• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Did Marijuana make me ill? Please help!! (My story of starting and my random illness)

PepperJ

Greenlighter
Okay hey guys, I really need some help. The past 2 days have been the worst of my life, and I'm finally feeling well enough to type out what's been wrong with me. I desperately need some input so please read everything below and help! :( I decided just to write my entire story in order to not miss any details that might be important without me realizing. Sorry if it's too long, the ranting helps. Scroll down for the ******** line if you don't wanna read how I started/what illnesses I have and just get right to the problem.
Real quick the medications I take daily are:
Vyvanse (50mg)- switches back and forth from 50 to 60 every so often because of medical reasons. I don't know if I have ADHD/ADD but all I know is I can't focus in school without this amazing stuff
Zoloft (50mg) for depression
Remeron (30mg) for insomnia/depression

Today is March 10th, 2015. I'm a 17 year old female senior in high school (tbh I'm not sure if this site has an age limit, but if it does please don't delete this post because of that. I really need help). Back in December of last year, I tried Marijuana for the first time. My entire life I have suffered from extreme depression, generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), bi-polar disorder (I don't really have bipolar disorder; I really borderline personality disorder, but only 18 years or older can be diagnosed with a personality disorder so to keep it simple my Psychiatrist Psychologist always just say bi-polar disorder), insomnia, and optic nerve hypoplasia (a very rare type of Glaucoma that gives me awful migraines and completely blinded my left eye, however I was incredibly lucky and it never touched my right eye). I tried every medication under the sun to treat these but none ever helped. I tried everything from Xanax to SSRIs to Trazodone. They would help ease the pain of some of the symptoms, but never offered that much relief.

Anyway, back in December I tried Marijuana and oh my god did I HATE it the first time!! I felt like if I got up and moved around, I'd be sick. I was starving and uncontrollably shaking. I had to just lay there and wait it out, which luckily passed quickly (a few hours at most). My friend (we'll call her Jenna for now) who did it with me the first time felt awful and said something like
"You don't really get high the first time, but most people don't react so terribly like this. Marijuana isn't for everyone, etc etc"

I decided it wasn't right for me, and didn't want to touch it for awhile. When school started back up after the break in January, I was thinking a lot of my boyfriend (we'll call him Chris) who killed himself when I was in 9th grade around this time 4 years ago. I never truly recovered from his death, and spent the last 4 years being stupid with alcohol and abusing my Vyvanse (I'm prescribed 60mg, but I would double/triple up to feel good...but I now realize the high wasn't worth the low) to cope with his death. It was a Friday and I didn't want to resort to my same, alcoholic tendencies. Especially because of the history of abuse in my family. So I called Jenna up, told her how I was feeling about Chris, and asked if she thought trying Marijuana again would help. She was already away for the weekend, but was happy to hear I wasn't being impulsive and doing my usual bad habits and asked her Mom if she could help me. Jenna has the coolest mom in existence (I'm ver close with her). Her mother swung by my house in the next few hours and dropped off a 1/4th of her own grown stuff and a brand new crack pipe (I had nothing to smoke with and needed something small to conceal from my parents since they didn't know at all), gave me a hug, and told me to feel better. I smoked about 2 bowls of it in my hot tub and tried to relax before my parents got home.

I was fucking GONE. I was ridiculously high and had completely forgotten about being upset about Chris. I spent the rest of that night laughing so hard I would legit have tears rolling down my face, eating everything I could get my hands on, and attempting to talk with friends over skype. Overall an incredible night and when I went to bed, I completely forgot to take my sleeping pills because I was already out like a light. I slept the entire night without waking up once and woke up the next day at like 10am (ridiculously unheard of for me) with a huge smile on my face. Easy to say, I fell in love with Marijuana.
I smoked again that night, had the same experience, and basically just didn't stop smoking since...besides a weekend or two because I was waiting on one of my dealers.

Fast forward to now. I still smoke every day. I don't smoke before school or during school, only after and on weekends. Although not as powerful, I'm still loving every minute of it. I actually prefer the tolerance because I used to be too fucked up after smoking. Now I still get really relaxed, but I can function the rest of the day (no, it doesn't matter if it's Sativa or Indica. Both would mess me up function wise for the day when I started in their own different ways).
I still did fine in school. My grades dropped a tiny bit, but quickly came back up once I better organized my smoking schedule (basically no smoking until I finish homework and responsibilities were done. You know, that mistake). But other than that the only changes in my life was that I was happier and more outgoing. I eventually told my parents and neither cared so long as I didn't stink up the house with it since my grades looked fine.

