Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Did Moses drank ayahuasca

Wutang_Forever

Bluelighter
http://www.samwoolfe.com/2013/07/is-judaism-based-on-use-of-ayahuasca.html
So the burning bush was Acacia, as was the wood used to build the Arc of the Covenant. Syrian rue grew naturally in the region, and so did Acacia. All the parts were there for Moses (or whoever) to make something resembling ayahuasca. It would make sense, this was the same region that Zoroastrianism originated, from which Judaism and Hinduism got their start. Over time the recipe was lost to the ages, but the experience could have been the basis for Zoroastrianism. The Hindu "soma" could be ayahuasca!

Not sure about this but kind of related, look up where stonehenge is, and then realize the facts that liberty caps grow wild in the region, wonder what kind of rituals they had in that area...

Maybe not aya, but I think for some of the old testament, some of the authors, including moses, would have been at least considered schizo by today's standards or have some type of mental illness. There are a lot of schizophrenics that have spiritual experiences quite frequently, people going to heaven and hell, angels/demons, etc. I'm not taking any jabs but the thought has crossed my mind.

I think people need to stop attributing literally anything to psychedelics. It's getting ridiculous, we can't even have creative people nowdays without a suggestion they are 100% using something.

I think people need to stop attributing literally anything to psychedelics. It's getting ridiculous, we can't even have creative people nowdays without a suggestion they are 100% using something.

What psychedelic were you on when you had this epiphany?

It's hard to have visions of god while sober, it seems logical to me to attribute visionary states to psychedelics or perhaps schizophrenia.

I doubt he ever actually existed. Same with Jesus Christ.

I am going to agree with the majority and vote no. They were just searching for explanations and creating stories to justify/chastise the actions of man as well as create a series of "feel good" stories in a very undeveloped and often scary world.

This is the age of science and you are using today's idea of ease of access and knowledge to explain the actions of people over 2000 years ago. My guess is it is way way simpler then them taking psychedelics and is more then likely them creating stories as a means to understand the world and make it less scary. The religious types were often the societal outcasts so it would be hard for them to travel and obtain things that were rare or hard to get. I am not saying it couldnt be the case at all I am just saying that you can not let todays view of the world warp your view of the past.

Remember we are talking about men in robes who had to hide their religion from leaders in fear of dying and often times had no possessions or money.

This is assuming that people 2000 years ago took psychedelics and reacted in exactly the same way as you and your mates do. Even nowadays most people don't like psychedelics - imagine how terrified they would've been when they believed it was "demonic possession", that it was dangerous and that they would lose their minds.

I've never bought any of the primitive western man tripping theories. South america is a different case because everything you touch over there makes you trip so it's possible to imagine a scenario where use was no big thing.

wutang_forever said:

I'll charitably interpret this as a request for elaboration, and I suspect you didn't read my link.

First question, a botanical one, did the Acacia spp. present in ancient Palestine even contain appreciable amounts of DMT? I think that's more from the Australian ones, but I'm open to correction ... but anyway, yeah, Ismene is right. The only thing in the Bible (and I know my Bible) that really sounds trippy in the subjective sense of this prolific drug user is Ezekiel's wheel (at 1:16 et seq.), and that, together with the visionary experiences in the Apocalypse and elsewhere, seem more like transcendent, revelatory, endogenous experiences than drug effects. And if you're from a historical-critical model doesn't the Burning Bush etc. make more mythological sense than the sense of being a trip report, and don't the apocalyptic books (Daniel, Apoc., etc.) seem more allegorical than anything else? Clearly with parallels to the world around the writers. Hardly something that needs serious drugs to wrest out of one's consciousness if we're seeing it merely as a literal product. If we see it as a product of divine inspiration, well, that's another question, but inasmuch as we are talking about drugs-qua drugs, and the Bible is rather explicit on this, there is only real lead, despite stoner conjecture about "every green leaft ..." and wild botanical speculations about Acaciaand Peganum spp. (the latter's significance in terms of constructing drug brews in ancient Palestine is questionable and the latter, while available, is a stretch to assume it was incorporated to some kind of concoction). That lead is the NT dis legomena φαρμακεία, from whence the Lt. pharmakos and our "pharmacology," etc which in most Eng. Bible translations is usually rendered as "witchcraft" or "sorcery." looking at the Classical Gk. sources a better definition would be divination by means of potions which sounds rather like ayahuasca. And all the references to φαρμακεία (cf. Gal. 5:20, Apoc. 18:23) are uniformly negative, and in reference to various Greco-Roman pagan rites.

Now, the idea that Moses was tripping on ayahuasca reminds me of a certain trend in late 19th century Biblical criticism that tried to simultaneously de-supernaturalize and affirm the literal truth of Biblical narratives, i.e., the parting of the Red Sea was due some freakish weather patterns. C.f. my link above to Parallelomania and just generally, this is some discredited stuff. This is all over the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, which is published around 1915, final ed. 1934, and is an excellent example of this trend while simultaneously being a great example of the finest 19th century Christian scholarly tradition of seeing both the forest and the trees, almost up there with Schaff's History of the Christian Church -- possibly my favorite book) ... basically this trend was reaction of conservatives to the better arguments of the Higher Criticism while still maintaining the literal truth of the Scriptures that were passed down. Seeing as this is not a very popular hermeneutic today we can make judgement as to it's efficacy in integrating the two perspectives. Once cultural attitudes towards religious orthodoxy changed, it was simply laughed out of town, and people divided into unbelievers, liberals (who think basically that Christ had a message that we ought to be nice to one another and promote social justice), conservatives (who seek to maintain the status quo ante ... this is where I fall) and reactionary fundamentalists (protestant) and radtrads/sedevacantist types (Catholics) (who are, more often than not, a bunch of florid lunatics although they have a number of quite respectable intellectual talents among their number.)

I am a believing Catholic and if that discredits my opinion, IMO that's on you, but I'm not speaking from a sense of my Scriptual hermenuetic, but just the fact that it is plain and simply eisegetical to read modern New Age/ancient South American uses of drugs into ancient Palestinian scriptures. It's a fun fantasy for the rather expansive and fluffy New Age drug enthusiast but from a historical and scriptural hermeneutic perspective it's patent nonsense.

Last edited:
I would even find more reliable to believe that Jesus was on MDMA when he said to "love one's neighbour" :)

Last edited:
I'll charitably interpret this as a request for elaboration, and I suspect you didn't read my link.

Nah dude, i didn't see the link.

There is alot of parallelomania (new vocab word... cool) at play here, but that's the fun of biblical myths. There's so many ways it can be interpreted, who's to say what's wrong or right? Of course it's a stretch to say Moses drank ayahuasca, but these stories were inspired by some profound metaphysical type thinking. Maybe in my world Moses was an ayahuasca drinking, godspeaking, middle eastern shaman ;) . Guess you'd have to ask the dudes who wrote all this down.