• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Difference between Fluoro and Methyl?

nuke said:
4-Fluoromethcathinone is probably less serotonergic releasing/reuptake inhibiting than 4-Methylmethcathinone as having an extremely electrophilic substituent in the 4-position of an amphetamine tends to decrease the affinity for the serotonin transporter (like in 4-Fluoroamphetamine, which is not very serotonergic). The 2-oxygenated group in amphetamines also increases the affinity for the norepinephrine transporter, hence why ephedrine is mostly a norepinephrine releaser. So we're probably looking at a compound with a high affinity for NE like ethcathinone (or at least, that's my best guess).

Somewhat off-topic:

1. hmmm...What might we expect from 4-iodo- or 4-chloro-methcathinone? Yes, the 'parent' amphetamines are potent 5ht neurotoxins, but might the reduced 5ht efflux of the bk- analogues ameliorate this effect? Clearly, we'd need to do ethically dubious things to rats before having a taste. :)
2. What does the SAR for adrenergic (not noradrenergic) activity look like?

ebola

This was the main reason people started selling 4-Fluoroamphetamine, because the lack of serotonergic effect cause the compound to be non-neurotoxic in the rat. See attached image.

i was under the impression that 4 fluoroamphetamine did have moderate serotonin effects (nowhere near mdma or mda, but moreso than amphetamine and less NE than amp). do you mean lacking in relation to its neurotoxic heavier halogen cousins or that it does not do much for 5ht at all. i'm confused:(

i was under the impression that 4 fluoroamphetamine did have moderate serotonin effects (nowhere near mdma or mda, but moreso than amphetamine and less NE than amp).
if you look at the table (ironically;)) also posted by nuke, you will see that your impression was right.;)
nuke said:
This was the main reason people started selling 4-Fluoroamphetamine, because the lack of serotonergic effect cause the compound to be non-neurotoxic in the rat.
[tang of irony]
yes, because "people" recently started really caring about their product beeing not (neuro)toxic. =D[/tang of irony]
sry;)

It was just a little post in EADD to see if anyone had experienced the two substances and had any thoughts on the differing effects.
"flephedrone" is a quite weak but gentle stim which is not so much "in ya face".
Mainly because i've been taking some thing that i thought was Meph but is actually Fluoromethcathinone. :)
how did you know it was Fluoromethcathinone?

Is this compound even around anymore? And from all I have read of 4-fa, it is quite a serotonin dumper, so would this n-methyl beta ketone version be a mildly empathogenic compound as well? What is known? Is there big and dandy thread on this somewhere? Did it turn out to be a flop or aka shit compound?

And to the above poster, I don't think anyone here in NPD is confused on the actual substituent group of methyl vs fluoro, it's more about the differences in effect and binding and such. But thanks for clearing that up for anyone who has no clue at all about the dif between CH3 and F on the 4th carbon of the aromatic ring of the phenethylamine backbone of this drug.