• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Dexamphetamine binge and taper- hoping for some advice

Beetle36

Greenlighter
Hi

I just have a quick question it would be great if someone could help me with. I have searched the forums so my apologies if this has been covered or is posted in the wrong place.

A supply of dex was obtained after a week of non use. Normal dose is 9 5mg tablets a day (3x3). Have been taking regular doses for the last 3 days but topping up by taking one tablet whenever the effect was wearing off. The main issue is more has been taken than anticipated or counted. The remaining tablets have been counted and it seems approx 100mg could have been consumed on each of the last 3 days - this scares me a little that I could take so much without realising. I was focussed on beating my friend at cards.

Have still been sleeping except for tonight and eating and hydrating. The only odd symptoms are a weird stiff sensation in one hand and breathing seems a bit heavier than normal. During the day today felt a little shaky when pills started to wear off - at least I figure that is what it was as taking more seemed to stop that. At the moment tired but still motivated to do things but going to try and get some sleep after this post.

My main question it what would be a good tapering tactic - I think it could be short as was only a 3 day binge following a week off? I am on holidays so don't have to achieve too much in the next few days. I am down to 2 5mg valium tablets that I am saving for an emergency and have access to olanzopine, catapres and circadin. I have an ample supply of dex.

Do you think it would be too much to drop it straight down to 15 tablets for a couple of days then back down to 9? Please let me know what you think. Like I said a slower taper is possible meds wise.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beetle

I don’t think you need to taper, you can just quit taking them altogether for a few days if you’re worried about your recent binge, and it would be a good idea to do so I think. You say that 45mg is your standard dose, but that is actually quite a lot of dexamph to be taking daily.

Hi

Thanks for your quick response.

My aim is to get back to taking my prescribed dose of 3, 5mg tablets 3 times a day until mid next week and then have a few days off it before I go back to work - I really noticed my tolerance drop even after 4-5 days without my meds. I know that is a high dose but is what it takes to work the hours I do and is exactly what is prescribed. I am not in danger of running out even without days off which why I could afford to taper if that would be better.

Thanks
Beetle

The more time you can take off without dosing the better - amphetamine tolerance is a bitch to get rid of. The less you build up the better off you’ll be. You could quit cold turkey now and not have any problems.