*********************************ENOGUH STORY, HERE'S THE REAL ISSUE**************************************************************

This weekend I had to take a break that I was NOT ready for. AT ALL.
I was saving up all week to spend Friday on an ounce of Purple Urkle (I set the entire thing up a week in advance because I hate the feeling of not having any stash at all). I was getting it through a middle man who always gets me fire and is amazing about making accommodations for me (since he's also a good friend). I spend all of Friday and Saturday just laying around and spamming my middle guy's facebook inbox. I've been in a really bad slump the past week or two because of the weather, and I literally did nothing else those two days. I had trouble eating and drinking and slept like shit. However I overlooked it as my 60mg of Vyvanse I take daily doing it because the Vyvanse has done that to me before.

My middle man (we'll call him Andy) felt like total shit because the grower of the Purple Urkle was very set on selling me this batch and by Sunday, we both assumed he got arrested because all communications were suddenly dropped out of no where. However by the time it was Sunday I had felt incredibly nauseous and depressed because of the wasted weekend. I hadn't slept or eaten, and was desperate for a little relief. I took 300mg of Benedryl on Sunday (I think it was 8 pills) and tried to take a nap. I usually take 30mg of Remeron at night to fall asleep, but since that was failing I wanted to try something else. I felt a little sleepy, but nothing else much happened the rest of that night. I slept like shit...that's about all it did for me. The net day, Andy came through, however, and found someone else and was able to bring back an ounce by about 5pm on Sunday. By this time I was laying in bed unable to move.

I forced myself to get up and walk over to Andy's house because I thought the fresh air would help (I live in NY and the weather was actually incredibly warm; like the 40s or so). I walked downstairs to leave and smelled my brother making food. The smell was almost crippling it was so disgusting even though I didn't mind the food he was cooking. I just thought it was because of my lack of food in the past few days, and that once I smoked I'd feel better. 10 minute walk to Andy's house later and I'm standing in his house with him and his father chatting- trying to pretend I'm not deathly nauseous from the smell of once again food. Once I stepped outside, the fresh air made me feel a bit better and I walked back home.

Now this is where it gets crazy.

I get home and walk back in. The smell of the food my brother finished cooking overwhelmed me and I felt more nauseous than I ever had in my entire life. I assumed it was from the lack of appetite the past few days, and decided to smoke a few bowls to restore that appetite and eat again. In my backyard there's an enclosed tree house (we call it smoker's paradise) that I spend a good hour or two in each day. I grabbed my pipe, my lighter, and my ounce and stumbled outside to the treehouse. I got there, put my stuff down, opened my bag and began grinding a few nugs down for a bowl when suddenly I vomited. Out of absolutely no where, it forcefully came out of my mouth and nothing I could do would stop it. When I was done violently throwing up, I sat back down and gasped for air. I was PISSED. I thought it was the Benadryl after reading some horror stories of what it does at high dosages, but looking back I find it hard to believe because it didn't even make me that sleepy. I decided to still smoke the few bowls, and ruled out the possibility of it being marijuana. I went inside to rinse out my throat and to clean up. It was about 6pm when I returned, I took the hit and JESUS CHRIST WAS IT AWFUL!!!

I HAD NEVER TASTED SOMETHING SO ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

