Did you drop out of highschool?

Man this thread gives me a fuckin eye-ache,
by now i been rollin these suckas way too many times for it to be healthy.

All i wanna know is

Why is it so hard for some people
to recognize the merit
in other peoples choices
just because it dont fit
to what THEIR choices were?

If somebody is doing something
That satisfies them and is what they want to do with their life

Then who the hell cares? :D

Pfunk, why you didnt respond to my answer to why i dropped out? did it make too much sense for ya? LOL, na dont wanna sound confrontating. im just curious though since u seemed to completely bypass it, it answered your question comepletey, and it was a long-normal length unlike my other post that s0nix had a laugh about

So what the deal is homie?

StarGirlie

i'm not talking about using the wrong "your" or "there" or ending in a preposistion but the actual beauty of correct english itself.

Actually, i think its the exact opposite
Do you know whatIi think is beautiful about the english language?

The fact that here in america we have took people from every country in the world

and that has showed as a part of our language, with everybody making a contribution, that gives us one truly unique language

its language as rich as the huge variation of people it contains

So im sorry but no i really dont see the the true beauty of "pure" english

Why?

EVERY COUNTRY around the whole damn world aint even got a "pure" form of its language.

All over the planet, different regions a country got their own dialects, every town has its own slang, everybody has their own twist on it. so that "pure" language bullshit? that makes bout as much sense to me as the concept of a "pure" race. :\ if you know what im saying.

Anyways, dont act like the "pure" english language dont originally come from a whole bunch of other languages scrib scrabbled together in the first place. In england, french, german, italian, spanish, etc. in america, throw the Native American languages in there, you only need to drive thru north and the PA area around to see that influence "Hopatcong Mahwah Wanaque" the list goes on.

And just to remind you,
there is tons of slang terms and non "proper" words in the dictionary. and that sure as fuck seems to me like that would make it a recognized part of the english language

Also im curious about something then,

Patois is a completely recognized dialect that people refer to as "rich' and "colorful" and seem to see it as a wonderful melt-together of creole French and the african dialects in the West Indies

So do you think we all should dismiss that since that fo sho DEFINATELY aint pure french?

Should all languagse just stick to the master language and never budge from it and resist all types of change and assimilation from surrounding areas even when it is conveneintte b/cuz it woudl allow ppl to communicate better more freely with others around them?

Honestly i only think your theory up holds for english majors.

You will have "greats" of literature over time that honor that "principles" about the language shit like its their fuckin mommas grave.

But you know what dont forget
The people who also were thoguht of as greats whoh were truly considered cats who broke the mold, often were like, yea, its a bunch of bullshit. imma write how i want.

If the language stayed "pure" and resisted change then we would all be talking the same as they did in the 1800s

Beauty in writing dont come from speaking "correct" it comes from your inside and your way to use words, whether you got a PHD or dropped out in 7th grade.

to me beautiful is what i hear peopel speaking every day, its the language of our culture, not Black culture dont get it twisted but street culture.

especially since it can be difficult for people who aint a little familair w'it it even "get" anything, and that is a specific of something being established as a dialect and not just shitty grammar. there is a set of rules to that way of speakin too you know, if you decided to study it. i think that qualifies it as different than just a bucnh of kids saying Hella. LOL.

ANYWAYS,..............................

getting an education for me is about just that, getting an education. its about expanding your mind and constantly learning new things, so maybe you get the right degree and get a high paying job, or maybe not. its all about the experience and being able to know more about the world, its history, its future, its cultures, ect.

lacey k said:
Why is it so hard for some people
to recognize the merit
in other peoples choices
just because it dont fit
to what THEIR choices were?

Why is it so hard for you to recognize that these are people's opinions about the subject that you brought up for discussion? That's what this is right?

It was brought up to be discussed and people are giving their opinions. If you don't want to hear them, I can close the thread.

lacey k - While I understand what you're saying, I have to disagree.

Language is continuously in flux, especially at the informal level. The goal of lexicographers isn't to define language, but to track it's evolution.

Language is a strong tool for imparting information.

Nobody writes technical, business, or planning documents in ebonics. Why? Because ebonics and other forms of "street language" are imprecise, exclusionary, and unfit for accuracy. They are barely fit for day to day use. I've SEEN people misunderstand each other precisely because they were talking in street language.

When you want to do anything serious with language, you follow the rules. Literacy is important. Clarity is important.

There IS beauty in what she referred to as "pure english", even if it's not really pure. There IS elegance in the ebb and flow of the language. On the flip side, poor grammar and bad spelling are UGLY. When I see sentences with no punctiation, no capitalization, and no structure, I can't bring myself to invest any time reading it.

