• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Diazepam duration and effect

You're a smart man. Valium was my DOC for a while.
On the rare occasions I'll do a benzo now for sleep now, I much prefer Xanax for less hangover.
Benzos are one of my DOCs, too. Was prescribed and took street xanax for years. I have always been a very anxious person so they have a narcotic like appeal to me.

One of the things that I find surprising about benzos is how differently some effect me. I actually dislike valium relative to other benzos.

Some benzos like diazepam, diclazepam, and etizolam give me some strange paradoxical side effects like mania, restlessness, and anhedonia. I really don't know why.

It's a bit strange because I will also feel relaxed at the same time, but feel uncomfortable. I usually feel a strong compulsion to clean my house or organize something, or else I feel very depressed and restless if I don't. Quite odd, since I tolerate most others well, alprazolam being my absolute favorite.

I'd still take diazepam over nothing, and has helped me through alcohol withdrawal a few times, I just don't like it much in comparison to others.

Last edited:
Benzos are one of my DOCs, too. Was prescribed and took street xanax for years. I have always been a very anxious person so they have a narcotic like appeal to me.

One of the things that I find surprising about benzos is how differently some effect me. I actually dislike valium relative to other benzos.

Some benzos like diazepam, diclazepam, and etizolam give me some strange paradoxical side effects like mania, restlessness, and anhedonia. I really don't know why.

It's a bit strange because I will also feel relaxed at the same time, but feel uncomfortable. I usually feel a strong compulsion to clean my house or organize something, or else I feel very depressed and restless if I don't. Quite odd, since I tolerate most others well, alprazolam being my absolute favorite.

I'd still take diazepam over nothing, and has helped me through alcohol withdrawal a few times, I just don't like it much in comparison to others.
You have way more of a selection than I ever had. When I did benzos quite a bit, all I could get was Valium. I liked Barbituates quite a bit, but couldn't get them as regularly as Valium. Quaaludes were too expensive for what you got since they were short lasting.
Kids act like it was the golden age of drugs, but a selection of benzos like that would have been nice too.

Hello bluelighters ,

I have a question about diazepam (valium) . Why is that diazepam has a long half life but a short duration of action (4hours) compared to alprazolam 7 hours (for me at least) ?. People always say diazepam is long acting benzo but at the same time it has a short duration of action ?
So i was also wondering if klonopin had a long duration of action and a long half life?

And what do most people prefer recreational wise ? I have experience with alprazolam and diazepam but weirdly i find diazepam to feel much more mellow then alpra which makes me kinda feel dead inside from above 1mg range .
But Xanax is preferred by most as the n1 benzo if i look on reddit or something . I am curious what people think here ?

Greetings ,
Clonazepam is King for me. I've tried several other benzos but nothing like clonaz. 2nd place valium, 3rd xanax

Have you ever done Valium for extended periods?

Mostly was taking 15-17.5, sometimes 20mg. My doctor cold turkeyed me last July which was a risky move but it'd only been 6 months and I gradually went from 5, 7.5, 10mg until I hit 15mg eventually so I didn't seem to have any withdrawal. Once my tinnitus came back significantly worse and I was hospitalized briefly for suicidal behavior and then my doctor put me back on it. I don't know if I'll come off it any time soon because my tinnitus keeps getting worse, especially after trying acupuncture. Been 5 weeks since my last one (had 1 a week for 3 weeks) and my ears are still absolutely wrecked.

I don't know what this guy did but it ruined my life, I can't even go out of town anymore because on the way back, my ears always spike extremely bad. Can't lie down after work if I'm tired or my ears will get extremely bad. I've used niacin recently which was very successful at first but suddenly it doesn't work. I believe it's tolerance but people tell me you can't have a tolerance to a vitamin. Ever since I took an extra gram of it after coming back from out of town a week ago it suddenly stopped working until I upped it to 2.5g but that didn't last, and yesterday I had to try 3g which worked but not as well as 1g was working 2 weeks ago. I asked about tolerance on reddit and nobody thinks it's possible, but if you can gain tolerance to the flush why wouldn't you be able to gain tolerance to it alleviating something? I probably have to stop taking it for a few days or something.

