• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Dexamphetamine for ADHD after heavy meth use

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Hypothetically, if one had really maxed out the meth use and achieved a very high tolerance (let's call it a gram a day) but then stopped cold turkey, would it be the case that dexamphetamine prescribed for ADHD (prescribed dose 30 mg a day) would no longer be effective for relieving ADHD symptoms?

If so, would effectiveness of dexamphetamine (for ADHD) be expected to return after some period of recovery from the meth use?

Is this a dopamine thing for some other way meth fucks one up? I'm aware that on the comedown meth gives lots of people ADHD like symptoms (lack of concentration / focus /attention etc) for a period.

Basically I'm getting cleaner every day from meth abstinence but not feeling any effect from ADHD meds in terms of attention / concentration / focus etc etc. I feel the ADHD symptoms are a trigger / incentive to meth up again so I want them relieved by my prescribed meds again as fast as possible.

If it's cross-tolerance, would it make sense to up the dexamphetamine dose for a period and then taper back (this feels like abuse which is a slippery slope though)

They'd still be effective... you'd just not feel any euphoria. You might even stop feeling the up and down entirely. However, many people take adderall regularly and "do not feel it."

With meth use obviously you'd probably need a higher dose than the effects than 30 milligrams for now (within time your tolerance will start to lower to match the adderall). Over all, the drug never really stops helping you concentrate. Meth is a powerful stimulant. Way stronger than adderall as we all know but that's dependent on doses too. I think it would take more time to have the meds kick in the way they should. Stimulant tolerance really does take a long time to reset--especially after abuse. I find other substances to reset tolerance far faster than stimulant tolerance takes to lower back to baseline.

I don't think anything good comes from meth use lol. I suppose if you have genuine ADD/ADHD it could help benefit the user especially if they have absurd tolerance to amphetamines, but in general meth is a pretty dark addiction lol! I think if you do give up meth or relapse or what not--whatever happens--in your situation it would be wise to not slip into daily regular use with methamphetamine ever. You are already noticing a reduction of the effects from adderall and need it to function fro what it sounds like.

There will absolutely be cross tolerance and I do think you'd need a tolerance break to get the nootopic benefits of the dexamphetamine, but after a tol break it should work as normal. I agree you won't feel much if any euphoria, but hopefully with some time for your tolerance to drop you will get the therapeutic benefits.

I take dex most days and don't get high off it as a result but it still treats my ADHD.

It's probably not too different from starting to drink beer instead of hard liquor. "Hits the spot" but isn't quite potent enough for you to rock a strong buzz anymore. In other words, will feel good and "work" but won't get you "high" like meth did.

I think meth is a great way to ruin your entire life and dive straight into crazy town. So many people who use it frequently think that the light euphoria and "ability to get work done" comes without a price. It's like they've forgotten that it's a hard substance and is less detrimental than even weed. Based on what I've seen you post in the past, but I think it's best to try to avoid it completely. I understand addiction and I know relapsing is a realistic event, and can see how one would definitely miss the positive effects of meth.. but I've never seen anything good happen to someone with chronic meth use. Maybe for a few months it could make one more productive, but diminishing returns happen so quickly with stimulants and in time daily use will lead to the euphoric rush becoming unfeelable and the paranoia/negative aspects of stimulants will start to take over. Meth tends to affect user's behavior so astronomically that they can't even tell that their lives are falling apart and self-rationalize what's going on to blame anything but the drugs. Adderall is one thing, but meth is a completely different animal. Harder stimulant abuse can totally make someone permanently crazy and it's just not worth the dopamine rush at that point anymore. Not that there aren't functional meth users or people who can maintain self-control with the substance, but a majority number of meth addicts hit rock bottom and do not even realize it. I made it a point to never graduate to methamphetamine and I'm grateful for my personal choice lol. I don't bear ill-will to anyone who regularly uses methamphetamine, but it's too often forgotten that it's potentially a stronger substance than even heroin. Drugs usually act an equivalent exchange. For what is gained things are equally lost, and stimulants are quite taxing on one's mental/physical health. Unlike opiates--meth is neurotoxic in composition.

Last edited:
I think meth is a great way to ruin your entire life and dive straight into crazy town.

You are preaching to the converted here. It aint for me no more...I'm done with it (potential temporary relapses notwithstanding while I get far enough away from it.

I take dex most days and don't get high off it as a result but it still treats my ADHD.

Cool. I'm not interested in getting high from it (in fact I never really did) - I just want to treat my ADHD and become productive again after wasting the last few months on my meth adventure and doing nothing.

You are preaching to the converted here. It aint for me no more...I'm done with it (potential temporary relapses notwithstanding while I get far enough away from it.

I totally feel you haha. It's just when it comes to addiction in the grand scheme of things you can never predict what's ahead. I don't want to imply that self-control is removed from the equation, but sometimes with addiction it feels like you're possessed by an evil demonic spirit and suddenly making the wrong choice is the only thing you're interested in doing lol. So many people have relapsed when they've totally overcome addiction and appear as though their lives are back to being in great shape.. there aren't signs that someone is going to relapse most of the time and addiction is so wildly complex. Not saying I don't believe in you or anything like that, but I know with my own addictions I could not for the life of me control my relapses or when they would occur. I've too many times thought I was totally sober for the rest of my life (lol) and that I was finally happier and felt so accomplished as a human being. I'm not a heavy drug addict by any means, probably class C with class A being life-destroying heroin monster. Who knows where rock bottom is when it comes to addicts lol. There are some wicked people out there.

