• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

dexmethylphenidate vs. methylphenidate

focalin is DEXmethylphenidate ER i believe... google to check... Ritalin is Methylphenidate... no "dex"

dex in my opinion has a less stronger high its kind of nice but it lasts much longer i will try some concerta tonight and snort it and see which is stronger.

I have a question but I am new to this and didn't know how to jied diust ask a question- all I saw was a reply button, so I hope this works... I have a couple questions about this speed- very familiar, been taking both for a long time and tried diff wtays and combos- anyway, saw a new focolin 40 by mylan- but with capsules u never know what ppl can do or replace with them, however, bc it was not the usual NVR type caps, i tried it... crushed way easier then the NVR's (without popping) but didn't get the same feeling... still trying to figure if it was the real shit or not... cause i was already tweaked... has anyone else tried these? Also- Love Ritalin- but the ones with the zs or something on them and they are yellow and green- very bad for injecting.... just doesn't work... concerta forget it- vyvanse- i don't feel shit from it at all- ppl around here still sell it to others and some swear by it, so what am i doing wrong there? Adderall is last resort- because i like to inject and those are not meant for that unless u can find the capsules... i will not buy speed unless i have something to come down with( like zans)- otherwise, u act like a crackhead and cannot stop. I'd like to know other ppl's opinions on what i've asked- please, maybe i am doing some wrong... thanks! ALso one more thing, ppl say I am speedballing but i am not doing this together at the same time, that would be pointless, hours later i use a few zans for the come down.

Last edited:
In my opinion both of those drugs are very low quality stimulants that have a host of negative side effects but if I had to pick between one I would say the Dexmethylphenidate would be your best bet because it has the least amount of side effects it is like him comparing Adderall to dexedrine as you all know the l amphetamine in the Adderall is what is responsible for the negative side effects while the d amp is smooth.

I take every day three IR 20mg methylphenidate tablets using Rubifen 20mg for ADD. I think dexmethylphenidate has double potency of methylphenidate and its action is longer lasting. Using IR forms 5mg of dexmethylphenidate is equivalent to 10mg of methylphenidate

about an hour and a half ago, i consumed 40mg xr focalin. I used to take methyphenidate(ritalin), and 40 mg would have me tweaked out but im not sure if the two substances are equally potent at the same dose.

IS methyphenidate just stronger than focalin, or am i not just feeling the full effects yet because it takes longer to peak when xr.

I would like to know this because if it is just as potent as ritalin, I def cant take another one or my parents will know somethings up.
It's the opposite. Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) is or is about 1.7 times stronger than Ritalin (methylphenidate). So you can think of 40 mg of Focalin as in the neighborhood of 68 mg of Ritalin. This may not be true for everyone, but in my experience the effects of Focalin and Ritalin (especially recreationally) are so dissimilar that the fact that they are both in the methylphenidate family is mostly an academic point.

I have only taken instant release Focalin, but in my opinion it is infinitely better recreationally than Ritalin, specifically when snorted. I should add the caveat that, when I have had the chance to snort Ritalin, it's only been with 5 mg pills. In contrast, with Focalin I mostly snorted the 10 mg instant release pills, the strongest instant release pills available (think: roughly equivalent to 17 mg of Ritalin). This dosage distinction is significant because it means that the sheer amount of powder I have had to snort with Ritalin made it pretty much impossible to snort a comparable amount of drugs within a comparable timeframe. Even so, I think my point stands, as I have observed marked differences orally as well.

Focalin is much smoother and more euphoric (many others have made the same observation). There is less of the edgy irritability and tweakiness. My general understanding is that pretty much all the good effects of methylphenidate come from the dextrorotary enantiomer and most of the negative/tweaky effects come from the levorotary enantiomer. If that's true, it would make sense that Focalin is better. Of course, if you binge Focalin enough or get addicted, you get the same negative side effects and comedown effects you get from other uppers. I have found Ritalin, even in high doses, to be relatively disappointing in terms of euphoria. However, I do think it is a good drug for focus and productivity. The difference between Focalin and Ritalin is great enough for me that, if I were buying one or the other for the purpose of getting high, I would probably pay twice as much for a comparable amount of Focalin.

As for comedowns (not that you asked), I don't think there is any getting around the fact that stimulant comedowns suck ass. The best way i know of to deal with the comedowns is to cushion them with anything that tends to relieve anxiety -- namely opiates, alcohol, and/or benzos. At this point, I pretty much never get high on stimulants without using downers or opiates as well. So I find that one of the dangers of stimulants is that they tend to promote polysubstance abuse. Some of it may be placebo for me. I need to know psychologically that I have some chemical to deal with the comedown if it gets too bad. That said, if I had access to Focalin, the lack of a comedown cushioner wouldn't stop me from using it. My subjective experience of the comedown is that I come down from the positive psychological effects well before I come down from the physiological arousal. When you are mentally euphoric and physically energetic, it's awesome. But when you are depressed or irritable or anxious or paranoid, being physically wound up is a terrible feeling. It sucks when all you want is to go to sleep, and your brain is in sleep mode, but you know your body won't let you sleep anytime soon.

For me, Focalin was a hell of a drug, which made it dangerous and addictive. So my advice is don't abuse this shit. But if you do, hopefully some of this info is helpful.

Last edited:
Focalin is much smoother and more euphoric (many others have made the same observation). There is less of the edgy irritability and tweakiness.