Either way I have an MRI coming up Friday which could possibly find out why my tinnitus is so bad or why I still get headaches a lot. I see a chiropractor tomorrow as well just in case it could be related to my back or neck, I can't see why else lying down would make it worse. My spikes used to go down after lying down but ever since the acupuncture, they don't. My stomach also got really fucked up from the acupunctures, I've had regular stomachaches ever since. All I know is, if the MRI doesn't find anything I'm scared of what I'll do... I also see a hematologist in a few weeks because I have mild anemia and some low red/white blood cell count.

It's possible this is related to my tinnitus but who knows. Niacin increases bloodflow so if my bloodflow to the ears is poor it could explain it, my eardrums literally don't move after all. Something is causing this tinnitus regardless and I don't know who is going to figure it out. One strange thing is that if I'm squatting down and I get up fast, it temporarily goes away while I feel light headed, which I do a lot now after going years without feeling that after getting up fast. Back when that'd happen more often, I'd GET tinnitus while lightheaded, whereas now it goes away for 10-15 seconds.

So yeah things aren't looking too good in my life right now. I would come off the Valium in the snap of a finger if someone found a way to cure my tinnitus. I had faith in the acupunctures because I read of success stories on the tinnitustalk forum but all it did was make mine way worse and give me hyperacusis as well. So any kind of noise, even talking will cause my right ear to begin ringing. Knocking on wood or something too. I didn't have hyperacusis before the acupunctures, so this guy really fucked up something... My stomach was also perfectly fine all year until them too. He did put needles in my lower belly for the first 2 but I didn't have him do that for the 3rd, yet my stomach was even more fucked up.

He said it's to get "phlegm out of your stomach since that could be contributing to your tinnitus" which is just some outrageously weird theory. Wanted me to then try like 10 different herbs made into a tea but I've read about some of them causing people to go braindead, my mother personally treated patients when she was a nurse who'd been given herbs by acupuncturists and 2 of them died. Even if it's not common, I don't know if I want to try the herbs. for all I know it could also make the tinnitus worse.
I am sorry your going thrue tinnitus . I have a very lite form of it as well but luckely its neglegable .
I hope something will come out of the mri , stay strong man !

You have way more of a selection than I ever had. When I did benzos quite a bit, all I could get was Valium. I liked Barbituates quite a bit, but couldn't get them as regularly as Valium. Quaaludes were too expensive for what you got since they were short lasting.
Kids act like it was the golden age of drugs, but a selection of benzos like that would have been nice too.
I am curious what is the effect of a "qualude" like ? I have seen wolf of Wall Street , is it comparable to something like ghb/phenibut/lyrica or nothing at all like that ?

I am curious what is the effect of a "qualude" like ? I have seen wolf of Wall Street , is it comparable to something like ghb/phenibut/lyrica or nothing at all like that ?
It's a standard downer high, by which I mean like a barb or a Doriden, not a benzo. However, it's kind of "Numb-y" in that your extremities tingle just a little and you feel kind of woozy. Kind of like alcohol without the icky feeling.
There's just a hint of that or some of that, though. Mostly, it's just a downer high. It does seem to make your hornier because of the aformentioned.
It also only lasts a few hours as to short term effects, so someone having a gorilla bisquit at the disco would find it easier to manage and having less of a hangover whereas a downer head would find that frustrating.
They're nice and all, but they're not the holy grail.
Now, Nembutal...

It's a standard downer high, by which I mean like a barb or a Doriden, not a benzo. However, it's kind of "Numb-y" in that your extremities tingle just a little and you feel kind of woozy. Kind of like alcohol without the icky feeling.
There's just a hint of that or some of that, though. Mostly, it's just a downer high. It does seem to make your hornier because of the aformentioned.
It also only lasts a few hours as to short term effects, so someone having a gorilla bisquit at the disco would find it easier to manage and having less of a hangover whereas a downer head would find that frustrating.
Now, Nembutal...
So a barbiturate like nembutal is better then a qualude ? Are barbiturates much better then regulair benzo's ? They still hit the same gaba a receptors not ?

Now, Nembutal...
I think ghb is way superior in making you horny probally compared to a qualude . Also it seemed to be woman that get horny from them .

I think ghb is way superior in making you horny probally compared to a qualude . Also it seemed to be woman that get horny from them .
GHB is indeed superior for that. It does feel like alcohol without the negative effects. My lady calls it "horny juice".

As a downer freak, I did like barbs more than Quaaludes. Stronger, longer lasting, interacted strongly with alcohol to where you had to be careful (at first :cool:), got you all kinds of fucked up.

All the old classic downers like barbs, Quaaludes, Doriden, etc., definitely felt different than benzos. There are similarities, but benzos are more relaxing. A lot of people that liked Quaaludes (etc.) said they would just fall asleep on a Valium, one of them.

It's hard to describe the differences, as it usually is, but they called benzos minor "tranquilizers" and that kind of says it.

I agree, brokedown. The term downer was different when I was younger. Everything is benzos these days. I remember talking about Quaaludes and people asking me where they really that short acting? Because I compared a Quaalude with a six pack of beer. They seemed to be similar timing. But yeah, Quaaludes were short. Not sure I ever had nembutal, but had seconal and amobarbital. I’ve had tuinals.

I am sort of glad that barbiturates are no longer being prescribed. The way people slam drugs these days too many people would’ve died. (I get the irony with synthetic opioids) I mean I was always careful with the reds. But there’s no need for those to be freely prescribed anymore I mean, I wish they were, but to protect society I’m sort of glad :)

I do remember waiting on my neighbor to come out with some of his grandfathers reds in 1981 but he comes out with these Roche Valiums blues. We were like what the fuck is that? You need 10 of them? I’m not sure I’m feeling much. Maybe you should have some shots of whiskey with it… and that’s what we have today with people looking to get the same high off of benzos.

I agree, brokedown. The term downer was different when I was younger. Everything is benzos these days. I remember talking about Quaaludes and people asking me where they really that short acting? Because I compared a Quaalude with a six pack of beer. They seemed to be similar timing. But yeah, Quaaludes were short. Not sure I ever had nembutal, but had seconal and amobarbital. I’ve had tuinals.

I am sort of glad that barbiturates are no longer being prescribed. The way people slam drugs these days too many people would’ve died. (I get the irony with synthetic opioids) I mean I was always careful with the reds. But there’s no need for those to be freely prescribed anymore I mean, I wish they were, but to protect society I’m sort of glad :)

I do remember waiting on my neighbor to come out with some of his grandfathers reds in 1981 but he comes out with these Roche Valiums blues. We were like what the fuck is that? You need 10 of them? I’m not sure I’m feeling much. Maybe you should have some shots of whiskey with it… and that’s what we have today with people looking to get the same high off of benzos.
Nembutals were the yellows. They seemed to be around the most. I've also had the...
Seconal - reds
Amytal - blues
Tuinal - two tone blues(?)

Don't know that I could tell them apart by effect.

A friends mom had a Doriden script and I liked them. Done quite a few. However, I did not know about the codeine potentiation back then, darn the luck.
Interestingly enough though, she said that she found that a Darvon with one helped a lot. she sold one Doriden and one Darvon for one dollar.

Darvon lol. Darvocet. They did work though when nothing else was around. Never had a doriden. But William S Burroughs said in Junkie that doriden and codeine got them through the lack of heroin when they were traveling and knew a pharmacist that would hook them up. So it sounds good.

I remember quaaludes in high school. Would take one before homeroom and by lunch would be almost sober again. But that worked for a kid that took the school bus home at 3:00PM and went home to mommie and daddies house. lol I did enough stuff I would be scrutinized. So quaaludes were doable during a school day. I took 2 once and could not walk down a hall for an hour or so.

Last edited: