View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Did we have bad trips? (LSD)

frontbluntt

Bluelighter
So me and two friends each ate 1 and 1/3 tabs of acid each which we had been told was quite strong.

we were at my girl's house and she and one of our other friends ate some mushrooms.

Anyways, about maybe an hour and a half after ingesting I started feeling pretty weird and fucked up, but soon it turned into a really bad feeling. It got more and more unconfortable but I didn't say anything to my friends because I didn't want to be a downer. They smoked a little weed and came back inside to where I was and one of them confessed he was feeling horrible too, so I told him I was also and then my third friend also agreed he felt awful. I had no visuals, but the feeling I had was one of the worst psychological pain I've ever felt, and god was it persistent. It slowly decreased in intensity over th next ten hours or so. I got visuals like an hour after I started feeling horrible and they lasted about three hours or so. This experience was complete hell and has scared me from taking acid again.

my question is, did we get bad acid, does bad acid even exist? We all shared exactly these same symptoms of complete agony and it seems weird that all of us had such bad trips.

i just am reluctant to give up on what so many people call their favorite chemical, although the agony and pain i suffered through makes me never want to touch it again in my whole life

acid?
mushrooms?
both?

If i felt that bad after eating mushrooms, i would have gotten myself to a hospital quick....

bad acid is just a not so potent blotter IMO. it is possibly you may have got another substance on that blotter but since you have already eaten it there is no way to say for sure. All psychedelics can be easily effected by set, setting and any number of things. what did you all eat before hand? greasy junk food is bound to make you feel like shit while tripping.

so there is no "Bad" acid. And even if it was another substance it isn't likely that you would all have the same bad reactions to it. I personally enjoy a lot of the stuff that occasionally gets sold as acid.

eating junk food beforehand can make you feel awful while tripping? I have never heard that before

Yup there is bad acid and you could have gotten some. If the chemist doesn't take his time and fully clean all the impurities out of the final product, you get some dirty/bad acid.

Copied from another site:

TYPES OF CRYSTAL

Needlepoint -very pure(95%) white powerdery crystal,was available in small amount`s. The best of the best

White Fluff -Very pure(95%) white light flakes of crystal. Still around and the most sought after. very pure

Silver -Good and clean(85-90%)-light greyish crystal. Was an unbelievable amount of this around in the late eighty`s and early nineties. Very good stuff. My first thumbprint was this kind. If you ate acid in the 80-90`s you probably sampled some silver.

Amber -Decent(70%?) This crystal varied from a light amber color to an almost dark brown color.Was always available.One batch called quadricept amber was the color of light honey and was very good.Lot`s a people worked with this crystal but I always would use silver instead since it was better and the same price.

Lavender -(60-70%?) light purple to almost black colored crystal. Like amber it varied batch to batch.

TJ (tornado juice) - purity unknown. I seen this shit in about four different colors and it always scared me. No experiance with it.

Champagne -(50-60%) black crystal, nasty stuff IMHO. I worked with it once and swore to never touch it again.

So, if the acid is not pure, you will get the unpleasant side effects. Like an un-enjoyable experience.

Or you could have gotten another chemical other than lsd. Which is very possible. If I were you I would wait a while til you feel comfortable, then go out and try to find some lsd, that you know from experienced friends is the real deal. And best of luck if you do try it again. Lsd is one of the most beautiful things out there. <3

was it psychological pain from actual emotions that you have been keeping inside?

'bad trips' are often caused by our unconscious minds becoming tuned to our conscious minds, resulting in floods of emotions and thoughts that we are not always prepared to face. perhaps you have been dealing with some difficult situation in your life and your mind is tired of "ignoring it" so it tried to get you to face it and use the acid to make positive CHANGES in your life.

Wow I didn't think people still dropped anymore (silly). I had a really bad trip about 10 years ago and never touched the stuff again. We used to say that it had strychnine in it if it was bad, but I think that was BS. Food never seemed to affect the trip though. I could just tell from different types we got. I agree with some of the posters above though, it could be something other than LSD.

We used to say that it had strychnine in it if it was bad, but I think that was BS.

You were right. It's a silly old urban legend that never seems to give up & go away... :\

To my knowledge acid is really the only drug that you can fit on blotter (because of microgrammical amounts) making impurity impossible. There are probably a few other drugs active at super low levels, but I don't think they would be easily accessible.

This is the reason the strychnine myth was impossible, because you need 10-30mg+ of strychnine to hurt someone, up to 120mg to kill someone. Blotter acid is usually like 50mcg-500mcg, and I really don't think you can fit much more material on a standard size piece...

was it psychological pain from actual emotions that you have been keeping inside?