The pot tasted like throw up, smelled like throw up when smoked, and smelled very dull and low quality before being grinded. Usually smoking also makes me cough like crazy but it went down my throat much more smooth than normal. I assumed it was just because I threw up and kept smoking. The taste did not change. I immediately detected the indica strain when my body felt tingly and the pain in my stomach got more bearable. I was only able to smoke about a bowl or two (usually I can smoke 3-4) before I had to go inside because the high was short and the nauseous feeling was returning. Never once did I feel hungry...which is ridiculous for me because just a few days ago I was smoking with hardcore munchies as always (I get extreme munchies which isn't exactly a bad thing because I tend to forget). The rest of the night was absolutely HELL. I couldn't eat, every bone in my body ached, I threw up more, and I couldn't keep down any water or pills I swallowed because it would come right back up. I became incredibly pale and my mother decided it was time to go to the hospital by around 2am since I wasn't sleeping and it seemed to be a better option than me just laying on the floor in front of the toilet.
I arrive in the ER with one of the worst panic attacks of my life. My heart rate was speeding, I was sweating and shaking, and I couldn't stop hyperventilating and crying. WHAT THE HELL!? I never had anything like that before happen to me. At this point, it was over 30 hours since I took the benadryl so it was starting to look less and less like it was the Benadryl that was causing it...and when my blood/urine results came back as completely normal it seemed like even less of a possibility. I spent the next few hours hooked up to an IV that pumped 3 bags of fluids into me and some anti-nauseous medicine. During this time I didn't stop crying, everything hurt, I was so cold I they had to get like 50 blankets on me, and I was shaking uncontrollably. Oh and my ankles MY ANKLES UGH they were unbearable they ached so badly. More than anything else.
I begged my mother to take me home. The doctors saw my distress and gave me a prescription strength anti-nausea medication and discharged me Monday morning at about 6am. No sleep in over 30 hours, I returned home and only could sleep about 3 hours before waking up a feeling of still no hunger and just absolutely feeling like shit. Worst experience of my life. Yesterday (which was Monday) I took no medications besides my anti-nausea in hopes to see if it was my Vyvanse or Zoloft but I still felt shitty. I decided to try smoking a tiny bit of marijuana once more around noon in a desperate hope to have an appetite and luckily had some success...however it still tasted like vomit and I had to hold my breath. I ate a bit and relaxed my home day from school...but night time came and the nauseous feelings and extreme restlessness I had were returning. I took a Remeron at around 9pm and without any luck tried to sleep. I took all my pillows and blankets, made a makeshift bed on the ground, and once I got comfortable I passed out until about 9am the next day (which is today) and woke up feeling hungry and healthy again. WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO ME!?! Why does my marijuana taste like vomit now...like why. The buds are clean for sure, I don't know if it's the quality or what but I've got an ounce of this and I honestly think the taste is all in my head :(

Anyway guys, can you PLEASE help me out!? Why did I get so sick over the weekend like that? Should I stop smoking for awhile? Can a body withdrawal from THC so badly that they throw up? I really need some answers and I'm very concerned. There's no reason a completely healthy and active 17 year old be totally fine one minute and suddenly become crippled with nausea and aching bones the next (even if I didn't eat for a day. I've gone days without eating before and have had no issues because my Vyvanse kills my appetite.) This illness scared the living shit out of me and I'm scared it might come back if I smoke for some reason.

Other notes:
-I'm active and healthy
-I've never had a panic attack really before, but have had anxiety my whole life and have had episodes close but not exactly like a panic attack
-I'm not as depressed as I used to be when I was younger
-I'm feeling much better today and ate a big breakfast without taking/smoking anything
-I've never been sick before from Marijuana except the first time
-I'm 125lbs and 5 foot. I'll always end up getting my caloric intake even if I skip a day since I'll make it up the next few days. Again, MY ENTIRE LIFE I WOULD GO A FEW DAYS HERE AND THERE WITHOUT EATING!!! It never did ANYTHING like what happened the past few days.
-My marijuana still smells like vomit wtf
-No one I know or have been around is sick, and the last time I was sick was about a month ago with a little cold that went away very quickly
-I've taken m

Thank you so much for helping and I hope you enjoyed the little read.

Last edited by a moderator:
TLDR, but just from skimming through it I'll take a few guesses as to your situation...

First off, the prescription meds you list come with a world of side-effects and just because they are prescribed by a doctor does NOT mean they are safe, imo. I had a brother who tried to kill himself after taking "anti-depressants" and a co-worker who successfully did two weeks after stopping medication. Also, I've seen two close friends completely addicted to adhd medication they were prescribed to, with very real side-effects. I know this isn't what this thread is about, but for your own personal well being I'd suggest you consider trying to find balance in sobriety. It's a long journey but that struggles you will face will only benefit you in the long run... just my opinion.

as far as why weed makes you sick and why it tastes like vomit... well it could just be you got too high and your body reacted by puking to try to get rid of the "poison". I used to get really nausea and puke when I first started smoking and would get WAY too high. They say taste is the strongest sense tied to memory, so if there is association between weed and vomit it might be hard to break the two for a while. It could be something similar to puking after drinking way too much vodka and then not being able to drink vodka again for a while, sometimes years with some people. The taste association can be enough to trigger vomit for some.

I suggest you take some time and really do some of your own personal research into the side-effects of ALL the drugs you are taking, including both legal and illegal, both medication and recreation. Believe it or not, doctors do not always tell you about all the side effects or might not even be AWARE of some of the side effects and how two drugs can compound to create greater or more severe side effects.

