View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dextromethorphan HBR solubility inquery

Working_Class

Bluelighter
I recently purchased 5 grams of Dextromethorphan Hbr and have been pondering the best way to go about getting it into my system. I've done a little bit of research, and from what I can gather just simply eating capsules of pure dextromethorphan hydrobromide doesn't really hit very well. Lots of stomach upset and quite a bit of talk of vomiting. Maybe not as readily absorbed in that form. And if the issue is a solubility issue, I was further thinking to try dissolving some into either Everclear, or PG. From my experiences with it etizolam, you can dissolve that particular compound in either propylene glycol or just straight up high-proof spirits. I would imagine that DXM wouldn't be much different in that regard, but this is what my inquiry is. If anybody knows for a fact, if one or the other is more suitable. I've actually never done the whole cough syrup chugging Adventure, so I'm not exactly sure what a ROBO trip is like, but I'm experienced with disassociatives, so I have an inkling and am pretty pumped to give it a whirl. Also I have read up on the dosages and it sounds like something like 100 to 150 mg would be a good starting goes after a small allergy test. And then from there forwards, trying larger doses such as 200 ish mg, then 300, or 350 or so, spread a few days apart. Also I've heard that breaking up larger doses into two smaller doses is typically easier to stomach.

So I was just like some verification it from anybody who might have any experience with this, otherwise I will be the one who finds it out and, solves the mystery for everyone else. One of the things I was a little bit curious of, is the container seems to be sealed with an inert gas, being Argon, filling the void space around the powder. I'm concerned that after I open it, I basically have to do whatever I'm going to do with all of it, all at once otherwise it may react with the atmosphere. So, I think for science I should just prepare half and save half in the jar and see what happens. Or leave some amount unadulterated to see what happens. If anyone has any information, feel free to chime in, otherwise this experiment will be going to occur over the course of the next couple weeks. I'll report back when I have some time.

Last edited:
I've always just ingested the powder. I'm sure aiding absorption helps, but it's not of crucial importance. At the start of an DXM adventure the nausea isn't of much concern anyway, it will become a hurdle once you're physically conditioned to expect it. After which you'll want methods to directly combat it.

DXM isn't a novel chemical, so an allergy test isn't as necessary. We know metabolism variations can, say, triple the intensity, so that's why you want to start with a dose around 100mg, to make sure that won't make you feel drunk, i.e. give you no second plateau effects. 100mg normally shouldn't do anything, beyond suppressing your cough.

I'm not sure air contact is of much concern either. If it worries you, argon sprays are sold commercially on the wine market. Or put it in caps. Or yes, put it in solution (keep the alcohol low, as a combo it's perilous).

I personally advise against redosing. I suspect it only helps against nausea if you're used to it. The highest peaks are reached by dosing everything at once. I also recommend spacing trips a week apart once you're doing psychoactive doses, and increasing spacing as the effects qualitatively change. A week per plateau is erring on the safe side and there's some leeway to accommodate the adventurous spirit of the experienced dissociator. But it's handy to keep in mind where the magic gets reportedly preserved.

Good thread, ive had similar issues with gelcaps taking 3hours to hit etc.
I found the best way is to combine a few gelcaps with some powder mixed in juice.

I recently purchased 5 grams of Dextromethorphan Hbr and have been pondering the best way to go about getting it into my system. I've done a little bit of research, and from what I can gather just simply eating capsules of pure dextromethorphan hydrobromide doesn't really hit very well. Lots of stomach upset and quite a bit of talk of vomiting. Maybe not as readily absorbed in that form. And if the issue is a solubility issue, I was further thinking to try dissolving some into either Everclear, or PG. From my experiences with it etizolam, you can dissolve that particular compound in either propylene glycol or just straight up high-proof spirits. I would imagine that DXM wouldn't be much different in that regard, but this is what my inquiry is. If anybody knows for a fact, if one or the other is more suitable. I've actually never done the whole cough syrup chugging Adventure, so I'm not exactly sure what a ROBO trip is like, but I'm experienced disassociatives, so I have an inkling and am pretty pumped to give it a whirl. Also I have read up on the dosages and it sounds like something like 100 to 150 mg would be a good starting goes after a small allergy test. And then from there forwards, trying larger doses such as 200 ish mg, then 300, or 350 or so, spread a few days apart. Also I've heard that breaking up larger doses into two smaller doses is typically easier to stomach.

So I was just like some verification it from anybody who might have any experience with this, otherwise I will be the one who finds it out and, solves the mystery for everyone else. One of the things I was a little bit curious of, is the container seems to be sealed with an inert gas, being Argon, filling the void space around the powder. I'm concerned that after I open it, I basically have to do whatever I'm going to do with all of it, all at once otherwise it may react with the atmosphere. So, I think for science I should just prepare half and save half in the jar and see what happens. Or leave some amount unadulterated to see what happens. If anyone has any information, feel free to chime in, otherwise this experiment will be going to occur over the course of the next couple weeks. I'll report back when I have some time.
Damn I didn't know you could still get pure dxm.DXM is a very strange trip you might enjoy you might now.Its not near as fun as ketamine to me anyhow

It is true that pure dextromethorphan hydrobromide doesn’t absorb well when ingested plain;

while I don’t have any *personal* experience, I’ve read that there are two good options: mix it into a couple shots of liquor (or just drink some liquor after taking the capsule or whatever full of dxm)

OR

Buy a dxm-only dough syrup, measure out a couple of doses, and mix it into the syrup. That way you won’t be chugging an entire bottle, but the syrup will still be able to help the dxm get into your system.

Oh and it‘ll be fine exposed to air. Just keep it in an airtight container (jar or something) in the freezer.

Thanks for the answers everybody! I've just been so busy working this construction job that starts at 7:30 a.m. downtown. It's such an awkward time to start. Your whole day is over by the time you get home, and you have to get there an hour to an hour and a half early if you want to get a good parking spot. And I have too many tools to be running around downtown in a tizzy. This was for sure more of a weekend thing anyway.

I was really thinking about giving it a try this evening at 1.87 mg / kg (96.36 kg this AM) for a total dose of 180 mg. I've heard first time, keep it moderate just in case I have a bad time. Also have heard of histamine response which I'm used to mitigating, I have all kinds of antihistamines because my GF's parents have cats and I'm super allergic. Non drowsy (Cetirizine HCL 10 mg) or Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL 25 mg)

Today is my first day off in a little while and I was super just toying with the idea of taking 1800 mg of Kratom leaf, but I checked my email and saw some of the responses and, if anything I think I'm just going to grab myself a coffee and get down to the testing of this hypothesis, minus the kratom. Starting with that starting dose dissolved in Everclear. I'll see what the minimum amount of Everclear is going to be, and I'll try and record everything as carefully as possible. Got to earn it first though, I still need to go to the gym and get groceries and then I can sit here and just do whatever guilt free. Knowing I've produced for the day.

Alright so I have some particulars as of this trip that I've been recording. I'll start just with my physical state before ingestion. I've been taking my blood pressure all day and it is been hovering around 130 over 70 which is quite normal for me. Resting heart rate of about 60 to 55 beats per minute.

I ate a good breakfast, I've gone to the gym, I take care of my chores today, I've been kind of preparing for this all day. Checking my blood pressure one more time just before mixing up the solution, it was slightly elevated above normal values at about 136 / 75 with a resting heart rate of about 66 or 70 beats per minute. I am anxious as this is another novel first for me, and as we all know even slight anxiety can elevate resting heart rate and blood pressure. I will be monitoring my blood pressure and resting heart rate throughout this experience. (I need to get some sleep by about 1:30 AM. GF has a thing to go to in Whistler and I gotta be at her place by 10:30 - 11:00 AM)