'bad trips' are often caused by our unconscious minds becoming tuned to our conscious minds, resulting in floods of emotions and thoughts that we are not always prepared to face. perhaps you have been dealing with some difficult situation in your life and your mind is tired of "ignoring it" so it tried to get you to face it and use the acid to make positive CHANGES in your life.

no, it wasn't like an emotion, it was like a general feeling of intense discomfort throughout my whole body. It wasn't a feeling I've ever really felt before, just like terrible dysphoria I guess. I just was begging for the feeling to go away the entire time. It felt like my insides were dying, it was horrible. Had I not felt like this, I would have actually had an enjoyable time. I still had visuals at a point in the trip and I was laughing at stupid shit even though I was dying inside.

My main question is, is this what a bad trip feels like? Or is this something else alltogether? Because if this is a classic example of a bad trip, I don't think I want to spin the LSD roulette again.

And just for the record, I have tripped previously on mushrooms and on 2-CI and had amazing experiences without this type of feeling

no, it wasn't like an emotion, it was like a general feeling of intense discomfort throughout my whole body. It wasn't a feeling I've ever really felt before, just like terrible dysphoria I guess. I just was begging for the feeling to go away the entire time. It felt like my insides were dying, it was horrible. Had I not felt like this, I would have actually had an enjoyable time. I still had visuals at a point in the trip and I was laughing at stupid shit even though I was dying inside.

My main question is, is this what a bad trip feels like? Or is this something else alltogether? Because if this is a classic example of a bad trip, I don't think I want to spin the LSD roulette again.

And just for the record, I have tripped previously on mushrooms and on 2-CI and had amazing experiences without this type of feeling
Sounds like more of a really nasty body load than a bad trip. I tend to get that if I trip during cold weather. I can brush it off to a point, but it can get extremely irritating, sometimes to the point where it's slightly depressing. This is why I prefer tripping outside on a sunny summer day.

Yup there is bad acid and you could have gotten some. If the chemist doesn't take his time and fully clean all the impurities out of the final product, you get some dirty/bad acid.

Copied from another site:

TYPES OF CRYSTAL

Needlepoint -very pure(95%) white powerdery crystal,was available in small amount`s. The best of the best

White Fluff -Very pure(95%) white light flakes of crystal. Still around and the most sought after. very pure

Silver -Good and clean(85-90%)-light greyish crystal. Was an unbelievable amount of this around in the late eighty`s and early nineties. Very good stuff. My first thumbprint was this kind. If you ate acid in the 80-90`s you probably sampled some silver.

Amber -Decent(70%?) This crystal varied from a light amber color to an almost dark brown color.Was always available.One batch called quadricept amber was the color of light honey and was very good.Lot`s a people worked with this crystal but I always would use silver instead since it was better and the same price.

Lavender -(60-70%?) light purple to almost black colored crystal. Like amber it varied batch to batch.

TJ (tornado juice) - purity unknown. I seen this shit in about four different colors and it always scared me. No experiance with it.

Champagne -(50-60%) black crystal, nasty stuff IMHO. I worked with it once and swore to never touch it again.

So, if the acid is not pure, you will get the unpleasant side effects. Like an un-enjoyable experience.

Or you could have gotten another chemical other than lsd. Which is very possible. If I were you I would wait a while til you feel comfortable, then go out and try to find some lsd, that you know from experienced friends is the real deal. And best of luck if you do try it again. Lsd is one of the most beautiful things out there. <3

I'm going to skip over that fact that quoting an unattributed post from "another site" shouldn't instill anybody with a huge amount of confidence and go straight to the math of the situation. "Champagne" listed above at 50% purity means that in an average dose there's 50 ug of LSD and 50ug impurities. There are very few substances that are biologically active at that dosage.

The most probable theory (and it's just a theory) that I've ever heard was that lower dosages, hovering around threshold dose, don't allow you to properly disassociate so you wind up fighting with the trip instead of just letting it flow through you. That sounds a little like what happened in this case. I've never noticed a particularly bad body load from acid but maybe it's just because I'm focused on tripping.

Had any of you taken any other drug at all in the few days before tripping? Although rare, some drugs can cause some nasty interractions with even kindly ol' LSD. I got a pretty bad case of Serotonin Syndrome once when I took acid with just a tiny amount of tramadol in my system I had recently been prescribed for back pain. These kinda interractions are certainly rare but if you get unlucky can produce serious physical and mental pain. I really wished it would just kill me for the whole time it lasted cos the pain was unbearable. The delirium was not much fun either. A relatively high dose of acid was involved for me but I could quite see it would have been "just" very unpleasant and dysphoric if I'd gone with a lower dose of acid.

Just another possible possibility but if no other drug was involved either something other than LSD (DOx would be most likely probably) or plain ol' Set & Setting perhaps - can have way more effect on a trip than many give it credit for sometimes.

'It wasn't like an emotion, it was like a general feeling of intense discomfort throughout my whole body. It wasn't a feeling I've ever really felt before, just like terrible dysphoria I guess. I just was begging for the feeling to go away the entire time. It felt like my insides were dying, it was horrible. Had I not felt like this, I would have actually had an enjoyable time. I still had visuals at a point in the trip and I was laughing at stupid shit even though I was dying inside.

