• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

dextroamphetamine limit?

vlzinspace

Bluelighter
so i got dexies, not adderall with amphetamine. ive taken 35mg so far today from what i understand 45 is the limit per day right? since addy limit is allegedly 60mg per day, and 75% of that is dextro

ty for wisdom

Yes, basically. In contemporary practice, the prescribing limit is right around there. For instance, the upper limit for Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) is 70mg (which is also the largest size dosing unit). 70mg Lisdexamfetamine is equal to ~40mg Dextroamphetamine (not mixed salts, just Dex). This is specifically for the treatment of ADHD. Amphetamines are sometimes used for more exotic conditions like narcolepsy. so I'm sure there is some variation.

You did imply you wanted some wisdom, so I'll try my best to dig through my mostly stupid brain for some nuggets. You seem like you're trying to use these responsibly. If you're hoping to use Dextroamphetamine to treat your ADHD, be mindful of the dosage. Often, people don't need the maximum daily dosage. A lot of people will actually tell you that the maximum dosage doesn't actually improve their situation, it just changes their lack of productivity into a different form. This may be that you want to write a research paper, but you end up browsing Ebay for the perfect price on something useless for 8 hours only to find you've accomplished nothing.

If you're just trying to be safe, then great. Amphetamines have a pretty wide therapeutic index as hard drugs go. This does not mean in any way that it's a good idea to increase the dosage. I'm only saying it's not immediately dangerous to your health. The greater immediate danger to most people is the loss of sanity that often comes with high dose Amphetamine usage.

Last edited:
Yes, basically. In contemporary practice, the prescribing limit is right around there. For instance, the upper limit for Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) is 70mg (which is also the largest size dosing unit). 70mg Lisdexamfetamine is equal to ~40mg Dextroamphetamine (not mixed salts, just Dex). This is specifically for the treatment of ADHD. Amphetamines are sometimes used for more exotic conditions like narcolepsy. so I'm sure there is some variation.

You did imply you wanted some wisdom, so I'll try my best to dig through my mostly stupid brain for some nuggets. You seem like you're trying to use these responsibly. If you're hoping to use Dextroamphetamine to treat your ADHD, be mindful of the dosage. Often, people don't need the maximum daily dosage. A lot of people will actually tell you that the maximum dosage doesn't actually improve their situation, it just changes their lack of productivity into a different form. This may be that you want to write a research paper, but you end up browsing Ebay for the perfect price on something useless for 8 hours only to find you've accomplished nothing.

If you're just trying to be safe, then great. Amphetamines have a pretty wide therapeutic index as hard drugs go. This does not mean in any way that it's a good idea to increase the dosage. I'm only saying it's not immediately dangerous to your health. The greater immediate danger to most people is the loss of sanity that often comes with high dose Amphetamine usage.
ty very much. taking 45 yesterday was great euphoria but i felt it approaching redline. no amph tolerance. i think for practical recreational use eating 20mg and taking another 10 few hours later seems best. weird to me these are considered focus drugs when all i wanted to do was pace back and forth feeling good lol but i forced productivity.

I would concur with everything Keif says here - I've taken dexedrine for many years, at one point up to 40mg/day IR. I even started supplementing this dose with stuff like cyclazadone, ppap, and then even the designer amphetamines like 2-fma. I ***needed moaarrr stimulation*** and even though I would never have admitted it at the time, I was chasing. Some nights I would come home from work and just worry about my heart, have some drinks (or do some G) until I could pass out or take an ambien - rinse and repeat.

I eventually had a moment of clarity, I was very clearly abusing this stuff, not getting much benefit, and it was ruling my life in a way that I felt helpless around. I decided to just stop taking it, switched to a mixture of l-tyrosine, bupropion (welbutrin), and N-Acetyl-Cystine for about a week or so, to off-set the withdrawal syndrome (which was actually fairly effective). I then spent about 8 months off of it. I found after a while that something was lacking as I legitimately struggled to keep up with work demands and my mood was frequently low etc. I decided to revisit dexedrine but this time I decided that I wouldn't go above 20mg and I wouldn't use IR formulations.

I find XR to be much less prone to compulsivity, and I find that 10-20mg is honestly ideal for me. If I start taking higher doses than that, I tend to just get more edgy and have a harder time with task-switching. I also like to take lower doses on the weekends, vacation, holidays as it lets my mind 'downshift' for a time, and lets me build up a little cache of supply in the event I want to binge for a night or if pharmacy supplies are disrupted (which happens from time to time).

ty very much. taking 45 yesterday was great euphoria but i felt it approaching redline. no amph tolerance. i think for practical recreational use eating 20mg and taking another 10 few hours later seems best. weird to me these are considered focus drugs when all i wanted to do was pace back and forth feeling good lol but i forced productivity.

Yea I think this makes a lot more sense, especially considering you're going into this without tolerance. I'm not sure what you're social/professional situation looks like. I'm gonna take some pretty big leaps and assume you're employed, as you're relatively responsible in your approach to all of this. With that in mind, I would warn you about a phenomenon we've come to refer to as "Delusions of Sobriety". You can probably guess where I'm going. With pretty much every drug, it's pretty common for folks not to understand fully the presentation they are giving to others. Amphetamines can make you jumpy. They can also cause you to talk for inordinate periods of time without letting others into your conversation. Just be careful.

@tryptakid first, I love your avatar. Second, I have had similar experiences with Amphetamine. I definitely feel I'm a legitimate ADHD-sufferer. In my youth I would take huge doses of Amphetamine and they often did more harm than good. I have to say I have matured a little bit. Also, with my move toward a sober lifestyle, I started to give my actions a little more consideration than I did previously. Also, when I'm taking normal, prescribed doses of medication, I actually feel less compulsion to make bad choices like using drugs. My thoughts used to be a constant, swirling vortex of different thoughts. I could never reach out and grab these thoughts, hold onto them and think them through. I was very anxious just as a result of my thought process. When I take the medication normally, I find I'm able to grab onto a thought, figure it out, then move onto the next. It makes it difficult to rationalize drinking a pint of vodka in one gulp, for instance (I don't drink at all these days).

Anyway, we definitely have had similar experiences and I absolutely agree with the extended-release sentiment. You take the medicine once a day, every day and there is no guesswork involved. I take 50mg Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) if anyone is curious.

Another very interesting, if off-the-topic point I'd like to make: I'm pretty amazed by how many of us former addicts are able to use Amphetamine prescriptions normally. I have to admit, when I started this whole process of psychiatry, I went into it with good intentions, but I was pretty unsure how it would ultimately turn out. Now, after seeing how beneficial to my life the normal doses are, I would never sacrifice that benefit for a fling of getting super high. It really has turned a lot of my beliefs on their head.

@tryptakid first, I love your avatar.
Thank you! In my mind it's the benevolent alien essence of my mescalito-cacti.
Second, I have had similar experiences with Amphetamine. I definitely feel I'm a legitimate ADHD-sufferer. In my youth I would take huge doses of Amphetamine and they often did more harm than good. I have to say I have matured a little bit. Also, with my move toward a sober lifestyle, I started to give my actions a little more consideration than I did previously. Also, when I'm taking normal, prescribed doses of medication, I actually feel less compulsion to make bad choices like using drugs. My thoughts used to be a constant, swirling vortex of different thoughts. I could never reach out and grab these thoughts, hold onto them and think them through. I was very anxious just as a result of my thought process. When I take the medication normally, I find I'm able to grab onto a thought, figure it out, then move onto the next. It makes it difficult to rationalize drinking a pint of vodka in one gulp, for instance (I don't drink at all these days).
Aye - when I was taking super high doses, I legitimately felt like I had to drink or take downers on a consistent basis just to slow down.

I like the way you conceptualize the vortex of thoughts and can relate. You can tell that they're there, briefly even know what they are, and then you're on to the next. I'd also notice that I would start talking before I fully processed what to say and would frequently be trying to figure out how to say what I was thinking before I'd realized what I was thinking about. I'd constantly feel both compelled to speak and super anxious about speaking simultaneously. Not good.

Gratz on the abstinence from booze. I do drink but my wife and I will take months off at a time, and I've also gotten into more health-focused lifestyle over the past few years (riding my bike to work, getting involved in a social sports league etc.) and I've found just less of an interest in booze over time. I like making drink concoctions and have actually found that making cocktails or mocktails with kombucha allows me to play around with flavors without having to include as much booze or any booze at all. Sometimes I might make a drink that's less than a shot of tequila but 20oz of beverage (ginger ale/seltzer/kombucha - maybe some fruit in there as well) and just sip on that for a while. I've actually been finding that I like to have small amounts of sugar throughout the day - seems to help me stay in rhythm in a way.
Anyway, we definitely have had similar experiences and I absolutely agree with the extended-release sentiment. You take the medicine once a day, every day and there is no guesswork involved. I take 50mg Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) if anyone is curious.

Another very interesting, if off-the-topic point I'd like to make: I'm pretty amazed by how many of us former addicts are able to use Amphetamine prescriptions normally. I have to admit, when I started this whole process of psychiatry, I went into it with good intentions, but I was pretty unsure how it would ultimately turn out. Now, after seeing how beneficial to my life the normal doses are, I would never sacrifice that benefit for a fling of getting super high. It really has turned a lot of my beliefs on their head.
The world requires a lot of attention these days - thanks internet - and I do wonder if the feeling of being overwhelmed by modern demands is a contributor to why many of us turned to hard drugs, and also why we seem to benefit from the boost of amphetamine. I know that heroin was something I turned to in the 00s because I felt more and more lost and unsure as to where I was headed/how to get there. Ironically, it's what lead me to finding recovery/service work and eventually grad school so I could work with others who wanted help with substance use.

so i got dexies, not adderall with amphetamine. ive taken 35mg so far today from what i understand 45 is the limit per day right? since addy limit is allegedly 60mg per day, and 75% of that is dextro

ty for wisdom
Kid's only,med, don't ask why as there is no logical reason at your seventienth adhd vanishes. Solely by dex. As Methylphenidate, imo a hell of an med especially vor a 6 year old. Is prescribed for adult adhd. Which concludes it does excist.

Dosage. Well my 'off label' presricption for dex is 15-10-10 mg which is often to much, prescribed 3 times by 3 diff psych's Different moments in my life (not forging cripts just dr's stopping your script, (so you again you go to a prychiatrist).

For kids in NL. (6-17 years) is max 40 mg a day. Seems a bit much. But at least on it you can and be yourself and prestate at school on it hopefully. Something Methylphenidate (MPH) fail's.

Wonder how a 6 year would act on that max dose 60 mg MPH, That rebound horrifying.
While there are alternatives, XR-versions even of dex-Methylphenidate. So why MPH so much?

Last edited:
@tryptakid that's funny, I started biking to work too when I started the lifestyle change and that was huge. It still is, as you get this base level of fitness just traveling to and from work; you don't have to spend time later or go to the gym, that sort of thing. I didn't quit everything all at once. I still use Cannabis daily kind of how you describe your relationship with Alcohol. I'll generally take a hit off a vaporizer before lying down and watching netflix. In High School and college I was basically a compulsive user of Cannabis. Like the theme in this thread, time taught me that more was not better.

Now after a decade on Bluelight, I've morphed into the guy who tells everyone to moderate and not to smoke crack, which obviously makes me lame.

@tryptakid that's funny, I started biking to work too when I started the lifestyle change and that was huge. It still is, as you get this base level of fitness just traveling to and from work; you don't have to spend time later or go to the gym, that sort of thing. I didn't quit everything all at once. I still use Cannabis daily kind of how you describe your relationship with Alcohol. I'll generally take a hit off a vaporizer before lying down and watching netflix. In High School and college I was basically a compulsive user of Cannabis. Like the theme in this thread, time taught me that more was not better.

Now after a decade on Bluelight, I've morphed into the guy who tells everyone to moderate and not to smoke crack, which obviously makes me lame.
We also a geographic connection last I checked - I got clean in the Charlestown Recovery House (and I believe you may have lived over that way at some point?) 2008/2009, and despite growing up in the suburbs, I quickly became a city kid.

@tryptakid yea there's definitely a connection there. I'm from Lowell originally but I have friends and some family all around metro Boston and I've spent some time in Charlestown and South Boston Bostons a big city with some small town vibes so I'm guessing there are one or two people we might know mutually.

Pretty cool 😎

@tryptakid yea there's definitely a connection there. I'm from Lowell originally but I have friends and some family all around metro Boston and I've spent some time in Charlestown and South Boston Bostons a big city with some small town vibes so I'm guessing there are one or two people we might know mutually.

Pretty cool 😎
It's a small world after-all

When prescribed vyvanse I had 40mg capsules, I usually only wanted to take 2 of them at most, but most of the time I'd end up taking 4 when my tolerance got high, this isn't the most dextroamphetamine I've taken at once, moreso when I started to get intelligent this was the guideline I wanted to follow, but it's amphetamine so that doesn't necessarily work that way haha.

-Baphomet
:vampire::vampire::vampire:

what kind of meth do i need to closely replicate the feel of dextro? rn i just feel good, hardly any stim compared to the euphoria and i am on 30mg. everytime i do meth i feel like its a shot in the dark, lately the stuff i've gotten gets me euphoric for 10-30 mins then stimmed for 12. which meth is constantly euphoric? or is it purity issue?

I would concur with everything Keif says here - I've taken dexedrine for many years, at one point up to 40mg/day IR. I even started supplementing this dose with stuff like cyclazadone, ppap, and then even the designer amphetamines like 2-fma. I ***needed moaarrr stimulation*** and even though I would never have admitted it at the time, I was chasing. Some nights I would come home from work and just worry about my heart, have some drinks (or do some G) until I could pass out or take an ambien - rinse and repeat.

I eventually had a moment of clarity, I was very clearly abusing this stuff, not getting much benefit, and it was ruling my life in a way that I felt helpless around. I decided to just stop taking it, switched to a mixture of l-tyrosine, bupropion (welbutrin), and N-Acetyl-Cystine for about a week or so, to off-set the withdrawal syndrome (which was actually fairly effective). I then spent about 8 months off of it. I found after a while that something was lacking as I legitimately struggled to keep up with work demands and my mood was frequently low etc. I decided to revisit dexedrine but this time I decided that I wouldn't go above 20mg and I wouldn't use IR formulations.

I find XR to be much less prone to compulsivity, and I find that 10-20mg is honestly ideal for me. If I start taking higher doses than that, I tend to just get more edgy and have a harder time with task-switching. I also like to take lower doses on the weekends, vacation, holidays as it lets my mind 'downshift' for a time, and lets me build up a little cache of supply in the event I want to binge for a night or if pharmacy supplies are disrupted (which happens from time to time).
How do you get dexedrine prescription, what diagnosis is needed?

How do you get dexedrine prescription, what diagnosis is needed?
Some type of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, narcolepsy, or (rarely) for appetite control.

In the US, most providers will want to start you with something non-narcotic such as bupropion (welbutrin) which is also in the same family but lacks most of the recreational qualities that make amphetamine known for misuse. Depending on how you respond to bupropion will determine where they go from there. Alternately, if you are given a neuropsych evaluation, that can also factor into the determination of what medications to use. These are comprehensive assessments aimed at determining the types of functional deficits you face.

Why do you ask?

When prescribed vyvanse I had 40mg capsules, I usually only wanted to take 2 of them at most, but most of the time I'd end up taking 4 when my tolerance got high, this isn't the most dextroamphetamine I've taken at once, moreso when I started to get intelligent this was the guideline I wanted to follow, but it's amphetamine so that doesn't necessarily work that way haha.

-Baphomet
:vampire::vampire::vampire:
Al those XR version's amaze me, especially but LisDexamphetmine seems unnecessary. Maybe its useful for ex-addict's, as its an unbreakable time release afaik.

From the point of view of someone who was on MethylPhenidate, hating it. The ultra short duration and peripheral side effectś. With a lot of effort, finally got dextro-Amphetamine instead. And to me the come up is so smooth, unnoticeable, aswell as the stimulating side which is mostly mental. The lenght is long enough that 2 or 3 doses for a busy person cover the day. Never experienced a XR or the Lis version. I would be scared for sleep disturbance's. Which I never had on IR.