The solubility test was an interesting experiment, I have dissolved etizolam in the same solvent, being Everclear 75.5% or 151 proof grain alcohol. It seems as if the etizolam has a maximum solubility in this particular solvent of about 10 mg / 3 ml with gentle Heating and a little bit of persuasive crushing / mixing in a shot glass. The dextromethorphan hydrobromide that I purchased came with an MSDS and it says on the MSDS that it is 100% pure. I'm not too sure how much I believe in that, but let it otherwise be known that it is exceptional in purity. According to the MSDS anyways. So the first test was done using the following equipment

- Diabetic syringe for accurate volume measurements

- 151 proof grain alcohol (75.5%)

- Glass shot glass

- Gemini Mg jewelry scale

Some things to note, I was extremely surprised at the solubility of the dextromethorphan hydrobromide in grain alcohol. 181 mg nearly entirely dissolve in 1ml of the solvent. This is extremely significant because it means that the ease of use for mixing and dosing out of a vial with a dropper would be very easy to do and very practical. Knowing that concentration and volume ratio, and labelling it on the bottle would make it very convenient and safe for dosing into whatever favorable drink you may want to put it in. I put 181 mg in some orange juice with ice. I drank about half of it so I'm waiting about 60 minutes until I drink the other half "just in case", you know. Just to be safe, and I cross-referenced the amount of dextromethorphan hydrobromide that is contained in neocitran nighttime cough relief, in the amount in those packets is 20mg. So the most of this particular substance I have ever ingested was about 40 mg unbeknownst to me until now.

Additional notes, I decided to just add another 80 units or 0.8 mL of solvent just for ease of measurement, totaling 181 mg DXM in 1.8 ml of solvent, because I had planned on just dosing it in a manner similar to eitz, I usually throw the eitz under the tongue, but I thought against it in this case. Solvents typically burns the sensitive skin under the tongue and is generally unpleasant, I think it was a smart choice to go with mixing it into something a little bit more palatable like orange juice and ice. I injested roughly half the compound (90 ish mg) about 10 minutes ago, so I have 50 minutes until I ingest the other 90 mg or so. This is kind of a rough estimate at this point since I am just drinking it out of a whiskey glass. But I don't see any danger here. This should be pretty benign, and I shouldn't expect anything to adverse even with the full dose that I plan on taking.

Which is, to be exactly precise, 1.87 mg per kilogram of body weight, I weighed 96.36 kg as of this morning, total dosage being 180 mg (+ or - 2 mg).

Seeing as this individual experiment has already answered a lot of my questions as to the solubility of this compound, I don't really see the necessity of acquiring propylene glycol to attempt dissolving it into that Medium. The solvent I have on hand works just fine, and I'm not even sure I will be giving it another whirl just as powder on its own. It sounds troublesome, however for science, I may repeat this exact dose with capsulated powder, just to see what the difference is in subjective come up time and effects.

That is nearly all I have to report as of now, I feel like it's been almost 20 minutes since ingestion at this point in time, and I do start to feel that itch coming up, and I feel a little bit of a light, Spacey headspace. Nothing much really, which is okay. Always start on the lower end. People have taken 4 ho mipt and had complete fucking conniptions on 20mg while all their friends are doing just fine. So, knowing that things like that are possible, always always err on the side of caution. Im aware that this isn't a "new" RC or anything but always play safe. I'll finish up with a little bit of a follow-up post after this one, and I will think about my next experiment that I'd like to share with the world. Cheers everyone, play safe now.

Last edited:
The time is now 12:47, I took my blood pressure in my left arm a number of times. I'm about to head to bed so I thought I'd wrap this part up by posting the numbers and what I have thus far. Also note that I took one Benadryl with my 2nd 90 mg dose to mitigate the onset of "robo itch". Worked just dandy.

180 milligrams is active, it does take around 60 Minutes to fully take effect. I took my blood pressure in my left arm just before the experiment, and it was a little bit elevated. The anxiety was there.

11:23 L arm 131 / 72, RHr 62 bpm

11: 43 smoke one joint cannabis

11:53 L arm 128 / 75, RHr 77 bpm

12:29 L arm 130 / 66, RHr 69 bpm

Original 90 mg dose @ 10:15

-Didn't produce much aside from some strange stomach sensations. Some form of alerts but nothing happening yet

Second dose 90 mg @ 11:10 ish

- by 12:00 I'm starting to see the novelty behind this particular substance. 1:00 am ready for bed

I started this experiment way too late in the day, but luckily it isn't as stimulating as it is sedating, so sleep should come easily.

I would like to repeat this in a different setting with a similar dose, and see if it can be a novel replacement for alcohol. As I experiment more and more, the less and less attractive alcohol becomes.

Also, I would like to repeat this in a similar setting, with a higher dose, and see just how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Perhaps I'll put some experiences on my "to do" list for the near ish future. For now, this has been satisfying.

So again I checked my blood pressure in my left arm in bed just before I got up

8:00 AM - 119 / 66 RHr 48 bpm

Right arm on the couch
132 / 71 RHr 59 bpm

Left arm same spot
128 / 69 RHr 57 bpm

I feel a little bit groggy but generally back down to Baseline. no residual weirdness.

Happy to hear you found something of interest there.

It indeed has the power to make you reevaluate alcohol. Somehow it makes little sense to drink right after the experience, and during the afterglow, which becomes much more pronounced with higher doses. It's not much of a rabbit hole in that sense. If treated with respect, it can be pretty damn therapeutic!

(Not much of a rabbit hole.. almost making it sound as if there aren't aliens at upper third plateau.. =D )

Last edited:
Check the dxm threads... I made a recent post on this and ways to aid absorption.

I just shallowed the powder... in fact still do as I never got hpbcd to complex it or pg/peg (this should be easier tho) and I have no desire to mix with high proof ethanol as Im trying to quit drinking. Def seems like it absorbs less than syrups/gels but who tf wants to do that anymore. Im not 16 anymore lol.. Read loads of "take it with a spot of syrup" but I never bothered either.

I do take a bit more powder and I do split the dose, usually in 2 by about a few hours. Others say 30 minutes. Id wager the experience would differ with the dxo/dxm ratio changing due to metabolism and what not.

Also I used dissos and psyches, specifically dxm to quit alcohol. 8 months now actually.
It was about the only disso/pysche Icould handle for a while, until my mind set got clearer. And I found it produced the longest lasting antidepressant effects of all psyches I had available at the time (mushrooms/4 sub trypts/ various 2c(x)x)...

Dxm is hit or miss and some ppl dont metabolize it proper and get heightened effects so start low and go slow. Might be worth a reagent test too
Otherwise enjoy and report back.

Mixing with ethanol is extremely sparing in terms of the alcohol content. If one can nearly completely dissolve 180 mg dextromethorphan hydrobromide in a mere 1 ml of ethanol, it is unlikely that the alcohol will have a large impact on the taste or effect of whatever kind of concoction you decide to add it to you whether it be Coca-Cola dr. Pepper, orange juice or whatever. But I do understand, if you quit drinking you do you want to avoid ethanol at all costs. My mom had quit drinking for 7 years and she couldn't even take herbal tincture.

Anyways, at some point I will try it again with just the pure powder in capsule form, just to kind of compare notes. But I'm going to try it again at 250 mg dissolve in ethanol at once again, probably in the same whiskey glass full of orange juice just for consistency sake. And then I'll try popping about 180 or 250 mg of the powder on a completely separate occasion. Just to see what the difference is for me personally.

It'll be a little while before I do this experiment, however because my next experiment is with a higher dose of 4 HO DPT. My last experiments with that compound was starting at 20 mg, I titrated up 40 mg for a total of about 60 mg plus or minus a milligram or two.

I have two more tests for that compound, one of them being a straight-up 70 mg all at once, and the very last one being the rest of my batch, 100 mg all at once. Experiences probably spread about at least a week or two apart, so that I can get a little bit more clearly defined subjective effects, without having the tolerance build up be a big issue.

If there was one thing I could note about this one (4 HO DPT) over and above all the other 4 substituted tryptamines I very tried thus far, this one has a really intense stomach upset sensation, other than that, it just feels a little bit dirtier overall but, once it finally settles down it is quite a bit of fun.