And because I work in an industrial, technical, and business environment, when I see a resume with spelling errors and grammatical mistakes, it goes straight in the trash.

As for your point concerning what we think of peoples choices, I agree. If you're happy, more power to you. I said that above. But I do feel a little bad for anybody who never expands their world.

They are barely fit for day to day use.

shiit aint that the craziest thing i heard all day. try tell that to everybody who talks it.

Anyways, with that post before, Im talking about spoken language. i agree that certain things you gota have straight up english.

BUT - did you ever notice taht those things ARE straight up english. not english professor english. that instruction books, directions, etc. things that are written for information only -
THEY only use the most basic simple understandable english. there is no room for big words in there, descriptinve words, etc. the purpose is communication, so it gotta be pared down to convey only the information.

anyways

what i dont get is why you think As for your point concerning what we think of peoples choices, I agree. If you're happy, more power to you. I said that above. But I do feel a little bad for anybody who never expands their world

Who ever said that you acnt expand your wolrd without education.

Libraries are free dawg and so is my mind. Everythign i ever wanted to know that I PERSONALLY was interested in and passionate about, best believe nobody taught me that but me. i followed it loked it up read about it thought about it....looked at pictures, movies, etc.

the capacity to learn dont come from a school.

it might be hard for you to see because alot of people aint got a drive to really do shit for themself and in general what you were saying But I do feel a little bad for anybody who never expands their world. is a little truer for them

but dawg for real trust me on this one. its exactly the opposite

Why is it so hard for you to recognize that these are people's opinions about the subject that you brought up for discussion? That's what this is right?

It was brought up to be discussed and people are giving their opinions. If you don't want to hear them, I can close the thread.

what makes you think i dont want to hear them? i never said or indicated that

all i am saying is, people are trying to show each other where they are coming from correct? so im listening as peopel are explaining what is right for them, and acknowlidging that, butt hey keep repeating the same old shit that it just aint good enough if yuo dont do this, bla bla bla.

it aint changing peoples minds that i want to do. that aint the point. but it seems to be very hard for people who aint been through it to understand the other side, that you really can be happy. and im just curious why they are operating only in their view of the world?

you might say i am, but i aint. because i am saying, go ahead, and be what you wanna be for what you want to do, make the money you wana make, take the classes you wanna take.

but they just be like,"well i will and you are never gonna get anywhere if you dont."

its still a interesting diccussion

and i think youre taking it the wrong way because there is no frowns coming over my face when im writing anything here, im enjoying this thread alot

just because you are disagreeing with somebodys opinion dont mean you dont wanna hear it so i dont know why youre gettin the idea that its like that w/me

I agree with Petersko.

Also, the reasons you gave for dropping out sound fairly hyperbolic.
And if you don't know why someone would want to go to college other than for their future earning power or the degree (although the degree is sort of an arbitrary result) then you are misunderstanding a critical point being made by those advocating school.

And for the record, I'm not necessarily advocating college for all people (although I think school is always beneficial- a person's attitude regarding it is often times the problem), but we are talking about high school here. high school

Last edited:
They are barely fit for day to day use.
shiit aint that the craziest thing i heard all day. try tell that to everybody who talks it.

I'm frequently around people who talk it. What you give up for the style is the clarity.

If you're happy, more power to you. I said that above. But I do feel a little bad for anybody who never expands their world
Who ever said that you acnt expand your wolrd without education.
I mean the physical world. It goes back to the point about travel costing money.

the capacity to learn dont come from a school.

Actually, a large part of it does.

^^Maybe for you. the CAPACITY to learn - the interest, the drive, the care to learn?
That has always been KILLED by going to school for me.

Its a "learning factory."

Ive learned more in my 3 years out of schoo, about art, music, poems, work, life, interactions with people, etc, than i ever did in all my years of school.

And if you don't know why someone would want to go to college other than for their future earning power or the degree (although the degree is sort of an arbitrary result) then you are misunderstanding a critical point being made by those advocating school.

P funk i NEVER said this. I do inderstand why. but to me, i woudl rather teach it to myself. i aint got enough money to go to college, i dont want to go to college to learn shit i would learn through rea llife,

i woudl rather make friends with somebody whose cuban and learn spanish through takling to them than i woudl sitting in a class listening to a teacher

i woudl rather learn about art by going to a art show and looking at the paintings then going home and making my own than istting in a class listening to a book

i would rather buy a guitar and teach myself how to play it than take lessons (and i play pretty damn good now, saved upa nd bought one when i was 14 and now i can play just from listening to music and learning by ear.)