Should you relapse, just get the psychological fix out of the way in my opinion. Enjoy the euphoria and don't try to be too hard on yourself. It's good that you're free from meth use for the time being. I think because stimulants don't have a withdrawal that produces sickness like opiates per say that they assume stimulants are easy to walk away from. Let me tell you.... stimulant addiction runs deep within the soul. I find that I don't experience cravings for a long time after dosing up one day. But for some reason 3 weeks later I'm craving it more than I've ever craved anything in my life. I think that addictions just aren't the same from person to person. Using daily isn't the only way to be an addict. Everyone is so unique in using patterns. Good luck :) I love adderall. Too much lmao! Indeed I will chuck my adderall script one day. I'm not quite ready to grow up yet though. I love me some legal meth candy.

I think meth is a great way to ruin your entire life and dive straight into crazy town. So many people who use it frequently think that the light euphoria and "ability to get work done" comes without a price. It's like they've forgotten that it's a hard substance and is less detrimental than even weed. Based on what I've seen you post in the past, but I think it's best to try to avoid it completely. I understand addiction and I know relapsing is a realistic event, and can see how one would definitely miss the positive effects of meth.. but I've never seen anything good happen to someone with chronic meth use. Maybe for a few months it could make one more productive, but diminishing returns happen so quickly with stimulants and in time daily use will lead to the euphoric rush becoming unfeelable and the paranoia/negative aspects of stimulants will start to take over. Meth tends to affect user's behavior so astronomically that they can't even tell that their lives are falling apart and self-rationalize what's going on to blame anything but the drugs. Adderall is one thing, but meth is a completely different animal. Harder stimulant abuse can totally make someone permanently crazy and it's just not worth the dopamine rush at that point anymore. Not that there aren't functional meth users or people who can maintain self-control with the substance, but a majority number of meth addicts hit rock bottom and do not even realize it. I made it a point to never graduate to methamphetamine and I'm grateful for my personal choice lol. I don't bear ill-will to anyone who regularly uses methamphetamine, but it's too often forgotten that it's potentially a stronger substance than even heroin. Drugs usually act an equivalent exchange. For what is gained things are equally lost, and stimulants are quite taxing on one's mental/physical health. Unlike opiates--meth is neurotoxic in composition.
Do you think Dex abuse can have similar effects? I've had a growing Dex issue for several years. It used to make me feel cleverer. But now, on or off, I feel as dumb as fuck. Still, I can't even get out of bed without it now, so I don't know what to do ...even after two weeks of no Dex, I still feel shocking.

Do you think Dex abuse can have similar effects? I've had a growing Dex issue for several years. It used to make me feel cleverer. But now, on or off, I feel as dumb as fuck. Still, I can't even get out of bed without it now, so I don't know what to do ...even after two weeks of no Dex, I still feel shocking.

Unfortunately, 2 weeks isnt long enough to get you brain's chemical production back to normal if you've been using for years. But, that doesn't mean you permantly screwed. Depending on how much and in what way you used, you probably looking at months, not weeks. It should progressively get better though, not like a switch that flips after so many days clean.

There are ways to help speed up the recovery process but total abstainance is the most important factor.

I have used a lot of meth, never Dex. Which is basically just prescription meth, right?

Reactions: CFC
hey thanks! may I ask ... I'm assuming you're off meth now ....that awful flat feeling, the dearth of physical energy, the feeling of intellectual dullness, being so overwhelmingly bored, being unable to think of things to say ...I could tolerate this for months, if I knew it would go away eventually. Does it? I know one can't be "high on life" with same level of intensity. But I dimly recall being able to tolerate just ordinary days, and feeling good about real things. I feel like right now I'm like a spoilt brat: I wanna have a good time ALL the time and if I'm not, I glorify my flatness as "suffering".
Oh dear. Tis complicated. Sorry for loquacious reply. But I don't want to pathetically go back to my dealer today. This is helping me defer it...
Might get a few beers though...not that this is ideal, but it's better (and cheaper) than more Dex....

hey thanks! may I ask ... I'm assuming you're off meth now ....that awful flat feeling, the dearth of physical energy, the feeling of intellectual dullness, being so overwhelmingly bored, being unable to think of things to say ...I could tolerate this for months, if I knew it would go away eventually. Does it? I know one can't be "high on life" with same level of intensity. But I dimly recall being able to tolerate just ordinary days, and feeling good about real things. I feel like right now I'm like a spoilt brat: I wanna have a good time ALL the time and if I'm not, I glorify my flatness as "suffering".
Oh dear. Tis complicated. Sorry for loquacious reply. But I don't want to pathetically go back to my dealer today. This is helping me defer it...
Might get a few beers though...not that this is ideal, but it's better (and cheaper) than more Dex....

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's fucking hard to fight for the proverbial "light" at the end of the tunnel, when your whole world has turn gray! Trust me, I feel you. But, just the fact that you are aware that shit has to change and you might be willing to do it is so HUGE!!!

The answer to your question is absolutely, Yes. You will get better and I guarantee it! Your brain isnt permantly damaged and the misery of early recovery is only a temporary hell, its the price we pay.

If your serious about getting off Dex, stick around BL. Talk to people here. There are plenty of people who have been through what you are dealing with and will legitimately help you. There are things you can do to make it more bearable, so don't just white knuckle it alone. There no need for that.

You can PM me anytime.

Hey, bless you! Reassuring words - cheered me up a lot.
not altogether sure how to do PMs as I am new but I'll work out

hey thanks! may I ask ... I'm assuming you're off meth now ....that awful flat feeling, the dearth of physical energy, the feeling of intellectual dullness, being so overwhelmingly bored, being unable to think of things to say ...I could tolerate this for months, if I knew it would go away eventually. Does it?

Yes it goes away as long as you abstain. Once you get back to a normal sleeping schedule, you'll be amazed at how much better you feel.
Stay away from alcohol during this time too.
Besides just being really hard on every part of your body, if you experience meth cravings, drinking makes them exponentially worse.