• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Diazepam and codeine ?

Inc3pti0n

Bluelighter
Okay I know grapefruit juice works to enhance my diazepam and codeine as I've been prescribed them so long I'm taking too many so need to know if mixing the 2 at same time will enhance the diazepam or is it just ordinary grapefruit juice ? And would grapefruit juice enhance the codeine ?

Thankyou on advance

Not medical advice obviously but grapefruit juice should reduce the effects of codeine by inhibiting the CYP2D6 enzyme that metabolises it into morphine.

On the other hand it should potentiate diazepam, and presumably increase it's duration, by also inhibiting it's metabolisis. Diazepam besides being active itself has active metabolites so it's possible in theory that it would also change the character of longer term effects somewhat although I'm guessing this would not really be noticeable since diazepam itself already has such a long half life that your enzymes would recover by the time the impact of it's active metabolites becomes relevant, and this is especially true if you're already taking diazepam daily.

Taking benzos and opiates together is always going to increase the risk of respiratory depression, although if you're already prescribed both of them - in this specific case the risk is probably minimal, and given that opiates carry the greater danger of respiratory depression I would not think this is especially dangerous. Again though... not medical advice! Probably drinking grapefruit juice with codeine specifically is just going to be a waste of codeine.