• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Dextromethorphan, Bupropion, and a Very High Poor Metabolizer of CYP2D6

sillypillyoclock

Greenlighter
So I’m not exactly sure if this belongs here, but I’m not sure where else to put it. If I posted this in the wrong place, I apologize.
I got prescribed Auvelity, which is dextromethorphan HBr and bupropion HCl
extended release, 45mg/105mg. I’m just finishing up my 6th day on that. It’s actually working incredibly well for my depression, and today was one of the best days I’ve had in a very long while, mental health wise. I do have a couple questions, though.
Firstly, what would be the pharmacological reasoning behind this medicine getting me incredibly high? I haven’t come across anyone who seems to have gotten as absolutely blasted as I have. For the first couple days, I woke up high and was messed up all day. Not amazing, it was a bit overwhelming to be honest. Every dose after has been a bit less intense. However, the last 3 doses have felt somewhat similar to ketamine? I felt disassociated and euphoric for 3-5 hours, followed by tiredness. It was honestly a really, really nice high.
I should also mention, I’ve had genetic testing done, and I’m a poor metabolizer of CYP2D6. I also read over the pertinent sections of the massive Dextromethorphan FAQ on Erowid, and from what I understand, being a poor 2D6 metabolizer should make dxm less potent. Is there another component to this? I mean, I understand the bupropion prevents the dextromethorphan from metabolizing into dextrorphan too quickly via 2D6, and I don’t have 2D6. But it’s only 45mg, and it’s extended release.
Secondly, can this medicine ruin dxm or dissos as a whole for me? I suppose this is a bit more speculative, but, will taking this medicine as prescribed (once daily) be likely to cause me to build up a permanent tolerance to dxm (or dissociatives all together)? From what I’ve read from other people taking this med, some people have it stop working, unfortunately. One person described it as a “Flowers for Algernon” type situation. Is this due to that confusing dxm tolerance? Do we understand the mechanism behind that? Could this theoretically be prevented by spacing doses apart? For example, 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off type of thing? Of course, I would talk to my provider before changing anything about my medications.