• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Diazepam and belsomra

Keets

Greenlighter
My doc gave me belsomra to help me stay asleep and asked him if it was ok to use while taking the diazepam and he said yes. I have never herd of the belsomra before so checked it out and have been reading bad things about sleep paralysis. I would assume that diazepam would make that worse? I have also read that it is bad to mix with benzos because they can have negative reactions together. If it is bad I don't know which one to choose over the other.
Thanks again for the responses

ps,if this is a double post sorry I didn't see my first one

There is some risk of respiratory depression so make sure you don't over do it on the benzos. But Belsomra is a great drug and has been helping me for quite a while now, you will have strange dreams and such for the first couple weeks but it gets better, personally my sleep paralysis improved after I got on it. After all sleep paralysis is because of excess wakefulness. So don't let that scare you away from trying it. It could be a life saver if you decide to taper off the benzos as well.

There is some risk of respiratory depression so make sure you don't over do it on the benzos. But Belsomra is a great drug and has been helping me for quite a while now, you will have strange dreams and such for the first couple weeks but it gets better, personally my sleep paralysis improved after I got on it. After all sleep paralysis is because of excess wakefulness. So don't let that scare you away from trying it. It could be a life saver if you decide to taper off the benzos as well.
Haha I already have very detailed strange dreams as it is. It just scared me to read about the sleep paralysis because I already get that when not even taking anything or drinking. Right now I am only taking 10 mg of diazepam at bedtime.

You should be fine; a pharmacist counseled me and told me not to combine ambien and belsomra but I've been doing it and I've been fine. I don't think there's risk of fatal respiratory depression but it could make sleep apnea worse so there is that.

Similar Occurances

Anyone else have any experience?

Yes, I experienced 2 episodes of sleep paralysis (never ever experienced previously or since) along with night terrors while taking 10mg. & once 20 mg. of Belsomra. I will add that I have also been on Clonazapam (currently @ 1 mg. up to 3x/day) for years by the same Pdoc that rx'ed me the Belsomra. I was using the Belsomra with success on as-needed basis for my long term sleep-onset insomnia d/x. No hungover feeling in the morning, no headache, etc... Thought it was great! I had been using it prn for several months before I ever felt the first episode of sleep paralysis start--it was very mild the first time, however, and I was somehow able sort of 'jolt' myself awake/out of it. That coupled with vivid nightmares/night terrors rattled me enough not to take the Belsomra again until a couple weeks later. When I did take it again, the 10 mg wasn't cutting it re: sleep onset, so I took another 5 mg & waited to no avail. I knew it was deemed 'safe' to take 20 mg. (I think Merck even makes a 20 mg. pill dosage), and I had tried this dosage previously a few different times that the 10-15 mg. failed to work for me with no issues. The 2nd time around. the episode of sleep paralysis was worse than the first time. Not terribly so, but still scary. The vivid night terrors were also worse. I experienced each episode after I had not taken Belsomra for over a week... After the 2nd episode, I called my Pdoc's office, Merck pharmaceuticals, and the FDA to report what had happened to me. I was told it can interact poorly with many CYP3A + or - drugs (inhibitors or the opposite, cannot recall exact term atm) and to stop taking it immediately (I definitely agreed with them on this point, haha!), etc... Have not taken any since.
Currently, I have Zolpidem 10 mg. tabs to take as needed; I had been rx'ed Ambien several times over the years and have being doing pretty well on it this time around (depending on the generic brand + other factors)!