Long term adderall abuse, towards the end I started having horrible physical side effects. I had to stop because I was ripping up my mouth and tongue from biting so hard and it felt like I could feel my body decaying. I don’t know what happened, it was almost like I developed an allergy to it or something. I used to enjoy it, but it became a dirty drug that only made me miserable

But you’re right on about the smoothness of focalin. I did it for a long time and never had clenching issues, tightness, jaw problems, it’s so much cleaner. It’s more of a headspace almost, very social and not racey. Like coke, except I’ve always felt Focalin had one of the softer comedowns. Never had too much of a problem dealing with the comedown with magnesium, water, food and weed. Nice and easy.

The problem with abusing Focalin long term for me is it just kinda stopped working. But I much prefered it to adderall and really only had positive experiences with it. Nice chem. I think methylphenidate just isn’t for some people. I always hear divisive things.

It's the opposite. Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) is or is about 1.7 times stronger than Ritalin (methylphenidate). So you can think of 40 mg of Focalin as in the neighborhood of 68 mg of Ritalin. This may not be true for everyone, but in my experience the effects of Focalin and Ritalin (especially recreationally) are so dissimilar that the fact that they are both in the methylphenidate family is mostly an academic point.

I have only taken instant release Focalin, but in my opinion it is infinitely better recreationally than Ritalin, specifically when snorted. I should add the caveat that, when I have had the chance to snort Ritalin, it's only been with 5 mg pills. In contrast, with Focalin I mostly snorted the 10 mg instant release pills, the strongest instant release pills available (think: roughly equivalent to 17 mg of Ritalin). This dosage distinction is significant because it means that the sheer amount of powder I have had to snort with Ritalin made it pretty much impossible to snort a comparable amount of drugs within a comparable timeframe. Even so, I think my point stands, as I have observed marked differences orally as well.

Focalin is much smoother and more euphoric (many others have made the same observation). There is less of the edgy irritability and tweakiness. My general understanding is that pretty much all the good effects of methylphenidate come from the dextrorotary enantiomer and most of the negative/tweaky effects come from the levorotary enantiomer. If that's true, it would make sense that Focalin is better. Of course, if you binge Focalin enough or get addicted, you get the same negative side effects and comedown effects you get from other uppers. I have found Ritalin, even in high doses, to be relatively disappointing in terms of euphoria. However, I do think it is a good drug for focus and productivity. The difference between Focalin and Ritalin is great enough for me that, if I were buying one or the other for the purpose of getting high, I would probably pay twice as much for a comparable amount of Focalin.

As for comedowns (not that you asked), I don't think there is any getting around the fact that stimulant comedowns suck ass. The best way i know of to deal with the comedowns is to cushion them with anything that tends to relieve anxiety -- namely opiates, alcohol, and/or benzos. At this point, I pretty much never get high on stimulants without using downers or opiates as well. So I find that one of the dangers of stimulants is that they tend to promote polysubstance abuse. Some of it may be placebo for me. I need to know psychologically that I have some chemical to deal with the comedown if it gets too bad. That said, if I had access to Focalin, the lack of a comedown cushioner wouldn't stop me from using it. My subjective experience of the comedown is that I come down from the positive psychological effects well before I come down from the physiological arousal. When you are mentally euphoric and physically energetic, it's awesome. But when you are depressed or irritable or anxious or paranoid, being physically wound up is a terrible feeling. It sucks when all you want is to go to sleep, and your brain is in sleep mode, but you know your body won't let you sleep anytime soon.

For me, Focalin was a hell of a drug, which made it dangerous and addictive. So my advice is don't abuse this shit. But if you do, hopefully some of this info is helpful.
I have a Ritalin ir 5 mg and a focalin xr 5 mg script and honestly yeah the difference is pretty noticeable but I kinda enjoy the edginess of Ritalin to be honest I’m not typically doing stimulants for euphoria(tho it is an added bonus) but I really enjoy the physical effects I get, energy, shakes lol, brain stimulation etc. in that respect the Ritalin is better might just be because it’s instant release whereas focalin is extended. If I really want the best of both worlds I mix them with more leaning on focalin so as not to get sick. I’m geeking rn and my god is it one of my favorite drugs. Might honestly beat out coke for me, possibly even benzos. Never enjoyed opiates so not really my thing but a bit of Ritalin and alcohol is a heavenly experience. I need to quit eventually cause the prospect of Ritalin lung is a little too serious for me to not care. If I had steady access to adderall I’d probably switch to that because it’s much edgier imo but too many laced pills on the street and getting a script seems harder and harder. And coke breaks the fucking bank. Anyways sorry for rambling just thought I’d leave this here for anyone wondering in the future lol.

Purely anecdotal but I used to seek focalin so much harder than Ritalin the tweak outweighed it for sure friends in school getting prescribed but Adderall is my crack thankfully have not felt compelled to seek an ADHD script deep in the clutches of a long forgotten bender I have schemed how to get a script

Purely anecdotal but I used to seek focalin so much harder than Ritalin the tweak outweighed it for sure friends in school getting prescribed but Adderall is my crack thankfully have not felt compelled to seek an ADHD script deep in the clutches of a long forgotten bender I have schemed how to get a script
I’m trying to figure out how to quit or at least slow my usage but my healthcare providers make it too damn easy for me in my addictive tendencies to get the stuff I like. Maybe one day I can come clean and just tell my psych that I’m totally addicted. Oh well at least I’m not melting my brain on benzos anymore.