (Cylert)
Clonidine
My situation is that I've been prescribed stimulant meds for over 20 yrs (I'm now 60) and I live in the UK. I was originally prescribed Dexedrine, but there was a subtle change around 2004/2006 to generic Dexamfetamine Sulfate and immediately I noticed the change in effort, nowhere near as effective as Dexedrine. I wish someone could explain why and how they are different?

I might attempt to answer my own question here. There must be a difference between 'dextro' and 'dex' and 'amphetamine salts' (we do not have access to Adderall in the UK BTW)
But, we do have Lisdexamfetamine the pro-drug.

There is no difference between dexamphetamine and dextroamphetamine, it’s just a shortened version of the name similar to the way dexamfetamine is also used. ‘Salts’ just refers to amphetamine in an acidic crystalline form, which both of those will be (‘sulfate’ is the type of salt they are).

Amphetamine in pharmaceutical form will always be a salt of some sort because freebase amphetamine is an oil not a solid product. The same applies to amphetamine bought on the street unless you are buying it right at the top of the supply chain in very large quantities despite the fact that it has the slang name ‘base’. Anything that is a powder/paste/rock is an amphetamine salt.

Changes in physiological effect may be caused by different isomeric make up of different company’s products, or it might also be caused by the differing physical composition of the tablets causing differing digestion and adsorption rates in to the bloodstream.

There is no difference between dexamphetamine and dextroamphetamine, it’s just a shortened version of the name similar to the way dexamfetamine is also used. ‘Salts’ just refers to amphetamine in an acidic crystalline form, which both of those will be (‘sulfate’ is the type of salt they are).

Amphetamine in pharmaceutical form will always be a salt of some sort because freebase amphetamine is an oil not a solid product. The same applies to amphetamine bought on the street unless you are buying it right at the top of the supply chain in very large quantities despite the fact that it has the slang name ‘base’. Anything that is a powder/paste/rock is an amphetamine salt.

Changes in physiological effect may be caused by different isomeric make up of different company’s products, or it might also be caused by the differing physical composition of the tablets causing differing digestion and adsorption rates in to the bloodstream.
Thanks for that, it's very comprehensive.