Im a hands on persn, i am about real life experience and real time, i just dont learn the same as other ppl do

so no it aint that i dont understand why.

its just that i dont understand why I would ever want to pay somebody to teach me something THEIR WAY when i could learn it MY WAY in a way that interested and captivated me, for free :)

AND, since i aint in a field or ever plan to be in a field of work where college would be necessary, the 2 reasons, (personal enrichment thru schooling and the practical money-degree thing) dont apply, then theres no reason for me'

But i do agree, thsi WAS about ghischool. i dotn know where or how it got off track.

it was just people saying yea or no or something here and there and somehow it turned into a college talk too

Well lets try and get back to the highschool shit.

Did you drop out? Do you regret it? Are you glad you did? what did you learn from dropping out (bad idea, good idea, did you grow up and mature, did you get more immature and just fuck around, etc.)?

^ That's not what capacity means.

And you seem to think all school is is some white guy reading from a teacher's manual and having his students regurgitating facts to him.

That is not what it is about, and good teachers do not teach this way. In college I had a professor who specialized in Amazonian ecology. He was from Brazil and was an expert in the field. His graduate students (and some undergrads) would travel down to Brazil with him every year and work with the indigenous people and the Brazilian government to try and save, to a certain extent, the land from being completely deforested. You may say, "Oh, if I wanted to learn about the Amazon I'd just talk to someone from South America or get a book from the library." But would you, in your current capacity and thinking, be able to do that?

Now there are people who don't go to school and have an inner drive to make a difference or do something like I described above, but it certainly isn't easy and it certainly happens far less than those with a fair amount of schooling.

Another thing, you tend to make sweeping comments and then later specify that you were only talking about things related to you. As in, "If you aren't going for the degree or money then who cares?" Which you later change to, "I'm talking about for me. If I don't care about it..."

And I italicized high school not to bring the discussion back around (although I guess we do need to get back on topic), but to just pound it into my head that people are actually talking about dropping out of high school as if it is a good thing. I thought that thinking went the way of segregation or something. Education, you could argue, is the leading determinant in the success of a country. Poverty, corruption and disease are rampant in the countries with the lowest levels of education.

I said before and I'll say it again, it isn't school that is the problem. It is your "I don't give a shit" attitude that is the problem.

no, i didn't drop out of HS but i did get kicked out in 10th grade for drinking. luckily i decided to straighten my ass up and start working harder on school. i'm currently in a community college about to transfer to a 4 year and after i get my BA, off to law school i go =]

lacey k-

why do you feel the need to defend yourself so violently when you aren't being attacked - words are merely words and people's opinions are people's opinons. if you want someone to respect your opinion than you should start by respecting other people's opinion and quit attacking any poster that is pro-education. education isn't for everyone but it can make life a hell of a lot easier. that's all i'm saying. that and maybe grow up a little bit.

I didn't drop out of highschool..but junior and senior year i did homeschooling, because i wanted a full time job when i turned 16.. I managed to have a fulltime job and get strait A's...homeschooling was a piece of cake..I lucked out in not having to do a junior paper either..ahah..I even got to walk the line with my fellow classmates AND got a diploma from the regular highschool. On my records, it doesn't show i went to homeschooling, it shows i went to the regular high school! and it was way easier..haha.

I started to go to community college, but i took a year off while i was living out on my own, then i moved back in home when a bunch of bad shit went down...I had a bunch of 2nd thoughts about school, but after roaming the city for long enough, i've come to realize how important a college education is,...for ME . I'm not going to say anyone else needs it...I dont NEED it, i want it. I dont NEED to live comfortably, i WANT to...i dont want to have to worry about money all the time. I dont want to live in a place where i constantly feel in danger. I dont want to live somewhere that is always crowded, or has bad weather...i can get what i want, so long as i do my homework. It's what my dad always told me. "Do your homework, get your toys.' Toys for me is my own house in a location of my desire, with a reliable car, my constantly improving music studio, and a SHIT LOAD OF DRUGS. mauhaha.

i didnt..."drop out" per se...but what happened was my senior year, i got kicked out of my house...and between the emotional shit, and figuring out where i was going to stay...my mom having the school police officer take me to get psycologically evaluated cuz someone said i was suicidal...and moving into a house where i could do whatever the fuck i wanted...and discovering a new love for drugs...i didnt have much time / give a fuck about school....so by the end, i WENT to school...but it was mainly just so i could get stoned at lunch etc...and by the end of it, they were looking for reasons to expell me...so i figured no way in HELL they'd let me come back to finish the credits...and i didnt want to anyways....so i pretty much just didnt graduate...bout' to do the G.E.D. thang....i never did well in classroom settings anyways.

the ability to speak intelligently and express yourself clearly and cogently makes getting a job a hell of a lot easier. Communication is incredibly important anyway, but first impressions that you leave on people are defined just as much by what you say and how you say it as how you look.