And last thing, I noticed right before I went to send this that you said you sometimes skip a day when it comes to eating and "make it up" the next few days... This is VERY unhealthy and your body does NOT work that way. When your body experiences a caloric deficit, it borrows from essential parts of the body like muscle. When you don't eat and your body need calories it will break down MUSCLE first NOT FAT. Muscle is the fastest, easiest, and most available resource for the body to convert to energy when in deficit. Fat is a complex long term storage so when the body is at a deficit it can not burn fat. It actually causes the body to go into fat storing mode and store more fat while converting muscle into energy. The best way to maintain weight is to eat every day on regular intervals. Smaller portions 4-6 times a day. This will cause your metabolism to increase and decrease fat storage.

You wrote how you hadn't eaten much if at all the past few days that could be the issue, and it does seem as though maybe you smoked too much at once and had a panic attack, and you didn't like how the herb strain you had tasted, or maybe the type of cannabis the herb was is one that you don't like? I looked up how the strain of cannabis you have is an Indica did you ever react that way to an Indica strain before when you smoked other types of herb? Or maybe the person who grew it didn't cure the herb right?

You got sick because it sounds like based on what you posted that you smoked way too much at once, had anxiety or a panic attack, and not eating food is going to wreck havoc on your stomach and body. The smell of the food that your brother was cooking did not help either what was it? Did you eat any of it?

Welcome to BL, PepperJ. Sorry to hear about your situation. It doesn't seem very likely that the herb is the cause of your recent illness and what you're experiencing may be a symptom of a serious condition so if it persists it might not be a bad idea to get checked out, and then get a second opinion as well. If you're in need of any emotional support I would recommend checking out The Dark Side subforum. In the Other Drugs subforum you'll find some people more experienced with unwanted interactions of the other medications you're taking, and you can also visit Healthy Living when you want to be lectured about your eating habits :)

First the burning question: You'll probably be fine to keep smoking in future - don't worry - but this was just your body's way of telling you that you're not treating yourself right.

It doesn't sound like there's anything deeply wrong with you, but there was a confluence of bad shit that happened:

* Cannabis withdrawal is a real thing in chronic/heavy users (especially if it's not voluntary!)
* Having chronically low blood sugar from not eating can make you paradoxically sick
* taking time released amphetamines can make you sick and induce anxiety, as well as increasing your calorie burn rate and decreasing the feeling of hunger(!!)
* Adding sleep deprivation on top of that also is more stress for your body
* Bad emotional state doesn't help either.

People's bodies have an amazing ability to remember tastes and smells and put strong negative associations on them if they were sick after being exposed to the smell. It's a defense mechanism: your body doesn't want to eat anything that has made you sick previously.

It sounds like you just need to take a little better care of yourself. Everybody needs to eat and sleep, even if you might not feel like it. Food and rest should take priority before smoking weed. And if you're a healthy and active 17 year old you really do need 3 solid meals a day... you need to fuel your growing body. After a day or two of eating right, doing stuff you like to do, moderate smoking etc you should feel much better.

Last edited:
You weren't eating and took a bunch of drugs with a well established potential for producing anxiety. Your symptoms all point to low blood sugar and panic.

Hope you are better. Sorry, I've nothing to add - the other answers were spot on, I thought - but, man, you are a great writer! You should start writing short stories, you never know where it might lead...
:)

Sounds to me like it was most likely a variety of factors that just happened to all come together at once. Benadryl can actually have hangovers for around 36+ hours. Lots of people will just take a hit or two of tobacco, as this should regulate your cholinergic system. Also, randomly stopping medication you've been taking for a while probably made your situation worse. You may not go into WD from not taking your meds for one day, but I've been uncomfortable from it before. There's also the possibility that this new weed you got was sprayed with some weird pestacide or plant growth hormone, which doesn't hurt most people, but you had an adverse reaction to. This isn't super likely or anything, just trying to suggest things that may have contributed.

As for antidepressants, microdosing psilocybin is supposed to be leaps and bounds more effective at stimulating neurogenesis in the hippocampus (what zoloft does) than any of the SSRI's they use. If you're concerned about your meds, it's a natural alternative that works a lot better, both statistically and mechanically.

One more thing, paying attention in school is hard enough without adhd. School is more likely the problem, not you. The average highschool student of today has equal anxiety to average insane asylum patients of the 50's.

Last edited: