• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Diazepam duration and effect

Kizaru

Bluelighter
Hello bluelighters ,

I have a question about diazepam (valium) . Why is that diazepam has a long half life but a short duration of action (4hours) compared to alprazolam 7 hours (for me at least) ?. People always say diazepam is long acting benzo but at the same time it has a short duration of action ?
So i was also wondering if klonopin had a long duration of action and a long half life?

And what do most people prefer recreational wise ? I have experience with alprazolam and diazepam but weirdly i find diazepam to feel much more mellow then alpra which makes me kinda feel dead inside from above 1mg range .
But Xanax is preferred by most as the n1 benzo if i look on reddit or something . I am curious what people think here ?

Greetings ,

Because diazepam Is too easily sucked by your lipid and muscles so after 4 hours u feel ONLY metabolites which Are very subtle. Alprazolam Is in fact longer acting and MUCH stronger.
^^^^^^^^^^
Valium's metabolites have metabolites. Nordiazapam has a half life of 100 hours.
If you've been doing Valium regularly, you're basically always feeling it a little.

Because diazepam Is too easily sucked by your lipid and muscles so after 4 hours u feel ONLY metabolites which Are very subtle. Alprazolam Is in fact longer acting and MUCH stronger.
Ah i see thanks for the information 👍👊

Because it builds up in the system ?
Valium has psychoactive metabolites which themselves have psychoactive metabolites. Yes, all the metabolites stay in your system for a while and can build up with repeated use.

Guess that explains why Valium affects me for two days. I imagine people with tolerance are the ones that only feel it for a few hours.

Guess that explains why Valium affects me for two days. I imagine people with tolerance are the ones that only feel it for a few hours.
I don't think it has to do with tolerance , cause i always feel it for 4 hours without rlly any tolerance and diazepam has always been that way .

I don't think it has to do with tolerance , cause i always feel it for 4 hours without rlly any tolerance and diazepam has always been that way .
Valium always makes me groggy the next day. Zanax is much better, the cobwebs go away in an hour or two the next morning.

Valium always makes me groggy the next day. Zanax is much better, the cobwebs go away in an hour or two the next morning.
Interesting , i don't feel rlly groggy with 15 mg dose or anything . But probally with higher doses i will but i don't mind having some anti anxiety effect the next morning .

Valium has psychoactive metabolites which themselves have psychoactive metabolites. Yes, all the metabolites stay in your system for a while and can build up with repeated use.
This is from drugs.com . Benzodiazepine equivalency tables state that 0.5mg of alprazolam (Xanax) is approximately equivalent to 5mg diazepam (Valium). No way this is right? 0.5 mg alprazolam equals 10mg diazepam in my experience but now i am confused ?

But much stronger ? Alpra is not that much stronger . Its not like 1mg of alpra ko's me compared to 20mg diazepam . Diazepam does have a nicer body mellow thats why i like it more.
Alprazolam is also good though no doubt !

I think people expect too much certainty from half life and metabolites.

Diazepam has always given me a similar acute duration as alprazolam. The after effects are usually almost imperceptible, unless I was in alcohol withdrawal or took a very large diazepam dose.

Alprazolam is indeed much much more potent, but when you take large doses of either, or any benzo for that matter, it doesn't really matter anymore, like comparing 6 shots of liqour to 8 beers... you probably can't describe much difference.

Last edited:
But much stronger ? Alpra is not that much stronger . Its not like 1mg of alpra ko's me compared to 20mg diazepam . Diazepam does have a nicer body mellow thats why i like it more.
Alprazolam is also good though no doubt

Diazepam has always given me a similar acute duration as alprazolam. The after effects are usually almost imperceptible, unless I was in alcohol withdrawal or took a very large diazepam dose.

Alprazolam is indeed much much more potent, but when you take large doses of either, or any benzo for that matter, it doesn't really matter anymore.

Like comparing 4 shots of liqour to 6 beers.
Yeah i was heavily addicted to ghb (which has same kind of wd) and diazepam is always preferred as treatment . Never a short half life benzo . But its always diazepam and librium . Don't see klonopin being used though .

Alprazolam is indeed much much more potent, but when you take large doses of either, or any benzo for that matter, it doesn't really matter anymore, like comparing 6 shots of liqour to 8 beers... you probably can't describe much difference.
Have you ever done Valium for extended periods?

^^^^^^^^^^
Valium's metabolites have metabolites. Nordiazapam has a half life of 100 hours.
If you've been doing Valium regularly, you're basically always feeling it a little.
This probably explains why last summer at the beach after hitting the shit out of some dab pens I literally blacked out, like I have some vague memories after I got baked of going to a restaurant but otherwise my friends told me I was so high it was like impossible to reach me and they didn't even know how I was walking. This is the only time something like that's ever happened though and I was getting stupid high all the time last summer. I guess ordinarily I don't get baked in the afternoon which could be why that happened.

Having withdrawals rn though because my damn doctor didn't re-fill it Thursday like he should've... this is rough. My whole body feels restless and my anxiety is through the roof.

Having withdrawals rn though because my damn doctor didn't re-fill it Thursday like he should've... this is rough. My whole body feels restless and my anxiety is through the roof.
Hey Mac is this from the 10 mg of diazepam that you were taking at night? I know last year you were going to go either on or off. You may have mentioned it, but this is a big forum. Anyway, hope you’re feeling better and always glad to see you. Keep us posted.

Mostly was taking 15-17.5, sometimes 20mg. My doctor cold turkeyed me last July which was a risky move but it'd only been 6 months and I gradually went from 5, 7.5, 10mg until I hit 15mg eventually so I didn't seem to have any withdrawal. Once my tinnitus came back significantly worse and I was hospitalized briefly for suicidal behavior and then my doctor put me back on it. I don't know if I'll come off it any time soon because my tinnitus keeps getting worse, especially after trying acupuncture. Been 5 weeks since my last one (had 1 a week for 3 weeks) and my ears are still absolutely wrecked.

I don't know what this guy did but it ruined my life, I can't even go out of town anymore because on the way back, my ears always spike extremely bad. Can't lie down after work if I'm tired or my ears will get extremely bad. I've used niacin recently which was very successful at first but suddenly it doesn't work. I believe it's tolerance but people tell me you can't have a tolerance to a vitamin. Ever since I took an extra gram of it after coming back from out of town a week ago it suddenly stopped working until I upped it to 2.5g but that didn't last, and yesterday I had to try 3g which worked but not as well as 1g was working 2 weeks ago. I asked about tolerance on reddit and nobody thinks it's possible, but if you can gain tolerance to the flush why wouldn't you be able to gain tolerance to it alleviating something? I probably have to stop taking it for a few days or something.

Either way I have an MRI coming up Friday which could possibly find out why my tinnitus is so bad or why I still get headaches a lot. I see a chiropractor tomorrow as well just in case it could be related to my back or neck, I can't see why else lying down would make it worse. My spikes used to go down after lying down but ever since the acupuncture, they don't. My stomach also got really fucked up from the acupunctures, I've had regular stomachaches ever since. All I know is, if the MRI doesn't find anything I'm scared of what I'll do... I also see a hematologist in a few weeks because I have mild anemia and some low red/white blood cell count.

It's possible this is related to my tinnitus but who knows. Niacin increases bloodflow so if my bloodflow to the ears is poor it could explain it, my eardrums literally don't move after all. Something is causing this tinnitus regardless and I don't know who is going to figure it out. One strange thing is that if I'm squatting down and I get up fast, it temporarily goes away while I feel light headed, which I do a lot now after going years without feeling that after getting up fast. Back when that'd happen more often, I'd GET tinnitus while lightheaded, whereas now it goes away for 10-15 seconds.

So yeah things aren't looking too good in my life right now. I would come off the Valium in the snap of a finger if someone found a way to cure my tinnitus. I had faith in the acupunctures because I read of success stories on the tinnitustalk forum but all it did was make mine way worse and give me hyperacusis as well. So any kind of noise, even talking will cause my right ear to begin ringing. Knocking on wood or something too. I didn't have hyperacusis before the acupunctures, so this guy really fucked up something... My stomach was also perfectly fine all year until them too. He did put needles in my lower belly for the first 2 but I didn't have him do that for the 3rd, yet my stomach was even more fucked up.

He said it's to get "phlegm out of your stomach since that could be contributing to your tinnitus" which is just some outrageously weird theory. Wanted me to then try like 10 different herbs made into a tea but I've read about some of them causing people to go braindead, my mother personally treated patients when she was a nurse who'd been given herbs by acupuncturists and 2 of them died. Even if it's not common, I don't know if I want to try the herbs. for all I know it could also make the tinnitus worse.