My main question is, is this what a bad trip feels like? Or is this something else alltogether? Because if this is a classic example of a bad trip, I don't think I want to spin the LSD roulette again.'

I've just experienced exactly the same thing with something that was supposed to be LSD, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. I've always had a great time on acid, was looking forward to the trip and was well prepared, well hydrated and fed, in a good state of mind with people I trusted in a beautiful spot. The come up after about 45 mins was difficult with nausea, muscle tension and generally massive but indefinable unpleasant body load that was so intense I just lay face down moaning and trying not to hyperventilate. I thought it would pass. After about another hour of 'are we having fun yet' I realised that no, this was it. For the duration, however long THAT was going to be. Then it got worse. I know the psychological pain you are describing. I was transported to a place of utter alienation, loneliness and despair. After maybe five hours it got a bit better and I was able to walk around and appreciate just a little bit the magic of the universe and about 10 hours in had a few flashes of euphoria. The unpleasant body load stayed with me for over 12 hours and I was still quite out of it 24 hours later, but fortunately the nightmare faded and I'm back to normal now.
This was a bad trip but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a bad ACID trip. My partner who took the same dose (1 blotter each, not bitter FYI) exerienced the same thing but not as bad (being 20kg heavier than me). It was like nothing he's ever had either.

I read on another thread where someone was saying the nasty body load people experience on DOx was 'psychosomatic' - by which he meant they were expecting it, therefore it happened. That really pisses me off that some people can be so dismissive of others' experiences. You KNOW yourself, and your reaction to different drugs. If his 'psychosomatic' theory was right, I should have got what I usually get on LSD - a great time with very little negative body load. From what others have said, I think the OP and I were given some other nasty thing passed off as LSD - probably DOx.

First of all, a "bad trip" (I don't really like that term) can be a lot of things. Sometimes it includes a feeling of malaise, but not always. Nobody here can tell you what it was that you took. If you're planning to trip again, think about investing in a reagent test. Those can't give absolute certainty either, but in some cases it will at least let you know that what you have does not contain LSD.

I don't know where you got the part about 'psychosomatic' from, but in general that doesn't mean that "it happened because you expected it, so you have no one to blame, but yourself", but it refers to the phenomenon of projecting ones mental unease on the body. It just means that there isn't in fact any problem with your body, even though it might feel like it.
Sometimes an unpleasant bodyload is just about pent up energy that want's to be spent. I remember one time I took 2C-E on a festival, when I had only very little experience with the substance, the bodyload hit me hard and I was lying around for hours feeling like I was coming up with the flu and even after it got better I didn't want to leave the campsite. In retrospect I'm pretty sure if I had started walking around or dancing I would have felt much better in a matter of minutes.

Oh and you realize the thread you dug up is five years old, right?

First of all, a "bad trip" (I don't really like that term) can be a lot of things. Sometimes it includes a feeling of malaise, but not always. Nobody here can tell you what it was that you took. If you're planning to trip again, think about investing in a reagent test. Those can't give absolute certainty either, but in some cases it will at least let you know that what you have does not contain LSD.

I don't know where you got the part about 'psychosomatic' from, but in general that doesn't mean that "it happened because you expected it, so you have no one to blame, but yourself", but it refers to the phenomenon of projecting ones mental unease on the body. It just means that there isn't in fact any problem with your body, even though it might feel like it.
Sometimes an unpleasant bodyload is just about pent up energy that want's to be spent. I remember one time I took 2C-E on a festival, when I had only very little experience with the substance, the bodyload hit me hard and I was lying around for hours feeling like I was coming up with the flu and even after it got better I didn't want to leave the campsite. In retrospect I'm pretty sure if I had started walking around or dancing I would have felt much better in a matter of minutes.

Oh and you realize the thread you dug up is five years old, right?

Thanks Tokezu, all good advice. It appears I have hijacked someone else's thread. As you say, it's 5 years old. But still relevant to people like me who google their way around the net trying to educate themselves. Time goes on but LSD is timeless. As for other synthetic hallucinogens, who knows? For all I know there are others out there now. All I care about is getting hold of the real stuff, which works for me. (I will get a reagent kit if I can find one.)

btw I agree with you about the other guy's definition of psychosomatic. What he was referring to was the placebo or more accurately the nocebo effect - you are expecting something to be painful and that becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. To my understanding 'psychosomatic' these days means physical symptoms or illness which have emotional distress as a causative or contributing factor. There is no dividing line between body and brain - and who should know this better than we do?

It would be interesting to know whether you would have snapped out of your 2C-E thing if you'd got up and walked around. In general it does help, I've found that too. On this occasion my partner (who was very worried about me) kept urging me to stand up and go somewhere else and I kept saying 'it doesn't matter where I go, the problem is inside me'. When I finally did get up I was too uncoordinated to walk properly anyway. Yeah, it wasn't good.