• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Diclazepam Withdrawal Advice?

waffle-head

Bluelighter
Hi, I've been taking 3mg diclaz daily for 18 months. It' been an absolute god send, reducing my anxiety and allowing me to live normally, but the time has come to give up due to tolerance. I don't want to increase from 3mg daily.

I'm now down to 0.75mg per day, suffering from the shakes, headache, bad tummy and insomnia.

Does anyone have any advice on what i could take short term to reduce the negative withdrawal effects?
Cheers.

Theoretically, weed could help a bit. SMALL amounts of alcohol might ease the symptoms a little. But I'm hesitant to wholeheartedly endorse that method.

Your on about the equivalent of 7.5mg of Valium a day, you really could just hop off at this point maybe taper to .5mg.

Phenibut helps but also has withdrawal symptoms of its own but nowhere even close to that of benzos

How long have you been on the .75 mg dosage? A slow taper is ideal. Gabapentin and clonidine are very useful to mitigate your withdrawals while tapering. It may take some time before you can sleep normally again.

Only a couple of weeks. I've run out now so it's into the final furlong. I suspect the worst is yet to come :)

Your on about the equivalent of 7.5mg of Valium a day, you really could just hop off at this point maybe taper to .5mg.

Phenibut helps but also has withdrawal symptoms of its own but nowhere even close to that of benzos

Every source I've read says 3mg is on par with 30-46mg Valium. I'd definitely taper givin it's hellishly long half life. When I withdrew from 5-20mg a day I tapered with phenobarbital but got very spinny. Like disorientation/vertigo not dizziness. I really used clonazepam starting from 20mg and hopped off at 4mg with minor withdraw.

That being said, today I use green kratom 4gx4 a week, phenibut 2gx2 a week and gabaoentin 300mgx4 a day.

Kava kava I would look into. Best of luck to you

Thank you. Phenibut is working a treat. But I can only take 1g once a week. I take it on a Friday, just to give me a short break from the withdrawal. It's become quite difficult, these past couple of weeks. I'm pretty certain I've withdrawn too quickly. The symptoms have been pretty horrid, and I know exactly what you mean about the disorientation and dizziness.

Now, my body and mind have taken quite a beating and I'm considering ordering some more diclaz blotter and only taking it when I feel the symptoms returning.

Do you think this is a good idea? :)

How long have you been off? If you only used them for a few weeks, I'd sit it out. It won't last that long, but if you go back and end up using benzos for a longer period of time, the withdrawal could last up to six months.

Update: I felt I'd withdrawn too quickly, so I've purchased some 1.5mg, which I'm taking only when needed. It's half the daily dose I used to take. It's solved my rebound anxiety, and now I'm going to manage its use more effectively :)

Ideally, you're going to want to use drugs that operate upon different systems in the body than Benzodiazepines. This will allow you to mitigate some of the more painful aspects of your withdrawal syndrome without prolonging it in the process. T. Calderone's suggestion of Clonidine (Catapres) and/or Gabapentin (Neurontin) is pretty much my first-line recommendation. Do you have access to a prescriber/connect for these things?

In general, Cannabis can be really contraindicated when dealing with sedative/hypnotic withdrawal (Alcohol, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines etc.). I can say from personal experience that the anxiogenic properties of Cannabis can be greatly intensified when going through a withdrawal of this kind. Also contraindicated, I would say, are sedating antihistamines. They can intensify the Restless Legs/Akathisia that are a kind of hallmark of the withdrawal. If you choose to try it out, I would recommend starting with a single dosage unit of a given antihistamine.