Yelling "YO WHAT UP???" into the fine might be fine with friends, but it could get you fired in a professional environment.

Lacey, i agree about the importance of being able to teach yourself something--i taught myself to play guitar as well--but speaking correctly is an indispensable skill that's hard to learn without practice, just like learning any other language. Just like with slang.

Speaking (and writing) is your ability to translate your thoughts and ideas into words, and a reflection of who you are. Like Petersko said, why would you want to compromise that expression? You say you don't need language skills now--but what about later, when it'll be harder for you to break the ghetto habit even though it could serve as a roadblock to your future?

Most kids who start college end up having to take remedial reading and writing classes before they can move on--and most of them simply cannot comprehend what they're doing wrong or why it's required of them. That says a lot about the state of education in the US. I've read some terrifying admissions essays from kids who got accepted; I've edited papers for college seniors and literally had to teach them basic grammar. It's a sad state of affairs and a sad fact--most people can't write well.

GuineaPig, more power to you for getting a GED, don't lag on that shit. don't give up on school tho.

I didn't drop out, but I sure didn't graduate with a 4.0 and got suspended 3 or 4 times. I had a 3.8 until sometime late 10th grade. I started using a lot more after that, came to school blazed among other things every day, but still stayed in honor classes (which is where I believe I made my mistake). I started doing more poorly in honors classes and eventually graduated in 04 after I'd gotten my GPA down to a low C. I could have graduated with a higher GPA had I taken myself out of the honors classes and put in normal classes, but lacked the motivation. :)

I've since just gone straight into tech school, completed 3 semesters with a decent GPA, and after one more semester (which I'm actually having to delay and not take this summer, due to putting 100% effort into getting opiate clean) should have enough credits to transfer to Georgia State University or University of Georgia for a 4 year degree in one of a few programs I'm thinking about. I thought about dropping out and getting my GED many times in highschool, because there were a few tracks I could have taken at that point that didn't sound too bad to me at the time, but now I guess I'm glad I didn't.

I'm just trying to maximize my potential income level while still chillin and havin fun. If it were ruining the latter two for me, then I wouldn't be doing it. After I get my 4 year (or while I'm getting it if I feel the need) I might join the Air Force (for the help with tuition, as well as the pay, bonuses I'd recieve for enlisting and doing the job I'd be choosing, discipline, and respectability and help getting employed somewhere doing what I want). The Air Force is still iffy though. I'm going to take this 1 semester break to think about that, along with a few other important "future" things.

All of this is just me though. I don't disrespect anyone for doing what makes them happy, as long as they're not hurting anyone else and are doing alright for themselves (meaning they have the ability to provide the basic life neccesities for themselves). Hell, I believe no matter what you're doing, if you aren't happy, then you should probably be doing something else. There are tons of possibilites and it's not difficult to explore them and find something that fits what you're looking for.

^^Maybe for you. the CAPACITY to learn - the interest, the drive, the care to learn?
That has always been KILLED by going to school for me.

Interest, drive, and care to learn do not relate to capacity.

You can have all the interest, drive, and care and completely LACK the capacity.

Higher level learning requires that you train to do it. School not only teaches you the fundamentals - it should also prime your mind for the task of absorbing higher and more complex concepts.

If all you aspire to is to be barely mediocre, then dropping out of school isn't really a big deal.

Remember, though. You are granted a great gift. The thinkers of the past, some of whom died for their beliefs, and some of whom suffered greatly, hand you the knowledge that it took them thousands of years to accumulate. And you can learn it for free before you graduate from secondary school.

Education is POWERFUL. And a bargain at ANY price.

Ive learned more in my 3 years out of schoo, about art, music, poems, work, life, interactions with people, etc, than i ever did in all my years of school.

I don't want to be rude, but I question whether you really know much about art, music and poems. I studied classical music for 12 years (guitar and theory), and I've played for 25. They teach masters programs in literature, music and art in Universities.

You may think you know something about these things because you wrote a few poems, or feel you have an intimate connection to art or music, but at some point you'll realize how much there is to know - and as a result, how little you know. Even with my background, I know incredibly little about music.

Learning more than you did in school isn't exactly hard. Especially since you didn't finish school.

The question you might ask yourself is, "In the past three years have I learned as much about art, music and poems as I would have if i had spent the past three years being educated full-time on these subjects?"

Lacey K you sound like a pretty smart girl to me. Maybe you dont have the diploma or the College education but you've made something of your life and your happy. So just enjoy life. Im pretty sure having a college education doesn't guarantee you happiness. (Sorry I cant post any links to studies supporting this , its just an observation).

In reply to the thread. I dropped out of high school. Yes I regret it. I'm also pissed that there was no support when I was at school for people who weren't suited to university. Thanks to the forward thinking of some of this countries politicians , anyone who dared think of a non academic career was left to fend for themselves. None of my teachers encouraged me to get a trade. Electricians , plumbers , carpenters etc can make a great living in this country. Some people might think that a job as a carpenter is just bang , hit a couple of nails but I'm willing to bet its a lot more challenging a job than some people would realise. Then again its not for everyone, you actually have to get your hands dirty and use your brain (not to mention fix fuck ups made by the architect). Unfortunately the way things are at the moment we have to import people from other countries due to a severe skills shortage.
Any HR or advertising gurus out there who know how to construct a 66kva transmission line ? No ? shit better bring some in from the phillipines then. lol
Im not bagging people that have worked hard to broaden their mind and achieve their goals. Just dont make the mistake of thinking its the only way to have a happy , productive , fulfilling life. Or that you are any better than someone who hasn't got the bit of paper. Peace

Last edited:
Graduated high school with honors . . . flunked out of college my first year, thus losing a full ride (thanks, Everclear!!!) . . . went three years at another uni for a subject I now know I loathe (journalism) and about to embark on going to another school, this time a tech school, for something I now know is in my heart. <3 <----gotta follow that motherfucker.

MyBL>Lacey K>Ignore List:

+ Kuuyku

Anyways,

All of this is just me though. I don't disrespect anyone for doing what
makes them happy, as long as they're not hurting anyone else and are doing alright for themselves (meaning they have the ability to provide the basic life neccesities for themselves). Hell, I believe no matter what you're doing, if you aren't happy, then you should probably be doing something else. There are tons of possibilites and it's not difficult to explore them and find something that fits what you're looking for.

Word.

Petersko -

"You may think you know something about these things because you wrote a few poems, or feel you have an intimate connection to art or music, but at some point you'll realize how much there is to know - and as a result, how little you know. Even with my background, I know incredibly little about music."

I never said i know all there is to know but i hear that smirk in your voice thinking im some dumb ass lil hoodrat who likes tagging and sketching but dont know shit about art

Lets talk about speakin too soon

you wouldnt know all the time ive put into learning about this shit. Dawg I MAJORED IN COMMERCIAL ARTS IN HIGH SCHOOL - i spent the first half of my day everyday in a art shop learning about art aight and i still learned more.

i dont know why yall are doubting that i am capable of teaching myself mroe than school could when it comes to certain subjects. dont believe if you dont wanna believe but if youre in the mood sometime lets talk about nikki giovanni lets talk about langston huges and maya angelou. lets talk about romare bearden and wassily kandinsky and paul klee and picasso and gaugin lets get down with some matisse aight? lets read us some sylvia plath and lorraine hansberry and zora neale hurston and james baldwin next time you wanna talk about i dont know much about art.

you dont think i learned to do art like i do by not reading art books or not spending hours at the library reading and studying grays anatomy or not , when i was lucky enough to go, paying attention to what i was seeing when i went to museums

FUCK YOU if you think just because i talk how i talk im from where im from, that i aint busted my ass and ate up all the knowledge i could get about art and these things that i care about

FUCK YOU if you wanna talk like you think i dont know what im talking about when i say i know a little more than you would think from only looking skin deep. go head, doubt. you aint gotta recognize the truth for it to be true.

but if you wanna just fuckin admit that it IS possible for you to make yourself if you got it inside you to do that, then is when youre gonna stop lookin like a typical-ass do what youre told mufucka who believes what they tell you.

i never said i was anti education or anti school i said IT WASNT WHAT WORKED FOR ME. schooling is great if its worth something, i dont knwo where the hell you went to school but i sure wasnt learning shit in mine. when you attend a juvenile detention center drop-off masquerading as a highschool aint much learnin goin on. even if you wanted to aint like the teachers could teach you anything.

Straight up think what you wanna think but im done defending myself cuz i know where i stand and in the end thats all that matters. dont matter what yall think about it when it comes down to it even tho its serving a purpose as a discussion on here

youre talking about makin yourself better and schooling like it only comes from a college or school. shit maybe thats how it is for you. but dont be acting like thats the only way

and if you refuse to accept that it may be a small exception but there are people out there willing to take it all into their own hands and succeed at it too - if you cant see that then youre the one who aint expanding your horizons.

all the intelligence in the world locked up inside a closed mind aint worth shit.